Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Remington wrote: »
    The Craig era is worse than the Brosnan era.

Thanks to SP.

And Bond 25.

I hope you're wrong but I'm not feeling optimistic.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    DAD is ridiculous but it's fun as hell, for me anyway.
    SP is boring and tarnishes the previous three films to boot.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Nope. Brosnan era is still the worst. Even if SP was #24 the Brosnan era would still be inferior.

Quite. Even if you are absurdly generous to the Brozza era and say SP is as bad as DAD and GE is as good as CR (neither case is remotely true) that still leaves TND and TWINE v QOS and SF and the Craig era strolls home without breaking sweat.
    Opinion on SP will always be divided into those who hate it and those who don’t.

GE is the only really good one Brosnan had. He himself wasn’t the problem; the material they gave him was usually sub-par. TND is decent but too by-the-numbers and generic. TWINE should have been a way better movie, but becomes dull and dumb (Denise Richards) too often. DAD is just a total train wreck after the sword fight.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,189
    The whole "foster brother" story left a bad stain on the Craig era.

Still, in terms of general acting and production quality, Craig's films are far stronger. And I say that as someone who grew up with Brosnan's films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Nope. Brosnan era is still the worst. Even if SP was #24 the Brosnan era would still be inferior.

Each Brosnan film at least has a solid basis. Cliched? Yes. Uninspired? Yes. But competent.

The Craig films (barring CR) are all artistic flourishes with no grounding to hold them up.
    While I don’t like it, I think its impact is blown out of proportion.

A) Yes it’s dumb to tie Blofeld to Bond’s past this way, but at least he wasn’t his real brother.
    B) Blofeld asserts himself as “author of all Bond’s pain,” but the audience knows this is giving him too much credit. The villains he simply funded did a better job of trying to kill Bond or ruin his life than Blofeld did. Ironic, but true.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,984
    I doubt it'll be as diminishing as DAD is for Brosnan. Craig's getting a chance at a completely original and unrelated flick as well; if it's good then that can easily redeem the last one.

Whereas Brosnan has the unfortunate situation of his films following a linear decline, with his last two being widely regarded as among the worst (if not the worst). It's a sad case of starting strong and then sputtering out with some laughably weak entries.

There is a chance that Craig will do the same, but he's definitely hit higher highs (and more often) and it's hard to see him hitting lower lows. As much as I like Brosnan, Craig would have to seriously screw up for Pierce's run to start eclipsing his.
    DAF is the third-weakest EON Bond film ever for me. A huge step back from the 60s films. A few elements keep it above my bottom two, but it definitely needs to be near the bottom of my list.

Agreed. I only tank TWINE and DAD lower.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I must say that I downgraded SP on my personal list from my initial and provisional 8/10 to 7/10 recently (which I also rate QOS), but overall the Craig era is far better than the Brosnan series for me (CR and SF = 9, the other two = 7 - as opposed to 8-7-5-4 in chronological order for Broz). There's just no redemption at least for DAD.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, DAF is almost an insult to the 60's films, particularly its immediate predecessor OHMSS. I have it second only to DAD.
    I was never that fond of DAF, but it's dialogue is far cleverer (and funnier) than a lot of what appeared in the Brosnan films.
    Yeah, DAF is almost an insult to the 60's films, particularly its immediate predecessor OHMSS. I have it second only to DAD.

Makes sense. I have just DAD and MR below it. TWINE and TMWTGG are right above, but complete my bottom 5. I don’t hate any of these, but they are simply the weaker Bond films IMO. Going from OHMSS to DAF makes it especially disappointing.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    I was never that fond of DAF, but it's dialogue is far cleverer (and funnier) than a lot of what appeared in the Brosnan films.

The exchange about Pedro Ximenes Cherry is basically what saves it from being dead last in my book.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 11,189
    jobo wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

The exchange about Pedro Ximenes Cherry is basically what saves it from being dead last in my book.

And the scene when Bond and Tiffany Case first meet...and "Mr Slumber"...and the first scene introducing Whint and Kidd.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2017 Posts: 1,165
    I firmly believe Spectre will become less offensive to those who hate it once it's no longer the most recently released Bond film.

Quite. Even if you are absurdly generous to the Brozza era and say SP is as bad as DAD and GE is as good as CR (neither case is remotely true) that still leaves TND and TWINE v QOS and SF and the Craig era strolls home without breaking sweat.

I agree. Honestly though I like Brosnan as Bond and wish he had gotten at least one more that was as good as GE. It just got progressively worse and worse. I know not everyone here is a fan, but to me, the Craig era is the second-best era we have gotten since Connery/Lazenby in the 60s.
    Minion wrote: »
    I firmly believe Spectre will become less offensive to those who hate it once it's no longer the most recently released Bond film.

That's how I see it.
    DAD was in a similar situation and is a little more appreciated now.
    Probably. Opinions on the most recent Bond tend to be skewed for one reason or another.
    barryt007 wrote: »

That's how I see it.
    DAD was in a similar situation and is a little more appreciated now.

Heck, we're even seeing a major re-evaluation of Quantum of Solace since Skyfall and Spectre came out.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    edited November 2017 Posts: 732
    Even as badly paced/written as it is Bond and Madeleine worked better on screen that Bond and Lucia in SPECTRE
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    The Craig era is worse than the Brosnan era.

I agree, CR is the only one above average in my book. But even that one doesn't crack my top 10.

GE is one of personal favourite films. That one alone makes it no contest.

Craig's era is definitely my least favourite. The moment Bond is no longer a bon vivant, but a working class bodybuilder is when the character pretty much loses his charm for me.
    I'm not the best one for an opinion on this since I don't hate SP, but I just don't get why some people let it ruin all the other Craig films for them. I dislike how silly they made Blofeld in DAF and how they decided to continue from the story in OHMSS, but I didn't let that ruin the past 6 films for me - especially OHMSS.
    I feel like I'm unfairly more kind to the Brosnan era than most, but I wouldn't go so far a to slot it above the Craig years. GE and TND are neck and neck mid-pack for me, then TWINE and DAD are at bottom.

There might be the kernel of an argument in looking at it strictly from a popcorn entertainment kind of perspective, though I think still think it'd be a tough case to mount.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,270
    Strog wrote: »
    I feel like I'm unfairly more kind to the Brosnan era than most, but I wouldn't go so far a to slot it above the Craig years. GE and TND are neck and neck mid-pack for me, then TWINE and DAD are at bottom.

There might be the kernel of an argument in looking at it strictly from a popcorn entertainment kind of perspective, though I think still think it'd be a tough case to mount.

I just can’f see it either. I don’t hate Brosnan, but his era is clearly the weakest I think. TND grew on me a bit over time while TWINE kept getting worse. GE has always been near the top and DAD near the bottom on my ranking. Right now, I have them at: GE #5, TND #18, TWINE #21, DAD #23. TND’s ranking may look bad but there is a fair amount I still really like in that film.
    Since we are comparing Brosnan's and Craig's tenures, even with all its flaws I find SP superior to most of Brosnan Bonds, save GE. And before people starts moaning about the personal angle in SP: it's present in ALL Brosnan Bond movies.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SP is too long for the plot it has. Could have been better at 2 hrs.

Ludovico wrote: »
    Since we are comparing Brosnan's and Craig's tenures, even with all its flaws I find SP superior to most of Brosnan Bonds, save GE. And before people starts moaning about the personal angle in SP: it's present in ALL Brosnan Bond movies.

Agreed on everything.
    Having just rewatched the Brosnan era, I think they actually continue to improve up until DAD.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 1,162
    Having just rewatched the Brosnan era, I think they actually continue to improve up until DAD.

I absolutely agree. Might actually qualify as the rarest of the rarest of opinions here on this forum.