Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

"M...can you come? I can't help thinking (pause) I'm next"

It's quite...heavy handed, put it that way.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    jobo wrote: »
    Disregarding the cheesy, bland story, subpar direction and performances which have already been disected to death, TWINE has remarkably bad action, probably worst in the series overall. The boat chase is decent, however overrated, and the rest of the action is just incredibly bland and uninspiring.

Cheesy and bland story?

Oh yes!

Would you care to point out for me the cheesy part? Is it that bond actually develops feelings for a woman and shoots her in the end?

I thought that was strictly plutonic?
  • jobo wrote: »
    Disregarding the cheesy, bland story, subpar direction and performances which have already been disected to death, TWINE has remarkably bad action, probably worst in the series overall. The boat chase is decent, however overrated, and the rest of the action is just incredibly bland and uninspiring.

Cheesy and bland story?

Oh yes!

Would you care to point out for me the cheesy part? Is it that bond actually develops feelings for a woman and shoots her in the end?

I thought that was strictly plutonic?

It certainly was! At least from her side.
    I love John Cleese in everything - including the Bond films.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Cleese's R/Q in the films, but I found his scene with Desmond uncomfortable to watch, with the whole "I think.." "You're not here to think.." exchange. Difficult to tell if Bond was feeling uncomfortable during this moment, because he was just looking back and forth at either guy during the exchange, but I felt like I was actually there as the third wheel. That awkward moment when one person is lecturing another and you just happen to be in the room with them.
    QBranch wrote: »
    I don't have a problem with Cleese's R/Q in the films, but I found his scene with Desmond uncomfortable to watch, with the whole "I think.." "You're not here to think.." exchange. Difficult to tell if Bond was feeling uncomfortable during this moment, because he was just looking back and forth at either guy during the exchange, but I felt like I was actually there as the third wheel. That awkward moment when one person is lecturing another and you just happen to be in the room with them.

I actually think Cleese was very good in DAD,he had settled into the role and was more relaxed,shame he didn't get a run as Q really.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Cleese was one of the few good things there.
    Cleese was one of the few good things there.

Indeed.

They kept Dench,a shame they didn't keep Cleese,but I wouldn't want CR changed,its perfect as it is.
    I wouldn't sacrifice CR either, but I would've loved another film with Brosnan & Cleese in 2004.
    That would have worked.
    I'm was surprised they didn't make another BrosnanBond film after the success of DAD.
    I think he asked for a big big fee but I cant remember.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    That would have worked.
    I'm was surprised they didn't make another BrosnanBond film after the success of DAD.
    And perhaps a return of Maryam as Bond girl, à la Maud Adams. Oh, what could've been.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    That would have worked.
    And perhaps a return of Maryam as Bond girl, à la Maud Adams. Oh, what could've been.

Ow that was below the belt Q !!
    Maryam below the belt? Your words, not mine! :D
    Maryam below the belt? Your words, not mine! :D

:)) cheeky sod !
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Since this is the "controversial opinions" thread: I LIKE Kara Milovy/Maryam d'Abo. In fact, she's among my favourite Bond girls in the "would-be-girlfriend" category. Not saying she's much of a help to Bond or so, but that's not my concern. If anybody intends to kick her of the Prater Ferris Wheel, tell me in time, and I'll gladly take precautions to catch her in time.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Since this is the "controversial opinions" thread: I LIKE Kara Milovy/Maryam d'Abo. In fact, she's among my favourite Bond girls in the "would-be-girlfriend" category. Not saying she's much of a help to Bond or so, but that's not my concern. If anybody intends to kick her of the Prater Ferris Wheel, tell me in time, and I'll gladly take precautions to catch her in time.

I'm a Kara fan as well. In fact she's easily in my top 5 favorite Bond girls.
    Wow, four Kara fans in a row! :)>-
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    Better make that five.
    I like Kara. I’d say Top 15.
    Once they marry ,she will be Kara T.
    2554_girl_martial_arts_karate_sticker_decal.gif
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I like Kara. I’d say Top 15.

Same here.

You have to take everything Bazza says with a pinch of salt. This is a bloke who thinks one win over Spurs means everything is fine and Wenger good for 10 more glorious years so his taste is questionable at best.
    I don't think liking Kara is in any way controversial. Her haters are just more vocal and make more noise, as is usually the case :)

Criticizing her for not being much of a help to Bond is a bit ridiculous when you look at some of the other, popular Bond girls... cough... cough.... Kara at least has (a lot of) talent and passion.
    I don't think liking Kara is in any way controversial. Her haters are just more vocal and make more noise, as is usually the case :)

Criticizing her for not being much of a help to Bond is a bit ridiculous when you look at some of the other, popular Bond girls... cough... cough.... Kara at least has (a lot of) talent and passion.

Indeed. Kara was a bit too much on the soppy side for me, but there was definitely a harder attempt to portray her as an actual person compared to the pin-ups that Roger often had.
  • Say what you want about Brosnan but in the last 30 years he's the one with the better off-bond career, Connery wins overall but most of his 90s movies stank.
    Count me in as another Kara fan. And she had genuine chemistry with Dalton which made a fop ten Bond girl for me!
    Professor Dent is one of the best villains of the franchise.
    Ludovico wrote: »

Sure he is. Nothing controversial about it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited November 2017 Posts: 5,979

Indeed. Kara was a bit too much on the soppy side for me, but there was definitely a harder attempt to portray her as an actual person compared to the pin-ups that Roger often had.

Kara's one of the best Bond girls in terms of her chemistry with Bond. Added bonus: she didn't die for having chemistry with her Bond.
    Ludovico wrote: »

I'd say he's underrated as well. A great villain and superbly portrayed by Anthony Dawson.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Kara fan here as well. Great chemistry with Dalton and a plausible love interest for a change. Charmingly innocent performance.