Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

Ok other controversial opinion: Kristatos is one of the creepiest villains due to his, ahem, alleged intentions towards Bibi. And Bibi is actually a pretty good character, although her presence makes Moore look and feel like his age.
  • Ludovico wrote: »
    Professor Dent is one of the best villains of the franchise.

No he isn't. Bonds handling of him is one of the best ( and defining )in the franchise.
    Ludovico wrote: »

No he isn't. Bonds handling of him is one of the best ( and defining )in the franchise.

Yes he is. He's maybe an underling and an amateur, but that's why he's such a great character. He still tries his best to kill a 00 out of fear of his employer.

Yes he is. He's maybe an underling and an amateur, but that's why he's such a great character. He still tries his best to kill a 00 out of fear of his employer.

He is also sufficiently sinister and sneaky,a good character.
    Anthony Dawson plays him perfectly.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ok other controversial opinion: Kristatos is one of the creepiest villains due to his, ahem, alleged intentions towards Bibi. And Bibi is actually a pretty good character, although her presence makes Moore look and feel like his age.

I concur. and I think this has been said a few pages back as well. Glover is dirty as can be.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Obviously DN-FRWL-GF are Connery's magic Bond films, but could it be that DAF is the most entertaining of his four other efforts?
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Obviously DN-FRWL-GF are Connery's magic Bond films, but could it be that DAF is the most entertaining of his four other efforts?

Deginitely not for me. I hardly find anything entertaining in DAF
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    DAF is a deeply flawed movie with endless amounts of goofs, plot holes and editing mistakes...but it probably has the funniest dialogue of them all. So, while it is in my bottom five (but not as low as DAD and TWINE), I also find it quite entertaining.
    i enjoyed DAF more when I re-watched it a couple of weeks backs, but its still a highly flawed film.
    I know a lot of people appreciate the dialogue in DAF, and I respect that. The humor is just lost on me, unfortunately. I just think it's silly.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162
    I happen to think that DAF is one of those handful of bond movie which gave the franchise a somehow embarrassing image, but each of its one-liners is funnier than SF and SP combined (you could also throw in CR and QoS in for good measure).
    jobo wrote: »
    I know a lot of people appreciate the dialogue in DAF, and I respect that. The humor is just lost on me, unfortunately. I just think it's silly.

Yeah I'm kind of with you on that.

Though there are some enjoyable moments of pitch black humour in the first half. You can imagine Fleming coming up with an undertakers firm called Mr. Slumber.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

How could you ever miss out Thunderball here for the first magic four? For me GF is the weak one in that list, and DAF doesn't even approach it. It's a weak, lazy film riddled with mistakes. The first Austin Powers if you will. It has one of the best title songs though, I'll give you that. But the dialogue is weak and inconsistent too. Yes, it has funny lines, but that's just mockery.

How could you ever miss out Thunderball here for the first magic four? For me GF is the weak one in that list, and DAF doesn't even approach it. It's a weak, lazy film riddled with mistakes. The first Austin Powers if you will. It has one of the best title songs though, I'll give you that. But the dialogue is weak and inconsistent too. Yes, it has funny lines, but that's just mockery.

TB is waaaaaaay better than GF,if we are looking at Connery's best 3 films.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

How could you ever miss out Thunderball here for the first magic four?

Err because it's duller than An Evening With Rory Kinnear?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    TB is waaaaaaay better than root canal surgery and The Lighthouse Family's second album. And that's about it.

Fixed for you. Dear Baz you support Arsenal, hate Kara and think TB is better than GF. There really is no hope for you old son.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162

The first Austin Powers? In my mind that honor goes to YOLT.

TB is waaaaaaay better than root canal surgery and The Lighthouse Family's second album. And that's about it.

Fixed for you. Dear Baz you support Arsenal, hate Kara and think TB is better than GF. There really is no hope for you old son.

At least i'm semi-unique,Wiz he he ;)

I wasn't aware you found Rory Kinnear so entertaining! :-D :-D

At least i'm semi-unique,Wiz he he ;)

You certainly are 'special' mate.

I wasn't aware you found Rory Kinnear so entertaining! :-D :-D

I would only find Rory Kinnear entertaining if he was being mauled by a polar bear.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 7,500
    So many violent fantasies have been expressed on the forum lately! Calm down guys ;))
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited November 2017 Posts: 6,790
    I don't think DAF is better than those films, I was merely referring to its entertainment value.
    DAF is amusing in parts but I wouldn't call it a "classic" per-se. It's certainly not on the level of DN-GF but it might be wittier than TB despite being far less grand.
    jobo wrote: »
    So many violent fantasies have been expressed on the forum lately! Calm down guys ;))

For me that's an erotic fantasy not a violent one!
    DAF is the third-weakest EON Bond film ever for me. A huge step back from the 60s films. A few elements keep it above my bottom two, but it definitely needs to be near the bottom of my list.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

TB is waaaaaaay better than GF,if we are looking at Connery's best 3 films.

+1.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The Craig era is worse than the Brosnan era.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    DAF is the third-weakest EON Bond film ever for me. A huge step back from the 60s films. A few elements keep it above my bottom two, but it definitely needs to be near the bottom of my list.

Difficult to argue with this. DAF might entertain and have quite a few amusing lines but its almost a parody of a Bond film. The first 20 mins arent bad but after it leaves Amsterdam it gets progressively worse and worse without even the nuggets of quality that pepper TB.

TB, is, at least, a Bond film.

Personally my Connery rankings:

FRWL - No explanation necessary.

GF/DN - DN is getting better with age and GF worse and relying on its iconic moments which fortunately are plentiful. In another couple of years though I think DN will have 2nd spot to itself.

TB/YOLT - Again tough to separate. YOLT has a fairly underwhelming first half and a barnstormer of a second half. TB ebbs and flows from enjoyable Bondian romp to mind freezingly dull tedium.

DAF - Just lacklustre all round. Still largely an enjoyable watch though and it's probably more fun to sit through than TB despite the latter being empirically a better Bond film.

NSNA - Not as good as TB. Can't get much more damning than that.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Thanks to SP.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Remington wrote: »

Thanks to SP.

And Bond 25.
    Nope. Brosnan era is still the worst. Even if SP was #24 the Brosnan era would still be inferior.