It's Grεεκ To Me

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Licence to Kill, John Glen, 1989.
    Heller: His Excellency, el presidente Lopez.

Sanchez: Hector. Pasa.

Hector: There's been a mistake with my cheque. Look at it. It's half the usual amount.

Sanchez: You were very quiet...when I was arrested. Remember, you're only president... for life.
    1453177.gif
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Fascinating to see that the name Hector is used on the bad-guy side so often, whilst when I look at the story he seems the most balanced and sensible of the bunch, and Achilles is a bad winner.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    He's just a big loveable old Hector. (NB this is slightly before my time.)

51NTS98S0BL._SY445_.jpg

hectorshouse7.jpg

(I once went to see a comedy show about the Trojan War called Hector's House. It was pretty eclectic all round.)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Well Hecot's been saved, thank you @Agent_99 !
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 19,339
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I know..i had to keep my wits about me...but I've had flings with 4 married women overall,so i'm a bit like Bond in that respect he he .
    Christ, @barryt007, now THAT is some thrasos!

I'm starting to think you are Craig Bond brought to life...
    Solange: "You like married women, don't you, James?"

Bond: "It keeps things simple."

tumblr_ovsdy3Pk2h1r1ult6o2_500.gif
    tumblr_ovsdy3Pk2h1r1ult6o1_500.gif
    tumblr_ovsdy3Pk2h1r1ult6o3_500.gif

Blimey,i forgot that scene Brady...good find !
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    He's just a big loveable old Hector. (NB this is slightly before my time.)

(I once went to see a comedy show about the Trojan War called Hector's House. It was pretty eclectic all round.)
    Yeah, the green olive branches really give it away. They're Greek.

Seems like it's taken on some modern meaning as well. "Hector" redeemed.

1262969195036860677136396665411o.jpg
    edited December 2017 Posts: 13,014
    Cassandra / Κασσανδρα / kəˈsandrə / noun

1. the Greek princess, daughter to Priam, Hecuba
    2. a prophet of disaster

Greek (Κασσανδρα/Kassandra; maybe from κεκασμαι/kekasmai, "to excel, to shine", and ανηρ/aner, "man").

Cassandra: daughter of Trojan King Priam, Queen Hecuba. Apollo gave her the gift of prophecy. She cheated Apollo (or resisted his advances on her) and he cursed her to not be believed, however true her predictions were. (She teaches prophesy to her brother Helenus--his predictions are also true, plus he is believed.)

During the fall of Troy Cassandra is assaulted by Ajax and taken as concubine by King Agamemnon of Mycenae. In his absence his wife Clytemnestra and her lover Aegisthus conspire against him. They murder Agamemnon and Cassandra on his return.

In death Cassandra's soul is deemed worthy of Elysian Fields, an elite place in the underworld for mortals related to gods. A reward from the gods for her dedication and religious faith.

Cassandra.
    2162dfaeac22cf6e74ed118c03c352a5.jpg

Apollo and Cassandra.
    66f988f381947d329c6a72b29904efd2--greek-tragedy-roman-mythology.jpg
    Ajax drags Cassandra away as Troy is pillaged.
    959.w.400.jpg
    Cassandra pulled from a statue of Athena and assaulted by Ajax.
    ec97089075a095832682607396f93d9c--greek-pottery-gods-and-goddesses.jpg
    330px-Aias_Kassandra_Louvre_G458.jpg
    Clytemnestra killing Cassandra.
    cassandra.jpg?1499652995
    Elysian Fields. Forever.
    Elysium.jpg
    For Your Eyes Only, John Glen, 1981.
    Cassandra Harris cast as Countess Lisl von Schlaf.
    lisl.png

Lisl: Me nightie’s slipping.

Bond: So is your accent, countess.
    Pierce Brosnan and wife Cassandra Harris.
    http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F720210b3ce77b5b562c2a5e6175a9d21%2F205137037%2Factor-pierce-brosnan-and-wife-cassandra-harris-attend-the-california-picture-id144944840
    MV5BNDI4MzU5Mzg0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTA4MzcxOA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1253,1000_AL_.jpg
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I was in Greece in 1988. I met an old German nazi there in a bank, he thought the guy behind the counter was a jew.

They see them everywhere, those people.

It was the crooked nose and the Money-counting that did it.

Of course, and there wasn't a damn thing that Nazi bastard could do about it! Hope he choked on it!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited December 2017 Posts: 45,489

HIT ME! THWACK!
    Homer. I get it.
    I guess I need to thank @Thunderfinger for bringing discussion back on topic.

Homer_Simpson_Illiad.jpg
    Homer / Ὅμηρος / ˈhō·mər / noun
    1. Author's name credited to writing Greek epic poems
    Also:
    2. An electronic tracking device for location, to literally "find one's way"
    3. In baseball, a home run
    4. A homing pigeon
    5. A simple yellow cartoon man who works as a Nuclear Safety Inspector

Ancient Greek (Ὅμηρος; hómɛːros or Hómēros). Greek (Omiros).

Homer (Ὅμηρος): the accepted name for the author of legendary epic poems of ancient Greece—specifically, The Iliad and The Odyssey. Little more is known, he’s suspected to have lived in the 8th-9th century possibly in Iona, part of modern Turkey.
    69721_homer_sm.gif

The Iliad is about both the war on Troy and a study of heroes with their contradictions. At its core is the wrath of Achilles, mentioned in the opening verses and lurking in the background as many events play out. During that time other heroes battle, up to Patroclus whose death truly inspires his wrath.
    Iliad-Book-VIII.jpg?itok=tR8OSF-k
    The Odyssey recounts the return journey of King Odysseus to Ithaca, after the battle of Troy.
    0740e1.jpg
    edited January 2018 Posts: 13,014
    Live and Let Die, Ian Fleming, 1954.
    Chapter 3 – The Visiting Card

The evidence was good enough for Bond. He was just the man for SMERSH, with just the training. A real, hard weapon of fear and death. And what a brilliant set-up for dealing with the smaller fry of the negro underworld and for keeping a coloured information network well up to the mark! - the fear of Voodoo and the supernatural, still deeply, primevally ingrained in the negro subconscious! And what genius to have, as a beginning, the whole transport system of America under surveillance, the trains, the porters, the truck-drivers, the stevedores! To have at his disposal a host of key men who would have no idea that the questions they answered had been asked by Russia. Smalltime professional men who, if they thought at all, would guess that the information on freights and schedules was being sold to rival transport concerns.

Not for the first time, Bond felt his spine crawl at the cold, brilliant efficiency of the Soviet machine, and at the fear of death and torture which made it work and of which the supreme engine was SMERSH - SMERSH, the very whisper of death.

Now, in his bedroom at the St. Regis, Bond shook away his thoughts and jumped impatiently out of bed. Well, there was one of them at hand, ready for the crushing. At Royale he had only caught a glimpse of his man. This time it would be face to face. Big Man? Then let it be a giant, a homeric slaying.

Bond walked over to the window and pulled back the curtains. His room faced north, towards Harlem. Bond gazed for a moment towards the northern horizon, where another man would be in his bedroom asleep, or perhaps awake and thinking conceivably of him, Bond, whom he had seen with Dexter on the steps of the hotel. Bond looked at the beautiful day and smiled. And no man, not even Mr. Big, would have liked the expression on his face.
    moscow-panorama-sketch-monochrome-urban-cityscape-vector-artprint-94509024.jpg
    Goldfinger, Ian Fleming, 1957.
    Chapter 7 – Thoughts on a DB III

The car was from the pool. Bond had been offered the Aston Martin or a Jaguar 3.4. He had taken the DBIII. Either of the cars would have suited his cover - a well-to-do, rather adventurous young man with a taste for the good, the fast things of life. But the DB III had the advantage of an up-to-date triptyque, an inconspicuous colour - battleship grey -and certain extras which might or might not come in handy. These included switches to alter the type and colour of Bond's front and rear lights if he was following or being followed at night, reinforced steel bumpers, fore and aft, in case he needed to ram, a long-barrelled Colt .45 in a trick compartment under the driver's seat, a radio pick-up tuned to receive an apparatus called the Homer, and plenty of concealed space that would fox most Customs men.

Chapter 9 – The Cup and the Lip.

They were past the rough and Bond was relieved to find that his ball had got a forward kick off the hill on to the fairway. The fairway curved slightly to the left and Bond had even managed to pick up a few feet on Goldfinger. It was Goldfinger to play. Goldfinger took out his spoon. He wasn't going for the green but only to get over the bunkers and through the valley.

Bond waited for the usual safe shot. He looked at his own lie. Yes, he could take his brassie. There came the wooden thud of a mis-hit. Goldfinger's ball, hit off the heel, sped along the ground and into the stony wastes of Hell Bunker -the widest bunker and the only unkempt one, because of the pebbles, on the course.

For once Homer had nodded - or rather, lifted his head. Perhaps his mind had been half on what Bond had told him. Good show! But Goldfinger might still get down in three more. Bond took out his brassie. He couldn't afford to play safe. He addressed the ball, seeing in his mind's eye its eighty-eight-millimetre trajectory through the valley and then the two or three bounces that would take it on to the green. He laid off a bit to the right to allow for his draw. Now!

There came a soft clinking away to his right. Bond stood away from his ball. Goldfinger had his back to Bond. He was gazing out to sea, rapt in its contemplation, while his right hand played 'unconsciously* with the money in his pocket.

Bond smiled grimly. He said, 'Could you stop shifting bullion till after my shot?'

Goldfinger didn't turn round or answer. The noise stopped.
    estorno.png
    You Only Live Twice, Ian Fleming, 1964.
    Chapter 11 – Anatomy Class

The Murasaki Maru was a very modern 3,000-ton ship with all the luxuries of an ocean liner. Crowds waved her goodbye as if the ship was setting off across the Atlantic instead of doing a day trip down the equivalent of a long lake. There was much throwing of paper streamers by groups bearing placards to show whom they represented - business outings, schools, clubs-part of the vast travelling population of Japan, for ever on the move, making an outing, visiting relatives or shrines, or just seeing the sights of the country. The ship throbbed grandly through the endless horned islands. Tiger said that there were fine whirlpools 'like great lavatory pans, specially designed for suicides' between some of these. Meanwhile, Tiger and Bond sat in the first class dining-room and consumed 'Hamlets' - ham omelets - and sake. Tiger was in a lecturing mood. He was determined to correct Bond's boorish ignorance of Japanese culture. 'Bondo-san, I wonder if I will ever get you to appreciate the nuances of the Japanese tanka, or of the haiku, which are the classical forms of Japanese verse. Have you ever heard of Basho, for instance?'

'No,' said Bond with polite interest. 'Who's he?'

'Just so,' said Tiger bitterly. 'And yet you would think me grossly uneducated if I had never heard of Shakespeare, Homer, Dante, Cervantes, Goethe. And yet Basho, who lived in the seventeenth century, is the equal of any of them.'

'What did he write?'

'He was an itinerant poet. He was particularly at home with the haiku, the verse of seventeen syllables.' Tiger assumed a contemplative expression. He intoned:

'In the bitter radish
    that bites into me, I feel
    the autumn wind.

'Does that not say anything to you? Or this:

'The butterfly is perfuming
    its wings, in the scent
    of the orchid.

'You do not grasp the beauty of that image?'

'Rather elusive compared to Shakespeare.'

'In the fisherman's hut
    mingled with dried shrimps
    crickets are chirping
    .'
    Tiger looked at him hopefully.

'Can't get the hang of that one,' said Bond apologetically.

'You do not catch the still-life quality of these verses? The flash of insight into humanity, into nature? Now, do me a favour, Bondo-san. Write a haiku for me yourself. I am sure you could get the hang of it. After all you must have had some education?'

Bond laughed. 'Mostly in Latin and Greek. All about Caesar and Balbus and so on. Absolutely no help in ordering a cup of coffee in Rome or Athens after I'd left school. And things like trigonometry, which I've totally forgotten. But give me a pen and a piece of paper and I'll have a bash, if you'll forgive the bad joke.' Tiger handed them over and Bond put his head in his hands. Finally, after much crossing out and rewriting he said, 'Tiger, how's this? It makes just as much sense as old Basho and it's much more pithy.' He read out:

'You only live twice:
    Once when you are born
    And once when you look death in the face
    .'

Tiger clapped his hands softly. He said with real delight, 'But that is excellent, Bondo-san. Most sincere.' He took the pen and paper and jotted some ideograms up the page. He shook his head. 'No, it won't do in Japanese. You have the wrong number of syllables. But it is a most honourable attempt.' He looked keenly at Bond. 'You were perhaps thinking of your mission?
    cornice-md.png
    The Man With the Golden Gun, Guy Hamilton, 1974.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    tmwtgg.png
    Bond: l approve.

Mary: You do?

Bond: Oh, not the wine. Your frock. Tight in all the right places. Not too many buttons.

Mary: Standard uniform for Southeast Asia. The buttons are down the back.

Bond: Designed by Q, no doubt. One of them's a suicide pill, l suppose.

Mary: No. But the bottom one has a homer in it.

Bond: How original. A toast. Per o ra e per il mo mento che verra. 'To this moment, and the moment yet to come.''
    6a398e9be4ef72b87bf84e24c5cc4e35--blue-cheese-bottle-of-wine.jpg
    edited December 2017 Posts: 7,971
    Not that it ended with the name, but the Mil Mi12, if it had gone into production, would've gotten the NATO codename "Homer'. Sadly, the project was abandoned.

300px-Aeroflot_Mil_V-12_%28Mi-12%29_Groningen_Airport.jpg

1_o_2.jpg
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Here are a few (non-comprehensive) contributions of mine for the to-do list...

Characters:

Ernst Stavro Blofeld (the real one, not the Bloberhauser impostor): his mother was Greek „Maria Stavro Michelopoulos“ (cf. TB novel) - which should probably be both "Stavros" and "Michelopoulou", if I'm not mistaken
    Alex Dimitrios - sounds Greek to me
    Melina (seems a non-fitting name for her, but then we can't have Elektras all the time, can we)

Actors:

Tchéky Karyo (GE): has a Greek mother
    Jimmy Roussounis (TWINE)
    Simon Kassianides (QOS)
    Tonia Sotiropoulou (SF)

Other:

Icarus (Ἴκαρος) (DAD)

Great, @j_w_pepper, that will move us forward nicely.

Pretty interesting with the V-12 @CommanderRoss.

Circa 1968-69. Just prototypes, but still could have worked them into a Bond film.

Aviation history is so full of amazing might-have-beens :(
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    In connection with Homer, may I add that the poem quoted by M in SF (Tennyson's Ulysses) is also about Odysseus, albeit named tor the Latinized version.

Odysseus' wife was called Penelope, though not Smallbone. His maternal ancestor was supposedly the gods' messenger, Hermes, aka Mercury.
  • Andi1996RueggAndi1996Ruegg Hello. It's me, Evelyn Tremble.
    I know it's none of my business but would I find you in an University @RichardTheBruce if I happened to do my foreign University year in the US? :D
    Agent_99 wrote: »
    Aviation history is so full of amazing might-have-beens :(

As is all history.
    Very true, @j_w_pepper, very true!

For those interested, Empire of the Clouds is a great book about how we threw it all away: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Clouds-Britains-Aircraft-Ruled/dp/0571247954
    Homer. I get it.
    I guess I need to thank @Thunderfinger for bringing discussion back on topic.

Homer_Simpson_Illiad.jpg

Sad to say I didn't get it at all, but relevancy with Thundy isn't always a certainty!
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited December 2017 Posts: 9,117
    u]The Man With the Golden Gun, Guy Hamilton, 1974[/u].
    maxresdefault.jpg
    tmwtgg.png
    Bond: l approve.

Mary: You do?

Bond: Oh, not the wine. Your frock. Tight in all the right places. Not too many buttons.

Mary: Standard uniform for Southeast Asia. The buttons are down the back.

Bond: Designed by Q, no doubt. One of them's a suicide pill, l suppose.

Mary: No. But the bottom one has a homer in it.

Bond: How original. A toast. Per o ra e per il mo mento che verra. 'To this moment, and the moment yet to come.''

Not sure how this has anything to do with Greece in the slightest? It surely refers to a homing beacon and nothing more doesn't it?
    That's true as you stated it, @TheWizardOfIce. A homing transmitter or beacon isn't necessarily connected to Greece.

I stated earlier we're following the path that evolved in the Birding Bond discussion--meaning phonetically similar/identical words sometimes with different meaning altogether are also considered. (Even by extension like the Brandt and Helga Brant association, or Irma Bunt and the Bunting--which leads back to a bunting of a different kind in the Skyfall dialog.) Then you see outright namesakes (many times with no true Bond connection) in history and pop culture are pursued.

It's all in the spirit of brainstorming, to collect all possibilities and allow the audience to come forward with more worthy examples. This overall effort is early enough in the brainstorming process that we're slow to discard possibilities, as would be done further along in research projects or a paper to be published.

So am I saying a homing beacon or transmitter has some connection with Homer's epic poem The Iliad and Odysseus' journey home after the Trojan War? Nope, I'm not proposing that. Not me.

HEATHMurder7.jpg?auto=compress,enhance,format&crop=faces,entropy,edges&fit=crop&w=366&h=550column_vectors.jpg
    I know it's none of my business but would I find you in an University @RichardTheBruce if I happened to do my foreign University year in the US? :D
    Actually I'm more a student, @Andi1996Ruegg. Born in the 60s, but my Greek studies started 25 December 2017. For you, I'm wondering if you're partial to study on the East Coast or West?

Between you and me, I actually planned to start this topic in February. Put together the basic opening in draft some time ago. Then on that fateful day a week ago I was updating it, fat-fingered the save button and hit post.

But decent timing, some good interest and responses so far. Appreciate your input.
    Icarus / Ικαρος / IK-ə-rəs / noun
    1. Greek mythological figure that perished when he flew too close to the sun.
    Also:
    In psychology, the Icarus Complex covers obsession with fire, ambition.

Greek (Ικαρος Ikaros).

Icarus (Ικαρος): son of Daedalus the builder of the Labyrinth—a maze under King Minos’ court, Crete, prowled by the Minotaur. Imprisoned together in a tower to keep the Labyrinth’s secrets. They created wings using feathers and wax to escape. Icarus did not heed the warnings for their use: avoid low flight (moisture from the sea would undo the wings), and more importantly avoid high flight (or the wax would melt). Icarus did the latter, and fell to his death. The Icarian Sea and island Icaria are so named for him.

Psychology. The Icarus Complex. Includes narcissistic obsession with fire & water, ambition, heights, ascensionism, and fantastic thoughts or plans.

Icarus flies too high.
    This+mural+is+in+the+Lourve+in+Paris,+France.jpg
    The fall of Icarus.
    Icarus-and-Dedalus.jpg