Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

• edited December 2017 Posts: 12,265
    Upon rewatch, it confirmed ROTS is far and away the best prequel, and also my personal favorite of all SW films post-original trilogy. My full ranking, including RO:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Return of the Jedi
    3. A New Hope
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. The Last Jedi
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. Attack of the Clones
    8. The Phantom Menace
    9. Rogue One
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Some acting and dialogue need to be polished and the "she's lost the will to live" crap needs to be changed.
    It's precisely this sort of sentimental tripe which makes the last two of the prequels almost intolerable for me, despite lots of good elements elsewhere. A shame. I almost find it uncomfortable to view them because of this.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Great
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Good
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Average
    Attack of the Clones
    Phantom Menace

Watched the majority of the films this week my ranking has changed, the prequels have dropped as time is being less kind to them. Rogue One rewatch I really enjoyed, I genuinely think Rogue One is a great movie, the finale is phenomenal.

Now we have seen how hard Rian found it to continue the saga in a cohessive and compelling way, perhaps RO should get more credt for how seemlessly it fitted in and actually added in a positive way to the original SW story
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    patb wrote: »
    Now we have seen how hard Rian found it to continue the saga in a cohessive and compelling way, perhaps RO should get more credt for how seemlessly it fitted in and actually added in a positive way to the original SW story

The grit and dirt in Rogue One really gives it authenticity it feels more real to me than the glossier episodes 7 and 8, there is so much more scale in Rogue One also there is a real sense that the Empire is everywhere and that the Empire is a constant threat. I would welcome Edwards back to make another Star Wars film.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Great
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Good
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Average
    Attack of the Clones
    Phantom Menace

Watched the majority of the films this week my ranking has changed, the prequels have dropped as time is being less kind to them. Rogue One rewatch I really enjoyed, I genuinely think Rogue One is a great movie, the finale is phenomenal.
    Mine are similar:

Great
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Good
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi (I'm assuming- haven't seen it yet...)
    Revenge of the Sith
    Below Average
    Attack of the Clones (Just can't get past the Mom thing in this)
    Phantom Menace (Jar Jar... OMFG)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Great
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Good
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi
    Revenge of the Sith
    Average
    Attack of the Clones
    Phantom Menace

Mine are similar:

Great
    Empire Strikes Back
    Star Wars
    Return of the Jedi
    Rogue One
    Good
    The Force Awakens
    The Last Jedi (I'm assuming- haven't seen it yet...)
    Revenge of the Sith
    Below Average
    Attack of the Clones (Just can't get past the Mom thing in this)
    Phantom Menace (Jar Jar... OMFG)

The bottom two films were close Obi Wan v Jango and the Kamino scenes in AOTC... are pretty good so narrowly beat TPM...
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

The grit and dirt in Rogue One really gives it authenticity it feels more real to me than the glossier episodes 7 and 8, there is so much more scale in Rogue One also there is a real sense that the Empire is everywhere and that the Empire is a constant threat. I would welcome Edwards back to make another Star Wars film.

Precisely, and I feel like it’s too late for Disney to establish that same level of danger in these new films.

The only Star Wars left for me are the anthology films

Precisely, and I feel like it’s too late for Disney to establish that same level of danger in these new films.

The only Star Wars left for me are the anthology films

I have heard rumours that an announcement for a Obi Wan movie is imminent, I think Disney may go back to the earlier films more often than not.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09k5l6w

The Galaxy Britain Built celebrates the British contribution to the original Star Wars.

Presenter and Star Wars fan David Whiteley uncovers some never-before-heard stories from the geniuses who helped build the galaxy, from the costume designer and art director to the man who made the lightsaber. It was a time when science fiction films were not box office draws, and very few people in the industry believed in George Lucas's vision. But his first Star Wars film ended up being a very British endeavour.

The programme documents the behind-the-scenes talent that helped bring the galaxy to life in the late 1970s. It also looks at how the British talent continues to be part of the Star Wars legacy to the present day.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited December 2017 Posts: 40,467
    DSEhsiZWsAAGjpk.jpg

DSEhsiZXcAAtlKK.jpg
    I can't get past someone pretending to be Han Solo

Neither can I. Doesn't build confidence they had to get an acting coach for the guy, either.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Neither can I. Doesn't build confidence they had to get an acting coach for the guy, either.

That is odd for 007 fans I would say. ;)

The Falcon looks different, apparently a teaser trailer is a few weeks away.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SaintMark wrote: »

That is odd for 007 fans I would say. ;)

Yes, remember Pierce Brosnan?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ron Howard is a decent director, so I'm hopeful that he can pull something off, but so far I'm not enthused about what I've read about this film. I know nothing about this lead chap who apparently needs acting lessons, and wonder if that's because he isn't able to properly capture the nuances of Ford's Solo interpretation, or whether it's because he's just a bad actor.

It's been my experience with these things that the actor has to find his own voice for the character, and I hope he does that rather than attempting to be 'Ford as Solo' lite. I'm pretty sure Disney is aware of the risks with this effort, especially following the less than stellar audience reviews for TLJ.
    Ewan did a good job with Obi Wan and kind of did his own thing, Obi Wan was also necessary in the prequels and the larger age gap between Ewan and Sir Alec helped. Of course it's my opinion though I got a young Han in a film called Star Wars, Han and Lando are so iconic in Empire I don't want to see other people play them in a unnecessary movie.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DSEhsiZWsAAGjpk.jpg

DSEhsiZXcAAtlKK.jpg

Those have been confirmed fake.
  • Well done though! He does look like how I'd imagine a younger Han Solo would look! And I do love Donald Glover.

anigif_enhanced-22779-1412118100-3.gif
    I just saw "The Last Jedi". Right now, I have a very low opinion of the Sequel Trilogy. Very low. "The Last Jedi" and "The Force Awakens" are probably the only two Star Wars films that I actively dislike.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DRush76 wrote: »
    I just saw "The Last Jedi". Right now, I have a very low opinion of the Sequel Trilogy. Very low. "The Last Jedi" and "The Force Awakens" are probably the only two Star Wars films that I actively dislike.

I wasn't fond of Force Awakens. I'll be seeing Last Jedi tomorrow but I have low hopes...
    Ranking:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Rogue One
    6. The Force Awakens
    7. The Last Jedi
    8. Attack of the Clones
    9. The Phantom Menace

Life imitates art. The guy, whatshisface, played an actor who needed acting coach in Coens film Hail Ceasar!

He was really really bad.
    SharkBait wrote: »

Life imitates art. The guy, whatshisface, played an actor who needed acting coach in Coens film Hail Ceasar!

He was really really bad.

He did! Forgot about that, they make a huge deal out of his accent in that, loved his "acting coach" scenes.

Just seems like an odd thing to require for what'll end up being him playing Harrison Ford playing Han Solo.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    SOLO will be a tough sell for me. Ford is not replaceable, in any role. I don't want another Indy, nor do I want another Han. Then again, I'll give the film an honest chance.
    Agreed, it will have to be a hell of a story with wonderful direction to overcome the basic concept. But it came be done
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I do understand why people are being so negative towards SOLO. Ford isn't in the role and we have this virtually unknown actor playing Han. However, I'm a huge Star Wars fan and Han is my favorite character from the saga, and one of my favorite characters from anything, and I'm still looking forward to this movie. I'm not worried about them having to bring an acting coach on set for him, they do things like that all the time. That's just the media and "fans" trying to get us to focus on the negative. I brush stuff like that off until I see a trailer and sometime until I see the movie.
    I like Donald Glover but he doesn't look like Lando and from what I have seen him in, I can't imagine him doing Lando justice. As far as Alden Ehrenreich goes, he looks like Han, not Harrison Ford, but Han. Even though the "leaked" pic is fake I still love it and Ehrenreich looks the part. Can't wait!
    53f9199ae5561181bd807d7c996cc19c948c0074.jpg?mw=600

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Since my viewing of TLJ, I've gone back and watched the films in order from RO.
    Not the biggest fan of the prequel trilogy. Though they have their moments. Not many, but they have them.
    RO is a film I've enjoyed since it came out. Neatly ties into ANH.
    ANH is just a classic that it is, and needs no real comment. It's got it all, and is always highly enjoyable. One of the most re-watchable films I can think of. TESB is again the standard to which all Star Wars films are measured. So much to love in this film. A definite equal to ANH, and my personal favourite of all the films.
    ROJ is a film that I used to kind of struggle with. I sometimes found it a weaker film to end the original series with. However, I find myself liking it more and more. From when the rebels plan their attack, and land on Endor, the film just doesn't give up.
    A stunning climax to the original trilogy. Han, Leia, Chewie and the droids doing their thing on Endor with the Ewoks. Luke and Vader in combat aboard the Death Star and Lando and the Rebel fleet engaged in space battle. It truly is epic.
    The only thing I despise, is the newer editions where Sebastian Shaw (Anakin) has been replaced by Hayden Christensen (Anakin) It just annoys me. Makes no sense and is stupid. Other than that, top film.
    Whilst TLJ still angers me, I can still fall back on the originals...and RO and TFA for Star Wars enjoyment.
    May the force be with you.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I'm going to give Solo an honest chance too but my hopes aren't high.