Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    <b>GE</b>
    No brainer....The Living Daylights all the way.

You cant believe what a bucket of cold water this was in 1987. Since DAF we had terrific but cartoonish Bonds. Where the character, as much as I love Rogs' portrayal, was a one dimensional bon viveur gallivanting around the world with oneliners. With Dalton we had James Bond back. That sense of danger had returned. That steely glint in his eye. The fact that he would kill you as soon as look at you. That sense of menace we lost when Connery left. So many great scenes with TLD..Pushkin at gunpoint, the Prater Park, "Death to spies Minister.." It took a format and series and shook it to its core.

Goldeneye on the other hand....

I felt was a step backwards. The progress of the Dalton years was jettisoned to keep audiences cuddly. We had a Bond who had been the king in waiting so long he didnt need to try so he brought nothing new to the role, a frankly ridiculous story of a man stealing a weapons satellite which had been done so many times before, cliche after cliche to assure the unimaginative that this was still the unadventurous films we had before and the usual cliched explosians and gunfights. All jazzed up with a little bit of 90s self reverentialism ("sexist mysogist dinosaur").

GE is as reassuring and staid as AVTAK in its own way. Its afraid to go down the road trod before in case it alienates its audience. Its cautiousness taken to extremes.

Thats why nowadays its one of my least favourites.
    Both are very worthwhile additions to the series, but I'm going with Daylights, it simply has that feel of real spy Bond and all the franchise entails, something that Goldeneye always doesn't manage to achieve. Daltons first is his best without question and you watch and think, this is so similar to Connery in his earliest appearances

Living Daylights wins
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Both are solid entries but The Living Daylights gets my vote. Although it might not have been the success GE was in many ways I felt like TLD was the last "classic" Bond film in that it was the last one with a Cold War setting, the last John Barry score, the last Good Guy Army vs. Bad Guy Army finale, and the second to last to be produced by Cubby Broccoli. Plus Dalton simply has always worked for me as Bond. And excellent debut and performance.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 11,189
    actonsteve wrote:

You cant believe what a bucket of cold water this was in 1987. Since DAF we had terrific but cartoonish Bonds. Where the character, as much as I love Rogs' portrayal, was a one dimensional bon viveur gallivanting around the world with oneliners. With Dalton we had James Bond back. That sense of danger had returned. That steely glint in his eye. The fact that he would kill you as soon as look at you. That sense of menace we lost when Connery left. So many great scenes with TLD..Pushkin at gunpoint, the Prater Park, "Death to spies Minister.." It took a format and series and shook it to its core.

It's probably just me but watching this scene, he doesn't strike me as that dangerous. More like a handsome senior secondary school teacher shooing off a lovestruck pupil.

(urgh...that Barry Manilow line makes me cringe everytime I hear it!)

There are some effective scenes like the stuff with Saunders and Pushkin but if you want someone who looks like they WILL kill you in the blink of an eye go no further than the CR pts.

Plus, in fairness to Moore he DID have darker moments like Dalton.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Pass. This is too close to call and I'd have to rewatch them both to decide.
    GoldenEye all the way, no explanation needed!
    The Living Daylights for me. Both are superior Bond films, but I prefer Dalton to Brosnan by a long shot.

6. The Living Daylights (1987) - 8.5/10
    7. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - 8.5/10
    8. GoldenEye (1995) - 8/10
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Aw s**t. I knew it would come to this, someday. Having to pick between the greatest Cold War Bond film (FRWL a close second) and the film that inspired the game that brought Bond to me in the first place.

GE
    Brosnan as Bond
    Trevelyn's a great villain
    Jack Wade's funny
    Q's hilarious
    good plot
    the game and the WiiMake

TLD
    Dalton as Bond
    three great villains
    Kara Milovy is an awesome Bond girl
    John Rhys Davies is a great ally, who should have been in later Bond films
    a better soundtrack
    the Ghetto Blaster
    Caroline Bliss was a hotter Moneypenny

TLD wins.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I love both of these films! I like Dalton as Bond but I like Brosnan alittle better; plus GE has a special place in my heart.

GoldenEye FTW!!!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    The Living Daylights wins this round for me without a doubt. Far superior film in all aspects.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,492
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [

It's probably just me but watching this scene, he doesn't strike me as that dangerous. More like a handsome senior secondary school teacher shooing off a lovestruck pupil.

. People dont tend to have the killer in their eyes when they are relaxing.

Y
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    LTK won? \:D/

Anyway...

TLD vs GE.
    - Better Bond (performance)
    - Better Girl
    - Better Villain(s)
    - Better M
    - Better Moneypenny
    - Better Score
    - Better Gadgets
    - Better Look
    - Better Tone

I could have saved myself time by saying that TLD is better in every way possible. TLD also feels like the series is genuinely moving fowards in a fresh new direction.

TLD = the best Bond film.
    GE = a Dalton film, minus Dalton.

Anyway...

TLD vs GE.
    - Better Girl
    - Better Villain(s)
    - Better M
    - Better Moneypenny
    - Better Score
    - Better Gadgets
    - Better Look
    - Better Tone

I could have saved myself time by saying that TLD is better in every way possible. TLD also feels like the series is genuinely moving fowards in a fresh new direction.

Just a few corrections ;)
    This is going to be hard:
    GE is Brosnan's best, TLD is Dalton's best. Natalya is a great Bond girl, so is Kira. Sean Bean and Gottfried John are better villains, but TLD has Necros. GE has a greater M, TLD has a greater ally (Felix Leiter vs. Jack Wade). GE has greater TS and Song, but TLD has better gadgets.
    One thing made me choose GoldenEye: Better dialogs.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:

Anyway...

TLD vs GE.
    - Better Girl
    - Better Villain(s)
    - Better M
    - Better Moneypenny
    - Better Score
    - Better Gadgets
    - Better Look
    - Better Tone

Just a few corrections ;)

That is the best joke i've ever read. =))
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

(urgh...that Barry Manilow line makes me cringe everytime I hear it!)

There are some effective scenes like the stuff with Saunders and Pushkin but if you want someone who looks like they WILL kill you in the blink of an eye go no further than the CR pts.

Plus, in fairness to Moore he DID have darker moments like Dalton.

Im not sure it's fair to judge Dalton off of one scene. I pretty this was put in there simply to make him seem more casual as the film had been all action up until this point.
    actonsteve wrote:

Goldeneye on the other hand....

I felt was a step backwards. The progress of the Dalton years was jettisoned to keep audiences cuddly. We had a Bond who had been the king in waiting so long he didnt need to try so he brought nothing new to the role, a frankly ridiculous story of a man stealing a weapons satellite which had been done so many times before, cliche after cliche to assure the unimaginative that this was still the unadventurous films we had before and the usual cliched explosians and gunfights. All jazzed up with a little bit of 90s self reverentialism ("sexist mysogist dinosaur").

GE is as reassuring and staid as AVTAK in its own way. Its afraid to go down the road trod before in case it alienates its audience. Its cautiousness taken to extremes.

Thats why nowadays its one of my least favourites.

You sumed up alot of my feelings towards Brosnan in GE. Let me state that I believe that GE has easily one of the top 5 scripts in the series. The story isnt the problem with me, it's Brosnan and his uninspired and lightweight performance. Brosnan in GE along with Connery in YOLT are IMO the 2 laziest Bond performances in the series.

And I agree that Roger Moore's lighter and more humorous take on Bond should have ended with him. It had no business making it's way all the way up into 2002. Dalton started the change but sadly we had to move backwards for over a decade.
    The Living Daylights
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2012 Posts: 12,459
    This is a tough one - I really love both of these films. TLD was Dalton's best and had a real Bond feel and good chemistry.
    But GE was a super restart of the series and Pierce was very fine, and script was so sharp.
    AAaaahhhh ... I go with Goldeneye. But it's close.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    actonsteve wrote:

Im not sure it's fair to judge Dalton off of one scene. I pretty this was put in there simply to make him seem more casual as the film had been all action up until this point.

And they ultimately failed in that scene - an important one as it was supposed to establish Louis Maxwell's replacement. I enjoy TLD but watching those scenes make me feel uncomfortable. They had about as much chemistry as Moore and Britt Eckland (i.e. not much).
    GE
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    GoldenEye, First Bond Flick I ever saw. :D
    Goldeneye, without any hesitation.
  • RC7RC7
    edited March 2012 Posts: 10,512
    GE was my first cinematic Bond aged 11 so has an incredibly sentimental place. Love TLD - Sniper scene is one of the best in the series, however; Still don't think there has been an opening sequence to match the dam dive (exc TSWLM). Dead heat for me. I'm fence sitting.
    They're really both very close.

Goldeneye has strong villains, visuals, and a unique-ness to it.

The Living Daylights has amazing visuals, decent villains, and a grittier uniqueness to it as well.

Too close.

But if I was watching the Living Daylights, I'd pick it for the PTS.
    If I was watching GoldenEye, I'd pick it for the TANK CHASE, OH GOD, THE TANK CHASE.
    Is this kind of a tournament or every movie can have as many match ups as possible?

I vote TLD
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    GoldenEye, but barely.
    the living daylights.

for ever reason stated thus far :D
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 1,778
    Wow Im suprised to see so many stalemates here. But at the same time Im not. They are both very good films. Had GE had a better Bond and a better musical score I probably would've voted for it as I do believe it has a better script than TLD. But Im sticking by Dalton ;)
    I think everybody should vote for Daylights, I mean we don't want to upset Dalton on his special day, suppose he looks in on this tomorrow and finds he's lost out to Brosnan.. :(

You got my vote anyway Tim