Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Can't say anything about his persona, but Hiddleston just isn't Bond material. Yes, he's a dcent actor, but he just doesn't have the looks for Bond, he doesn't have the presence he needs.

His languages are nice, but his accent is strong and knowing just a few words (Italian, Russian and Mandarin) doesn't count.
    bondjames wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    PS. Are you on this site 24/7 @bondjames, or do you have an MI6 Forum chip inserted into your brain, granting you quick easy access to any posted responses?
    I'm logged in most of the time @bondsum (I don't have restrictions at work), and most specifically to correct the record when you take shots at Hiddleston, as you are wont to do.
    I was just joshing with you and about the 24/7 comments.

Sorry, I can't help myself taking potshots at Hiddles, I'm afraid. I don't mind him in the right movie (TV show), but he's just not the type of actor that I can instantly warm to. Brian Cox, Ben Stiller, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Zac Efron, Anne Hathaway and Daisy Ridley also have a similar affect on me. They leave me cold.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    PS. Are you on this site 24/7 @bondjames, or do you have an MI6 Forum chip inserted into your brain, granting you quick easy access to any posted responses?
    I'm logged in most of the time @bondsum (I don't have restrictions at work), and most specifically to correct the record when you take shots at Hiddleston, as you are wont to do.

Sorry, I can't help myself taking potshots at Hiddles, I'm afraid. I don't mind him in the right movie (TV show), but he's just not the type of actor that I can instantly warm to. Brian Cox, Ben Stiller, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Zac Efron, Anne Hathaway and Daisy Ridley also have a similar affect on me. They leave me cold.
    I knew you were having fun with me & I likewise was doing the same. I can understand your perspective on Hiddleston. He's certainly not for everyone.

It's just that after a decade and a half (almost) of dour & somewhat brutish (imho) Craig I would prefer a little bit of smooth elegant snobbish light charm back in Bond, & feel that he can bring that.

I'm not a full fledged 'Hiddlestoner' yet but continue to be impressed by his work in a variety of roles. I agree that he needs to toughen up a bit though.
  • Aiden turner is the shoe-in next bond, he's hands down the perfect age and looks for starters and he was suave enough in the hobbit!
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited November 2017 Posts: 7,980
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Aiden turner is the shoe-in next bond, he's hands down the perfect age and looks for starters and he was suave enough in the hobbit!

For now talk of a new Bond has died down a bit but I agree that he is a strong prospect who's chances will only be helped with a bit of maturity. I know there are younger actors but Bond needs a certain worldliness that only comes with age. I also think they will go back to a dark haired Bond; to me he has a Dalton look about him.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I'm seeing Skull Island as well as High Rise. Enough people's reviews here assured me of liking the film. If Skull is mindless no-brainer, I'm totally with it.

You shouldn’t be watching skull island dissecting it as a great piece of cinema but rather a fun thrill ride. Because that’s what it is.
    I've no problem with it. Almost every film I like is simply a fun thrill ride. ;)

All this talk of kong made me inclined to rewatch it yesterday and you know what, it’s pretty bloody great. Its so much fun. I enjoyed it even more this time than in theatres.

I knew you were having fun with me & I likewise was doing the same. I can understand your perspective on Hiddleston. He's certainly not for everyone.

It's just that after a decade and a half (almost) of dour & somewhat brutish (imho) Craig I would prefer a little bit of smooth elegant snobbish light charm back in Bond, & feel that he can bring that.

I'm not a full fledged 'Hiddlestoner' yet but continue to be impressed by his work in a variety of roles. I agree that he needs to toughen up a bit though.
    That at least explains to me why you support Hiddles for the role. I do know what you mean about the Craig Bonds lacking a certain suaveness, which IMHO was better served in CR than any of his other 007 outings. The train sequence with Vesper springs to mind. Shooting his cuffs in SF, dressing in Tom Ford suits and sitting in an Aston doesn't count. I'm sure that will elicit howls of protests and examples put forward by other forum members here, but I believe that you're right. Which for me, is a good enough reason why Craig hasn't managed to usurp Connery from his throne. Connery always gave the right balance of suave and thuggery in his performances, obviously helped by a much better script. As you've probably already gathered, I've never been a huge Roger Moore Bond fan. Love the guy, he was a great Saint, serviceable in LALD and TMWTGG, but I just did't care for the goofy Bonds that followed, which I know he's fondly remembered for. Each to their own, of course.

Personally, I don't feel the need to stray away from Bond being the cold-bloodied killer that Craig has brought back to the series and head toward the camp territory again. That's one of many great things I love about Craig being in the role. Though I know that you're not suggesting a return to the camp approach, I do feel that Hiddles might not be able to help himself, and like Brosnan, find himself gravitating towards that particular style of performance. Of course, until we see either Hiddles or Turner in a couple or more so Bond movies, we're not going to have our answer to that particular question.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    talos7 wrote: »
    Rasputin wrote: »
    Aiden turner is the shoe-in next bond, he's hands down the perfect age and looks for starters and he was suave enough in the hobbit!

For now talk of a new Bond has died down a bit but I agree that he is a strong prospect who's chances will only be helped with a bit of maturity. I know there are younger actors but Bond needs a certain worldliness that only comes with age. I also think they will go back to a dark haired Bond; to me he has a Dalton look about him.

Yes, the Dalton look is certainly there, but Aidan also has the charisma of a Brosnan or Moore. He's perfect for Bond, given where the franchise should go post-craig.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Aidan's a TV actor which limited presence. He'll never be Bond hopefully. With a beard he also looks a tad Arab as well and very unbondian.
    Cate Blanchett.
    Dennison wrote: »
    Cate Blanchett.

On par with Aiden.
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Cate Blanchett.

On par with Aiden.

She'd be a good Irma Bunt.
    Cate Blanchett.

On par with Aiden.

Agreed.

So would Aiden.
    Cate Blanchett.

On par with Aiden.

Agreed.

So would Aiden.

No he wouldn't.
    Turner would be good playing a brother of Nic-Nac,as he loves playing small people.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 7,980
    Aidan's a TV actor which limited presence. He'll never be Bond hopefully. With a beard he also looks a tad Arab as well and very unbondian.
    Moore and Brosnan were “TV actors”, Lazenby was a model and I’m sure he would shave fore the role.
    Looks Arab? Great observation; come to think of it , a PTS where he is undercover, bearded, in a middle eastern country that concludes with him coming out of a bathroom in a posh hotel, clean shaven, to an awaiting beauty with two glasses of champagne, would be a great introduction.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Moore and Brosnan were “TV actors”, Lazenby was a model and I’m sure he would shave fore the role.
    Looks Arab? Great observation; come to think of it , a PTS where he is undercover, bearded, in a middle eastern country that concludes with him coming out of a bathroom in a posh hotel, clean shaven, to an awaiting beauty with two glasses of champagne, would be a great introduction.
    They sort of did that with the new The Saint TV movie and I sort of didn’t like it. I’d rather Bond doesn’t blend with the middle eastern part of the global fight. Keep his trips centered around sophisticated circles.

But Moore and Brosnan have movie star screen presence and charisma. Aiden doesn't.

Thanks. I thought it was a good observation too. Arab looking rules him out as well.

But Moore and Brosnan have movie star screen presence and charisma. Aiden doesn't.

Thanks. I thought it was a good observation too. Arab looking rules him out as well.

Then does looking like Just William rule out Hiddleston?
    I’m sort of in the grey segment when it comes to Turner. I don’t think he looks the part, but I also don’t think he wouldn’t succeed in the role. Craig didn’t look the part at all, but look a look at him, now. With the right people showing him the ropes, Turner could be a good Bond.

A year ago, I was dead against Hiddleston, but now I seem to have seen myself to be a convert. I could imagine him as Bond very easily. You never know.

Interesting opinions, not to be mistaken for facts. ;)

I’m sort of in the grey segment when it comes to Turner. I don’t think he looks the part, but I also don’t think he wouldn’t succeed in the role. Craig didn’t look the part at all, but look a look at him, now. With the right people showing him the ropes, Turner could be a good Bond.

Yes, indeed. When you think about it, each Bond actor excelled in their own area, and tried to skirt around their respective shortcomings. Aidan would be perfect for where Bond should be taken next.

Yes, indeed. When you think about it, each Bond actor excelled in their own area, and tried to skirt around their respective shortcomings. Aidan would be perfect for where Bond should be taken next.
    I'll be open to it. If I was impressed with one thing (or two things) in the most recent adaptation of And Then There Were None, it was Aidan Turner mainly, and Toby Stephens secondly. So, yes. I'm open to Turner.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I'm still rooting for Tom Ellis
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

That didn't stop Brosnan.

Admittedly I have only seen Turner in And Then There Were None, but off the back of that mini series, I thought that Turner has the right qualities for Bond.

Then does looking like Just William rule out Hiddleston?

Not really. At least Just William looks English.
    They sort of did that with the new The Saint TV movie and I sort of didn’t like it. I’d rather Bond doesn’t blend with the middle eastern part of the global fight. Keep his trips centered around sophisticated circles.

+1. Not to mention that this version of the Saint was axed!

+1. Not to mention that this version of the Saint was axed!
    Yep! All I can tell them is that I give them A for effort only. The material was handled very awfully, they modernized Simon Templar like hell, making him akin to generic American TV heroes of the 21st century. A Michael Westen wannabe if you will. No thanks. Give me a Moore type Templar who speaks like he’s from the Colonial era Britain with a Queen’s English accent, and has an edge to him as well as ruggedness.

Also, leave the acrobatic athleticism to Patricia Holm, make Templar a traditional combatant.
    What about this guy? He'd do a cracking job if given the chance... again!

source.gif
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 3,333

If anything, Roger Moore lacked big screen movie star presence, hence why he gravitated towards the small screen after a failed attempt at making it big in Hollywood. His performance opposite Lana Turner in the 1956 movie “Diane” was likened by Time magazine to “a lump of English roast beef.” Let's also not forget, it wasn't until Moore was into his forties that he gained big screen notoriety, and yet it was only because of his Bond casting in the first place, did that ever happen. Otherwise, I honestly don't think Sir Roger would've successfully broken into movies, despite him having been a popular TV star. Brosnan was pretty much in the same boat. His Bond casting was what turned Brosnan from a B-list movie actor, who was mostly consigned to dreadful TV roles, into a bonafide movie star. In both cases, their movie careers were floundering, and stuck in first gear, and it took Bond to launch them properly. The same thing could equally be said of Turner, if he was get the gig.