Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Of human bondage (1934)
    Absolutely incredible

Going to watch the 60’s remake soon
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Batman Forever - I remember this had a quote on the vhs/dvd release saying it was “The Greatest Action Movie Ever Made” or words to that effect. Wel, it isn’t is it? Sure, it has its fun moments, and I enjoy it, but it isn’t going to go down as one of the best Bat movies. Kilmer is quite wooden at times, especially as Bruce Wayne, TLJ really hams it up as Two-Face and Jum Carrey is fun as The Riddler, but, he’s just being the same character he has been in movies that have come before.
    Batman Forever - I remember this had a quote on the vhs/dvd release saying it was “The Greatest Action Movie Ever Made” or words to that effect. Wel, it isn’t is it? Sure, it has its fun moments, and I enjoy it, but it isn’t going to go down as one of the best Bat movies. Kilmer is quite wooden at times, especially as Bruce Wayne, TLJ really hams it up as Two-Face and Jum Carrey is fun as The Riddler, but, he’s just being the same character he has been in movies that have come before.

I remember sort of liking Forever as a kid, but when I watched it most recently it was a disaster. Batman & Robin is still worse, but Forever is still very bad. TLJ's Two-Face is awful, and I really like TLJ normally. Carrey's Riddler is a little more entertaining, but still wrong for the character IMO. For my own tastes, Burton and Nolan are the only ones who provided really good live-action Batman films so far.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    SaintMark wrote: »
    Highlander - this is the jubileum version on Bluray with a great set of German made Making of Highlander documentaries even if the music of Highlander gets approximately two minutes of time even if that was one of the major assets of this movie.

This original Highlander movie is in my humble opinion one of the better fantasy movies, made on a budget of approx 12 million dollars. There is no CGI yet and thus we get brilliant sets, the Highlander scene transitions are the originals. The action scenes are brilliant bar none, the music could never be anything less than spectacular (EON should have done a movie with them at the music steering wheel, would have been amazing) the actors well cast and an really evil baddie.

I saw it originally in the cinema release and it has lost nothing of its sparkle in all those years. Still brilliant fun to watch.

I tried to watch this once. Just couldn't get into it, thought it was pretty lame…maybe give it another go if it turns up on the old tellybox again. But I don't hold out much hope!
    Gone Girl (2014) dir. David Fincher. via BBC iPlayer. A tense thriller - did he kill his wife? This part of the plot is handled very well making us think that maybe he did. And then it changes we see his wife via voiceover telling us how to set up the perfect 'murder' as she escapes into anonymity. When things go wrong she contacts an old boyfriend who comes to her rescue…
    I enjoyed this right up to the end, and the end wasn't what I was hoping for there were so many holes in her 'kidnap and abduction' story that I was really expecting her to get caught. Some pretty basic things would have blown her story apart…
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,369
    Star Trek The Motion Picture second watch in a week, 4K upscale is one of the best I have seen for a film with so many optical effects and its age.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Highlander - this is the jubileum version on Bluray with a great set of German made Making of Highlander documentaries even if the music of Highlander gets approximately two minutes of time even if that was one of the major assets of this movie.

This original Highlander movie is in my humble opinion one of the better fantasy movies, made on a budget of approx 12 million dollars. There is no CGI yet and thus we get brilliant sets, the Highlander scene transitions are the originals. The action scenes are brilliant bar none, the music could never be anything less than spectacular (EON should have done a movie with them at the music steering wheel, would have been amazing) the actors well cast and an really evil baddie.

I saw it originally in the cinema release and it has lost nothing of its sparkle in all those years. Still brilliant fun to watch.

I tried to watch this once. Just couldn't get into it, thought it was pretty lame…maybe give it another go if it turns up on the old tellybox again. But I don't hold out much hope!

What a horribly squandered concept. I was a fan of the series; it came closer to fulfilling the potential.

Lady Bird (2017). It's good, but honestly I don't imagine rewatching it anytime soon. So I would say I liked it, but it's not a personal favorite.
    Darkest Hour - what a cracking little film. Gary Oldman is simply awesome, he becomes Chruchill without impersonating him, in a role that could so easily have just been caricature. Nice to see a film that's not all fast cuts, loud explosions and OTT CGI.
    Recommended for anyone interested in a pivotal part of our recent history or who just want to see a great film with great acting.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,269
    Just another one to add to the list. 2017 in film is overwhelming in a good way.
    talos7 wrote: »

What a horribly squandered concept. I was a fan of the series; it came closer to fulfilling the potential.

The series went indeed where the movie series never dared I admit it. But as a movie it was a fairly brilliant envisioned piece of work with a director whose work on this movie turned out to be something really new. The Highlander transition being one of them.
    This one...caught it on SKY Cinema Comedy last night :

borat-ten-year-anniversary-trump.jpg

Disgusting film,but great fun he he .
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I may be the only one in the world who has never found that film slightly funny.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Is that from Borat? I have never laughed so hard recently as I did when I caught bits of that on tv a few months back.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Is that from Borat? I have never laughed so hard recently as I did when I caught bits of that on tv a few months back.

Yep....that's Borat alright !

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Stratton (2017)
    2nd viewing, first time on DVD. I caught it on the big screen last year, and it was the worst screening, in numbers, I had ever been to, I was one of only two people there. My feelings haven't changed, my only complaint was the budget, or lack thereof. There are enough action sequences, but they stop almost as soon as they begin. I want to say again how good I thought Dominic Cooper was. I have read the first 5 of the 8 Stratton books (of which this film isn't based on any of them), and while Cooper looked nothing like how I imagine Statton in the books, I will probably picture Cooper next time I read them. I so badly wanted this to be a hit enough, so they might tackle Undersea Prison next, that's very unlikely now, given the brutal reception this film was met with.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Stratton (2017)
    2nd viewing, first time on DVD. I caught it on the big screen last year, and it was the worst screening, in numbers, I had ever been to, I was one of only two people there. My feelings haven't changed, my only complaint was the budget, or lack thereof. There are enough action sequences, but they stop almost as soon as they begin. I want to say again how good I thought Dominic Cooper was. I have read the first 5 of the 8 Stratton books (of which this film isn't based on any of them), and while Cooper looked nothing like how I imagine Statton in the books, I will probably picture Cooper next time I read them. I so badly wanted this to be a hit enough, so they might tackle Undersea Prison next, that's very unlikely now, given the brutal reception this film was met with.

Its got 0% from 32 viewers on RT,i don't think ive seen a film that low before.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It was pretty bad. I think they intended for a franchise or something. I'm afraid it's not going to happen based on that film (I knew nothing about the character prior to viewing it so had nothing to base it on but I found Cooper quite underwhelming).
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    barryt007 wrote: »

I loved Borat.

Bruno on the other hand, that's a different story.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,894
    A franchise was the idea, but with Stratton being d.o.a, those plans have since gone up in smoke. Shame really, as Copper could have had had a signature series.

I loved Borat.

Bruno on the other hand, that's a different story.

Same here,i liked the Borat film and the Ali G film,apart from that I don't like any of the others he has made.
    Borat Bruno and The dictator are the funniest films ever made.

Grinmsby and da Ali g movie are not good at all though

Grimsby is woeful...why Mark Strong signed up for that I will never know.
    I must admit,i haven't seen The Dictator,i seemed to have missed that one.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    The Dictator is an awful film. Just awful.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I have heard the same DD.
  • DarthDimi wrote: »

Grimsby is woeful...why Mark Strong signed up for that I will never know.
    I must admit,i haven't seen The Dictator,i seemed to have missed that one.

Aw I thought both had their moments. Grimsby I found a bit off putting in some ways, a rich Cambridge graduate basically taking the piss out of the working class (he seemed to try to offset this with the speech towards the end but it didn't really work imo), but it was still funny and had some heart and emotion behind it. I'm a Londoner though to be fair, if I was northern I don't know if I'd have been able to get past that side of it.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Nonsense, it’s great fun
  • I do remember laughing out loud when they were in the helicopter and joyfully shouted “5, 4, 3, 2, 1!!!” and the poor old woman screamed! :))

But it was no Borat.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    This one...caught it on SKY Cinema Comedy last night :

borat-ten-year-anniversary-trump.jpg

Disgusting film,but great fun he he .
    Looking good there, @Andi1996Ruegg
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 2,005
    I always look good in a white bikini!