Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Sorry we can't all celebrate Sir Rog's 90th birthday.
    I'm sure we can all remember the great man today.
    As with @barryt007 I'm so glad I had the pleasure to see him in 2015, a true highlight of this Bond fans life.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    giphy-downsized-large.gif

Going to have to pinch that.

Sir Roger will always make people smile and laugh, that clip cracks me up every time.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Happy Birthday, Mr Moore!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Happy birthday to the late, legendary
    Roger Moore.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Happy birthday to the late Sir Rog!

Unfortunately I'll be travelling on work later today and so won't be able to view one of his films as I had planned. Nevertheless when I reach my hotel, I will be sure to raise a glass to, & reflect on, a legend. A very unique and special man & one of my favourite Bonds!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Happy 90th birthday to Sir Roger Moore! A great man and a great Bond, instrumental to the enduring success of Bond and in shaping his image for eternity. Also no shortage of compliments for his charity work with UNICEF.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,622
    timmer wrote: »
    I watched Rog in the 1954 Elizabeth Taylor classic, The Last Time I Saw Paris.
    Rog plays a young tennis bum, a real cad.
    I was suitably in awe - Rog acting opposite, the biggest movie-star of the era, the incomparable Liz. Awesome!!

Yes, I am a huge Taylor fan. The ultimate screen seductress.
    Any Taylor film from the 50s 60s, even 70s , is well worth the sit
    Working with arguably the biggest star in Hollywood at the time.
    Wait to go Rog!

Last Time I Saw Paris, I figure was a breakthrough role for Rog. He was 27 at the time.
    If you look at his IMDB page, he had been doing a lot of bit parts, tv and uncredited roles, and suddenly he's cast in a good supporting role, in a major Hollywood film starring not only Taylor in the lead, but also Van Johnson and Donna Reed (From Here to Eternity)
    This is Rog in all his young glory. He was clearly cast for his look. The role called for a dashingly handsome, athletic looking playboy, who could pass as a tennis bum, and distraction for Liz's character, who was on the outs with hubby.

elizabeth-taylor-roger-moore-the-last-time-i-saw-paris-1954-directed-F4PD1J.jpg

the-last-time-i-saw-paris-1954-roger-moore-elizabeth-taylor-ltsp-002p-BKMRYW.jpg

Rog might just supplant Sean as my most awe-inspiring Bond.
    ie Sean never did romance scenes with the great Elizabeth Taylor. Liz was only 22 at the time.
    This was vintage Liz, at the height of her star power, which carried on for a couple more decades.

If I was Rog, I would have framed those stills and hung them up in my main room, for all to gawk.

One of my favourite Liz stories, is that one of her seven husbands, a multi-billionaire ( can't remember which one) apparently decided, that now that he had accomplished all there was to accomplish in life, at least business& financial-wise, decided that all that remained to be done, was to marry Elizabeth Taylor. So he did.
    Liz very much liked diamonds, so I guess she managed to squeeze him in for a bit.

I must research if Rog and Liz stayed friends over the years. That would be interesting to know.
    Rog, again, I am in awe of your young self. Playing opposite Taylor, if only for a few scenes, in romance scenes no less....in such a big film, must have really put him on the map.
    He even decked Van Johnson in the bar scene too, when he tried to pull Liz away from Rog.
    Rog seemed to get more substantial roles after this film.
    Happy birthday Sir Roger.
    I'm enjoying some Saint episodes today in Roger's honor.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Roger-Moore-as-James-Bond.jpg
    Roger Moore IS James Bond.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Hopefully Sir Rog is having his favorite tipple with Sir David Niven.

Here's to your 90th birthday!
    Roger-Moore-as-James-Bond.jpg
    Roger Moore IS James Bond.

Elizabeth Taylor, I am sure was very proud.
    Circa 1973, she might have been telling people that way-back-when, she co-starred with the new James Bond.
    Rog outlived Liz, even though he was 5 years older. Liz died 2011, age 79.

As we all know, Rog was a robust, older Knight of the realm, who almost pushed his time on this mortal coil to age 90.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Remembering Sir Roger Moore with pride on what would have been his 90th Birthday. I'm so proud to share my birthday with this great man. Long may his sainted memory endure!
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Remembering Sir Roger Moore with pride on what would have been his 90th Birthday. I'm so proud to share my birthday with this great man. Long may his sainted memory endure!

Happy Birthday Dragster..and what a day to share ..!!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    50-bond-gun-barrel-22.jpg?w=480&h=320&crop=1

Yeah!
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Putting Moonraker on tonight in memory of Sir Rog!
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Happy birthday Sir Roger.
    I'm enjoying some Saint episodes today in Roger's honor.

I know this is a bit controversial but I actually think I prefer him in Bond overall.

From what I've seen of him in The Saint, he seems a bit too "smirky" for me.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited October 2017 Posts: 17,809
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Happy Birthday Dragster..and what a day to share ..!!

Thank you, Barry! :)

Indeed, Sir Roger remains my favourite Bond in my heart, though Tim Dalton is my favourite in my head.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    Forever my favourite Bond
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That is a very fine tribute.
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Thought I'd leave this here a fitting tribute from one of his friends I missed it at the time it was published hope you enjoy.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/style/farewell-friend-roger-moore/.
    Happy Birthday to the late great Sir Roger Moore, always my James Bond. Thinking of the family today.
    That’s so awesome that they did that for Roger.
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    This Bond and Roger fan was fortunate enough to be invited to the gloriously curated day at Pinewood Studios this past weekend where The Roger Moore Stage was indeed unveiled amidst a day of great celebration, reminiscences, laughter, tears and Bollinger...

REMEMBERING ROGER and the golden spy we loved...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/remembering-roger-and-the-golden-spy-we-loved/
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Great photos on your facebook. Congratulations, @CatchingBullets
    I'm sure you were honored to be there @CatchingBullets

I suspect Roger would have quipped about how they should have named the place after a "proper" actor.
    This Bond and Roger fan was fortunate enough to be invited to the gloriously curated day at Pinewood Studios this past weekend where The Roger Moore Stage was indeed unveiled amidst a day of great celebration, reminiscences, laughter, tears and Bollinger...

REMEMBERING ROGER and the golden spy we loved...

http://markoconnell.co.uk/remembering-roger-and-the-golden-spy-we-loved/

That must have been a real honour to be there? I certainly would have been humbled to have been present for that event. Thanks for sharing!
  • CatchingBulletsCatchingBullets facebook.com/catchingbullets
    Thanks everyone. Yes, it was a total honour. And not one to be forgotten easily.
  • Say what you want about his quirky tenure, he was in the best bond of them all, Spy who loved me. Moore had more class off the stage than any other bond actors, already been 6 months damn!
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 4,622
    timmer wrote: »
    I watched Rog in the 1954 Elizabeth Taylor classic, The Last Time I Saw Paris.
    Rog plays a young tennis bum, a real cad.
    I was suitably in awe - Rog acting opposite, the biggest movie-star of the era, the incomparable Liz. Awesome!!

Yes, I am a huge Taylor fan. The ultimate screen seductress.
    Any Taylor film from the 50s 60s, even 70s , is well worth the sit
    Working with arguably the biggest star in Hollywood at the time.
    Wait to go Rog!
    Well we'll, who knew? The young Broz also had a boy-toy moment with the great Liz.
    I am watching the The Mirror Crack'd (1980) as part of my ongoing Elizabeth Taylor binge, and who should suddenly appear but the 27-year old Broz, with full poofed-up '80s hair clutched to Liz's bosom. He is basically a prop for Taylor.
    I checked IMDB. This is one of Broz's earliest uncredited roles. He plays an actor playing a character, that Taylor also in actress-character, pulls to her bosom, in a scene from a movie that the two characters are shooting, as would befit Taylor, being a real-life Cleopatra, as well as the famous man-eating screen-Cleopatra.
    Liz liked to play roles, that weren't too far from her real self.
    So this is great. Both the young Rog and the young Broz played opposite the famous Taylor, age 27.
    Both cast as play-things for the ultimate movie-star Taylor.
    Good Bond-actor trivia question, I think.
This discussion has been closed.