It's Grεεκ To Me

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Dr. No, Terence Young, 1962.
    1959 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Convertible.
    http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_6674-Alfa-Romeo-Giulietta-Spider-10103-1959.html
    i006674.jpg
    alfa_romeo_giulietta_spider_veloce_large_28829.jpg
    On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, Peter Hunt, 1969.
    1962 Alfa Romeo 2600 Sprint Coupé.
    imcdb.org/vehicle_553717-Alfa-Romeo-2600-Sprint-10602-1962.html
    i553717.jpg
    H0820-L81965310.jpg

1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super Sedan.
    imcdb.org/vehicle_348680-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Super-10526-1965.html
    i348680.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    The Man With the Golden Gun, Guy Hamilton, 1974.
    1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Super Sedan
    imcdb.org/vehicle_194076-Alfa-Romeo-Giulia-Super-10528-1965.html
    i194076.jpg
    Alfa_Romeo_Giulia_rear_20110416.jpg
    For Your Eyes Only, John Glen, 1981.
    1972 Alfa Romeo Alfetta 1800 1a Series Sedan.
    imcdb.org/vehicle_195177-Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-11608-1972.html
    i195177.jpg
    i292216.jpg
    Octopussy, John Glen, 1983.
    1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6 2.5.
    http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_1803-Alfa-Romeo-GTV-6-11646C-1981.html
    i001803.jpg
    alfa-romeo-gtv6-07.jpg
    edited January 2018 Posts: 12,988
    The World Is Not Enough, Michael Apted, 1999.
    1992 Alfa Romeo 155 Sedan (correction: TO THE RIGHT! TO THE RIGHT! vice far left).
    imcdb.org/vehicle_469160-Alfa-Romeo-155-167-1992.html
    i469160.jpg
    00000055.jpg
    Quantum of Solace, Marc Forster, 2008.
    1998 Alfa Romeo 156 Sedan. 00:14:56
    imcdb.org/vehicle_203039-Alfa-Romeo-156-932-1998.html
    i203039.jpg
    Alfa-Romeo159-Carabinieri-di-Roma.JPG

2008 Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Ti Sedan. 00:03:01
    imcdb.org/vehicle_174171-Alfa-Romeo-159-939-2008.html
    au009-aston-martin-dbs-qos.jpg?itok=5GdDa8CO
    i174171.jpg
    53a8d4009e129601e80bfc0e1b055f16--aston-martin-dbs-alfa-romeo.jpg
    840698e25cb71e6a110d.jpeg
    Alfa-159-Limited-Edition.jpg
    Spectre, Sam Mendes, 2015.
    2004 Alfa Romeo 166 Sedan. 00:45:48
    imcdb.org/vehicle_820776-Alfa-Romeo-166-936-2004.html
    i820776.jpg
    2683129alfa-romeo-1664-2.jpg
    alfa-romeo-166-1998.png
    Moonraker, Ian Fleming, 1955.
    Chapter XX – Drax’s Gambit

"James," whispered Gala to herself. "There's only you left. Be careful. But make haste."

Bond's face was a mask of dust and filthy with the blood of flies and moths that had smashed against it. Often he had had to take a cramped hand off the wheel to clear his goggles but the Bentley was going beautifully and he felt sure of holding the Mercedes.

He was touching ninety-five on the straight just before the entrance to Leeds Castle when great lights were suddenly switched on behind him and a four-tone windhorn sounded its impudent 'pom-pim-pom-pam' almost in his ear.

The apparition of a third car in the race was almost unbelievable. Bond had hardly troubled to look in his driving-mirror since he left London. No one but a racing-driver or a desperate man could have kept up with them, and his mind was in a turmoil as he automatically pulled over to the left and saw out of the corner of his eye a low, fire-engine-red car come up level with him and draw away with a good ten miles an hour extra on its clock.

He caught a glimpse of the famous Alfa radiator and along the edge of the bonnet in bold white script the words Attaboy II. Then there was the grinning face of a youth in shirtsleeves who stuck two rude fingers in the air before he pulled away in the welter of sound which an Alfa at speed compounds from the whine of its supercharger, the Gatling crackle of its exhaust, and the thunderous howl of its transmission.

Bond grinned in admiration as he raised a hand to the driver. Alfa -Romeo supercharged straight-eight, he thought to himself. Must be nearly as old as mine. 'Thirty-two or '33 probably. And only half my c.c. Targa Florio in 1931 and did well everywhere after that. Probably a hot-rod type from one of the RAF stations round here. Trying to get back from a party in time to sign in before he's put on the report. He watched affectionately as the Alfa wagged its tail in the S-bend abreast of Leeds Castle and then howled off on the long wide road towards the distant Charing-fork.

Bond could imagine the grin of delight as the boy came up with Drax. 'Oh, boy. It's a Merc!' And the rage of Drax at the impudent music of the windhorn. Must be doing 105, reflected Bond. Hope the damn fool doesn't run out of road. He watched the two sets of tail lights closing up, the boy in the Alfa preparing for his trick of coming up behind and suddenly switching everything on when he could see a chance to get by

There. Four hundred yards away the Mercedes showed white in the sudden twin shafts from the Alfa. There was a mile of clear road ahead, straight as a die. Bond could almost feel the boy's feet stamping the pedal still further into the floorboards. Attaboy!

Up front in the Mercedes Krebs had his mouth close to Drax's ear. "Another of them," he shouted urgently. "Can't see his face. Coming up to pass now."

Drax let out a harsh obscenity. His bared teeth showed white in the pale glimmer from the dashboard. "Teach the swine a lesson," he said, setting his shoulders and gripping the wheel tightly in the great leather gauntlets. Out of the corner of his eye he watched the nose of the Alfa creep up to starboard. 'Pom-pim-pom-pam' chirped the windhorn, softly, delicately, Drax inched the wheel of the Mercedes to the right and, at the horrible crash of metal, whipped it back again to correct the slew of his tail.

"Bravo! Bravo!" screamed Krebs, beside himself with excitement as he knelt on the seat and looked back. "Double somersault. Jumped the hedge upside down. I think he's burning already. Yes. There are flames."

"That'll give our fine Mister Bond something to think about," snarled Drax, breathing heavily.
    32e143d0acbe8866f64c4e5881892011--car-prints-cars-motorcycles.jpg
    Chapter XXIV – Zero

"But what about the atomic explosion?" asked Bond. "Radiation and atomic dust and all that. The famous mushroom-shaped cloud. Surely that's going to be a bit of a problem."

"Apparently it's not worrying them too much," said M. "The cloud is going to be passed off as the normal formation after an explosion of that size. The Ministry of Supply know the whole story. Had to be told. Their men were down on the East Coast all last night with Geiger counters and there's not been a positive report yet." M. smiled coldly. "The cloud's got to come down somewhere, of course, but by a happy chance such wind as there is is drifting it up north. Back home, as you might say."

Bond smiled painfully. "I see," he said. "How very appropriate."

"Of course," continued M., picking up his pipe and starting to fill it, "there are going to be some nasty rumours. They've begun already. A lot of people saw you and Miss Brand being brought out of the site on stretchers. Then there's the Bowaters' case against Drax for the loss of all that newsprint. There'll be the inquest on the young man who was killed in the Alfa Romeo. And somebody's got to explain away the remains of your car, amongst which," he looked accusingly at Bond, "a long-barrel Colt was found. And then there's the Ministry of Supply. Vallance had to call some of their men yesterday to help clean out that house in Ebury Street. But those people are trained to keep secrets. You won't get a leak there. Naturally it's going to be a risky business. The big lie always is. But what's the alternative? Trouble with Germany? War with Russia? Lots of people on both sides of the Atlantic would be only too glad of an excuse."

M. paused and put a match to his pipe. "If the story holds," he continued reflectively, "we shan't come out of this too badly. We've wanted one of their high-speed U-boats and we'll be glad of the clues we can pick up about their atom bombs. The Russians know that we know that their gamble failed. Malenkov's none too firmly in the saddle and this may mean another Kremlin revolt. As for the Germans. Well, we all knew there was plenty of Nazism left and this will make the Cabinet go just a bit more carefully on German rearmament. And, as a very minor consequence," he gave a wry smile, "it will make Vallance's security job, and mine for the matter of that, just a little bit easier in the future. These politicians can't see that the atomic age has created the most deadly saboteur in the history of the world--the little man with the heavy suitcase."
    575a76f32310f1553960a5c8.png285d24a696bf0785d2917b5b1ffcbec5--vintage-clip-art-vintage-images.jpg
    For Your Eyes Only, Ian Fleming, 1960.
    “Risico”

Bond had hardly been conscious of it. Kristatos returned from whatever business he had been about, their food came and they got on with the meal.

While they ate they talked about nothing — the election chances in Italy, the latest Alfa Romeo, Italian shoes compared with English. Kristatos talked well. He seemed to know the inside story of everything. He gave information so casually that it did not sound like bluff. He spoke his own kind of English with an occasional phrase borrowed from other languages. It made a lively mixture. Bond was interested and amused. Kristatos was a tough insider — a useful man. Bond was not surprised that the American Intelligence people found him good value.

Coffee came, Kristatos lit a thin black cigar and talked through it, the cigar jumping up and down between the thin straight lips. He put both hands flat on the table in front of him. He looked at the table¬cloth between them and said softly: "This pizniss. I will play with you. To now I have only played with the Americans. I have not told them what I am about to tell you. There was no requirement. This machina does not operate with America. These things are closely regulated. This machina operates only with England. Yes? Capito?"
    alfa_romeo_8c-27454.jpg
    Thrilling Cities, Ian Fleming, 1963.
    Chapter XII - Naples

Olio Sasso! Olio Sasso!! Olio Sasso!!! The monstrous autostrada
    hoardings, demonstrating, even more forcibly than the Italians' total
    lack of interest in their artistic and architectural treasures, that
    Italy is a race of Philistines, flip by with the kilometres. A tiny
    dot in the driving mirror becomes an Alfa or a Maserati. There is a
    searing screech from double wind horns, the Gatling crackle of twin
    exhausts from which the mufflers have been removed and, a few minutes
    later, nothing ahead but the white, empty ribbon of the autostrada
    vanishing into the glistening heat-mirage

The sheer harshness of motoring in Italy shocked all the more after a
    night spent in one of the few bedrooms attached to one of the three
    greatest restaurants of France, the aforesaid Père Bise at Talloires
    on Lake Annecy. There, I am ashamed to say, an injudicious combination
    of the Pere's paté de foie gras chaud en croûte followed by gratin
    de queues d'écrevisse
    s was too much for a stomach attuned for three
    weeks to the milder pabulum of Wienerschnitzel mil grünem Salat. But
    I had not allowed this disgrace to diminish the enchantment of one of
    my favourite beauty spots in Europe, and the slow meander through the
    High Savoy and over the Mont Cenis pass, opened ten days before, and
    the descent towards Italy through fields of gentians, alpine crocuses
    and white and sulphur anemones, were a beautiful transition from the
    douce north to the brazen south of Europe. Then Turin, Milan and the
    broad, silken ribbon of the Autostrada del Sole that hurtles the
    motorist down south to Florence. And there to be met by the full
    impact of international tourism combined with the appalling tumult of
    post-war Italy.
    innerbackspegel-10-krom.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Some footage of filming the Alpha male beeing followed by Alfa's. Note the Aston on it's side. That (thankfully) didn't make it into the film..

j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Bond is definitely an alpha male, though a new actor is invariably a beta version initially.

Beta / Β β / bā·də / noun
    1. second letter of the Greek alphabet
    2. second of a series
    3. test of a system
    Also:
    Games development and testing has alpha and beta stages. Beta is close to final development—many times with an open call for players to try it out and identify issues

Hebrew/Phoenician (beth).
    Greek_beta.png
    From Russia With Love, Ian Fleming, 1956.
    Part Two – The Execution; Chapter Eleven - The Soft Life

It was inevitable that Captain Troop's duties would bring him into conflict with most of the organization, but it was particularly unfortunate that M could think of no one but Troop to spare as Chairman for this particular Committee.

For this was yet one more of those Committees of Inquiry dealing with the delicate intricacies of the Burgess and Maclean case, and with the lessons that could be learned from it. M had dreamed it up, five years after he had closed his own particular file on that case, purely as a sop to the Privy Council Inquiry into the Security Services which the Prime Minister had ordered in 1955.

At once Bond had got into a hopeless wrangle with Troop over the employment of 'intellectuals' in the Secret Service.

Perversely, and knowing it would annoy, Bond had put forward the proposition that, if M.I.5 and the Secret Service were to concern themselves seriously with the atom age 'intellectual spy', they must employ a certain number of intellectuals to counter them. 'Retired officers of the Indian Army,' Bond had pronounced, `can't possibly understand the thought processes of a Burgess or a Maclean. They won't even know such people exist---let alone be in a position to frequent their cliques and get to know their friends and their secrets. Once Burgess and Maclean went to Russia, the only way to make contact with them again and, perhaps, when they got tired of Russia, turn them into double agents against the Russians, would have been to send their closest friends to Moscow and Prague and Budapest with orders to wait until one of these chaps crept out of the masonry and made contact. And one of them, probably Burgess, would have been driven to make contact by his loneliness and by his ache to tell his story to someone. [Note: *Written in March 1956. I. F.] But they certainly wouldn't take the risk of revealing themselves to someone with a trench-coat and a cavalry moustache and a beta minus mind.'
    a85f6543c7ae39e6136aa797e964c78b--silhouette-machine-silhouette-cameo.jpg
    12701049_f248.jpg
    From Russia With Love, Terence Young, 1963.
    Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens), aka the betta. Self-explanatory.
    frwlfightingfish.png
    Betta-fish-GettyImages-522586729-58cc1cf15f9b581d72fdb557.jpg
    10955287_10152833731801167_7425868541526580144_o.jpg
    Multicolored%20betta%20shutterstock_53946064.jpg
    GoldenEye, Martin Campbell, 1995.
    Robinson R22 Beta.
    http://www.impdb.org/index.php?title=GoldenEye#Robinson_R22_Beta
    Goldeneye_Mini_chopper1.jpg
    Goldeneye_Mini_chopper3.jpg
    RobinsonR22Beta.jpg
    20070428_291.JPG
    Spectre, Sam Mendes, 2015.
    Lucy Bentancourt, crowd hair supervisor: Mexico (as Lucy Betancourt).
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6247968/
    heleen.jpg
    Spectre%2Bscreencap%2B%25286%2529.jpg
    Spectre_-_Day_of_the_Dead.jpg
    1.png
    img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=32316235
    Betamax and the video revolution.
    950794619_tp.jpg950794630_tp.jpg
    17ed0d60ddba35072c8a13fd89678f5d.jpgsony_betamax_1978_arkivperu-202x288.jpg
    8176ea74d1d39ed9034802018a2f74ac--vintage-tags-vintage-stuff.jpg
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    The Advance Bi Beta:

300px-Advance_Bi_Beta_4.jpg
    I'm not a gamer.
    71K%2Bes5WncL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg
    GoldenEye 64 beta.

Goldeneye X - The N64 Beta Project. (Fan improvement on the game.)

Tomorrow Never Dies (PSX) - Beta Leftovers & (THEN) ALL Cheats + Stuff

Also of interest here: “hidden song”.
    “Tomorrow Never Dies II” {“Letter to Paris”].
    Written and performed by Tommy Tallarico. Vocals by Elaine Paiva.
    007 Agent Under Fire early beta trailer (2001)

James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing [PS2/XBOX/GC – Beta].
    https://www.unseen64.net/2010/02/20/james-bond-007-everything-or-nothing-ps2-xbox-gamecube-beta/
    Monokoma - 20-02-2010
    James Bond 007: Everything or Nothing is a 2004 third-person shooter, developed by EA Redwood Shores and EA Canada for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and the GameCube. DCodes7 noticed some beta differences in the early screens and videos released for the game:
    - Different and unused outfits worn by James bond
    - Different outfit for Jaws (beige shirt with brown pants & brown suspenders)
    - Beta enemy wearing a silver/platinum armor (not used in the final game)
    - Beta enemy wearing a grey/black hat (the hat is red in the final)
    - Various differences in the first trailer
    James Bond 007: Risico (Raven Software) [Cancelled – Xbox 360 / PS3] Beta.
    https://www.unseen64.net/tag/james-bond/
    Monokoma - 14-09-2012

As we can read on Wikipedia, James Bond 007: Risico is a cancelled game that was in development by Raven Software studios. This early replacement of Blood Stone was never officially announced, but some screenshots and videos were leaked on the internet. Risico was based on Ian Fleming’s short story “Risico” with the plotline expanded and involved with other unseen elements from James Bond novels written by Ian Fleming himself.

It’s possible that this Raven Software’s new James Bond title was cancelled because of MGM’s financial troubles, while G4 reports that the team has been told to put its Bond project on hold and instead develop map packs for Treyarch’s Call of Duty: Black Ops. Also, James Bond 007: Risico might have been intended for a release during Christmas 2010, if Bloodstone had been released (as originally planned) in 2009. Two Bond games in the same timeframe – that was even enough for Activision.
    James Bond 007 Nightfire (Alleyways Mission Part 2 Beta).

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The World Is Not Enough, Michael Apted, 1999.
    1992 Alfa Romeo 155 Sedan (far left).
    imcdb.org/vehicle_469160-Alfa-Romeo-155-167-1992.html
    i469160.jpg
    00000055.jpg
    Looks to me as if the Alfa in the TWINE scene is on the far right, not far left. The "leftmost" car pictured is Bond's Z 8.
    Correct, @j_w_pepper, THE OTHER LEFT (= right).
    Notice I was careful to match the red Alfa Romeo, but steamrolled past the misapplied location.

IMCDB makes these things almost failsafe with an onscreen callout overlaying the image.
    Almost.
    alfa-romeo-logo-150x150.pngAlfaRomeo-Mito%5E212x159%5E.jpg
    Delta / Δ, δ / ˈdel·tə / noun
    1. fourth letter of the Greek alphabet
    2. fourth in a series
    3. fourth (or fourth-brightest) star in a constellation.
    4. phonetic code for the letter D
    5. mathematic variable, function, or defined increment
    6. triangle-shaped land mass formed by sediment deposits at a river’s start; originally referred to the Delta, meaning of the Nile River, 16th Century

Middle English (deltha). Greek (delta). Semitic, Hebrew (dāleth, daleth). 800px-Delta_uc_lc.svg.png
    Moonraker, Ian Fleming, 1955.
    Chapter XII – The Moonraker

IT WAS like being inside the polished barrel of a huge gun. From the floor, forty feet below, rose circular walls of polished metal near the top of which he and Drax clung like two flies. Up through the centre of the shaft, which was about thirty feet wide, soared a pencil of glistening chromium, whose point, tapering to a needle-sharp antenna, seemed to graze the roof twenty feet above their heads.

The shimmering projectile rested on a blunt cone of latticed steel which rose from the floor between the tips of three severely back-swept delta fins that looked as sharp as surgeons' scalpels. But otherwise nothing marred the silken sheen of the fifty feet of polished chrome steel except the spidery fingers of two light gantries which stood out from the walls and clasped the waist of the rocket between thick pads of foam-rubber.

Where they touched the rocket, small access doors stood open in the steel skin and, as Bond looked down, a man crawled out of one door on to the narrow platform of the gantry and closed the door behind him with a gloved hand
    . He walked gingerly along the narrow bridge to the wall and turned a handle. There was a sharp whine of machinery and the gantry took its padded hand off the rocket and held it poised in the air like the forelegs of a praying mantis. The whine altered to a deeper tone and the gantry slowly telescoped in on itself. Then it reached out again and seized the rocket ten feet lower down. Its operator crawled out along its arm and opened another small access door and disappeared inside.

"Probably checking the fuel-feed from the after tanks," said Drax. "Gravity feed. Tricky bit of design. What do you think of her?" He looked with pleasure at Bond's rapt expression.
    xrocket_physics_24.png.pagespeed.ic.gIbi-NIL4q.png
    Zuege.jpg