Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Watched AVTAK last night on itv4. Hard to
    Believe It's been a year.
    I'll pop in a Roger film today at some point.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    One year ago we lost a legend. One year on, I'm sure they'll be many that will honour Sir Roger Moore in some way.
    Hey may be gone, but he'll never be forgotten.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Last couple of weeks have been re-wachting The Persuaders. Finished yesterday evening with the final episode. Thinking about a rewatch of The Saint next.

It is indeed hard to believe it has been a year. He certainly has been on my mind a lot.
    Benny wrote: »

Exactly.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 616
    With our acknowledgment of Moore's passing a year ago and the death of Clint Walker on May 21, it's the perfect time to watch GOLD OF THE SEVEN SAINTS, a moody, atmospheric 1961 western starring Clint and Sir Rog (with an Irish brogue!), beautifully photographed in widescreen WarnerScope and co-written by the great Leigh Brackett (THE BIG SLEEP, RIO BRAVO).
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    With our acknowledgment of Moore's passing a year ago and the death of Clint Walker on May 21, it's the perfect time to watch GOLD OF THE SEVEN SAINTS, a moody, atmospheric 1961 western starring Clint and Sir Rog (with an Irish brogue!)

Not a great or even very good film, but an enjoyable programmer. Clint Walker and Roger Moore are a very odd pairing but they have some chemistry--Moore plays the more mischievous partner. His Irish accent didn't sound terrible or overdone to me, but I'm probably a lousy judge in such matters, being American. It was good of the Warner Archive to release this slice of early Moore on DVD.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Legends like Sir Roger Moore never really die. He's left a large impression on my life and he'll never be forgotten. The definitive gentleman spy. RIP.
    Benny wrote: »
    One year ago we lost a legend. One year on, I'm sure they'll be many that will honour Sir Roger Moore in some way.
    I had the privilege of meeting and talking to him twice,once by accident,and he always made time for a good chat.

A lovely man...a hero of TV and cinema,bless him.
    I made a point of watching all his Bond films over the past two days.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I had the privilege of meeting and talking to him twice,once by accident,and he always made time for a good chat.

A lovely man...a hero of TV and cinema,bless him.

When (and how) did you meet him, @barryt007?
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 19,339
    One was a stage show and book signing he did,the other was bumping into him at a theatre and we chatted through part of the interval.
    His wife was there both times as well.

Actually I think I met him another time too.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 17,301
    One was a stage show and book signing he did,the other was bumping into him at a theatre and we chatted through part of the interval.

Lucky you! Hid did do a bit of touring when he had a book out, but to meet him by chance at a theatre! That must have been fun!

Of all the Bonds, I think Roger, Pierce and George would be the ones to meet. Sean, Timothy and Daniel doesn't seem like the talkative types, if you ask me.

Lucky you! Hid did do a bit of touring when he had a book out, but to meet him by chance at a theatre! That must have been fun!

Of all the Bonds, I think Roger, Pierce and George would be the ones to meet. Sean, Timothy and Daniel doesn't seem like the talkative types, if you ask me.

As for the other Bond's I would agree with you on that..i think Tim might be approachable on a good day,but Sean and Daniel I don't know.

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

George would talk to you if you paid him.

I'd give Tim the benefit of the doubt, unless he was dining out when you approached him.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'd be interested in speaking with Connery actually. I've always found his interviews quite fascinating to watch. He seems like an intelligent, insightful and opinionated person with a distinct point of view.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Roger was undoubtably the “warmest” of all the actors. He was the one who seemed like he could be your father or grandfather. That’s probably why his passing felt so poniant.

Connery’s eventual passing will undoubtably be sad but not quite in the same way in my view.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Roger was undoubtably the “warmest” of all the actors. He was the one who seemed like he could be your father or grandfather. That’s probably why his passing felt so poniant.

Connery’s eventual passing will undoubtably be sad but not quite in the same way in my view.
    I'm inclined to agree. I took Roger's passing quite hard. I grew up with him and he always seemed accessible onscreen and in person. He was like an uncle that I never knew rather than an actor I have never met, if that makes any sense. I was quite surprised by how I was impacted by his death.

With Sean it's more respect for his sheer awesomeness. More distant. Less relatable.
    bondjames wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I'm inclined to agree. I took Roger's passing quite hard. I grew up with him and he always seemed accessible onscreen and in person. He was like an uncle that I never knew rather than an actor I have never met, if that makes any sense. I was quite surprised by how I was impacted by his death.

With Sean it's more respect for his sheer awesomeness. More distant. Less relatable.

Exactly. Sean is a great icon but nothing more.
    I’ve posted this before but I think this clip illustrates what I’m talking about regarding Rober’s warm personality. Kind of reminds me of my grandfather actually.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 17,301

As for the other Bond's I would agree with you on that..i think Tim might be approachable on a good day,but Sean and Daniel I don't know.

Yeah, Tim might be an exception. Haven't really seen many interviews and similar with him, and in the few I've seen, he's been like Daniel in similar situations. Not the ideal interview object. Might have to do with who's doing the interview too. Graham Norton is one of few I can think about that makes people really open up (mostly with fun personal stories) - much helped with the access of alcohol, of course!
    NicNac wrote: »

George would talk to you if you paid him.

I'd give Tim the benefit of the doubt, unless he was dining out when you approached him.

Haha, that might be true! :))

Personally I would never approach anyone - no matter how 'big name' they might be, if they were dining out. That's really one of the situations where people should be left to their food and company, if you ask me.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Not sure how you two can measure this @BAIN123 and @bondjames? Roger Moore's passing was indeed very sad because he was the first Bond to R.I.P. and was much-loved by his fans and the general public alike. However, not to sound too mawkish but when Connery is finally laid to rest, it'll not only be the passing of a true giant of the modern cinema but also the first and (considered by a very large number in any serious polls taken) the best Bond to grace our screens. Maybe because you're both young and didn't experience firsthand the impact that Connery had on movies that you feel more closer to Roger Moore? I'm guessing that Connery was practically retired before you got the chance to see any of his movies in a theatre, if at all? You might also not have been aware that Connery was the first 007 before you were introduced to your first Bond movie?
    For me ,Sir Rog's passing hit me ,not only because I met him a few times and he being Bond,but also the Saint.

I used to watch that a heck of a lot in my younger years.
    Agreed. I was raised watching Roger.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    For me ,Sir Rog's passing hit me ,not only because I met him a few times and he being Bond,but also the Saint.

Pierce was Bond when I grew up, but Sir Roger’s Bond films really appealed to me more. I think I became a Bond fan out of being a fan of Sir Roger initially.

My grandfather died when I was four years old. I’ve been told he liked to watch James Bond films and loved Roger Moore’s take on the role. I really like that.
    Jeffrey wrote: »

Pierce was Bond when I grew up, but Sir Roger’s Bond films really appealed to me more. I think I became a Bond fan out of being a fan of Sir Roger initially.

My grandfather died when I was four years old. I’ve been told he liked to watch James Bond films and loved Roger Moore’s take on the role. I really like that.

He touched a lot of people's hearts..more than he realised.
    edited May 2018 Posts: 23,883
    bondsum wrote: »
    Not sure how you two can measure this @BAIN123 and @bondjames? Roger Moore's passing was indeed very sad because he was the first Bond to R.I.P. and was much-loved by his fans and the general public alike. However, not to sound too mawkish but when Connery is finally laid to rest, it'll not only be the passing of a true giant of the modern cinema but also the first and (considered by a very large number in any serious polls taken) the best Bond to grace our screens. Maybe because you're both young and didn't experience firsthand the impact that Connery had on movies that you feel more closer to Roger Moore? I'm guessing that Connery was practically retired before you got the chance to see any of his movies in a theatre, if at all? You might also not have been aware that Connery was the first 007 before you were introduced to your first Bond movie?
    You're right @bondsum. Connery is a giant in more ways than one. The most successful Bond actor critically as well as commercially, the first and the most iconic by far. I was really only referring to the impact it is likely to have on me personally in comparison.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,189
    bondsum wrote: »

You are very right @bondsum. When Connery departs this world it will undoubtably be the passing of a cinematic giant and of course it will be a sad event.

But Connery himself was a lot more private compared to Moore who was easily the most “accessible” Bond actor in terms of his relationship with the fans.

Moore is also the only Bond actor I actually have memories of meeting in person (other than Craig who I briefly stood opposite at the SF premier).

So yes, Connery is the best Bond (and probably the better actor) but Moore the man was the one who seemed more endearing.

(And the first Bond I saw in the cinema was actually Pierce in 1997).
This discussion has been closed.