Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

DRACULA (1931)

This is a good one, such iconic scenery. Easy to see why Lugosi is still the one people think of when they hear that name, along with Lee.

|Excellent movie, just purchased the Universal monster-box to obtain this one on Bluray.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Roman J. Israel, Esq. (2017)
    Zk8adaB.jpg

I didn’t know much about this film going in except that Denzel was in it. That was enough to ensure I purchased a ticket, because he rarely disappoints. Having just come back, I can confirm that Washington gives a great performance as the disheveled activist lawyer and man of principle who seems like he’s stuck in the 70’s, both aesthetically and attitudinally. His idealism and sense of fair play makes Israel a compelling and sympathetic character – one who inspires those who he comes into contact with, even as unfortunate circumstances force him to lose some of his high morals.

Director Dan Gilroy (who made the superb Nightcrawler) gets great performances from the rest of his cast too, and most notably from Colin Farrell (who I normally am wary of), and he should be commended for that. However, he doesn’t do so well with the pacing or narrative (which he wrote). The film meanders and wanders a bit mid stream and loses focus. Why? Well, I felt that there were just a few too many ideas at work here that didn’t really come to much – almost like there’s a great film waiting to bust out, but which doesn’t. It’s a shame because there’s still a lot to like here, but ultimately this is all about the great Denzel doing what he does best. So in summary, it’s a neat little character driven film the likes of which Hollywood regrettably doesn’t release on the big screen often any more, except at Christmas.
    DRACULA (1931)

This is a good one, such iconic scenery. Easy to see why Lugosi is still the one people think of when they hear that name, along with Lee.

It's one of my favorites, and I never tire of it. The Blu-ray is wonderful. Great to see all the detail in Dracula's Castle.
    There is a mood throughout the film, kind of a haunting quality. I love Bela, one of my heroes, really.
    A few years back, the cape he wears during the London scenes was put up for auction. Bela's son had kept it in the family all those years. I don't believe it sold.
    The cape was a bit worn out and the lining was starting to fray. The lining is a muted silver/gray color, and the cape has long wool straps that would be fastened under Bela's arms. I find the details of the costumes and make up in the Universal Horror classics fascinating, especially since they became so iconic.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    The Day of the Jackal (1973) dir. Fred Zinnemann. Recent Arrow Video blu-ray release. A cracking film (seen it before) based on a brilliant debut novel by Frederick Forsyth. A very tense cat-and-mouse thriller that had a piss-poor remake with Bruce Willis. If you've not seen the original, then seek it out and watch, if you've not read the book, likewise seek it out, you won't be wasting your time with either. Highly recommended. Great cast too.

Another film I've yet to have seen. Out of 10, how would you rank The Day of the Jackal?

Have to give it at least 9. Such a well-structured, -written film. A must see!
    +1. Highly recommended and very well put together film. It unfolds almost like a procedural 'documentary'. I first saw it as a kid, loved it and sought out the book to read as a result. For years I actually believed parts of it were true, given how well it was made. Edward Fox & Michael Lonsdale are superb.

A bit of trivia: Roger Moore was considered for the part of the jackal & was the preferred choice of producer John Woolf, but unfortunately director Fred Zinnemann felt he was too famous for the role. Moore vs. Lonsdale finally occurred on screen off course as we all know, 6 years later in MR.

Can't really see Roger Moore in the role, and honestly who could better Edward Fox? And it really is role that benefits from not having a 'name' actor.
    I'm actually the opposite. Ever since I first saw the film I've envisaged Moore (circa early 70's The Man Who Haunted Himself) as the Jackal. I agree that he was probably too famous. Interestingly, Zinnemann has since lamented his decision, and suggested that a more famous actor would have probably made the film a bigger hit. Apparently it didn't do well in foreign markets.

Interesting! These comments made me put The Day of the Jackal further up on the 'to watch' list. A good film for christmas, maybe!

Moore would have been a better choice than Robert Redford, who apparently was after the role (The Man Who Haunted Himself is a great movie), but would it have clashed with his becoming Bond? Both films were released within a month of each other!
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,812
    9c3c3509c933e24eb010e61a14affdb712cd3dc6.jpg

This isn't the best movie ever but it was a decent watch. The trailer for it is misleading however. It looks like a supernatural horror but it's more like a drama with bits of the supernatural. It's nothing I recommend but I wouldn't tell anyone not to watch it. I would just warn them it's an hour and forty-five minute long movie that feels two and a half hours long. Thomas Jane's performance is great and he is half the reason the movie is as entertaining as it is.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Day off, and I just got back from Justice League. Thoughts:
    This movie was not as good as Wonder Woman. That said, I liked it a LOT. While I tried hard not be conscious of it, Joss Whedon's contributions were pretty easy to spot, and as it turns out, most welcome by yours truly. I can assemble a pure Zack Snyder version of this movie in my mind based on what I've read about it and what I just saw, and I have to say it would have been a LONG and semi-boring chore to sit through. I can tell a LOT of backstory was removed, and I know a character was taken out entirely, but I have no idea who it was so I didn't miss him or her. Jason Momoa and Ezra Miller got some pretty honestly funny moments here, and I liked them both immensely. As others have noted, the bad guy was a little weak- but the story is really the League itself for me. The score by Elfman was nice and most of the action was good, though some pure CGI moments took me to videogame-ville here and there. And
    Cavill's Superman was finally the Superman I wanted to see!
    3.5 of 5 *'s.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm truly glad you had a good time, @chrisisall!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 17,691
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm truly glad you had a good time, @chrisisall!

My one regret is that I probably won't be able to find the time to see it in the theatre once more before it leaves... but I'll be buying the Blu Ray THE DAY it comes out!
    HIS GIRL FRIDAY

Cary-Grant-and-Rosalind-R-001.jpg

There's something about modern day comedies I usually fail to grasp. Half the jokes are in the trailer, the other half aren't funny. And sometimes the crew who put the trailer together "fixed" the jokes because most of the time they're not quite as funny in the actual film. Furthermore, replay value? Small, if any at all.

And then there are timeless comedies, that remain excellent. THE PARTY is one such example. HIS GIRL FRIDAY another. Yeah it's a screwball comedy. In black and white. Still with me? Okay, good. Because Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell are on fire in this one! This isn't about sex jokes, weed, bitching teens who can only cay "what - everrrr"... This is about actual acting, about comedic timing, about the artists on screen delivering the goods, not just the editor and the sound mixer making the best of what your average Disney Channel refugee thinks she can do but really can't. The fun is on the screen in HIS GIRL FRIDAY, grabbing the spotlights almost effortlessly. Films like this one make comedy a genuine art form.

Possibly my favourite Howard Hawks film.

5/5
    HIS GIRL FRIDAY

There's something about modern day comedies I usually fail to grasp. Half the jokes are in the trailer, the other half aren't funny. And sometimes the crew who put the trailer together "fixed" the jokes because most of the time they're not quite as funny in the actual film. Furthermore, replay value? Small, if any at all.

And then there are timeless comedies, that remain excellent. THE PARTY is one such example. HIS GIRL FRIDAY another. Yeah it's a screwball comedy. In black and white. Still with me? Okay, good. Because Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell are on fire in this one! This isn't about sex jokes, weed, bitching teens who can only cay "what - everrrr"... This is about actual acting, about comedic timing, about the artists on screen delivering the goods, not just the editor and the sound mixer making the best of what your average Disney Channel refugee thinks she can do but really can't. The fun is on the screen in HIS GIRL FRIDAY, grabbing the spotlights almost effortlessly. Films like this one make comedy a genuine art form.

5/5

That's a really good one! A classic I was happy to add to my library.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 17,691
    You cannot go wrong with Cary Grant & Rosalind Russel.
    HIS GIRL FRIDAY

5/5

Great one
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 684
    HIS GIRL FRIDAY

5/5
    Great film. My favorite Hawks is probably RIO BRAVO, but this would be in the battle for the second slot.

Has anyone seen either of the two other notable adaptations of The Front Page? Caught part of the 1931 Lewis Milestone film a few months back, but it definitely lacked the spark of Hawks's version. And I love Billy Wilder, so I look forward to someday getting around to his 1974 adaptation.
    ZODIAC

newroomlookslikeallthepresidentsmenisweartogod_zodiac.jpg

Fincher made an excellent movie with this real-life murder case, his own "JFK" so to speak. Ruffalo, Gyllenhaal and Downey give tremendous performances in an overall very well made film. Holds up strongly, even after 10 years.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @DarthDimi was is it about 1970's set true-story thrillers that makes them so great? Zodiac, Munich, Argo, Rush, Frost/Nixon, American Gangster, Donnie Brasco...
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,293
    Need to rewatch Zodiac again soon. Such a well-made film. Pick out any frame from Zodiac, and it looks great.
    @DarthDimi was is it about 1970's set true-story thrillers that makes them so great? Zodiac, Munich, Argo, Rush, Frost/Nixon, American Gangster, Donnie Brasco...

Haven't seen all of these, but for the ones I have, style is a factor. There's something about the 1970's cars, offices with heavy wooden panels (you name it!), and thrillers that's just a good combination.
    The power of a film like Zodiac is that it does an excellent job looking taking us through the 60s, 70s and early 80s. There's eye for detail in this film.
    The power of a film like Zodiac is that it does an excellent job looking taking us through the 60s, 70s and early 80s. There's eye for detail in this film.

Agree. There's a few scenes I remember just for that reason.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator

I AM NOT PAUL AVERY.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 15,818
    AN AMERICAN CHRISTMAS CAROL (1979)

Fonzie as Scrooge! YES!
    One of my favorite versions of this Dickens classic is kind of an acquired taste, really. Henry Winkler (in make-up by Rick Baker) plays the Scrooge character now named Benedict Slade, and it's set during the Great Depression in New England.
    Nice bit part with Cec Linder. This one aired when I was a kid but later didn't play so often. I'd put it in my top 5 alongside Albert Finney, Reginald Owen, George C Scott and Alistair Sim.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Need to rewatch Zodiac again soon. Such a well-made film. Pick out any frame from Zodiac, and it looks great.

Haven't seen all of these, but for the ones I have, style is a factor. There's something about the 1970's cars, offices with heavy wooden panels (you name it!), and thrillers that's just a good combination.

X-MEN:DOFP and THE NICE GUYS gave us some delicious 70s vibes.
    THE REVENANT

the_revenant_SD2_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

One of last year's best movies, Iñárritu's THE REVENANT kept me glued to my seat in theatres twice and repeated that trick now that I've first seen it on home video. Every performance is Oscar material, every frame an artistic delight. The film breathes, but it also allows us to feel Leo's pain, suffering and near death experiences. An unusual achievement, this film, and one that doesn't nearly get enough praise in my estimation.
  • Goodnight Mommy
    An outstanding exercise in horror, and an uncompromising exploration of very twisted family dynamics.
    THE REVENANT

the_revenant_SD2_758_426_81_s_c1.jpg

One of last year's best movies, Iñárritu's THE REVENANT kept me glued to my seat in theatres twice and repeated that trick now that I've first seen it on home video. Every performance is Oscar material, every frame an artistic delight. The film breathes, but it also allows us to feel Leo's pain, suffering and near death experiences. An unusual achievement, this film, and one that doesn't nearly get enough praise in my estimation.

I have only seen this and Birdman so far, but that is enough to want me to see more from Inarritu.
    DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968)

Had been looking forward to seeing a Lee Dracula film, but this was rubbish. How does it compare to the other Lee films?
    More thoughts on
    Justice-League-Poster-UK.jpg

The movie moved along at a great pace... it was like a slightly slower version of QOS that way. Exposition & backstory was obviously missing, but I didn't miss it. Some have called it a mess or a 'Frankenstein' movie assembled of parts. By gum, GIVE me messy Frankensteins then! A bit of fun is all I ask! And it's what I got from JL!
    IMO Joss took the basic film Zack was prepared to give us and used the best of it (which was actually the preponderance of it), streamlined it, and added little touches to endear the characters to us... as well as
    re-shooting most of the Superman footage to let Henry give us his most charming and positive Superman yet- hopefully the one he will be allowed to give us going forward.
    Because that made all the difference in this movie IMHO!

The best parts of JL were the opening scene with Batman and some of the scenes with a dead guy who isn t in the movie.
    DRACULA HAS RISEN FROM THE GRAVE (1968)

Had been looking forward to seeing a Lee Dracula film, but this was rubbish. How does it compare to the other Lee films?

You might like the first one DRACULA (1958) a.k.a. HORROR OF DRACULA more. It's a classic and very loose retelling of the Stoker novel. Cushing is great as Van Helsing.
    PRINCE OF DARKNESS is fun as well, though Lee has no lines. Similar atmosphere to the first film. The hero, Francis Matthews, has a voice that's a dead ringer for Cary Grant.

I'm a big fan of HAS RISEN, myself as a fun entry.
    TASTE THE BLOOD, which follows you may find more interesting. Great performance by Geoffrey Keen and a beautiful James Bernard score. Lee has far less screen time, though as the part was literally written in as an afterthought.
    SCARS OF DRACULA, is an acquired taste. I love it personally with it's simple plot and extra gore. Lee has far more screen time and dialogue, yet the production isn't as lavish, and Lee's make up is a bit lacking.
    A.D. 1972 re-boots the series and brings the Count into the 1970's. Peter Cushing returns as Van Helsing. With Bond alumni Christopher Neame, Caroline Munro, Michael Kitchen. If you don't like HAS RISEN, you may find this one way over the top with it's funk soundtrack and dialogue.
    The final, SATANIC RITES has a spy thriller feel to it and is the least Dracula movie like in the series. However, I still think it's pretty cool, but you can tell why Lee left after this one. I personally think he looks his best in the two '70's period films, especially AD 72.
    Thanks, I am going to try out a couple more.
    In my experience, Hammer films are an acquired taste. At first I struggled with them, a lot in fact. Couldn't understand what made them so beloved let alone "scary". But they grew on me, mostly thanks to the power of Peter Cushing. They've never scared me, but I have come to love them. It wasn't love at first sight though.