Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 940
    Easily LTK. The best main villain in the series with a top bunch of side-villains. For those who criticise it for not feeling like a Bond movie, I don't agree. As well as having several extracts from Fleming novels, Dalton gives a top notch humane Bond performance in my view. And I love the way Bond carefully tears little parts of Sanchez's organisation apart bit by bit when he so easily could have killed him when he got the chance. Pam is a great leading lady, certainly not 'Bond-equal' enough to be frustratingly stepping on our hero's toes but perfectly capable in her own skills (being able to fly a plane, take part in a little fighting, and using her sexuality and common sense to her advantage). Elsewhere, my only two main critical points are the "I love James so much" line and the score is no match for John Barry, which fans had been spoilt with over the years. I never used to be a big fan of this film but it's shot right up in my rankings recently and I find it extremely re-watchable.

When you consider QOS has Bond not ending up with a girl, the film not starting with a gun barrel, cringeworthy singing in the theme, awful editing that ruins beautiful scenery/action, the length of movie being far too short, and the film's scipt writing problems, I see this as a no-brainer. In fact, all this and the lack of MP and Q would make QOS far less of a Bond movie compared to LTK. Over all, QOS is above many films in the series but it could have been so much better in my opinion, especially with the expectations after CR. I think SF will blow both Craig films out the water.

PS - I would have voted MR in the previous round.
    LTK
    But must say the more I watch QoS the more and more I like it, feel tempted to move it up on my list.

List of rating
    LTK - 9
    QoS - 15
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 147
    slyfox wrote:
    Easily LTK. The best main villain in the series with a top bunch of side-villains. For those who criticise it for not feeling like a Bond movie, I don't agree. As well as having several extracts from Fleming novels, Dalton gives a top notch humane Bond performance in my view. And I love the way Bond carefully tears little parts of Sanchez's organisation apart bit by bit when he so easily could have killed him when he got the chance. Pam is a great leading lady, certainly not 'Bond-equal' enough to be frustratingly stepping on our hero's toes but perfectly capable in her own skills (being able to fly a plane, take part in a little fighting, capable of common sense and using her sexuality to her advantage). My only two main critical points are the "I love James so much" line and the score is no match for John Barry, which fans had been spoilt with over the years. I never used to be a big fan of this film but it's shot right up in my rankings recently and I find it extremely re-watchable.

When you consider QOS has Bond not ending up with a girl, the film not starting with a gun barrel, cringeworthy singing in the theme, awful editing that ruins beautiful scenery/action, the length of movie being far too short, and the film's scipt writing problems, I see this as a no-brainer. In fact, all this and the lack of MP and Q would make QOS far less of a Bond movie compared to LTK. Over all, QOS is above many films in the series but it could have been so much better in my opinion, especially with the expectations after CR. I think SF will blow both Craig films out the water.

I totally agree on most parts on what you say here.
    There is a reason why QoS was made the way it was and I truly believe that down the year more and more people will respect it for what it is. I for one like the gun barrel at the end of QOS it sort of end the story that started at CR with QoS being a direct sequel. I recommend you to read this but only if you want to. http://www.money-into-light.com/2012/03/bigger-picture-quantum-of-solace-marc.html?m=1
    Sorry for the duplicate comment.

Wish they can add a "Delete Comment" next to the Edit one.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 940
    WVPoef wrote:
    slyfox wrote:
    Easily LTK. The best main villain in the series with a top bunch of side-villains. For those who criticise it for not feeling like a Bond movie, I don't agree. As well as having several extracts from Fleming novels, Dalton gives a top notch humane Bond performance in my view. And I love the way Bond carefully tears little parts of Sanchez's organisation apart bit by bit when he so easily could have killed him when he got the chance. Pam is a great leading lady, certainly not 'Bond-equal' enough to be frustratingly stepping on our hero's toes but perfectly capable in her own skills (being able to fly a plane, take part in a little fighting, and using her sexuality and common sense to her advantage). Elsewhere, my only two main critical points are the "I love James so much" line and the score is no match for John Barry, which fans had been spoilt with over the years. I never used to be a big fan of this film but it's shot right up in my rankings recently and I find it extremely re-watchable.

I totally agree on most parts on what you say here.
    There is a reason why QoS was made the way it was and I truly believe that down the year more and more people will respect it for what it is. I for one like the gun barrel at the end of QOS it sort of end the story that started at CR with QoS being a direct sequel. I recommend you to read this but only if you want to. http://www.money-into-light.com/2012/03/bigger-picture-quantum-of-solace-marc.html?m=1

Interesting link, thanks. Whilst the uniqueness of QOS in years to come will be more evident, I don't think it will have the same later-date appeal which the likes of OHMSS, TLD and LTK have increasingly had over the years. Still, time will tell...
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    A non contest for me this round.
    Licence To Kill wins.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Licence To Kill!
    00Beast wrote:
    As for the previous round, For Your Eyes Only took the cake over Moonraker with nearly double the its votes!

What were the total numbers of votes for each film, 00Beast?

Licence to Kill since it was easier to discern the action and storyline in that one.

I believe it was 9-19 in favor of FYEO.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Licence to Kill for me. It gets some major nostalgia points for being the first Bond film I saw, but it overall holds together better, too.

10. Licence to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    15. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    0iker0 wrote:
    I'm going with Quantum 0f
    S0lace
    Just because it feels more Bond to me and, I think that Dalton is the worst Bond, not actor, of them all. Plus just the tosca scene itself beats the whole LTK, although QOS has other great scenes, like the last one, where he throws the neaklace... QOS is so underrated(runs and hides)
    No, don't run and hide. You're right!
    ;)
    SJK91 wrote:
    Licence to Kill for me. It gets some major nostalgia points for being the first Bond film I saw, but it overall holds together better, too.

10. Licence to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
    15. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    16. Quantum of Solace (2008) - 6/10

Yeah, nostalgia always plays a major part in determining rankings and all that. One good reason for me ranking GE and FRWL as highly as I do is just pure nostalgia, among other, stronger reasons as well.
    0iker0 wrote:
    I'm going with Quantum 0f
    S0lace
    Just because it feels more Bond to me and, I think that Dalton is the worst Bond, not actor, of them all. Plus just the tosca scene itself beats the whole LTK, although QOS has other great scenes, like the last one, where he throws the neaklace... QOS is so underrated(runs and hides)
    No, don't run and hide. You're right!
    ;)

This.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Respect QoS for what it is? What it is is cobbled together chopped up, incomplete footage. This film isn't like OHMSS where that film's biggest flaw was recasting Bond with an inexperienced actor. One can say what they like about Lazenby but the film itself is superb and was horrendously underappreciated for decades. QoS on the other hand had solid acting but the film itself is a mess full of unrealised potential.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 774
    QoS, I find Daniel Craig's acting better. Didn't really like either.
    Well, as expected, License to Kill received the heavier amount of votes and has crush QoS in this round. Congratulations to Dalton winning over Craig! Anyway, on to the next round! It'll be a Connery vs. Brosnan smash up as we pick between:

You Only Live Twice vs. Tomorrow Never Dies
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 154
    TND. I fond YOLT a little bit boring. In my opinion
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    YOLT.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    QoS loses to LTK huh? Shocker. But, Saving Private Ryan lost to Shakespeare in Love after all.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    TND - I like a lot of it and I like Yeoh with Brosnan. Although I like plenty of YOLT, too.
    YOLT, but TND is a strong contender.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Both these films aren't that great IMO. However, both films have their strong points and some of the most memorable scenes in the series.

TND has the legendary Dr Kaufman scenes.
    Bond escaping Carvers' warehouse
    Bond's "lost at sea...adrift" retort.

YOLT on the other hand is saturated with iconography. Too much for me to really go into but to name a few, Blofeld's face reveal, Blofeld's pirahnah pool, the mountain base raid
    Tiger Tanaka
    Henderson
    Bond vs The Rock's grandaddy in Osato towers
    Helge Brandt and her healthy chest
    Little Nelly
    The PTS
    The score and cinematography

Both films are nowhere being the best of the respective actor's outings but if I had to chose for the sake of picking a winner I pick YOLT.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    You Only Live Twice
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Good one!

Gotta go with You Only Live Twice. It's in my top 3.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 562
    You Only Live Twice

This should have been a no-brainer, but I found myself seriously considering voting TND. For some reason it's starting to become my favourite of Brosnan's and slowly climbing my ranking of the films.
    I quite enjoy TND but YOLT wins this one. Lewis Gilbert, Nancy Sinatra and Ken Adam's sets are huge plus points.

I will say this though - Brosnan's TND performance is better than Connery's in Twice IMO.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Again, I'll need to watch them both. It's another close call but these are at the bottom of the list.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Tomorrow Never Dies for me. Brosnan pulls in a brilliant performance. It's like the Spy Who Loved Me of the 1990's.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Murdock wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies for me. Brosnan pulls in a brilliant performance. It's like the Spy Who Loved Me of the 1990's.
    Yeah, good point.

Murdock wrote:
    Yeah, good point.
    I´ve noted this to myself before. TND is TSWLM and DAD is MR.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Murdock wrote:
    Yeah, good point.
    I´ve noted this to myself before. TND is TSWLM and DAD is MR.

Good call. I love all 4 of these outings.