Mission: Impossible - films and tv series

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    bondjames wrote: »
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    A stronger villain would also be nice - we were supposed to believe Lane was a ruthless ex-MI6 agent based on the fact that he pretty much murders anyone in his way, but then he doesn't do anything to Furgeson's character despite her double crossing everyone repeatedly throughout the movie.
    I certainly wouldn't criticize him for that. He's a guy after all!

Seriously though, I think he kept her alive because he thought he could use her. Ultimately she was being double crossed by her handler Attley.

I always thought he kept her alive knowing full well of her allegiances because she was the only one who could convince Hunt to steal the digital box. Hunt, of course, did not know that Lane was counting on him to do exactly that. Once he got his funds then he would have disposed of her and Hunt and moved on.

Attley, as you say, made her efforts redundant in the end with his rogue antics to cover up his mistakes. And Lane, of course, played on Ilsa's varying emotional connections which were in conflict with her allegiances.

I think the script is really quite strong and manages to convey a lot of detail and manage to be a fast-paced actioner, too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondjames wrote: »
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    A stronger villain would also be nice - we were supposed to believe Lane was a ruthless ex-MI6 agent based on the fact that he pretty much murders anyone in his way, but then he doesn't do anything to Furgeson's character despite her double crossing everyone repeatedly throughout the movie.
    I certainly wouldn't criticize him for that. He's a guy after all!

Seriously though, I think he kept her alive because he thought he could use her. Ultimately she was being double crossed by her handler Attley.

I always thought he kept her alive knowing full well of her allegiances because she was the only one who could convince Hunt to steal the digital box. Hunt, of course, did not know that Lane was counting on him to do exactly that. Once he got his funds then he would have disposed of her and Hunt and moved on.

Attley, as you say, made her efforts redundant in the end with his rogue antics to cover up his mistakes. And Lane, of course, played on Ilsa's varying emotional connections which were in conflict with her allegiances.

I think the script is really quite strong and manages to convey a lot of detail and manage to be a fast-paced actioner, too.
    Yes, I agree. I missed most of that upon first viewing and only began to appreciate the complexities of the entanglements on successive viewings due to the pace.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    1. III
    2. GP
    3. RN
    4. Mission Impossible
    5. II
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    1. Ghost Protocol
    2. Rogue Nation
    3. I
    4. II
    Last. III
    For me, the list would (according to how I remember each film), be something like:
    1. Rogue Nation
    2. I
    3. Ghost Protocol
    4. III
    5. II

Really liked Rogue Nation. Didn't have to many expectations, so I was thrilled that it was as solid. The first MI film get the second place above GP based on how much I enjoyed it when I first saw it. GP isn't a lesser film, but the first impression from watching the "original" MI film was probably better.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Upon knowing the Fallout trailer was about to drop, I went back and watched the two most recent outings, namely GP and RN.
    For some time I've always thought GP was the better of the two films, I really liked how it played out. The threat, being unable to get back up, the action set pieces were stunning. But RN may have just taken the lead.
    It's a stunning spy thriller with a great story. Well written characters and is full of suspense and thrills from beginning to end.
    When I first saw the trailer with the plane stunt, I thought it would be part of the climax. But in reality it's the films PTS. I think RN is the closest they got (so far) to being a Bond film.
    I could be wrong but I think Ethan Hunt is seen in a tux in every movie as well?
    Minor similarities, but also a little homage or nod to Bond.
    I love the opera scene and much of the action is well conceived and played out. It doesn't feel tacked on for the sake of it.
    The threat is strong enough and played so it has meaning and depth. I think maybe RN is the new top spot.
    The original is still a very strong film. Lots of thrills and suspense. Probably the best of all the films in that respect. It's lighter on action, but the suspense and spy cloak and dagger stuff is top notch.
    Only the second movie is the real weak element in the series thus far, but these last two films have taken the series to the next level. I'm hoping MI:Fallout continues this.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 15,423
    The only film where Ethan doesn't wear a tux is the second one. He hardly wears a suit there (well, twice, actually, once during the Flamenco dance in Spain, and once another during the horse race), too... I guess it wasn't the cool thing of the year 2000's trend.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    M:I is on the rise for me. I was lukewarm on the first, felt they had Die Another Dayed the second but had finally cracked the code with the third. Really loved that one. Now I know the Internet loves nothing more than to rail against Abrams but the man delivers in my opinion. I went to see GP and RN three times in theatres. I love them dearly.

As for Cruise, I don't care about the man's private life. He's awesome in M:I. We're lucky to have him or that series would have gone under long ago.

I can only hope that Fallout will confirm my hypothesis that the series keeps improving on itself.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    I don't want to get too bogged down in the potical correctness debate but...when you look at Ethan's character from that perspective, he is much more sellable to the modern market. I'm not sure if this was deleberate when they created the character but he is much more "wholesome" if that makes sense.

He is clearly a red blooded male and there have been some great scenes of flirtation (there's a scene in the bedsit/safehouse with Emanuale Beart which is "off the scale " IMHO) but there is a line that he is yet to cross and, now we are familier with that character, I don't think he will ever cross.

The romantic ellement to his back story and the fact he does not seduce in every film means that he is more marketable than "you know who" within the current environment. A product of the 60s compared to a product of the 90s.

I agree @patb. Even in RN, they 'suggest' something between Ethan and Ilsa but don't indulge. As I pointed out in an earlier post, I think that's very powerful in today's PC market.

The expectations (built up over a number of decades) are very different for Bond. I expect him to go for it, when he has to and if the mission calls for it.
    No critique of Bond at all but, sometimes, flirtation and unrequited lust can be more dramatically powerful and sustainable than sexual exploits. (The relationanship between Emma Peel and Steed a perfect example).

Slight spoiler but the trailer suggests that the relationship between Hunt and Ilsa will remain the same which makes sense.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    No critique of Bond at all but, sometimes, flirtation and unrequited lust can be more dramatically powerful and sustainable than sexual exploits. (The relationanship between Emma Peel and Steed a perfect example).
    Once again I agree and that's something they used to do better in the older films (including the early Bond films). For me, it all comes down to approaching it with a light and playful touch. Imho, that will be the trick for Bond going forward. Get an actor and a script that can play with it. No need for DAD style sexual heavy handedness.

It doesn't hurt that Cruise projects as an asexual actor (imho) either. Plus we know he's protecting his wife. In fact, upon first viewing of MI:RN, I could sense the attraction between Hunt/Ilsa and wondered where they would take it in the film, given he is married. They teased us throughout without getting into the complexities and retrospectively I liked that.
    To be fair, the relationship between Bond and Moneypenny falls into that catagory and has IMHO provided some of the highlights of the series. But that has been undervalued and never really worked once LM left.
    To be fair, the relationship between Bond and Moneypenny falls into that catagory and has IMHO provided some of the highlights of the series. But that has been undervalued and never really worked once LM left.
    Once again I agree. For this to work well, the chemistry must exist and the actors must know how to sell it. They must be instantly credible.
  • I'm glad we still get Bon and M:I films, not just one or the other.
    I'm glad we still get Bon and M:I films, not just one or the other.
    Same. Great to have both series doing well too.
  • These films keep getting better. I thought Rogue Nation was the best in the series – a smart, old-fashioned spy yarn with great action and some neat surprises. I’m so excited Christopher McQuarrie is back for round two! Can’t wait to see what he delivers. From the trailer, it looks like he’ll be delivering a LOT.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    My list would go:
    1. Rogue Nation
    2. Ghost Protocol
    3. II
    4. III
    5. I
    But I like them all a great deal.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    trailer dialogue.
    looking at that dialogue again, I think they are trying to link the previous missions but not in physical way. I think Lane is trying to push Hunt's buttons re the collateral damage the team has caused, previous mistakes and Hunt's ego that he never failed to accept a Mission (perhaps there are times he should). For Hunt to look back over his career and question some of his decisions. If this is correct, then its a nice angle IMHO. But that leads one to wonder, why at this point would they do that? to wrap up this era of the series? a way for the viewers to look back and be reminded of the Cruise era? I wonder?
    Tom Cruise is very keen on MI these days, which makes me wonder why there were such long gaps between the early movies.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    vzok wrote: »
    Tom Cruise is very keen on MI these days, which makes me wonder why there were such long gaps between the early movies.

Perhaps because as he gets older he needs some kind of leverage in the Hollywood system. If no Mission Impossible films comes out for 5 years, it's hard to know how much power he wields anymore. As long as MI films are pumped out fairly regularly it's in the studios best interest to keep him happy. It's how the game it played.
    Don't forget the Top Gun sequel
    Don't forget the Top Gun sequel
    That one has been in the making for years, now. :))
    He won't be able to resist. he will actually fly the Hornets!!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    There also the Mummy 2. :-D
    I don't think there will be a Mummy 2. ;)

Dark Universe is as good as dead.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Oh, don't say that. It's a Marvel how DC mess things up :-D
    I hope so. A while back, apparently they were eyeing either Angelina Jolie or Gal Gadot for the Bride of Frankenstein. Let's see how they work things out, as they have apparently re-assembled the production team.
    Cruise is a fine actor and he is due for some comedy. I can imagine he would be good as a father is some kind of family comedy/drama. He just needs good scripts. He was great working with the kid in Jerry Maguire IMHO.(96). The same year as MI. Its interesting to think about the direction his career would have gone without MI.

I may be in the minority but I loved Knight and Day. It was a great action spy comedy with a blend of romance.