Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,530
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Batman vs Two Face. More silly retro. Fun, and nostalgic... sad that it's Adam's last contribution... and Shatner delivers a very 'clean' Dent. Not a Kirk-like performance at all.

Shatner did show good restraint with Dent, Bill brought depth to Dent and helped clearly define the two personalitys of Two Face, I really enjoyed West's Swan song.
    Match Point (2005). Good film.
  • Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

One of my favorite comedies ever made, John Candy and Steve Martin are both great and get to work with a well written script that was also directed by John Hughes.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    "Those aren't Pillows!"
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I like those two Holmes movies as well and it's time for a rewatch soon.

Last night: Finally watched Con-Air for the first time. All in all, a pretty decent popcorn-and-bubble gum action flick once you come to ignore the inconsistencies and plot holes. Also, my love for Nicolas Cage's acting proficiency didn't really increase. But quite ok for passing the time.

The night before, it was The Great Train Robbery for me - the 2013 miniseries about the 1963 caper. Pretty good 1960s atmosphere, although even I could spot some anachronisms without being English. Solid TV work, though - I'm a sucker for historical subjects anyway.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    edited November 2017 Posts: 45,489
    DEADPOOL (2016)
    20161025_n_nerdistnews_deadpool2director_1x1.jpg

The trailers really put me off from watching this last year, but I am glad i got to see it now. I actually had a good time with this one, and looking forward to the sequel.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    CrzChris4 wrote: »
    Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.

One of my favorite comedies ever made, John Candy and Steve Martin are both great and get to work with a well written script that was also directed by John Hughes.

Couldn't agree. More.

PTaA is my favourite is my favourite comedy ever. And Halloween is my favourite horror film ever. Both Short and Sweet.

Films are much too long nowadays, which says something about our self-obsessed culture, I feel.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2017 Posts: 40,545
    Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

A so-so installment from Besson, who I had expected more from given the fact that he handled himself extremely well with the sci-fi genre with The Fifth Element. It had some truly jaw-dropping visuals throughout (and other times with laughably mediocre CGI), but honestly past that, it didn't have much going for it, I'm afraid.

A weak script and dialogue, and I can't help but feel that this movie would've been much better off with an older leading duo that had better chemistry; didn't feel any sort of attraction or connection between the two leads, and quite frankly, I'm not sure how Delevigne keeps getting these high-profile gigs...or why people still think it's a good idea to cast Rihanna in any movie for any reason at all.

EDIT: Another issue I had is an issue I've had with a lot of shows and movies today, and that's acting as if the audience is a group of 10-month old babies who have no comprehension of anything. The movie clearly spells out throughout the events just what happened to Mul, but then we go through a few-minute exposition sequence telling us what we already knew, beat-by-beat? Why not just post the whole synopsis as the credits instead?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @Creasy47, I recently saw an ad for Valerian and I was more wondering how DeHaan got the lead. He doesn't seem like leading man material to me. Not a big fan of Delevigne either, but she at least seems like she's having fun from the trailers. I agree that this film probably would have played better with a more charismatic duo.

I'm planning to pick it up soon. I have low expectations so we'll see how it goes.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @Creasy47, I recently saw an ad for Valerian and I was more wondering how DeHaan got the lead. He doesn't seem like leading man material to me. Not a big fan of Delevigne either, but she at least seems like she's having fun from the trailers. I agree that this film probably would have played better with a more charismatic duo.

I'm planning to pick it up soon. I have low expectations so we'll see how it goes.

The comic which the film is based upon– Valérian and Laureline, is considered a good one. Haven't read it myself, unfortunately.

He's hit or miss for me, but he wasn't selling the tough guy role for me whatsoever in this. Same with Delevigne, played the 'tough chick' role in an incredibly exaggerated way. Gave me a bit of cringe from time to time, though I'm not sure if that has more to do with the script or with the acting. Probably both.

I had low expectations, as well; it does sound like I absolutely loathed the film from how many negatives I had to share, but it was alright. Nothing special, nothing I'll rewatch, but not a total waste of two plus hours, either.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Creasy47 wrote: »

He's hit or miss for me, but he wasn't selling the tough guy role for me whatsoever in this. Same with Delevigne, played the 'tough chick' role in an incredibly exaggerated way. Gave me a bit of cringe from time to time, though I'm not sure if that has more to do with the script or with the acting. Probably both.

I had low expectations, as well; it does sound like I absolutely loathed the film from how many negatives I had to share, but it was alright. Nothing special, nothing I'll rewatch, but not a total waste of two plus hours, either.
    I don't expect it to be all that great given it didn't do all that well (although its foreign gross is alright).

Some of the planets and creatures look quite interesting and I heard Besson had been eyeing this for some time so I want to see what he came up with.
    The comic which the film is based upon– Valérian and Laureline, is considered a good one. Haven't read it myself, unfortunately.
    Yes, I had read that the comic is very popular (and perhaps influenced several other projects including the original Star Wars) and that's the main reason I'll give it a look soon.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,335
    Yes, I had read that the comic is very popular (and perhaps influenced several other projects including the original Star Wars) and that's the main reason I'll give it a look soon.

Been meaning to do that as well. I've seen some selected pages and panels here and there, and the artwork looks brilliant.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The Day of the Jackal (1973) dir. Fred Zinnemann. Recent Arrow Video blu-ray release. A cracking film (seen it before) based on a brilliant debut novel by Frederick Forsyth. A very tense cat-and-mouse thriller that had a piss-poor remake with Bruce Willis. If you've not seen the original, then seek it out and watch, if you've not read the book, likewise seek it out, you won't be wasting your time with either. Highly recommended. Great cast too.
    The Day of the Jackal (1973) dir. Fred Zinnemann. Recent Arrow Video blu-ray release. A cracking film (seen it before) based on a brilliant debut novel by Frederick Forsyth. A very tense cat-and-mouse thriller that had a piss-poor remake with Bruce Willis. If you've not seen the original, then seek it out and watch, if you've not read the book, likewise seek it out, you won't be wasting your time with either. Highly recommended. Great cast too.

Another film I've yet to have seen. Out of 10, how would you rank The Day of the Jackal?
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Dredd

It'd been too long. Brilliant little action film. The "I am the law" speech has to be one of the most badass moments in film history, Karl Urban just nails it. My favourite bit though is the ending. "Drug bust". This is just a normal day for him. I've heard Netflix are doing something with it now? They need to get Urban back.
    DEADPOOL (2016)

The trailers really put me off from watching this last year, but I am glad i got to see it now. I actually had a good time with this one, and looking forward to the sequel.

I put it on one night on Sky Movies on a whim and I'm glad I did. I really liked it. I thought it was really funny and I thought the love story was actually really sweet and well done, I actually bought into their relationship which I think is rare in a blockbuster/action movie. Think the second one might be a cinema trip for me.
    Dredd

It'd been too long. Brilliant little action film. The "I am the law" speech has to be one of the most badass moments in film history, Karl Urban just nails it. My favourite bit though is the ending. "Drug bust". This is just a normal day for him. I've heard Netflix are doing something with it now? They need to get Urban back.

"It's been too long" is the exact same reason I had to fire this one up again months back, on top of discussing it here and there on the forums. Just as good as the first viewing, and I'll always clamor for another one of these (sequel, Netflix/HBO series, anything is good enough for me as long as Urban returns).
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Dredd

"It's been too long" is the exact same reason I had to fire this one up again months back, on top of discussing it here and there on the forums. Just as good as the first viewing, and I'll always clamor for another one of these (sequel, Netflix/HBO series, anything is good enough for me as long as Urban returns).

Yeah I'm really glad it finally seems to be getting of the ground with this Netflix thing, I think the marketing cheated us out of getting a sequel sooner. Fury Road showed that there's a real market for old school R rated 80s style action movies. Maybe they could have tapped into that years earlier with Dredd if they didn't push the 3D so much.
    I just hope they capitalize on it (if plans for a sequel/series are still in motion) sooner rather than later. The fanbase and demand is there, so get to work on this one while the fans clamor for it, as opposed to waiting until it's too late.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

Watch A cure for wellness, he carries that film quite well.

Watch A cure for wellness, he carries that film quite well.

I failed to mention the same thing earlier, but he failed to impress in Valerian. I think the biggest weakness was chemistry and the script.

Great film! In my top 100 for sure.
    Dredd

DEADPOOL (2016)

I put it on one night on Sky Movies on a whim and I'm glad I did. I really liked it. I thought it was really funny and I thought the love story was actually really sweet and well done, I actually bought into their relationship which I think is rare in a blockbuster/action movie. Think the second one might be a cinema trip for me.

Same here. It s a shame that was hidden away in the trailers, and another thing: Nothing in the trailers made me even smile, but then it turns out the movie is full of hilarious scenes and dialogue. Talk about dumb marketing. I know it was a success, but still.

Another film I've yet to have seen. Out of 10, how would you rank The Day of the Jackal?

Have to give it at least 9. Such a well-structured, -written film. A must see!

+1. Highly recommended and very well put together film. It unfolds almost like a procedural 'documentary'. I first saw it as a kid, loved it and sought out the book to read as a result. For years I actually believed parts of it were true, given how well it was made. Edward Fox & Michael Lonsdale are superb.

A bit of trivia: Roger Moore was considered for the part of the jackal & was the preferred choice of producer John Woolf, but unfortunately director Fred Zinnemann felt he was too famous for the role. Moore vs. Lonsdale finally occurred on screen off course as we all know, 6 years later in MR.

+1. Highly recommended and very well put together film. It unfolds almost like a procedural 'documentary'. I first saw it as a kid, loved it and sought out the book to read as a result. For years I actually believed parts of it were true, given how well it was made. Edward Fox & Michael Lonsdale are superb.

A bit of trivia: Roger Moore was considered for the part of the jackal & was the preferred choice of producer John Woolf, but unfortunately director Fred Zinnemann felt he was too famous for the role. Moore vs. Lonsdale finally occurred on screen off course as we all know, 6 years later in MR.

Can't really see Roger Moore in the role, and honestly who could better Edward Fox? And it really is role that benefits from not having a 'name' actor.

Can't really see Roger Moore in the role, and honestly who could better Edward Fox? And it really is role that benefits from not having a 'name' actor.
    I'm actually the opposite. Ever since I first saw the film I've envisaged Moore (circa early 70's The Man Who Haunted Himself) as the Jackal. I agree that he was probably too famous. Interestingly, Zinnemann has since lamented his decision, and suggested that a more famous actor would have probably made the film a bigger hit. Apparently it didn't do well in foreign markets.
    This is the real "Jackal".
    _95362223_hi038726701.jpg

I'm actually the opposite. Ever since I first saw the film I've envisaged Moore (circa early 70's The Man Who Haunted Himself) as the Jackal. I agree that he was probably too famous. Interestingly, Zinnemann has since lamented his decision, and suggested that a more famous actor would have probably made the film a bigger hit. Apparently it didn't do well in foreign markets.

Interesting! These comments made me put The Day of the Jackal further up on the 'to watch' list. A good film for christmas, maybe!
    DRACULA (1931)

This is a good one, such iconic scenery. Easy to see why Lugosi is still the one people think of when they hear that name, along with Lee.