Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    00Beast wrote:
    Well, as expected, License to Kill received the heavier amount of votes and has crush QoS in this round. Congratulations to Dalton winning over Craig! Anyway, on to the next round! It'll be a Connery vs. Brosnan smash up as we pick between:

You Only Live Twice vs. Tomorrow Never Dies

I wouldn't say QOS got crushed. It got a fair amount of votes.

As for this next round of films were Bond sports his naval uniform Im going with YOLT. This round actually will have a film crushing the other. Even though Connery seems bored YOLT is a classic.
    Murdock wrote:
    Tomorrow Never Dies for me. Brosnan pulls in a brilliant performance. It's like the Spy Who Loved Me of the 1990's.
    Yeah, good point.
    I´ve noted this to myself before. TND is TSWLM and DAD is MR.

Good call. I love all 4 of these outings.

All of those are without a doubt in my top 10.

• edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    Watching the TND Kaulfman scene atm. The way Brozza delivers the "me too" line is arguably more "badass" than anything Connery did in YOLT.

Plus..."you have a doctorate in that (torture) too?"

"No no no...zis is more like a hobby...but I'm very gifted"

"oh I believe you (smiles)"

Should I consider changing my opinion?

Hmm...

Nah, Twice is better put together as a whole ;)
    YOLT
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I'm going to give YOLT the nod this time, but I do genuinely enjoy TND. A harder match-up than one might think.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 774
    YOLT - many reasons, but the biggest are Connery (despite being bored of the role) being better than Brosnan and the music being far superior.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,310
    Benny wrote:
    I'm going to give YOLT the nod this time, but I do genuinely enjoy TND. A harder match-up than one might think.
    You hit it on the head, good sir. You Only Live Twice for me as well.

9. You Only Live Twice (1967) - 7.5/10
    10. License to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    I'm really tired but I've got to give this to You Only Live Twice

Both films are a major letdown, dull, bland, mundane, uninteresting, devoid of vigor or life often enough etc, and Connery just stays marooned in Japan for the duration but there are some redeeming factors there, plus it has the Nancy Sinatra sound track, one of the best Bond intros

Tomorrow Never Dies is almost on par with Die Another Day for Brosnan actually, but not quite so bad. Apart from a great teaser at the Russian arms fair, Cheryl Crow song and Bond sneaking around Hamburg, it quickly degenerates into the same boring banality of the above film, as Bond and Yeoh work together in Saigon against an insipid Johnathan Pryce who just looks as disinterested as everyone else. I usually switch off by then. Pity really as Brosnan did so well in the two films on either side of this, but it's not a release that I acknowledge with any real passion or interest
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    I vote for YOLT due to it being less ridiculous.
    A really close one for me, I got YOLT in the 19th position and TND in the 18th
    YOLT.

This film is the Bond team at the top of their game.

TND is abit of a mess with the cardinal sin of Bond tearing around like Rambo in the last ten minutes. And a truly misjudged villain performance by Jonanthan Pryce. Excruciating.
    actonsteve wrote:
    YOLT.

TND is abit of a mess with the cardinal sin of Bond tearing around like Rambo in the last ten minutes. And a truly misjudged villain performance by Jonanthan Pryce. Excruciating.

Apparently there was a lot of problems production-wise with TND. Pryce's character was changed and a lot of scenes were re-written or cut out. I remember reading in Judi Dench's biography that she was expected to learn a lot of new dialogue at very short notice and that she didn't get on with Roger Spottiswode.
  • YOLT for me.

I can never resist the Bond team from that era - it had Connery, Peter Hunt editing, a John Barry score, and, of course, not just a Ken Adam set, but THAT Ken Adam set - the most outrageous, exuberant, creation of its time (perhaps of all time) - the extraordinary volcano lair. I love Ken Adam. He is probably the figure from Bond history I admire the most. His work was just jaw dropping. Nobody has come close to topping him, since his last effort in 1979, in my opinion. YOLT is his masterpiece.

Not my favourite Bond movie by a long shot, but it has enough ingredients to overcome TND.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    TND
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited March 2012 Posts: 13,894
    Tough choice. Both films were Bond firsts, YOLT being the first Bond I watched, TND being the first one I watched on the big sceen. And both are amogsnt my favourite Bond films.

I guess i'd pick... YOLT, but only just.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    TND It has a better Bond performance, a better plot, not a better villain but a better actor for a villain, I love the gadgets that the car has but I wish they were on a better car (the DB5, for instance).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:
    YOLT.

Apparently there was a lot of problems production-wise with TND. Pryce's character was changed and a lot of scenes were re-written or cut out. I remember reading in Judi Dench's biography that she was expected to learn a lot of new dialogue at very short notice and that she didn't get on with Roger Spottiswode.

Which is exactly the same thing that QoS gets cudgled for..

Regarding Pryce, I remembered being stunned on first viewing by his performance. Its abit like Dr Who the performances must be played straight and not sent up. If its sent up the whole thiing collapses and Pryce was definitely sending it up or not taking it seriously. The menace disapears.

Along with Gustav Graves my least favourite Bond villlain of all time.

I must admit I don't mind Pryce. Yes he's hammy but he does get some quite funny/memorable lines.

"the difference between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

"when you remove Mr Bond's heart there should just about be enough time to watch it...stop..beating".

You have a vivid imagination...for a banker.

Brosnan's not-too-subtle quips about being "adrift" and "lost at sea" remind me of Connery's smug "spectre of defeat" remarks in TB.
  • TND and its not even close.
    Tomorrow Never Dies for me, it's so much better than YOLT in every aspect. The action is just unbelieveably cool, the locations are far more spectacular, the music is better, Brosnan's spot-on performance destroys Connery's half-dead performance, the villains are far better (yes, Carver beats Pleasance Blofeld, sorry), and I could go on and on!
    00Beast wrote:
    l, the locations are far more spectacular,

M ore spectacular then Ted Moores cinematography of the Japanese island at sunset? Of Tokyo? Of Henji castle? Of Hong Kong harbour?

TND whizzes through Hamburg and we only see the outside of a hotel. It could be set in Billericay. Bangkok stands in for Ho Chi Minh City and Phang Nga bay stands in for Halong bay. They dont even go to Vietnam.

Sorry, cant agree sweetie.

actonsteve wrote:
    00Beast wrote:
    l, the locations are far more spectacular,

M ore spectacular then Ted Moores cinematography of the Japanese island at sunset? Of Tokyo? Of Henji castle? Of Hong Kong harbour?

TND whizzes through Hamburg and we only see the outside of a hotel. It could be set in Billericay. Bangkok stands in for Ho Chi Minh City and Phang Nga bay stands in for Halong bay. They dont even go to Vietnam.

Sorry, cant agree sweetie.

I just really find YOLT's cinematography at times to be rather bland and blah, as if someone threw up on the camera after eating a bad meal or something. Not saying anything about Japan or any of those locations, I'm sure they're fascinating, but I just don't see YOLT as a stunning Bond movie locations-wise.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    Both would be in the bottom end of my rankings. Hmm, tough one but I'm going to surprise myself and go for TND this once. Whilst Connery is the ultimate Bond legend to me, his performance was extremely lazy and lacking enthusiasm, especially after the recent greats of TB and co. Also, Roald Dahl was a bad choice, far better suited for children's fiction. The Little Nellie fight was dull and un-interesting for me too. I'm voting TND simply because the GIANT landslide from YOLT's previous film (TB) and GIANT hike up to the next film (OHMSS) were far steeper.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    slyfox wrote:
    Also, Roald Dahl was a bad choice, far better suited for children's fiction.

Roald Dahl was a great choice for Bond. His books are suprisingly dark and creepy at times, more so than people think. I used to love him as a kid and still do as an adult. Dahl also wrote a fair share of short stories for grown ups - several of which I've read ("Lamb to The Slaughter" being a particularly good one).

Plus, don't forget Fleming wrote Chitty Chitty Bang Bang - a book for children ;)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 940
    BAIN123 wrote:
    slyfox wrote:
    Also, Roald Dahl was a bad choice, far better suited for children's fiction.

Roald Dahl was a great choice for Bond. His books are suprisingly dark and creepy at times, more so than people think. I used to love him as a kid and still do as an adult.

He's superb with the books and I agree their dark/creepy impact can still be felt by adults. However, I think he was out of his depth in the Bond universe. The biggest key contributers to YOLT for me are John Barry and Ken Adam.
    YOLT has my favorite villian base, I mean rockets, helicopters, a villian with a cat, crater guns, guards in uniform, monorail and a piraya pool. It doesn´t get better than this.
    The climax there is out of this world. Amazing!
    I'm going to say TND, for me it's probably the best Brosnan outing, despite the iconic elements I just don't think YOLT is that great.
    slyfox wrote:
    Both would be in the bottom end of my rankings. Hmm, tough one but I'm going to surprise myself and go for TND this once. Whilst Connery is the ultimate Bond legend to me, his performance was extremely lazy and lacking enthusiasm, especially after the recent greats of TB and co. Also, Roald Dahl was a bad choice, far better suited for children's fiction. The Little Nellie fight was dull and un-interesting for me too. I'm voting TND simply because the GIANT landslide from YOLT's previous film (TB) and GIANT hike up to the next film (OHMSS) were far steeper.

Yeah, I also didn't find the Little Nellie helicopter battle that exciting. For me, it was just a way to cram in some more gadgets, and the battle itself is rather badly shot and lacks energy. I'd easily take TND's airplane PTS over the Little Nellie stuff.
    00Beast wrote:
    slyfox wrote:

Yeah, I also didn't find the Little Nellie helicopter battle that exciting. For me, it was just a way to cram in some more gadgets, and the battle itself is rather badly shot and lacks energy.
    Add that to some truly horrendous model shots that have not aged well at all... ;)

Still picked YOLT though. Not by much, but still.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Yes, it really seems like Connery was just checking the Nellie gadgets and pressing the buttons in order... :))