Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    timmer wrote: »
    I watched Rog in the 1954 Elizabeth Taylor classic, The Last Time I Saw Paris.
    Rog plays a young tennis bum, a real cad.
    I was suitably in awe - Rog acting opposite, the biggest movie-star of the era, the incomparable Liz. Awesome!!
    Pretty well-known, but I haven't seen the film and would likely react the same.
    rexfeatures_1633442a_1_grande.jpg?v=1495823916
    Well we'll, who knew? The young Broz also had a boy-toy moment with the great Liz.
    I am watching the The Mirror Crack'd (1980) as part of my ongoing Elizabeth Taylor binge, and who should suddenly appear but the 27-year old Broz, with full poofed-up '80s hair clutched to Liz's bosom. He is basically a prop for Taylor.
    I checked IMDB. This is one of Broz's earliest uncredited roles. He plays an actor playing a character, that Taylor also in actress-character, pulls to her bosom, in a scene from a movie that the two characters are shooting, as would befit Taylor, being a real-life Cleopatra, as well as the famous man-eating screen-Cleopatra.
    Liz liked to play roles, that weren't too far from her real self.
    So this is great. Both the young Rog and the young Broz played opposite the famous Taylor, age 27.
    Both cast as play-things for the ultimate movie-star Taylor.
    Good Bond-actor trivia question, I think.
    I. Did. Not. Know. That. Thanks for pointing it out, @timmer.

So Brosnan was REALLY trying to follow in Moore's footsteps.
    2171-12695-0.jpg

Good in German, too. http://youtu.be/foMETZh129c

Plus Italian. http://youtu.be/F1G5LqyElCQ
    It would be genius if this was actually Roger but it's still funny.

I watched Rog in the 1954 Elizabeth Taylor classic, The Last Time I Saw Paris.
    Rog plays a young tennis bum, a real cad.
    I was suitably in awe - Rog acting opposite, the biggest movie-star of the era, the incomparable Liz. Awesome!!
    Pretty well-known, but I haven't seen the film and would likely react the same.
    rexfeatures_1633442a_1_grande.jpg?v=1495823916
    Well we'll, who knew? The young Broz also had a boy-toy moment with the great Liz.
    I am watching the The Mirror Crack'd (1980) as part of my ongoing Elizabeth Taylor binge, and who should suddenly appear but the 27-year old Broz, with full poofed-up '80s hair clutched to Liz's bosom. He is basically a prop for Taylor.
    I checked IMDB. This is one of Broz's earliest uncredited roles. He plays an actor playing a character, that Taylor also in actress-character, pulls to her bosom, in a scene from a movie that the two characters are shooting, as would befit Taylor, being a real-life Cleopatra, as well as the famous man-eating screen-Cleopatra.
    Liz liked to play roles, that weren't too far from her real self.
    So this is great. Both the young Rog and the young Broz played opposite the famous Taylor, age 27.
    Both cast as play-things for the ultimate movie-star Taylor.
    Good Bond-actor trivia question, I think.
    I. Did. Not. Know. That. Thanks for pointing it out, @timmer.

So Brosnan was REALLY trying to follow in Moore's footsteps.
    2171-12695-0.jpg

Good in German, too. http://youtu.be/foMETZh129c

Plus Italian. http://youtu.be/F1G5LqyElCQ

Good catch, finding the video and pictures.
    Wonder how many times Broz got to rehearse his scene?
    He's playing a character named Jamie. I'm sure that helped him land his later more famous James role.
    Rog played opposite Liz in her young prime.
    Broz played opposite an older Liz, but Rog never got buried in the Taylor bosom a la Broz.
    Good work Pierce!!!
    For those who missed it here is a link to the Talking Pictures documentary that was shown today on BBC2 in the UK
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09jxc7y/talking-pictures-roger-moore
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Thanks @BAIN123. Unfortunately the BBC in its infinite wisdom has only limited viewing to the UK, so I can't see it. I will seek it out on youtube. I will be remembering Rog this Christmas by taking in one of his classics. Perhaps MR, TSWLM or TMWTGG. Not sure which yet.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Of those three I'd recommend TSWLM. Moore's personal favourite and I remember I watched it in the evening after I heard that he had died.
    edited December 2017 Posts: 23,883
    So did I @BAIN123. Yes, that would be an appropriate choice, in honour of his favourite Bond film of his.
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 4,622
    I've always had a soft spot for TMWTGG.
    Rog looks real good as Bond. I love the Barry music including the full-throat bellow Lulu title song.
    The movie has a neat vibe about it. Almost spooky at times. The casting of Lee, Adams, Ekland and Villechaize makes for a tight little supporting package.
    Scaramanga's island is one of my favourite Bond settings, especially the exotic beach layout.
    The pts sets up the movie very nicely.
    The shot of Adams stretching langorously on her beach chair is one of the series great Bond Girl moments, complete with little Barry musical flourish.
    Barry's contributions to the film, cannot be overstated...same for his two previous Guy Hamilton outings.
    Adams clearly made an impression on Cubby, or he wouldn't have brought her back for the very rare Bond Girl double, in a more substantive role.

@timmer, I completely agree. I have a soft spot for TMWTGG as well for the reasons you note. It's a very atmospheric and unique Bond film. A bit quirky but quite charismatic, if one can get beyond the silliness in places. I may in fact see all three (TMWTGG, TSWLM & MR) this Christmas. Can't go wrong with any of them really.
    bondjames wrote: »
    @timmer, I completely agree. I have a soft spot for TMWTGG as well for the reasons you note. It's a very atmospheric and unique Bond film. A bit quirky but quite charismatic, if one can get beyond the silliness in places. I may in fact see all three (TMWTGG, TSWLM & MR) this Christmas. Can't go wrong with any of them really.

Yes, atmospheric! That's a good word to describe it.
    Yes it does have a few cringy places but manages to move past them and get back on track
    The thing is in the documentary they virtually played clips of MWTGG and TSWLM side-by-side when talking about his Bond era. GG looked quite drab and dated, whereas Spy still seemed colourful and spectacular.

I remember though in the 2 weeks after he died I watched 5 out of 7 of his Bond films (TSWLM, MR, FYEO, OP and AVTAK). Of that lot View came out as the weakest.
    I've always had a soft spot for TMWTGG.
    Rog looks real good as Bond. I love the Barry music including the full-throat bellow Lulu title song.
    The movie has a neat vibe about it. Almost spooky at times. The casting of Lee, Adams, Ekland and Villechaize makes for a tight little supporting package.
    Scaramanga's island is one of my favourite Bond settings, especially the exotic beach layout.
    The pts sets up the movie very nicely.
    The shot of Adams stretching langorously on her beach chair is one of the series great Bond Girl moments, complete with little Barry musical flourish.
    Barry's contributions to the film, cannot be overstated...same for his two previous Guy Hamilton outings.
    Adams clearly made an impression on Cubby, or he wouldn't have brought her back for the very rare Bond Girl double, in a more substantive role.

Nice summary. There's something a little different about TMWTGG that makes it stand out and I like it a lot as well.

I've never understood the criticism of Barry's music in this, I quite like it. Much better than his AVTAK score, which seems way overpraised, where it should have enhanced a weak film it didn't and that's another strike I have against it.

Let's Go Get 'em is one of my favorite Bond action tracks and always find my speed increasing when listening to it while driving, sort of a reflex action. The romantic version of the title theme is also a nice standout.
    A Christmas reading from a younger Sir Roger.

Makes me feel slightly emotional.

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Fantastic Roger had such a brilliant voice.
    It's been half a year and I still get a bit sad when I think of Sir Roger George Moore. Sounds weird to say when I never met the man but it is what it is. I don't see this ever happening with anyone else. Godspeed, Roger.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited December 2017 Posts: 17,816
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    A Christmas reading from a younger Sir Roger.

Makes me feel slightly emotional.

Beautiful. Perhaps you could share this on the Advent Calendar thread?

https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/17349/the-great-mi6-community-james-bond-advent-calendar-new-years-eve-celebration
    mattjoes wrote: »
    It's been half a year and I still get a bit sad when I think of Sir Roger George Moore. Sounds weird to say when I never met the man but it is what it is. I don't see this ever happening with anyone else. Godspeed, Roger.

Sums up the way I feel, too. Very sad to lose him this year.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,985
    20171223_173759-1.jpg
    My stepdaughter got me this amazing present for xmas
    20171223_173759-1.jpg

Lovely stuff! You'll cherish that forever.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I have an autographed photo, that I use as my avatar.
    I have an autographed photo, that I use as my avatar.

I have one too. Wrote to him in 2002 requesting an autographed photo and thankfully he obliged. A great man.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited December 2017 Posts: 3,985
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    20171223_173759-1.jpg

Lovely stuff! You'll cherish that forever.

Thanks @Dragonpol I was over the moon! Must have cost her a fortune!
    Last nights BBC Radio 2 programme.

Lovely tribute but sometimes quite tough to listen to (there were several times when it felt very close to home and reminded me of my lost relatives). Be prepared for a few tears.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09jqwns
    Happy 75 , Chris Walken !

Is he happiest......AT his party ?

:P
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Tracy wrote: »

Only if there's no saddle around.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    @Tracy and @j_w_pepper this is for appreciation of Roger Moore only.
    Please use the existing birthday thread.
    https://www.mi6community.com/discussion/134/the-mi6-james-bond-birthday-calendar/p55

Thanks
    Tracy wrote: »

Only if he is not neglecting his guests.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Benny wrote: »
    this is for appreciation of Roger Moore only.

Sorry, somehow didn't even notice what thread this was. Apologies.
    Just found out that I have a copy of Crossplot in my shelf, and that I've never actually watched it!
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Fondly remembering Sir Roger today. Can’t believe that it has been a year since he passed away. I shall be watching a movie in his honour this evening.
This discussion has been closed.