Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If I remember reading correctly somewhere, it was to be set in the late seventies and early eighties, which would be more akin to Spy Game than anything we've seen with the Connery Bond.
    @ClarkDevlin, I thought I read once that it was going to be in the 60s. Or maybe I just thought of early Cold War when I read the Cold War setting, as that for me is the more dramatically interesting time period.

I just hope something comes of it someday.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited January 2018 Posts: 15,423
    That makes two of us, Braders. I also happen to love the 1960s Cold War setting.

While I wouldn't exactly call it a thriller, you definitely should try playing both of the No One Lives Forever games. It has the late 1960s feeling portrayed accurately with a little bit of odd Carry On style humour thrown in. Very decent video games, both of them.

The first game in itself is the James Bond video game set in the sixties we deserved but never had, and could put any official Bond game to shame.
    I would say Splinter Cell is one of my favorite espionage games.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I love Alpha Protocol and the Splinter Cell series (which is also D.O.A for some weird reason) like I said it’s kind of upsetting that the last good espionage game in my opinion was Alkeline’s gun which came out in 2016 and before that Splinter Cell Black list in 2013 I just don’t get it

That is a game I still want to pick up. It's a shame that spy games are thin on the ground these days. My holy trinity of spy games (Cold Winter - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - The Operative: No One Lives Forever) are all at least a decade old, but I revisit them from time to time.
    If I can be honest, the latest two generations of console gaming never appealed to me. Whereas late fifth generation and sixth generation console video games I find to be absurdly appealing to me. The world of gaming kind of froze since the emergence of Halo 2 and more explicitly Call of Duty.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have managed to avoid Call Of Duty, sadly, I can't say the same for its influence on other games.
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 235
    I love Alpha Protocol and the Splinter Cell series (which is also D.O.A for some weird reason) like I said it’s kind of upsetting that the last good espionage game in my opinion was Alkeline’s gun which came out in 2016 and before that Splinter Cell Black list in 2013 I just don’t get it

That is a game I still want to pick up. It's a shame that spy games are thin on the ground these days. My holy trinity of spy games (Cold Winter - Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - The Operative: No One Lives Forever) are all at least a decade old, but I revisit them from time to time.

In my opinion the reason why we don't see a lot spy games being released is nobody really enjoys those type of games. Everyone enjoys fast paced fps games such as Halo and Cod. So developers don't waste time making games if they not going to sell. They want top dollar for there product sadly. An example is playing Splinter Cell 1-4 awesome stealth game then you play Splinter Cell 5 they had change the series because half the gaming population like fast paced action games so it would sell.
    Mazouni wrote: »

In my opinion the reason why we don't see a lot spy games being released is nobody really enjoys those type of games. Everyone enjoys fast paced fps games such as Halo and Cod. So developers don't waste time making games if they not going to sell. They want top dollar for there product sadly. An example is playing Splinter Cell 1-4 awesome stealth game then you play Splinter Cell 5 they had change the series because half the gaming population like fast paced action games so it would sell.
    These all are true. It boggles my mind how people actually invest time in playing garbage like CoD, Halo, post-Pacific Assault MoH, and Battlefield. Even the NFS lost its plateau since the rubbish 2002 reboot and went all the way down the well.

These all are true. It boggles my mind how people actually invest time in playing garbage like CoD, Halo, post-Pacific Assault MoH, and Battlefield. Even the NFS lost its plateau since the rubbish 2002 reboot and went all the way down the well.

I think it the skill gap. Cod and Halo does not have a big learning curve like stealth games do.

There is more truth in that than I want to admit.

I didn't play SC:Conviction, as it was an XBX exclusive, but I have seen plenty of gameplay footage. Whoever thought that Conviction was a good idea, should have lost their job on grounds of incompetency.

There is more truth in that than I want to admit.

I didn't play SC:Conviction, as it was an XBX exclusive, but I have seen plenty of gameplay footage. Whoever thought that Conviction was a good idea, should have lost their job on grounds of incompetency.

lol
    @Andi1996Ruegg Thought I'd introduce you to this branch of the Bond universe, mate. :)
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I miss the NFS games in which you just had the best, most beautiful sports cars in the world and you raced in gorgeous locations. No story, no characters, no open world, no lame cars. Hot Pursuit 2010 was a brief return to form, but the rest fall short of the series' golden era.
    mattjoes wrote: »

I miss the NFS games in which you just had the best, most beautiful sports cars in the world and you raced in gorgeous locations. No story, no characters, no open world, no lame cars. Hot Pursuit 2010 was a brief return to form, but the rest fall short of the series' golden era.
    Most certainly, @mattjoes. Anything before the first reboot was what NFS was defined with. Since Underground, the series lost its glamour for me. It hasn’t been the same since 2001.
    @ClarkDevlin What do you think is the old NFS's spiritual successor today?
    @ClarkDevlin What do you think is the old NFS's spiritual successor today?
    The latest I tried was years ago, @mattjoes. Test Drive Unlimited 2 was quite a great callback to the old NFS games despite having a story campaign, albeit a great one.

test-Drive-Unlimited-2_PC_US.jpg

I’m guessing you know what captured my attention, first. ;)
    @ClarkDevlin But of courshe.

Thank you, I'll check it out.

@ClarkDevlin But of courshe.

Thank you, I'll check it out.
    You’re welcome, mate. Let me know what you think. :)
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    @Andi1996Ruegg Thought I'd introduce you to this branch of the Bond universe, mate. :)

Well, thank you, Sir.

You will be red. I will be blue. Are you ready? Begin. Eternal battle for the domination of the world begins. We play for dollars. Random target selection, Spain. Value $9,000. Play.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    @Andi1996Ruegg If you are planning on getting started with Bond gaming, I'd recommend getting a PS2. Most of the great Bond games are from that era; Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, Everything or Nothing, and From Russia With Love (featuring original voiceover work by Sean Connery himself).
    Yep, what BMW said!
    The World Is Not Enough trailer for PC and PS2:
    I'm glad we got AUF, my favorite Bond game, but it would have been interesting to see this too.
    Personally I think Agent Under fire is quite good I still remember as a kid knowing nothing about Bond games and then in I think 2002 finding out about both Agent under fire and Nightfire after playing out my n64 versions of Goldeneye and the World is not enough I was a kid in a candy store sigh

Well I suppose since I am desperate for new 007 I could just find a decent PS1 emulator and play the 3 modern bond games I never played
  • @Risico007 http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/psx/ssspsx.html
    I haven't tried it but the ratings suggest its a decent emulator
    Goldeneye N64 Mario Characters Mod.
    Haha, I saw that. @Murdock should see this. :D
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Oh I saw it, It's hilarious. =))
  • edited January 2018 Posts: 12,837
    @Andi1996Ruegg If you are planning on getting started with Bond gaming, I'd recommend getting a PS2. Most of the great Bond games are from that era; Agent Under Fire, Nightfire, Everything or Nothing, and From Russia With Love (featuring original voiceover work by Sean Connery himself).

I'd do so many unspeakable things for a Nightfire remake with Brosnan, Dench and Cleese. To be fair though even though he sounded nothing like Brosnan I always thought Bond's voice actor in that game did a decent job. I preferred him to the AUF guy.

I'd do so many unspeakable things for a Nightfire remake with Brosnan, Dench and Cleese. To be fair though even though he sounded nothing like Brosnan I always thought Bond's voice actor in that game did a decent job. I preferred him to the AUF guy.
    While I personally prefer Andrew Bicknell to Maxwell Caulfield, the rest of them I am prepared to form a league for to support that cause - a Nightfire remake with Brosnan and Dench.

We have nice little chaps who are working on a multiplayer remake of the game, however, @thelivingroyale. Let’s just say I’ve seen the recent screenshots after the project made a u-turn to start from scratch... So, for now, we’ll have our little substitute for that.