Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny (30th June 2023)

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,407
    In Disney's hands I suspect they will want to cause a situation where a Younger Indy will take over, alas Indiana Jones is another Disney cash cow now.
  • You know what I’m afraid of?
    The first time we see the teaser in theaters, and people like me and a lot of people here are excited, but the majority of the audience laughs. :(
  • Honestly if they're going to insist on making more I don't think they should bother getting Ford back. How did Roger Moore escape Sean Connery's shadow? He did something different. If they get a new actor and do a flashback/flashforward type thing with Ford the new guy can't do anything different. He's forced into doing a Harrison Ford impression.

And I think Ford is way too old to carry the movie on his own, so may as well just recast and get it over with. I know a lot of people hate Crystal Skull but I thought that was a pretty good ending for Ford's Indy (or even if you pretend it doesn't exist, you've got him riding off into the sunset at the end of Last Crusade). If they have to make more, there's no need to bring him back imo.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I would be fine with a new actor, but am still excited to see Ford back.
  • I would be fine with a new actor, but am still excited to see Ford back.

I'm not going to write it off completely at this stage because I liked the last one, but I think Ford has noticeably aged a fair bit since then which makes me wonder how they're going to manage the action if it's just him as Indy for the whole movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    He looked good in Blade Runner.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    talos7 wrote: »
    He looked good in Blade Runner.
    That he did.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I predict that Ford won't be a problem in the immediate future. He's in excellent shape and not to be underestimated. If needs be, CGI or stunt doubles will take over. With the current state of affairs, we're unlikely to notice, at least if Disney's prepared to throw enough cash at it.

Skull will have taught the stake holders a few tough lessons. By now it should be easy to narrow down the list of things we'll accept versus certain eccentricities we're unlikely to forgive. Seeing how Disney has, in recent times, faithfully stuck to proven formula (e.g. SW: TFA), there's a good chance Indy 5 will be a lot closer to Raiders than any other Indy film. Ah well, we'll see, I guess.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Who would you guys want for a new Indy, aside from the always mentioned Chris Pratt?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Karl Urban.
    Tom Selleck or no one.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Tom Selleck or no one.

Soooo Rory Kinnear?
  • Creasy47 wrote: »
    Who would you guys want for a new Indy, aside from the always mentioned Chris Pratt?

I think Colin Farrell would be very good.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I think Colin Farrell would be very good.

I approve of this message.
  • It’s curious that people were bloodthirsty for Anthony Ingruber to be cast as Han Solo, but I don’t hear him mentioned for Indy at all.
    Or Rick Deckard. How strange.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I predict that Ford won't be a problem in the immediate future. He's in excellent shape and not to be underestimated. If needs be, CGI or stunt doubles will take over. With the current state of affairs, we're unlikely to notice, at least if Disney's prepared to throw enough cash at it.

Skull will have taught the stake holders a few tough lessons. By now it should be easy to narrow down the list of things we'll accept versus certain eccentricities we're unlikely to forgive. Seeing how Disney has, in recent times, faithfully stuck to proven formula (e.g. SW: TFA), there's a good chance Indy 5 will be a lot closer to Raiders than any other Indy film. Ah well, we'll see, I guess.
    That´s true.
    Also, isn´t George Lucas not involved this time? That should make for a great difference.
    My main thoughts would be about what Spielberg is up to these days. Is he still interested in a great escapist romp, or will he give more space to nostalgia and family affairs?

• Not having George will make the ultimate difference.
    This one could be the awesome movie Indy 4 should have been.
    I still remember drooling over that teaser trailer back in 2008
    I would like to think Indy 5, even with Ford who is pushing 80, will be fun. I imagine it will be time appropriate for the later Indy and most likely set in the 1970's.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    I actuallly think Spielberg is also a problem not just Lucas. He made no attempt at a soft reboot of tone with Skull. He was content making dopey comedy instead of something along lines of Raiders. Temple steered him away from doing anything dark and Crusade is his favorite so I’m hoping and praying but still not that optimistic for the next one
    Does anyone else besides myself prefer the Indy series to Star Wars?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    You must know, of course, that they're gonna
    kill Indy in this new movie, right? Ford likes his heroes to go out with a bang (or a searing sound as the case may be...).
    Just sayin'.
    BT3366 wrote: »

Indiana Jones is more consistently good. All four brilliantso far.
    For all of the “muscle” guys in Hollywood, and that’s not a criticism, Ford remarkably fit in an every guy sort of way. Even.in candid videos he moves like a much younger man . I, been involved in health and fitness for close to 40 years, even working as a personal trainer for some time; let tell you , Fords physical condition is remarkable and he is more than fit for one more go as Indy.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You must know, of course, that they're gonna
    kill Indy in this new movie, right? Ford likes his heroes to go out with a bang (or a searing sound as the case may be...).
    Just sayin'.

If that were the case perhaps it will be set in the 1990's then. If I recall, the Young Indiana Jones series featured the aged Indy in contemporary times (early '90's) reflecting on his teen years.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Indiana Jones is more consistently good. All four brilliantso far.

Agreed. I love Star Wars but Indy will always be special to me.
    I suppose I'd take INDY over the STAR WARS films as well. To be frank, I'd watch CRYSTAL SKULL over any of the prequel films any day. I still haven't seen any of the newer movies including FORCE AWAKENS.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,407
    Indy 4 has some decent moments, this shot is fantastic...

indiana-jones-and-the-kingdom-of-the-crystal-skull.png

Think I'll watch Indy 4 now it's been a while since I watched it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Wow, tough one... can't choose...
    That is a great shot; but it’s effectiveness is diminished by the ludicrous refrigerator bit.