Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

I will take telltale at this point
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Risico007 wrote: »

I will never be that desperate for a Bond game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Same here.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

A Bond playable film, you mean. ;)

*presses X to agree*

That would be Everything or Nothing. ;)
    qJ8Eupfl.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

*presses X to agree*

[Brady will remember that]

*presses X to agree*

I loaded up episode 2 and your name was changed to Grady. What gives with that? :))
    Murdock wrote: »

*presses X to agree*

I loaded up episode 2 and your name was changed to Grady. What gives with that? :))

You'll be even more upset when you find out that, no matter what choices you make, the ending will always be the same!
    Murdock wrote: »

*presses X to agree*

You'll be even more upset when you find out that, no matter what choices you make, the ending will always be the same!

Bond always wins? I wouldn't have it any other way. ;)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Never to Telltale. Like the chaps said above, I would never be that desperate. ;)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I would be that desperate but then again I actually enjoy Telltale's games. Who knows, if Telltale makes one and it's popular, it could lead to other Bond games being made. So I'm honestly all for it.
    The concept material for the post Everything or Nothing game is great. Brings back memories. I was never much of a gamer beyond the PS2 era (I had an N64 before that, but only ever like 5 or 6 games), but those year coincided with my becoming a Bond fan. The AUF through EON run of games helped fill the void waiting for CR.

Not that I ever see myself buying another gaming system, but the mention of the Splinter Cell and the Mission Impossible games on the previous page (both of which I also played) has me wondering: what have I missed spy games wise since 2006? Any highlights or has it been downhill generally across the board?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Strog wrote: »
    The concept material for the post Everything or Nothing game is great. Brings back memories. I was never much of a gamer beyond the PS2 era (I had an N64 before that, but only ever like 5 or 6 games), but those year coincided with my becoming a Bond fan. The AUF through EON run of games helped fill the void waiting for CR.

Not that I ever see myself buying another gaming system, but the mention of the Splinter Cell and the Mission Impossible games on the previous page (both of which I also played) has me wondering: what have I missed spy games wise since 2006? Any highlights or has it been downhill generally across the board?

Alpha Protocal, an espionage rpg has been a highlight. The outcome of the game depended on the interactions you have with a number of characters throughout the game. The Bourne Conspiracy was quite good, pity that a sequel never got made. Other than those, I don't think there have been any others.
    I stumbled across this video today. Apparently this person made this Goldeneye remake demo a year ago. It was never released, and they haven't posted any updates, but here's the video;
    Seen a couple of times. Too modern for my taste.
    Seen a couple of times. Too modern for my taste.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. I don't like the ADS, and it looks and moves like a really cheap COD knock-off. Nevertheless, fans are still showing more creativity with the Bond gaming franchise than EON are.
    It's often fans that actually fix games that are broken, and who actually make better mods and balanced assets than the developers seem to bother to (I'm talking about PC gaming here, obviously). Bethesda comes to mind as a dev. who really should hire some capable fans to stabilize their wonky and broken games. It's hilarious that Bethesda are now charging money for mods that actual modders have created in the past to much higher quality...and for free!
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I've played Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and the new Skyrim and I never really had any issues. Fallout New Vegas was kind of buggy but iirc they didn't actually make that one.

And I'd love a Telltale Bond game. A playable Bond TV show where you have to make tough on the fly decisions and could form different relationships with the villains, Bond girls and MI6 crew sounds good to me. Way more exciting than yet another "shoot loads of bad guys and every now and again get a driving bit". The Walking Dead is a brilliant game. Ideally I'd like something like Fallout and Mass Effect where you get those sorts of choices but still get to move your character around as normal. And an optional third/first person mode like Fallout and Elder Scrolls would be cool. I'd love Bethesda to have a crack at it actually.
    I've played Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and the new Skyrim and I never really had any issues. Fallout New Vegas was kind of buggy but iirc they didn't actually make that one.

You should count yourself lucky on that one. Either way, Bethesda always feels about 10 years behind when it comes to game design, and their engine needs a serious overhaul. I think that's why their games are so infamous for crashes and game breaking glitches.

But they were just a minor example to compare to this whole GE situation with the demo.
    Agreed, my Wolfenstein games by Bethesda were very buggy. Although, Doom wasn't. Still, I'd take Bethesda over any company and a wide range of developers Activision, EA and Ubisoft combine together.

Alpha Protocal, an espionage rpg has been a highlight. The outcome of the game depended on the interactions you have with a number of characters throughout the game. The Bourne Conspiracy was quite good, pity that a sequel never got made. Other than those, I don't think there have been any others.
    Cheers. Just looked up Alpha Protocal. Looks pretty interesting, just the kind of thing I would've gone for back then. I see it was released for PC, and I've got an older one sitting around. I'll keep this in mind for a day I inevitably find myself wanting something to do.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423

Cheers. Just looked up Alpha Protocal. Looks pretty interesting, just the kind of thing I would've gone for back then. I see it was released for PC, and I've got an older one sitting around. I'll keep this in mind for a day I inevitably find myself wanting something to do.
    Overall it's a great game, @Strog. But, it isn't without its faults. The concept is amazing, but there were too many cut down materials from the game the whole thing in itself became buggy. I'll never forgive them for cutting the embassy level in Italy where the character shows up in a tuxedo to do some spy work. Its combat system is also buggy as it can pin you down as you swing empty punches in the air while the enemy shoots you. Otherwise, a great game. Its various turnouts of the plot depending on your choices really elevates the game.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Let me know what you think of it. Looking back, I think there were more games planned, but because of the lukewarm reception, they were cancelled.
    All I know is, thanks to this song I enjoyed that one boss fight with Brayko. :D

*has violent flashback to Brayko fight*

God damn you, @ClarkDevlin, god damn you to hell.

Something I really liked about AP, was how boss fights changed depending on what characters you met by that point, and whether you were on good/bad terms with them.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Haha, I'll never forget the nightmares I've spent having and the frustration behind trying to defeat Brayko, @MajorDSmythe! :))

Thing is, I stood no chance against him with a simple outfit that I picked. You had to outfit yourself with a combat gear so your armour capacity increased. Otherwise, Brayko brutally murders you. I was very close at breaking my laptop in half because of it. The second time around with the combat outfit, despite with strong effort, I defeated him, which was easier to pull off than the previous time around. The song helped it, too. :D
    I hated that little pappa-romeo-india-charlie-kilo. ;)
    I hated that little pappa-romeo-india-charlie-kilo. ;)
    He was a papa-uniform-november-kilo. And a second rate one at that. ;)

Overall it's a great game, @Strog. But, it isn't without its faults. The concept is amazing, but there were too many cut down materials from the game the whole thing in itself became buggy. I'll never forgive them for cutting the embassy level in Italy where the character shows up in a tuxedo to do some spy work. Its combat system is also buggy as it can pin you down as you swing empty punches in the air while the enemy shoots you. Otherwise, a great game. Its various turnouts of the plot depending on your choices really elevates the game.
    Though I really enjoyed the EA Bond games, I do remember wishing for a bit more RPG-type elements in them. I've never heard of Alpha Protocol before this thread, but if I had I'm sure I'd have checked it out in some capacity by now.

Shame to hear they cancelled the followups, @MajorDSmythe. Especially as there appears not to have been much by way of quality in the genre since.