It's Grεεκ To Me

RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
edited August 2019 in Trivia & Games Posts: 12,914
272_2846_443_Screen_shot_2014_05_12_at_3_33_04_PM.png
Greek: "ελληνικά"
Latin: "Graecum est; non legitur"

This phrase arose in the Middle Ages to recognize the decline
of the use of the Greek language and alphabet.

Further popularized by Shakespeare in the 16th Century
with his play The Tragedy of Julius Caesar:
CASSIUS: Did Cicero say anything?
CASCA: Ay, he spoke Greek.
CASSIUS: To what effect?
CASCA: Nay, an I tell you that, I’ll ne'er look you i' th' face again.
But those that understood him smiled at one another and shook their heads.
But, for mine own part, it was Greek to me. I could tell you more news too.
Murellus and Flavius, for pulling scarfs off Caesar’s images, are put to silence.
Fare you well. There was more foolery yet, if I could remember it.

Regarding Bond films, there are Greek cultural items sprinkled among
mission plots and characters to be given context and understanding.

The Task: Identify items of Greek myth and culture in Bond book or film.
Can be character names, mentions in dialogue, locations,
use of Greek words, philosophy, myth, history, wine and other
spirits, food and other cultural staples.

You name the item and film or book: then it will be given more detail.
Based on responses, beyond Greek this discussion can absorb related language and culture.

topic_4_01.jpg

KEY:

Fleming: CR, LALD, MR, DAF, FRWL, DN, TDS, GF, FYEO, FAVTAK, QOS, RS, THR, TB, TSWLM, OHMSS, TS, YOLT, TMWTGG, OP, TLD, TPOAL, OINY
Film: CR54, DN, FRWL, GF, TB, YOLT, CR67, DAF, LALD, TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR, FYEO, OP, NSNA, AVTAK, TLD, LTK, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD, CR, QOS, SF, SP
Gardner: LR, FSS, IB, ROH, NLF, NDMB, SC, WLD, LTK, BC, TMFB, DIS, NSF, SF, GE, CO
Benson: BFTP, ZMT, TND, TFOD, MND, LAF, HTTK, TWINE, DS, NDOD, TMWTRT, DAD
Other: CS, JBJ, DMC, CB, SO, TM, FAAD
Comics: THc, IOCc, SAc
Games: auf, bs, frwl, eon, ge, nf

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 12,914
    Greek-Mythology.png
    Greek Names and Myth

Abacus - Abacus (άβακας) - counting device - (FRWL, YOLT) p. 16
    Achilles - Αχιλλεύς - greatest Greek warrior, almost immortal, with a fatal flaw -
    (CR, LALD, FRWL, OHMSS, AVTAK) p. 2
    Aeacus - Αἰακός - king of Aegina, later judge of the Underworld - (LALD) p. 15
    Aegean - (FRWL, FYEO)
    Aegis
    Aeneid - TC
    Arcadia - Αρκαδία -
    Alexandropolis = (FRWL)
    Apollo - Ἀπόλλων - Greek son of Zeus and Leto - (TC, YOLT, DAF, MR) p. 14

Athens - Αθήνα - capital of Greece and its largest city - (FRWL, YOLT, FRWL, FYEO) p. 16
    Atlantis - Ατλαντίδα -
    Attica -
    Avernus - (ἄορνος - TC
    Basilisk - βασιλίσκ - a little king, later king serpent - (OHMSS, OHMSS) p. 14
    Biathlon
    Bosphorus - (FRWL, FRWL)
    Calypso - Καλυψώ - Greek nymph of her own island - (DN, FYEO, TMWTGG, TC, DN) p. 14
    Cassandra - Κασσανδρα - Greek princess, prophet of disaster - (FYEO) p. 3
    Cerberus - Κέρβερος - three-headed dog, The Hound of Hades - (LALD) pp. 24-25
    Charon - Χάρων - ferryman of souls to the Underworld - (LALD) p. 15
    Chimera - Χίμαιρα - a monstrous assembly of lion, goat, and serpent - (SF) p. 13
    Citadel
    Corinth
    Crete
    Cyclops - Κύκλωψ - a race of one-eyed giants - (MR, GF, auf) p. 17
    Daphnis
    Drama
    Eidolon -
    Elektra - Ἠλέκτρα - sought to avenge father King Agamemnon's death - (LALD, MR, FYEO, LTK, TWINE) p. 1
    Eunuch - εὐνοῦχος - a castrated man, includes in service to or guarding women - (CR) p. 16
    Galata - Γαλατᾶς - a neighborhood, and a bridge crossing the Golden Horn to Constantinople - p. 17
    Galatea - Γαλάτεια - statue of Pygmalion; or, love of Cyclops Polyphemus - (MR) p. 15
    El Greco (Doménikos Theotokópoulos)
    Greece (GF, TC)
    Greece, King Paul of (OP)
    Greek Frontier
    Greek god (GF
    Greek Syndicate
    Griffin - γρύψ - mythical beast with eagle's head-wings-talons and lion's body -
    (OHMSS, FRWL, GF, YOLT, OHMSS, TMWTGG, MR, FYEO, NSNA, GE, TND, TWINE, CR, SF) p. 16
    Hades - Ἅιδης - Greek ruler of The Underworld - (OHMSS) p. 15
    Harpie - στρίγκλα - a combination of bird of prey and woman - (comic strip) p. 14
    Hector - Έκτορας - Troy's greatest warrior killed by Achilles in battle - (MR, LALD, FYEO, LTK) p. 1-2
    Hermes - Ἑρμῆς
    Homer - Ὅμηρος - author of epic Greek poems The Iliad, The Odyssey - (LALD, GF, YOLT, TMWTGG) p. 3
    Hymettus
    Icarus -Ἴκαρος - flew too close to the sun and perished - (DAD) p. 4
    Idomeni
    Irina - Ирина - Greek female given name, from Eirene (Εἰρήνη) goddess of peace - (GE, BRC) p. 16
    Ithaca - ɪθəkə
    Labyrinth - Λαβύρινθος - the maze lair of the Minotaur - (LALD, TC) p. 15
    Liparus -
    Macedonian
    Manticore - μαρτιχώρα - (Persian) mythical combination of lion, man's face, and lethal tail - (GE) p. 16
    Marathon
    Melinoe
    Minos - Μίνως - king of Crete, later judge of the Underworld - (LALD) p. 15
    Minotaur - Μίνως ταύρο - monster creation from a union of woman and bull - (CR) p. 4
    Nike - Νίκη - goddess representing victory - (DN, GF, OHMSS, YOLT, TMWTGG, FRWL, GF, TB,OHMSS, DAF, TMWTGG, MR, FYEO, OP, AVTAK, LTK, GE, TND, TWINE, CR, SF, SP) P. 9
    Nikon - Νίκων - name variation of Nike, also patron saint of Sparta - (TB, DAF, TMWTGG, OP) pp. 14-15
    Oedipus - Οἰδίπους - King of Thebes and tragic hero - (YOLT, TMWTGG, TND, SF)
    Olympus
    Olympic -
    Ourobouros - οὐροβόρος - serpent-eats-head symbol of eternity, alchemy - (LALD) p. 15
    Pandora
    Papagos
    Paroxysm - παροξυσμός - MR
    Pegasos - Πήγασος - a white horse with wings, maker of wells by hoof stomp - (AVTAK TLD, LTK, GE, CR) p. 8
    Penelope - Πηνελόπεια ; Πηνελόπη - faithful wife of Odysseus awaiting his return - (TSWLM, OP) p. 4
    Poseidon
    Pyramus
    Rhadamanthus - Ῥαδάμανθυς - king of Crete, later judge of the Underworld - (LALD) p. 15
    Rhodope Mountains
    Salonica
    Serrai
    Sibyl (for Sybil) - LALD
    Sphinx - Σφίγξ - creature combining a woman's head, lion's body, eagle's wings - (TSWLM) p. 15
    Stentor - Στέντωρ - Greek herald with the voice of 50 men - (CR, OHMSS) p.13
    St. Cyrill's
    Styx
    Talon (for Tallon) - MR
    Thessaloniki
    Thisbe
    Triana - τρίαινα
    Trojan
    Xanthi - Ξάνθη
    Zacharias - Ζαχαρίας - MR
    Zographos - Ζωγράφος

Greek phrases and language

Herkos odónton : χέρκος οδόντων - the hedge (or barrier) of teeth - (OHMSS) p. 2
    Thrasos

To do:

Characters:

Ernst Stavro Blofeld:
    Milos Columbo
    Alex Dimitrios
    Ari Kristatos
    Maria Stavro Michelopoulos
    Melina

Actors:

Telly Savalas (OHMSS)
    Dave Bautista (SP)
    Tchéky Karyo (GE): has a Greek mother
    Jimmy Roussounis (TWINE)
    Maria Menounos (FRWLvg)
    Simon Kassianides (QOS)
    Tonia Sotiropoulou (SF)
    edited January 2019 Posts: 12,914
    greek-mythology-clipart-9.jpg
    The Greek Alphabet
    α ά β γ δ ε έ ζ η ή θ ι ί κ λ μ ν ξ ο ό π ρ σ ς τ υ ύ φ χ ψ ω ώ

Αα - Alpha - the Greek alphabet's 1st letter; dominant one -
    (GF, TLD, GE; MR, FYEO, TC, DN, OHMSS, FYEO, OP, TWINE, QOS, SP) pp. 5-6
    Ββ - Beta - the Greek alphabet's 2nd letter (& number) - (FRWL, FRWL, GE, SP) p. 6
    Γγ - Gamma - the Greek alphabet's 3rd letter (& number); radiation - (GF, TB, TDS, TC) p. 5
    Δδ - Delta - the Greek alphabet's 4th letter - (MR, GF, TB, LALD, MR, GE, TND, QOS) pp. 6-7
    Εε - Epsilon
    Ζζ - Zeta
    Ηη - Eta
    Θθ - Theta
    Ιι - Iota
    Κκ - Kappa
    Λλ - Lambda
    Μμ - Mu
    Νν - Nu
    Ξξ - Xi
    Οο - Omicron
    Ππ - Pi
    Ρρ - Rho
    Σσς - Sigma - the Greek alphabet's 18th letter ; summation; deviation - (CR, SP) p. 7
    Ττ - Tau
    Υυ - Upsilon
    Φφ - Phi
    Χχ - Chi
    Ψψ - Psi
    Ωω - Omega - the Greek alphabet’s 24th & last letter -
    (OHMSS, LTK, GE, TND, TWINE, DAD, CR, QOS, SF, SP) pp. 4-5

Greek Numeral Prefixes

1 mono
    2 di
    3 tri
    4 tetra
    5 penta
    6 hexa
    7 hepta
    8 octa
    9 ennea
    10 deca
    11 hendeca
    12 dodeca
    13 triskaideca
    14 tetrakaideca
    15 pentakaideca
    16 hexakaideca
    17 heptakaideca
    18 octakaideca
    19 enneakaideca
    20 icosa
    24 icositetra
    30 triconta or triaconta
    40 tetraconta
    50 pentaconta
    60 hexeconta (or hexaconta)
    70 heptaconta
    80 octaconta
    90 enneaconta
    100 hecto or hecato
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    Oh, I'm gonna love this!

Elektra King TWINE

Electra, daughter of King Agamemnon.

If I get your words right @RichardTheBruce you will now write about this? Or am I supposed to do it?
    edited December 2017 Posts: 12,914
    Thanks, @Andi1996Ruegg, you gave an excellent starting point.

My plan is to follow the style that evolved on the Birding Bond discussion, so I'm on the hook to give initial detail. Of course the floor is always open to the board audience for their input and new directions.
    Splendid, sir! Looking forward to your essay.
  • As someone who's held a fascination for ancient Greece and Greek mythology since childhood but rarely taken the opportunity in adulthood to explore the field in-depth, I eagerly look forward to what this thread unfolds. If it does for ancient Greece what your bird thread did for ornithurae, I will be in the realm of the gods.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Great thread. I've noted a decent amount of Greek influences or references in a good number of the films to this point.
  • Great thread. I've noted a decent amount of Greek influences or references in a good number of the films to this point.

Just running through some of the films in my head (OHMSS, TSWLM, AVTAK, DAD, SF...) I'm finding there are perhaps deceptively many. It will be wonderful to see them explored here.
    Interesting thread! I'm not too familiar with Greek myths and culture, so it will be fun to follow. :-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Great thread. I've noted a decent amount of Greek influences or references in a good number of the films to this point.

Just running through some of the films in my head (OHMSS, TSWLM, AVTAK, DAD, SF...) I'm finding there are perhaps deceptively many. It will be wonderful to see them explored here.

Funny that FYEO isn t on your list.
    edited January 2018 Posts: 12,914
    Elektra / ɪˈlɛktrə / noun

Greek (Ἠλέκτρα, meaning amber). Also: Electra.

Elektra: Greek tragedy, versions by Euripides and Sophocles. Daughter of King Agamemnon and Queen Clytemnestra, of Mycenae. Sister to Iphigenia, Chrysothemis, Orestes. With Orestes, plotted the murder of their mother Clytemnestra and Aegisthus (her lover), as revenge for murdering their father.

On returning from the Trojan War King Agamemnon was murdered by his wife and her lover. Agamemnon earlier sacrificed their daughter (Iphigenia) to Artemis then departed to Troy--his wife never forgave him for this act, and also suspected he murdered her first husband. Agamemnon's traveling consort Cassandra warned him of the plan, still he was killed on arrival.

So the children retreated to Athens. Orestes sought guidance from the Oracle of Delphi. The prescription: seek revenge for the death of Agamemnon, their father. At Mycenae, assisted by Elektra and also by cousin and best friend Pylades, Orestes himself killed his mother and the lover, but not before being cursed by Clytemnestra. The curse: to be chased by the Furies (or Erinyes), punishers of those who commit matricide and violence.

Elektra sought and achieved revenge, but by not committing the physical act she escaped haunting by the Furies. (There are variations on the story for Elektra's involvement, and whether she suffered a price by assisting murderous acts.)

Murder of King Agamemnon
    Murder_Agamemnon.jpg
    Elektra and Orestes
    Electra_and_Orestes_-_Project_Gutenberg_eText_14994.png
    Orestes kills Aegisthus, Elektra looks away
    contentItem-3675188-21591303-e4t7w5x7vivc1-or.jpg
    The Furies beset Orestes
    4a2987df5798d7bb3315c1dd43ce2d16.jpg
    Bond connection to the film ELEKTRA from 2005: Will Yun Lee.
    For Your Eyes Only, John Glen, 1981.
    Melina Havelock recognizes her Greek heritage on the death of her parents.
    For-Your-Eyes-Only-Melina-Carole-Bouquet.png385938_640.jpg
    Bond: The Chinese have a saying--"Before setting out on revenge, you first dig two graves."

Melina: I don't expect you to understand. You're English, but I'm half Greek.
    And Greek women, like Electra...always avenge their loved ones.
    Grave.svg
    The World Is Not Enough, Michael Apted, 1999.
    A very different Elektra than from myth. Selfish. Outright mad.
    Elektra-King-The-World-is-Not-Enough.jpg
    M: So you killed your father.

Elektra: He killed me. He killed me the day he refused to pay my ransom.

M: Was this all about the oil?

Elektra: It is my oil. Mine...and my family's. It runs in my veins, thicker than blood.
    I'm going to redraw the map. And when I'm through, the whole world will know my name...
    ...my grandfather's name, the glory of my people!
    industrial-clipart-oil-refinery-13.jpg

Interestingly, I took another look at the Ian Fleming story and it references more English lore than Greek.
    For Your Eyes Only, Ian Fleming, 1960.
    "For Your Eyes Only"

The girl looked like a beautiful unkempt dryad in ragged shirt and trousers. The shirt and trousers were olive green, crumpled and splashed with mud and stains and torn in places, and she had bound her pale blonde hair with golden-rod to conceal its brightness for her crawl through the meadow. The beauty of her face was wild and rather animal, with a wide sensuous mouth, high cheekbones and silvery grey, disdainful eyes. There was the blood of scratches on her forearms and down one cheek, and a bruise had puffed and slightly blackened the same cheekbone. The metal feathers of a quiver full of arrows showed above her left shoulder. Apart from the bow, she carried nothing but a hunting knife at her belt and, at her other hip, a small brown canvas bag that presumably carried her food. She looked like a beautiful, dangerous customer who knew wild country and forests and was not afraid of them. She would walk alone through life and have little use for civilisation.

Bond thought she was wonderful. He smiled at her. He said softly, reassuringly: "I suppose you're Robina Hood. My name's James Bond." He reached for his flask and unscrewed the top and held it out. "Sit down and have a drink of this — firewater and coffee. And I've got some biltong. Or do you live on dew and berries?"
    ek-jaguar-i-recurve-black-150-lbs.jpg
  • Great thread. I've noted a decent amount of Greek influences or references in a good number of the films to this point.

FYEO...Greek references, Greek references...hmmm...
    Bond connection to the film ELEKTRA from 2005: Will Yun Lee.
    Jennifer Garner has my respect.

Elektra, Rob Bowman, 2005.
    fc7203ee00f903fc60c2cbdc28f2db0f--fantasy-movies-crime.jpg

As noted, Will Yun Lee is on board as Kirigi.

As sourced to the Epic Comics/Marvel Comics Elektra: Assassin, 8 issues, 1986-87.
    Writer Frank Miller, illustrator Bill Sienkiewicz.
    Known for strong women, ultra-violence, politics, ninjas, cyborgs.

Recalled cover.
    Elektra3RecalledCover.jpg
    Afraid of the Dark series.
    865979.jpg
    elektra-wallpaper-20.jpg
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

FYEO...Greek references, Greek references...hmmm...
    You show mighty thrasos, @Some_Kind_Of_Hero. And where there is thrasos there is also...cheekiness. ;)
  • "Thrasýs" is indeed a Greek translation of "cheeky!" Though "αναιδής" might be a more apt translation.
    I trust your scholarly expertise on these matters. I think.
  • Trust Google.
    Two more Bond film hits. Take note, @Agent_99.

Live and Let Die, Guy Hamilton, 1973.
    Harley Davidson Electra Glide motorcycle. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=193777
    harley-davidson-ultra-classic-electra-glide-1450-002.jpg
    i193777.jpg
    Licence to Kill, John Glen, 1989.
    Harley Davidson Electra Glide motorcycle. Deleted scene. http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle.php?id=417046
    Harley-davidson-electra-4.jpg
    i417046.jpg
    e31c8c842d16fb118cf3108d4c1fa298--motorcycle-coloring-page-tom-poston.jpg
    And another one.
    Moonraker, Lewis Gilbert, 1979.
    Lockheed L-188A Electra. http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=Moonraker#Lockheed_L-188A_Electra
    s-l300.jpg
    800px-C-180.jpg
    atr72.gif
    "Richard! I'm very impressed. There's a lot more to you than I had expected."

"Brilliant. I'm almost speechless with admiration."

It's always a pleasure to welcome someone with a mutual interest.
    With pleasure, An'. With pleasure. I'll do my best.

Also note I've posted the Greek alphabet toward the start, to collect those quick mentions from the dialog once they're ID'd. From α to...well, you know.
    You re a regular detective.
    I have my sources.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,727
    I love Greece and the Greeks and so I will be keeping a close eye on this "future classic" @RichardTheBruce thread!

And hopefully my favourite continuation Bond novel Colonel Sun (1968) will feature at some point too! :)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Two more Bond film hits. Take note, @Agent_99.

Ooh, good spot (and the Lockheed too)! I've been on the back of an Electra Glide; doubt I could even hold one upright by myself.

I'm re-reading OHMSS at the moment and there's a fair amount of Greek going on, from the 'herkos odonton' to Achilles' heel. I'll be on the lookout now!
    I've always viewed OHMSS as when Greek myth and Bond spy story meet, not only in the tragic nature of the story but the plentiful references of Greek myth and the story's usage of similar tropes.
    I've always viewed OHMSS as when Greek myth and Bond spy story meet, not only in the tragic nature of the story but the plentiful references of Greek myth and the story's usage of similar tropes.

Also includes Telly Savalas! Didn't the Blofeld character have Greek background, too?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com

Also includes Telly Savalas! Didn't the Blofeld character have Greek background, too?

Yes, he was half-Greek I believe.