Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited January 2018 Posts: 17,691
    Deleted due to flatness of joke
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    talos7 wrote: »
    That is a great shot; but it’s effectiveness is diminished by the ludicrous refrigerator bit.

The Refrigerator scene is daft, it undermines what proceeded and followed it.
  • Walecs wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Does anyone else besides myself prefer the Indy series to Star Wars?

Indiana Jones is more consistently good. All four brilliantso far.

Agreed. I love Star Wars but Indy will always be special to me.

Are they similar at all apart from having Harrison Ford? I've never actually seen a Star Wars film all the way through. It's not like I hate sci fi or anything (isn't my favourite but I like some stuff), I've just never got round to watching them, never really had any desire to.

I read that Harrison Ford only agreed to do the new Star Wars if he got to do Indy 5 so I guess he prefers it too.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Walecs wrote: »
    BT3366 wrote: »
    Does anyone else besides myself prefer the Indy series to Star Wars?

Indiana Jones is more consistently good. All four brilliantso far.

Agreed. I love Star Wars but Indy will always be special to me.

Are they similar at all apart from having Harrison Ford? I've never actually seen a Star Wars film all the way through. It's not like I hate sci fi or anything (isn't my favourite but I like some stuff), I've just never got round to watching them, never really had any desire to.

I read that Harrison Ford only agreed to do the new Star Wars if he got to do Indy 5 so I guess he prefers it too.
    They are the main properties of Lucasfilm, which is why they get lumped together.
    I love Indy almost as much as Bond to be honest. I hope that Christoph Waltz is cast as a Nazi. Would be perfect. Or he could play Belloqs evil son out for revenge. Also he could be revealed as the one manipulating the events of the first 4 films as Indy's long lost brother!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    If they ever decide to recast Indy, I hope they keep the tradition of having 'James Bond' as Jones Senior, hopefully Pierce Brosnan this time.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    I love Indy almost as much as Bond to be honest. I hope that Christoph Waltz is cast as a Nazi. Would be perfect. Or he could play Belloqs evil son out for revenge. Also he could be revealed as the one manipulating the events of the first 4 films as Indy's long lost brother!

Don't give them any ideas!
  • If they ever decide to recast Indy, I hope they keep the tradition of having 'James Bond' as Jones Senior, hopefully Pierce Brosnan this time.
    Dalton as Indy’s dad, no question about it

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Why not just get P&W to write it and Mendes to direct and be done with it?

Could even ditch John Williams for Newman and enjoy a score where the Indy theme isn't played till the end credits.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,690

Could even ditch John Williams for Newman and enjoy a score where the Indy theme isn't played till the end credits.

With Rory Kinnear's Tanner as the sidekick? ;)

Replacing Marcus Brody and that Brody clone played by Jim Broadbent KOTCS?

Works for me.

To be fair we credit Mendes with the invention of 'Scooby gang' when it is actually KOTCS where you have Indy trekking through the jungle with a bloated cast of sidekicks, all horribly written and mostly superfluous (seriously can anyone tell me why John Hurt is in this film? Apart from a juicy paycheck no doubt?)

TLC had Indy, Henry Snr, Brody and Salah so you could possibly lay the same accusation. The difference there is they were characters we loved and so we were happy to have them along for the ride.

Marion in KOTCS is appallingly written and acted. The sassy, spunky girl from Raiders replaced by a soccer mom who has aged worse than the Julian Glover at the end of TLC.
    Mac just gets annoying with his triple and quadruple agent schtick, John Hurt's character is utterly pointless. I have to say Shia LaBeouf comes out of it best.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I suppose I'd take INDY over the STAR WARS films as well. To be frank, I'd watch CRYSTAL SKULL over any of the prequel films any day. I still haven't seen any of the newer movies including FORCE AWAKENS.
    I also haven't seen any of the newer films and friends of mine look at me as if I'm out of my mind for not being more excited. Sorry, I'm just not. I'd like to watch them some day, but just don't find it a big priority. In fact, I'm a writer for my local newspaper and did a column on Star Wars hype when The Force Awakens came out.

I was charged for Indy 4 back in '08 and despite the overall disappointment it was still fun getting reacquainted with him. I think Indy's strength is he's the main character and doesn't really change and is still interesting to watch, like James Bond, with some interesting supporting characters around him (save for Willie Scott, the Indy equivalent of Stacey Sutton).

With the Star Wars universe there are multiple lead characters and endless supporting characters. After great character development from eps. 4-5 they turned one of the best characters from a scoundrel into one who was whipped in Return of the Jedi. Yes, I'm talking about Han.

What would people say was the biggest disappointment of these three:

1. The Phantom Menace
    2. Indy and KOTCS
    3. SPECTRE

From least to most disappointing I'd probably go:

1. SP
    2. TPM
    3. KOTCS

Felt really crushed coming out of the cinema at how bad KOTCS was whereas SP did have a lot of good bits. TPM was just dull.
    If they ever decide to recast Indy, I hope they keep the tradition of having 'James Bond' as Jones Senior, hopefully Pierce Brosnan this time.
    Dalton would be a fierce Jones Senior!
    Pretty much sums up my feelings too, Wiz.

Both TPM and KOTCS had the challenge of the hype of having legendary series before them coming back after years of being dormant. It was going to be an uphill challenge from the start and ultimately doomed to being disappointing since no matter what they threw out there it would draw audiences and make box office registers sing.
    From least to most I'd go:

1. SP
    2. TPM
    3. KOTCS

SP did have some good bits, yet I initially was most frustrated hearing the SF score repeatedly. I kept telling myself "at least it wasn't Ladies First on a loop."
    TPM I was indifferent to. It wasn't going to have the classic characters anyway so I wasn't expecting much, and I didn't get much.
    KOTCS, on the other hand I did expect more. It could have been great. I still enjoy it when in the mood. I'm kind of bothered by the overall "look" of the film, which to me seems more digital than cinematic. The other Indy's have a natural look, yet bright and colorful. INDY 4 just doesn't measure up in that department.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

Replacing Marcus Brody and that Brody clone played by Jim Broadbent KOTCS?

Works for me.

To be fair we credit Mendes with the invention of 'Scooby gang' when it is actually KOTCS where you have Indy trekking through the jungle with a bloated cast of sidekicks, all horribly written and mostly superfluous (seriously can anyone tell me why John Hurt is in this film? Apart from a juicy paycheck no doubt?)

TLC had Indy, Henry Snr, Brody and Salah so you could possibly lay the same accusation. The difference there is they were characters we loved and so we were happy to have them along for the ride.

Marion in KOTCS is appallingly written and acted. The sassy, spunky girl from Raiders replaced by a soccer mom who has aged worse than the Julian Glover at the end of TLC.
    Mac just gets annoying with his triple and quadruple agent schtick, John Hurt's character is utterly pointless. I have to say Shia LaBeouf comes out of it best.

Wow, I legitimately forgot John Hurt was in KOTCS. Likely got a fat paycheck for his appearance, no doubt.
  • Yeah that was a waste. I liked Ray Winstone's character though.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I enjoyed all three. KOTC the most.
    I enjoyed all three. KOTC the most.

Don't take the piss.
  • I enjoyed all three. KOTC the most.

I like them all too but for me it's Raiders>TOD>TLC>KOTC. Last Crusade is probably better than Temple of Doom but I really like that one because of how different it feels. It's a ballsy sequel and there is some really crap stuff but it gets very good towards the end imo. Last Crusade is a better movie but it's more of the same really, Raiders 2.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    TPM was crushing, the worst.

Because of the prequels I was braced for KOCS, so while still heartbreaking, it wasn’t as shocking. Though seeing Ford still looking good IMO, it was travesty to screw it up.

SP was just not as good as should have been with some painful bits, brogate, the finale, etc.
    Indy>Star Wars. I said it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I'm doing an Indy marathon now on Amazon. Currently I'm on KOTC and I'm the minority in which I enjoy it.
    I've got CRYSTAL SKULL in right now, a bit before the infamous fridge bit. Let's see if I get through the whole thing before I'm in the mood for something else.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    The thing about the fridge bit is that it is so ridiculous that one has to wonder if the filmmakers were showing contempt for the audience. Did they think anything would be accepted?
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    TPM was the biggest let down, worse still was when I was queuing for the film on the day of release. A few friends came out of the earlier showing at the cinema claiming it was amazing, early into my viewing my heart sank and thought what the hell is this crap.
  • DrunkIrishPoetDrunkIrishPoet The Amber Coast
    RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK: 10/10. The original, and still the best action movie ever made. No explanation necessary or given.

TEMPLE OF DOOM: 7/10. Flawed, but ambitious and interesting. NB: it is not a sequel to RotLA; it is the movie for which the word "prequel" was invented. All of your marathons should begin with this one. http://bit.ly/2ucDRT7

LAST CRUSADE (or, "Rip-Off of the Lost Ark"): 5/10. Derivative and jokey, it squanders the goodwill of the first two pictures. Redeemed in large part by one of Sean Connery's liveliest performances.

CRYSTAL SKULLS: 2/10. Ugh. Better movies include "Tomb of the Dragon Emperor," "The Cradle of Life," and "Krull."
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    You really can't rip off from your own franchise.
    I love the refrigerator scene in KotCS. When Indy realizes the bomb is about to drop, and beings looking around the house to figure out what to do to save his life, he looks convincingly desperate, more so with that cheerful music playing the background. It's a ridiculous moment, but in a good way. It's distinctive, memorable and not played for laughs (except for that damn gopher). In regards to the film, I'm more bothered by the lack of character development, the superfluous number of characters and the excessive comedy in the jungle action scenes.