Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Post of the day, @bondjames!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Thank you @DarthDimi. Truly an amazing film that holds up beautifully and is as current as ever a decade on (as of today).
    BECOMING BOND.
    Really entertaining documentary about how George blagged his way into becoming Bond, though its only dealt with from chapter 8 onwards, the early part about his life is funny, sad and engaging!
    I am curious though, that when he was going for the part of Bond he seemed to be mostly dealing with Harry rather than Cubby?
    Well worth checking out!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @Mathis1, I'm not sure exactly who George dealt with more, Cubby or Harry. From what I've read about his time as Bond, Harry was always more in his corner than Cubby, and perhaps that's because he had respect for George's lively and individualistic streak. For Cubby I feel that those traits were simply another thing for him to have to babysit George over to make sure he wasn't screwing around on set. In that way, I've viewed Cubby as the overprotective and strict father and Harry as the cool and relaxed uncle type if George were the child in the scenario. Harry seemed to let George be George, and saw those traits positively, while Cubby was simply frustrated trying to contain him.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    001 wrote: »
    Miami Vice (2006)

Boring film.

I find it massively underrated. Such a cool visual film with some really unusual locations. Mann's direction is excellent as usual. Love it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    It was a fun film, but the tv series was better.
    @Mathis1, I'm not sure exactly who George dealt with more, Cubby or Harry. From what I've read about his time as Bond, Harry was always more in his corner than Cubby, and perhaps that's because he had respect for George's lively and individualistic streak. For Cubby I feel that those traits were simply another thing for him to have to babysit George over to make sure he wasn't screwing around on set. In that way, I've viewed Cubby as the overprotective and strict father and Harry as the cool and relaxed uncle type if George were the child in the scenario. Harry seemed to let George be George, and saw those traits positively, while Cubby was simply frustrated trying to contain him.

The documentary doesnt feature Cubby at all, and yes it was Harry who made the quote when George clobbered the stuntman by accident "We're going with you!" and it was Harry who tried to get George to sign that lucrative contract! How different things would have been if he agreed to star in 5 more!
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    It's odd that they didn't show Bond clobbering the stuntman in Becoming Bond. I had always assumed that was how he actually got the part.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited January 2018 Posts: 28,694
    @Mathis1, I know Cubby wasn't in it, but I just took your post as questioning how much George dealt with Cubby and Harry respectively on the film. Maybe the Broccolis requested that Cubby stay out of the documentary? I don't know what terms George and Cubby were on after 1969, or if they even spoke again, but at the time Cubby seemed to be at his wits end with George's antics as he couldn't be reigned in and would do the opposite of what he was told, like going out to ski when Cubby told him not to (ending in George breaking his arm, getting Cubby even more fired up) or the bad press he gave the movie when he stated vocally that he wanted out of Bond and that the series was dead going into the 70s. With all this in mind, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept Cubby out of it and replaced him with Harry in any scenes with George because George and Cubby never got on.

I imagine that Harry and George got strained by the end of the production too simply because of how hard George was making it to promote the film and give it good word of mouth (while also making it known that he wanted to quit), but Harry was most assuredly a big cheerleader of him before and during OHMSS and was very protective of him in some ways. My favorite example is this story from the set, involving George, some loose cash and Telly Savalas:
    During the filming at Piz Gloria, the cast and crew received their per diems in cash. Upon seeing George Lazenby with a suitcase stuffed full of cash, Telly Savalas invited him to a late-night poker game that he regularly held with crew members, and promptly relieved Lazenby of having to carry so much extra weight. Upon hearing of this, Harry Saltzman visited the location, joined the game over Savalas's protests, and won back Lazenby's money. He then informed Savalas in no uncertain terms that he was not to victimize his "boy" (Lazenby) again.
    Only on a Bond set.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Introducing a friend's family members to the classic works of Alfred Hitchcock:

21-The-Birds-hitchcock-670x1024.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    4D4P5tL.jpg

Next up in my Nolan Bat revisit is probably the most famous film in the trilogy and the one which became a phenomenon upon release in 2008. Almost unanimously praised at the time, and benefiting from the publicity around Heath Ledger’s untimely passing, the film went on to break box office records. I recall being blown away personally upon first viewing but wondered how I’d feel about it now, almost a decade later.

Well it holds up quite nicely as a matter of fact. From the ominous opening frame of the bat symbol shimmering within blue fire (portending the mayhem to ensue), to the subsequent overhead shot of the grappling hook firing into an office tower on a sunny day, you know you’re in for something special. Nolan’s well known penchant for practical effects serves the film’s action well and some of the by now famous sequences (such as the awe inducing lengthwise truck flip, birthing of the batpod, Hong Kong escape, Gotham General hospital explosion which puts the touted one in SP to shame, and bank heist), look as magnificent as ever, especially with the full screen IMAX format blowing up the print to completely fill a home screen. There are also nods to classic genres and films, including Bond (TB style Skyhook escape, Wayne using gadgets without reading instructions, GF style gang member meeting) & Heat (William Fichtner). However, this film is far more than explosions, chases and callbacks.

Ultimately, like its predecessor, it’s as much about characters and the relationships between them as it is about action. It’s about hopes, dreams and promises, all of which are interrupted here by the presence of the dreaded Joker - Batman’s arch nemesis, brilliantly realized by Ledger in an award winning performance. There are other actors in this film of course, but Ledger dominates to such an extent that one wonders if the film should have instead been named after his character, who is a force of nature here. The Joker psychologically manipulates everyone and exploits weaknesses to wreak havoc and chaos on the city and its clueless leaders. There is a deliberate method to his madness that makes it all the more disturbing. The manner in which Aaron Eckhart’s District Attorney Harvey Dent, initially a shining symbol of a better future for Gotham (perhaps without Batman) is broken & destroyed is fascinating to watch. Nolan expertly builds tension and infuses the film with an increasingly discomforting atmosphere so that the viewer feels unsettled & violated. By the end of this disruptive and dark journey no one is left unscathed. Both Dent & Wayne’s childhood love Rachel (played here by Maggie Gyllenhall, replacing Katie Holmes) are dead and Batman is forced to become an outcast, taking the blame in order to inoculate Gotham’s collective psyche from further damage.

This film captured these unsettled times beautifully. In a world where terrorists have no scruples, to what lengths will law enforcement go to succeed? Is torture ever acceptable? What about unilateralism? Mass surveillance? What does it mean to be heroic? Fascinating philosophical questions, and all addressed here. Bale is again superb as the conflicted Batman/Wayne, this time having to deal with external trauma that he may have indirectly created via his Bat guise. The entire supporting cast is also top notch, as are Zimmer and returning cinematographer Wally Pfister who work perfectly in concert with Nolan to give the film a foreboding atmosphere. Having said that, this is all about Ledger, and the diabolical character he plays so brilliantly here.

Excellent review. May just give this a watch tonight.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2018 Posts: 8,090
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Dark Knight (2008)
    4D4P5tL.jpg

Next up in my Nolan Bat revisit is probably the most famous film in the trilogy and the one which became a phenomenon upon release in 2008. Almost unanimously praised at the time, and benefiting from the publicity around Heath Ledger’s untimely passing, the film went on to break box office records. I recall being blown away personally upon first viewing but wondered how I’d feel about it now, almost a decade later.

Well it holds up quite nicely as a matter of fact. From the ominous opening frame of the bat symbol shimmering within blue fire (portending the mayhem to ensue), to the subsequent overhead shot of the grappling hook firing into an office tower on a sunny day, you know you’re in for something special. Nolan’s well known penchant for practical effects serves the film’s action well and some of the by now famous sequences (such as the awe inducing lengthwise truck flip, birthing of the batpod, Hong Kong escape, Gotham General hospital explosion which puts the touted one in SP to shame, and bank heist), look as magnificent as ever, especially with the full screen IMAX format blowing up the print to completely fill a home screen. There are also nods to classic genres and films, including Bond (TB style Skyhook escape, Wayne using gadgets without reading instructions, GF style gang member meeting) & Heat (William Fichtner). However, this film is far more than explosions, chases and callbacks.

Ultimately, like its predecessor, it’s as much about characters and the relationships between them as it is about action. It’s about hopes, dreams and promises, all of which are interrupted here by the presence of the dreaded Joker - Batman’s arch nemesis, brilliantly realized by Ledger in an award winning performance. There are other actors in this film of course, but Ledger dominates to such an extent that one wonders if the film should have instead been named after his character, who is a force of nature here. The Joker psychologically manipulates everyone and exploits weaknesses to wreak havoc and chaos on the city and its clueless leaders. There is a deliberate method to his madness that makes it all the more disturbing. The manner in which Aaron Eckhart’s District Attorney Harvey Dent, initially a shining symbol of a better future for Gotham (perhaps without Batman) is broken & destroyed is fascinating to watch. Nolan expertly builds tension and infuses the film with an increasingly discomforting atmosphere so that the viewer feels unsettled & violated. By the end of this disruptive and dark journey no one is left unscathed. Both Dent & Wayne’s childhood love Rachel (played here by Maggie Gyllenhall, replacing Katie Holmes) are dead and Batman is forced to become an outcast, taking the blame in order to inoculate Gotham’s collective psyche from further damage.

This film captured these unsettled times beautifully. In a world where terrorists have no scruples, to what lengths will law enforcement go to succeed? Is torture ever acceptable? What about unilateralism? Mass surveillance? What does it mean to be heroic? Fascinating philosophical questions, and all addressed here. Bale is again superb as the conflicted Batman/Wayne, this time having to deal with external trauma that he may have indirectly created via his Bat guise. The entire supporting cast is also top notch, as are Zimmer and returning cinematographer Wally Pfister who work perfectly in concert with Nolan to give the film a foreboding atmosphere. Having said that, this is all about Ledger, and the diabolical character he plays so brilliantly here.

Just superb! I await your TDKR rises review with baited breathe.

(Given my avatar, hehe.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I find it very hard to pick the better film if it s between BB and TDK.
    Both excellent. Batman movies might not get that good again.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Last movie I watched:

Tonight: VICTOR/VICTORIA. One of my favourite feel-good movies with one of my favourite actresses ever, Julie Andrews. With a score by one of my favourite composers ever, Henry Mancini. A film that never fails to lift me up, even drag me out of a mild depression (if I define it as such), making me laugh over and over again although I've seen it at least five times or so.

Priceless, and probably in my top ten of all time if I had to choose.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Jaws 3D... intolerable.
    LOL, great list!

There is a good story their just not on the screen
    Jaws 3D is indeed intolerable except for my 80s teen crush, Lea Thompson. ;-)

Jaws3D_bts3-Copie-Copie.jpg
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Star Wars Wow best it's ever looked with best possible upscale, Empire I think is the best though Star Wars is the greatest, this film created it all I clapped at the end. I like the 70's Science Fiction feel to this film, what was achieved with this film and how good it looks is remarkable. I hope one day I can watch a fully restored theatrical version in 4K though it's unlikely.
    001 wrote: »
    Miami Vice (2006)

Boring film.

I find it massively underrated. Such a cool visual film with some really unusual locations. Mann's direction is excellent as usual. Love it.

Are you a Mann fan ?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    We just watched Jackie Chan's The Medallion 2003. Wow, what silly fun. Good fight scenes too. themedallionpic.jpg
  • The Orphanage (2007)
    So-so Spanish horror film. The storyline, which concerns a mother determined to locate her missing son, transitions a little awkwardly between story beats. The screenwriter shoves in a medium/exorcist archetype halfway into the film for a scant ten minutes, just as the story approaches a cul-de-sac. The film's denouement is ultimately unrewarding for those who have sat through a film that, despite its twists and turns, is more passable than consistently impressive.

Hellraiser (1987)
    Mixed feelings over Clive Barker's "Hellraiser." The screenplay unfortunately squanders the film's more fascinating elements (in particular, the hellish world of the Cenobites) for the trite and uninteresting personalities that viewers will be all too familiar with - the jealous brother, the perfidious wife, etc. As a result, we get an unusually restless script that seems to switch character focus midway through, with a very questionable ending. The direction, by and large, is not greatly skilled, for this is indeed the directing debut of the author who penned the film's source material.

The real draw of "Hellraiser" are the very good gore effects and scenes of body horror, that lend themselves to powerful horror imagery. If only the performances were less painful than the death scenes.

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)
    There's not really much I can say about "Caligari" that hasn't been said already. Suffice to say that this is the work of a visionary, made in a time when films weren't 'star vehicles' or moneymaking enterprises, but a medium for artful expression. "Caligari" is endlessly captivating, with its exceptional imagery, chilling tone, and bizarre, stylistic sets. An astounding work of the silent era - I should watch more silent films!

Only reservations I have are when the film feels the need to delve into its 'plot,' which is frankly unnecessary... Indeed, the film begins to stumble a little in Act 5 as it wades through a bit of clunky exposition. The twist ending, whilst justifying the off-kilter sets, does invalidate much of the preceding action.
    The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    XfytvAq.jpg
    Tonight I completed my viewing of the Nolan Bat saga, with the last and perhaps most controversial outing. I realize it’s quite long and doesn’t hit the same highs as BB or TDK, but I’ve always liked this film. Perhaps it could never be realistically expected to, without the charismatic and diabolical Joker as the villain.

Like its predecessor, the film broaches some topical issues of the day and it’s similarly prescient in some ways. As an example, one day we may all wish for a ‘clean slate’, as we increasingly lose our privacy and realize too much of our personal life is online and in the hands of major corporations looking to exploit us, or governments looking to oversee us. Socially responsible investing (SRI) is becoming increasingly popular, and the film touches on that via Wayne's fusion reactor. The concept of idolatry and the consequences of having too much adulation for self proclaimed heroes, public leaders, liberators and false prophets is also touched upon. Most notably, it foretells the populism and class warfare which has gripped many parts of the world, and correctly identifies the reasons for it, namely concentration of wealth and resources in the hands of the few and failure by politicians on both sides of the aisle to address inequality. Wall Street’s complicity in this wealth shift is alluded to via odious individuals like John Daggett, beautifully played by Ben Mendelsohn. Nolan smartly doesn’t take a position on these philosophical issues, but rather just puts them out there for us to take in & absorb.

There’s a real epic scale to this third film too. Some of the setpiece sequences are truly awe inducing, particularly the 9/11 style coordinated explosive attack on Gotham. Unlike rival franchises which depict city destruction in a cartoon like CGI fashion, here it seems real and therefore chillingly reminiscent of that frightening September morning 17 years ago, complete with US Air Force jets zooming past the skyline. Similarly the opening mid flight escape by Bane, no doubt inspired by John Glen’s work for Bond and notably LTK, is truly magnificent in its audacity and execution. The Bane/Bat fight is bone crunching, visceral and vivid. It’s not so much the action, which although well choreographed is nothing special in itself. Rather, it’s the increasing desperation and emotional vulnerability of Batman as he realizes Alfred was correct after all. He is no match for Bane in his current state, and his initial overconfidence and hubris descends into fear and back breaking despair before us, accompanied by chilling commentary by Bane - it’s brilliantly done. My favourite action sequence occurs about 50 minutes into the film when the Batman makes his return after Bane infiltrates the Stock Exchange. The wide eyed senior cop who tells his young colleague that he is “in for a show tonight” perfectly reflected my own emotional excitement at finally seeing the dark knight back in action in the theatre in 2012. Nolan pulls out all his tricks here, reintroducing the Bat at speed on his Batpod in a glorious fanwank moment, and shortly thereafter giving us our first look at the Batplane (named simply the ‘Bat’) as he escapes capture from a dark alley. Pfister’s cinematography during this sequence is superb, with elevated night shots of the city following dozens of police cars in pursuit. The finale is also wonderfully realized, with the Batplane chasing Talia Al Ghul’s (aka Miranda Tate’s), truck above city streets while avoiding missiles as Catwoman picks off armed Tumblers on the Batpod.

Speaking of Catwoman, I was initially quite concerned when I realized she would be in this film. After all, who could surpass Michelle Pfeiffer’s iconic turn in the 1992 Batman Returns. Well, I needn’t have worried because Anne Hathaway completely steals the show. She is at once demure & beguiling as Selina Kyle. Not off-kilter like Pfieffer’s version, but rather very much in control, with an underlying quest for survival. Athletic too (I’m sure I saw her do a roundhouse overhead kick which would make Van Damme proud when taking down a thug on a rooftop. The manner in which she gleefully admires the Batpod before sexily straddling it and her look when travelling in the Batplane are sights to behold as well). I wish there was more of her in this film because her wit and insouciance provide much needed levity.

I had no such concerns about Bane of course because his last filmic appearance was poorly realized in the woefully embarrassing Batman and Robin. As expected, Tom Hardy is very good as the muscular supervillain. The mask, robotic Vader-like voice, physique and demeanour are chilling, and Hardy accurately projects the character’s combination of sheer brute power combined with intelligence. In fact, I still can’t believe it’s him in there – the transformation is so convincing. It’s perhaps true that the character is somewhat undermined due to his depiction here as a sort of protector and servant of Talia, but I didn’t find it to be as offensive as some. His sudden demise is very anticlimactic though, and could have been handled better.

As concerns Talia/Miranda, I feel she is the most poorly depicted character in this film. Marion Cottilard is a compelling actress, but she is let down by the script here. Her ‘surprise’ revelation as the master villain is also poorly handled. Having said that, Talia is supposed to have conflicted feelings for Bruce in the comics, and that does come through in this film. It explains why she allows certain things to play out as they do. I was not aware until recently that the comic character is actually partially based on Tracy from OHMSS.

I have to commend Mr. Zimmer on his score for this film. He creates a memorable piano motif for Ms. Kyle which is at once playful but suspenseful, and perfectly reflects her morally ambiguous persona. His theme for Bane is also distinctive and has a deliberately uneven tone to it underpinned by the rhythm of the ‘fire rises’ chant. It’s unsettling but suggestive of power, and serves as a neat counterweight to Batman’s familiar and more even theme. I think this is his best work in the superhero genre.

Despite all this impressive visual scale and epic scope, at its core I feel that this is an intimate film – one which brings the story back full circle to Bruce Wayne, where it all began. Nolan smartly focuses as much on him as he does Batman, as he is forced yet again to confront the group that trained him – namely the League of Shadows. Christian Bale gives us his most complex and multi-faceted realization of the character yet. There’s a wounded weariness to him here which reflects the cumulative impact of what his character has been through over the years. The callbacks to key moments in the earliest film are a nice touch too (young Wayne’s fall down the well, the importance of Martha’s pearls, his first meeting with Gordon as a frightened young boy). For those like myself who have been fully invested in this iteration of the character and all his trials and tribulations, this film is a wonderfully satisfying and epic conclusion to this landmark trilogy. It’s not perfect, is a bit overlong, and seems overburdened by its ambition at times (most notably once Bane takes control of Gotham) but it’s also undeniably top drawer entertainment brought to us by a master of the game. This is wiithout doubt (for me) the most meaningful and therefore best realization of this amazing character on the big screen. I very much hope that Nolan gets his hands on James Bond soon for a suggested ‘reimagination’ and can’t wait to see what he does with him. “You have to be needed”, he’s said. Well, I think we need you Chris!
    WHERE EAGLES DARE.
    Well it wasnt on Television this Christmas, but i still watch it this time every year. Whats not to like? Burtons commanding voice and Eastwood coolness and action chops ( love when he uses two machine guns!) , Alistair Maclean storytelling, great locations, the legendary Yakima Canutt on stunt duties (highlight being that great cable car fight!) Ron Goodwins marvellous theme and an action packed final section! Great stuff!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    WHERE EAGLES DARE.
    Well it wasnt on Television this Christmas, but i still watch it this time every year. Whats not to like? Burtons commanding voice and Eastwood coolness and action chops ( love when he uses two machine guns!) , Alistair Maclean storytelling, great locations, the legendary Yakima Canutt on stunt duties (highlight being that great cable car fight!) Ron Goodwins marvellous theme and an action packed final section! Great stuff!
    Best spy film ever made. Hands down.
    @bondjames
    Reading your three Nolan Bat reviews back-to-back has just persuaded me to check these films out again - today!

It was a delight reading your thoughts, to the point where I'd love to read other Bat reviews, say about the Burton, Schumacher, Snyder, ... films. ;-)
    Thanks again @DarthDimi. It was a privilege to view them all again and a great way to start off the new year. Such a wonderful trilogy of films that really gets to the core of who Batman is. I hope you enjoy revisiting them as much as I did. I haven't seen the older films in a while and may get round to them soon. There's definitely a lot to like there too.
    --
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    WHERE EAGLES DARE.
    Best spy film ever made. Hands down.
    I'm a huge fan of this film too. I wish there was a remastered copy of it because the version I have doesn't do the film justice. I must check this out again soon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @bondjames, good reviews, I won't even waste time posting all my thoughts on TDKR because it won't be anywhere as thought out and eloquent as that is, but I gotta say, I genuinely, really enjoyed the hell out of it this time around. I loved it upon my first viewing in theaters, but the more I saw it, the more it started to get on my nerves, with plot holes and inconsistencies appearing around every corner. But I set all of that aside and simply tried to enjoy everything else, and it was a damn good time. The film only gets more insane and intense as the time continues to tick down to those final few minutes. There's also a lot I picked up on this time around that I hadn't before. Terrific trilogy.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Manic Cop (1988) dir. William Lustig. Arrow Video blu-ray. A recent present, and was in the mood for an 80's slasher/thriller. Quite a good little film, not as extreme as one would imagine given the cover art/title, but I've seen a lot worse. Holds up quite well.
    @Creasy47, I have to admit that I might have blinkers on when it comes to the final film because while I realize there are a lot of notable flaws in the later half I just get wrapped up in the whole spectacle of it all and really connect with Wayne's journey and resurrection. That final scene of him with Ms. Kyle in the restaurant gets me every time, particularly as Zimmer's famous score kicks in at full blast. Glad you enjoyed it too. I don't have a 4K tv yet but will certainly purchase the entire set again (along with Dunkirk) once prices get to a more reasonable level.