No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    bondjames wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    One thing to consider with Moneypenny and M is if EON is trying to get a feel for spinoff films. Remember, there was a "rumor" about EON exploring a Bond universe. I am not for or against that idea at the moment, but I do know: I would pay to see Naomi Harris do her own thing--certainly out of curiosity. We shall see.
    A whole film about a secretary? I can hardly wait!
    So you didn’t read the comic book, I assume. It was actually pretty good. As was Leiter. I didn’t like M as much.
    No, I didn't even realize there are character comics. Still, I really can't see this working over a whole film. These characters as realized aren't interesting enough really. The only one who perhaps could work is Mallory due to his backstory. Even then though, it was a promising start in SF, but after his constipated performance in SP I think that's over.
    Trust me, @bondjames, the character comics don't say much about their potential run-offs, either.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks for the clarification @ClarkDevlin. I'm still quite curious about these now. I may pick one up just for the sake of it to see what they're up to with them.
  • It just sounds like a terrible and boring idea. Outrageous and completely ridiculous. So probably they will do it.
    @bondjames, you'll enjoy Felix Leiter but that's because of the endearing characters and their collaboration with each other that makes the comic worthwhile, aided by the magnificent interior artwork. Otherwise, the story isn't saying much, but I'll tell you it's similar to that of The Wolverine (2013) in spirit.

Moneypenny on the other hand was a pointless short comic that only showed that she's a capable woman, and that's it. She doesn't have legs to stand on as a character, because she's a supporting character first and foremost. She has more use in an actual James Bond comic book. To see her in action in an actual James Bond comic, I say go for Eidolon and Hammerhead (best Bond comic since Serpent's Tooth).
    I completely agree with your assessment @ClarkDevlin. Felix is a character worthy of further exploring given he is an agent. I really would like to see more of him in B25 and wouldn't mind if the plot centers around corruption or deception within the CIA ranks (topical).

MP is indeed a supporting character. Attempts to 'flesh her out' in SF were pointless because ultimately she's a secretary, which I'm sure certain groups will take issue with. Her love life, the contents of her fridge & her desire for a birthday gift from M aren't of interest to me. Neither are Q's financial problems or his cats.
    Hear hear!
  • Meanwhile, in Mission Impossible land...

osl8h2ooyld01.jpg

I think the Mission Impossible movies have evolved into THE great action / spy blockbuster that Bond used to have the monopoly on. Each instalment has got even better and the STUNTS Cruise does are incredible. The franchise is very Bond-esque (I would say Rogue Nation was far superior to Spectre in every way), so this is a movie I cannot wait for.
    Eon better wake up as mission impossible has gotten the better of them, rogue nation was better than spectre, and I'm a spectre fan
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 615
    SonofSean wrote: »
    I think the Mission Impossible movies have evolved into THE great action / spy blockbuster that Bond used to have the monopoly on. Each instalment has got even better and the STUNTS Cruise does are incredible. The franchise is very Bond-esque (I would say Rogue Nation was far superior to Spectre in every way), so this is a movie I cannot wait for.
    Are we seeing the same films?

After all the buzz here about the last one, I finally watched it... and was not impressed. Apart from Rebecca Ferguson and a fairly nifty motorcycle chase sequence, it's underwhelmingly "meh".

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

To me, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE = "See it when it shows up on HBO."
  • CraterGuns wrote: »

After all the buzz here about the last one, I finally watched it... and was not impressed. Apart from Rebecca Ferguson and a fairly nifty motorcycle chase sequence, it's underwhelmingly "meh".

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

SPECTRE 3/10. Most boring car-chase in history, worst on-screen Blofeld we've seen, an Austin Powers "I'm your long lost brother / Dr Evil" reveal)...I could go on and on...

ROGUE NATION - 8/10. Yes, Rebecca Ferguson (that dress!) was great, but from the opening on the plane (outside the plane) to the torture scene escape to the motorbike chase, the movie delivered where Spectre did not. A great action movie IMHO.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    CraterGuns wrote: »

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

SPECTRE 3/10. Most boring car-chase in history, worst on-screen Blofeld we've seen, an Austin Powers "I'm your long lost brother / Dr Evil" reveal)...I could go on and on...

ROGUE NATION - 8/10. Yes, Rebecca Ferguson (that dress!) was great, but from the opening on the plane (outside the plane) to the torture scene escape to the motorbike chase, the movie delivered where Spectre did not. A great action movie IMHO.
    I think spectre is a poor bond film. However, to me at least, a poor bond film is way better then any reguler film. Something like MI5 just can’t compete in my mind with the production scale that is Bond.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

I think spectre is a poor bond film. However, to me at least, a poor bond film is way better then any reguler film. Something like MI5 just can’t compete in my mind with the production scale that is Bond.

That, and Ethan Hunt is no James Bond.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    00Agent wrote: »

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

But at this point, based on recent films, if there was a Bond film being released on the same day as a MI , the general public would be anticipating the return oh Hunt and company over Bond.
    EON needs to step up their game.

They are very different types of films, despite similarities in plot and locations in the last two. MI is more action oriented while Bond is more spy oriented.

There's no doubt that MI has recently encroached on the Bond space though, blurring the lines somewhat. In some respects they have recently done certain things much better than Bond has done (particularly the stunts).

What has struck me lately is how they have been able to bring the glamour, style and 'irony' in a seamless fashion as well. That was never their 'play' before but in the last two they've done a pretty good job of it. Some of the locations they've used (including the Vienna State Opera) do have an upscale feel in comparison to prior efforts. Tom Cruise looks effortlessly cool in a dinner jacket as well. Like he belongs in it.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    Eon better wake up as mission impossible has gotten the better of them, rogue nation was better than spectre, and I'm a spectre fan

Have to agree.
    Further thoughts on Bond's behaviour in the context of the times and some recommendations for the future:

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/james-bond-has-always-been-a-misogynist-dinosaur-now-he-has-to-change-1.3375210

Fleming:
    "I don’t think that he is necessarily a good guy or a bad guy.He’s got his vices and very few perceptible virtues except patriotism and courage, which are probably not virtues anyway."
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I wonder it we had heard anything by Feb 2011 about the progress on Bond 24, or they were still bankrupt at the time?
    I wonder it we had heard anything by Feb 2011 about the progress on Bond 24, or they were still bankrupt at the time?

If memory serves me correctly there was still very little substantial info in February of 2011. I feel it wasn't until late summer that it started to come together.
    I would love to be mistaken, though.
    I remember reading some MI6 articles back then with Craig promoting a couple of his films while talking about Bond coming together and all. I believe it was around the time Cowboys & Aliens came out he was interviewed by Jon Favreau, saying something about the time being too early to reveal the title and whatever, even though the rumours about it being called Skyfall had surfaced because apparently Danjaq registered internet domains under that name.
    The Bond universe is only for Bond himself, anyway.

The other characters are just there to get the story going, and that’s all there is to it. Even the 00-agents.

+1

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

I, too, felt the last M;I was "meh". There was nothing to the plane stunt outside the trailer. It left me very underwhelmed when I saw the film and that feeling permeated the rest of the movie. Sure, it's very risky to have your star do it, but Bond outside the plane in Octopussy was more exciting or Bond fighting in the cargo net in TLD.

Also, Hunt dangling between the two "L"s seems off. They should've put him between the "L" and "O".
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    talos7 wrote: »

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

But at this point, based on recent films, if there was a Bond film being released on the same day as a MI , the general public would be anticipating the return oh Hunt and company over Bond.

But bond makes like twice the box office!!!
  • RC7RC7

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

Yeah, and God is real.
    RC7 wrote: »

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

Yeah, and God is real.
    Yes indeed...
    Craig in his swimwear was a big marketing feature for CR prior to its release. I think they did something similar with him in the rooftop pool prior to SF (and of course they had that incredible teaser trailer).

I wonder what they will do to hook us in for B25. They're going to need something after all this time. Just having another Bond film isn't enough. The director (unless it's Nolan) won't be enough either.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

Can't speak for everywhere but this definitely isn't true in the UK. The new Bond film is always a bit of an event over here.
    It's an event globally but it definitely has more relative (in comparison to the rest of the yearly cinematic releases) traction in the UK, as can be expected. There's always a big deal made about it and a lot more coverage on morning shows and the like.

In addition, Craig has been a very successful Bond in the UK and in Europe. He hasn't lit the US on fire though, as evidenced by the grosses of his Bond films (SF excepted) and his somewhat tepid Hollywood career. He's not that much of a draw in Asia either.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited February 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Please stop giving them bad ideas! My nightmares not to mention!

I'm with you. The idea of spin-off films makes me want to wretch. We get too much Scooby Gang as is.

Don't shoot the messenger, here. I am only going off the rumors, and suggesting that it's possible that EON was testing the waters, a little, in regards to Harris.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/850997/James-Bond-25-shared-universe-007-rights-Daniel-Craig-Apple-Amazon

I don't know how I feel about this yet. What I do know is that Dynamite Comics is already moving in this directions -- with some positive results. We are now getting POP! vinyl figures, as well. It is NOT outside the realm of possibility that a Bond trailer or even a panel could show up at Comic Con.

This "universe" stuff is the "future" of film marketing -- and EON knows it, as does any potential distributor. Though they do not control the publishing arm, you better believe they are keeping tabs on it.

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

Can't speak for everywhere but this definitely isn't true in the UK. The new Bond film is always a bit of an event over here.

Of course they are but it is indeniable that when it comes to overall quality, the last three MI films have equaled, and even surpassed the corresponding Bond films. Also, the PR behind the MI films have done a masterful job of building awareness and anticipation.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited February 2018 Posts: 10,588

ROGUE NATION - 5/10
    SPECTRE - 7.5/10

Regardless of what the consensus is when comparing the recent outputs of either franchise, based on what I've seen both personally and in box office I disagree wholeheartedly. Bond is still the main player in the spy franchise by a considerable margin.