Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I think FRWL, and LTK to a lesser extend, showed us perfectly well how a more "real world" Bond film can have memorable villains.

FYEO's more realistic approach is no excuse for a collection of poor villains. Same goes for QOS, although at least White and Beame are ok.
    Charles Dance was the Bond villain that never was*

*I know he was in FYEO but he should have come back as a lead villain.
  • GBFGBF
    Well I don't need extremely memorable or even over the top villains and am totally fine fine with a rather down to earth villain like Kristatos. The problem I have with the QoS villains is that they are either nameless goons, stereotypes or a joke. And Greene belongs to the last category since he is so unsuccessfull and weak and he does not even have a competent henchman. And say what you want he is the main villain of the film much like Largo in TB or Klebb in FRWL.
    GBF wrote: »
    Well I don't need extremely memorable or even over the top villains and am totally fine fine with a rather down to earth villain like Kristatos. The problem I have with the QoS villains is that they are either nameless goons, stereotypes or a joke. And Greene belongs to the last category since he is so unsuccessfull and weak and he does not even have a competent henchman. And say what you want he is the main villain of the film much like Largo in TB or Klebb in FRWL.

How is Greene unsuccesful??
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    Greene was a great, realistic, underrated villain. Amalric played him perfectly. However, I agree that his henchmen were weak, forgettable.
  • Moore Bond handled that!

With aplomb
  • QBranch wrote: »
    Greene was a great, realistic, underrated villain. Amalric played him perfectly. However, I agree that his henchmen were weak, forgettable.

Yup
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Amalric plays him well but I think, If anything, Greene was possibly underwritten. We know little about him other than he's a slimy environmentalist. He also didn't have the orders CR that someone like LeCheffre did.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Amalric plays him well but I think, If anything, Greene was possibly underwritten. We know little about him other than he's a slimy environmentalist. He also didn't have the orders CR that someone like LeCheffre did.

He isn't, that's the point: he abuses people's good intentions to get very, very rich, and to extort the government to the full. He's after the water because he knows there's a huge drinkingwater problem. Ever seen Nestle's CEO? He's doing the same, except for the dam building (as far as I know).

Camille explains it at the party, Greene buys the land, let's loggers destroy it, claims it was the government and at the same time hourds th water in an inviseable place. He's as much an environmentalist as Trump is.
    I don't think this will be very controversial, but I think (at least currently) I have to single out TWINE as the most frustrating Bond film. It has a lot about it that's pretty neat (the Thames boat chase, Elektra, Llewelyn Q's last scene, several individual moments), but a lot of it just doesn't work unfortunately. The PTS, while good, is on the lengthy side, Renard is a meh villain IMO, Denise Richards as Christmas Jones (ugh...), some bland action scenes (particularly the ski scene and climax IMO; I do like the Caviar Factory scene though), and IMO a generally dull second half.

I still sort of like TWINE. It should have been a LOT better than it is, though, and is held back by several elements. I used to like it a lot more, but it definitely has to rank near the bottom of my list. If several things had been re-worked, this film could have been as good as Top 10.
    I too used to like twine more. Sadly it doesn't really hold up well.
    I also love the caviar factory scene though,great fun.
    Disregarding the cheesy, bland story, subpar direction and performances which have already been disected to death, TWINE has remarkably bad action, probably worst in the series overall. The boat chase is decent, however overrated, and the rest of the action is just incredibly bland and uninspiring.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Many Bond movies don‘t hold up for me - whereas I don‘t dislike any of them. The ones which never seem to age or fade for me are the first 4 Connery ones and so far Craig‘s first 3.

In particular it‘s ony DN, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, CR, QoS and SF I really and completely enjoy when rewatching. All others drag at some point for me while I generally appreciate them ... but tend to not rewatch them. I like LALD - yet I turned it off half way through; same with TSWLM, LTK, OP ...

I am curious if, once a new Bond comes on board, I still rank Craig‘s run so high or if some may fade as well.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    jobo wrote: »
    Disregarding the cheesy, bland story, subpar direction and performances which have already been disected to death, TWINE has remarkably bad action, probably worst in the series overall. The boat chase is decent, however overrated, and the rest of the action is just incredibly bland and uninspiring.

But apart from that it's pretty good.

But apart from that it's pretty good.

Yeah, disregarding minor problems as the story, performances, direction, action and locations, I'd say it's a cracking film!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    TWINE definitely seems to be one of those things that suffers from repeated viewings. I remember being nowhere near as scathing when I first saw it.
  • jobo wrote: »

Cheesy and bland story?

Cheesy and bland story?

Oh yes!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Deleted
  • jobo wrote: »

Cheesy and bland story?

Oh yes!

Would you care to point out for me the cheesy part? Is it that bond actually develops feelings for a woman and shoots her in the end?
    TWINE didn't do much for me the last time I saw it, but I still enjoy it. There's always something to like.
    TWINE didn't do much for me the last time I saw it, but I still enjoy it. There's always something to like.

Same here,i enjoy it..i find all Brosnan's films very re-watchable.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    All of Brosnan's are fun to watch. I like to think I am not bias growing up in his era- I do love all the other eras equally. TWINE is a good one from a collector's viewpoint- so many different props, and paper stuff too. In fact, I have gained a real appreciation for some of my least favourite/less viewed films, AVTAK, DAF etc., simply due to watching them just to spot props to collect. I will pause and rewind a film numerous times to take screenshots, and as I do this, I notice other things I hadn't paid much attention to before, for example: the amount of detail that goes into set designs, exchanges of dialogue... All these little things add up and give me a newfound respect for the film.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    A lot of the action in TWINE seems very staged.......the underground atomic base section and skiing sequences in particular.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    suavejmf wrote: »
    A lot of the action in TWINE seems very staged.......the underground atomic base section and skiing sequences in particular.

Yeah, twine not only has a boring story but doesn’t even have good action to make it excusable.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 17,333
    barryt007 wrote: »

The Brosnan films are just pure fun. And I like them for that very reason!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,533
    barryt007 wrote: »

The Brosnan films are just pure fun. And I like them for that very reason!

+1
    I hope the next era is reminiscent of Brosnan's era. Fun, action packed, and fully embracing of the Bond tropes. But with better scripts.
    I should reiterate I don’t hate TWINE (or any Bond film for that matter), but I view it as the biggest waste of potential. Most of the action scenes are very meh (boat chase and caviar factory are the exceptions), Denise Richards is possibly the worst Bond girl, Renard isn’t good, and the film tends to drag at a lot of parts. There are good things about it, but on the whole I have to rank it near the bottom.

Cheesy and bland story?

Oh yes!

Would you care to point out for me the cheesy part? Is it that bond actually develops feelings for a woman and shoots her in the end?

Perhaps 'cheesy' is the wrong word. But it's definitely soap opery.