Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

The whole Little Nellie sequence is out of this world. A Q-helicopter? Cubby really was the master.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    edited April 2012 Posts: 7,854
    Little Nellie: Great idea, poor execution.
    This surprised me greatly, but it seems that YOLT has beaten TND 17 votes to 10 votes. Well, on to the next round!

Sean Connery will go head to head with Timothy Dalton as we choose between the former's fourth and the latter's first. Ladies and gentlemen, here's the match-up:

Thunderball vs. The Living Daylights
    Tough one. I think I will go with TB, as it´s more of a classic Bond film, and I prefer Connery. Both are good though.
    Interesting match up. This might sound like blashemy but I never cared for TB. It just drags in certain places and has some really ugly looking cinematography that needed some polishing. But then again TLD's cinematography was nothing to brag about either. Anyway this one's easy. The Living Daylights.
    Interesting match up. This might sound like blashemy but I never cared for TB. It just drags in certain places and has some really ugly looking cinematography that needed some polishing. But then again TLD's cinematography was nothing to brag about either. Anyway this one's easy. The Living Daylights.

It does drag a lot, I can see your point clearly there! Certainly one of the longer Bond movies, with a horribly slow pace in several areas, and the 2 hour 10 minute run-time feels much longer.
    Thunderball
    The Living Daylights

In any Dalton vs Connery match-up, Dalton will always win it for me.
  • DB5DB5
    I've got to go with TLD. I've always thought TB was overrated. It does drag, especially when Largo is retrieving the missiles, that sequence takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R! Quite a bit of action in TLD, especially in the beginning.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Thunderball. Both great films but it is classic Bond vs. post-classic era Bond in my view. I really do love both entries and Connery's and Dalton's work.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Thunderball. Both great films but it is classic Bond vs. post-classic era Bond in my view. I really do love both entries and Connery's and Dalton's work.

Off-topic I'm sorry, but congratulations for this being your 5000th post Samuel! That's quite an accomplishment!
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    As refreshing as TLD was, it's still not the epic that TB was.

A vote for Thunderball.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2012 Posts: 28,694
    TB all the way.

Connery(TB already won)+sexy villainess and main Bond girls+underwater action+a plot that makes you feel how big the risk is+seeing all the 00 agents meeting on an epic set+Tom freaking Jones+SPECTRE= A winner over TLD. The 2nd best Connery for me.
    This is really not as straight foward for me as I imagined

Yes, once again, Dalton best Bond in his best Bond adventure, one of the best of the entire series even

But Thunderball is such a good outing and I'm quite torn between these, they are both very good Bond material

I'll go with my initial thoughts and declare Daylights the winner this time
    The Living Daylights

Timothy Dalton is superb in his first outing, the music is incredible, the pacing is great, the action is very entertaining, the locations are very good, and even the villains to some extent are enjoyable, such as Necros and Brad Whitaker.

This one wasn't terribly difficult, but let it be said that Thunderball has most of the same qualities I listed for TLD except pacing, which might be the defining reason that it doesn't beat TLD. Also, I prefer Dalton over Connery.
    I felt Whitaker was an awful adversary in 1987, as was Koskov in the end. Only Necros for me felt the slightest bit threatening of the trio. The main villain was almost as bad as Julian Glover's Kristatos or Kurt Jurgen's Stromberg for me, if that was not bad enough he did in a way, come back again as a CIA agent in future Brosnan movies :-((
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 774
    Thunderball by far. My favourite Bond film. Connery at his finest. Though TLD is in my top 10.
    I felt Whitaker was an awful adversary in 1987, as was Koskov in the end. Only Necros for me felt the slightest bit threatening of the trio. The main villain was almost as bad as Julian Glover's Kristatos or Kurt Jurgen's Stromberg for me, if that was not bad enough he did in a way, come back again as a CIA agent in future Brosnan movies :-((

You didn't like Kristatos? I can see the dislike for semi-campy Whitaker and the dull Stromberg, but I like Kristatos. He's an excellent "plain-faced" villain, one of those who you would have never suspected type of guys. Between him and one of his counterparts, Dominic Greene, the "ordinary" villain approach certainly worked better for Kristatos.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    TLD is more Bondian and I vote for it.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Extremely close one for me. These two films are at a near virtual tie, but when all is said and done - I give it to Thunderball...by that much.

5. Thunderball (1965) - 8.5/10
    6. The Living Daylights (1987) - 8.5/10
    I'm with Thunderball in this one. None of them are in my top ten, but, Thunderball beats The Living Daylights without a doubt :
    11. Thunderball
    12. Live And Let Die
    13. The Living Daylights
    Runner-up Bond and runner-up film -
    The Living Daylights.
    It's got great Cold War theme, nice Czeco (can't write in English) Čekoslovakijos escaping, a little stupid girl. And the plot is darker.

TB is also good, but dull (boring),.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    TB easily. The script, the dialogue, the girls, the villains, Tom Jones. It encompassed Bond mania!
    Say what you like about the under water scenes but at the time is revolutionary film making and even today it's still impressively epic. Thunder all all the way.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TB

I really enjoy TLD, it's one of the best Bonds ever! And being the fierce Daltonite that I am, it feels like blasphemy to pick TB over TLD. Yet, despite all of my good intentions as a loyal Dalton fan, I must admit that the classic epic, TB, being incidentally one of the very first Bonds I ever saw, ranks higher on my list.
    It'll have to be TB on this occasion.

Beautifully shot - and I mean BEAUTIFULLY. Connery at the top of his game, Fiona Volpe, Tom Jones and lines like "mind if my friend sits this one out, she's just dead".

Its by no means a perfect Bond move but TB is cracking entertainment..
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Not even close - a plodding dullfest v a classic cold war thriller with spectacular action scenes rather than infinite shots of people having their air hose cut or their mask pulled off.

TLD all the way.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    <b>TB</b>
    TLD all the way.

Great action, great plot, stars the best Bond ever, and the PTS is probably the best in the series. The only thing that can beat TLD is LTK.
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    THUNDERBALL... it's one of my favourites... why? The locations, the style, beautiful photography, underrated score, maybe Connery's best (and most laid-back) performance!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,690
    JWPepper wrote:
    THUNDERBALL... it's one of my favourites... why? The locations, the style, beautiful photography, underrated score, maybe Connery's best (and most laid-back) performance!

Awesome username and avatar !!!!!!! :-bd