Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »
    Not sure how you two can measure this @BAIN123 and @bondjames? Roger Moore's passing was indeed very sad because he was the first Bond to R.I.P. and was much-loved by his fans and the general public alike. However, not to sound too mawkish but when Connery is finally laid to rest, it'll not only be the passing of a true giant of the modern cinema but also the first and (considered by a very large number in any serious polls taken) the best Bond to grace our screens. Maybe because you're both young and didn't experience firsthand the impact that Connery had on movies that you feel more closer to Roger Moore? I'm guessing that Connery was practically retired before you got the chance to see any of his movies in a theatre, if at all? You might also not have been aware that Connery was the first 007 before you were introduced to your first Bond movie?

You are very right @bondsum. When Connery departs this world it will undoubtably be the passing of a cinematic giant and of course it will be a sad event.

But Connery himself was a lot more private compared to Moore who was easily the most “accessible” Bond actor in terms of his relationship with the fans.

Moore is also the only Bond actor I actually have memories of meeting in person (other than Craig who I briefly stood opposite at the SF premier).

So yes, Connery is the best Bond (and probably the better actor) but Moore the man was the one who seemed more endearing.

(And the first Bond I saw in the cinema was actually Pierce in 1997).

That must have been a blast..a great,big loud film for your first Bond cinematic experience !

barryt007 wrote: »
    Not sure how you two can measure this @BAIN123 and @bondjames? Roger Moore's passing was indeed very sad because he was the first Bond to R.I.P. and was much-loved by his fans and the general public alike. However, not to sound too mawkish but when Connery is finally laid to rest, it'll not only be the passing of a true giant of the modern cinema but also the first and (considered by a very large number in any serious polls taken) the best Bond to grace our screens. Maybe because you're both young and didn't experience firsthand the impact that Connery had on movies that you feel more closer to Roger Moore? I'm guessing that Connery was practically retired before you got the chance to see any of his movies in a theatre, if at all? You might also not have been aware that Connery was the first 007 before you were introduced to your first Bond movie?

You are very right @bondsum. When Connery departs this world it will undoubtably be the passing of a cinematic giant and of course it will be a sad event.

But Connery himself was a lot more private compared to Moore who was easily the most “accessible” Bond actor in terms of his relationship with the fans.

Moore is also the only Bond actor I actually have memories of meeting in person (other than Craig who I briefly stood opposite at the SF premier).

So yes, Connery is the best Bond (and probably the better actor) but Moore the man was the one who seemed more endearing.

That must have been a blast..a great,big loud film for your first Bond cinematic experience !

As a teenager I loved it...but now it doesn’t seem so good.
    Sean Connery had a bigger impact on film than Roger Moore, but I think BAIN and bondjames' point regarding Roger's projected personality is accurate. Roger came across as very warm and welcoming. Connery, while certainly friendly and polite in public appearances, gives off a tougher vibe. It's also clear from behind-the-scenes stories that he wasn't one to suffer fools gladly. While it's also been reported in books and other publications that Roger also expressed his displeasure in some unprofessional situations, in hearing him talk and hearing other people talk about him, one gets the impression he had a more patient, diplomatic attitude than Sean. I believe Michael Caine told a story about him and Sean being invited to dinner by a famous actress, who then asked Sean if he would participate in a film project with her. Connery said "dear God, no. Why would you ask?" Caine reflected that being an Englishman, he would've been a little less straightforward, more delicate in rejecting her offer. It's likely that Roger would've handled the situation in the same way.

(For those who've heard the story, do you know just who this unnamed actress was? I'd love to know.)

barryt007 wrote: »

Agreed!
    @mattjones. Exactly. Moore just came off as friendlier, though he certainly wasn't past putting down his co-stars sometimes. I remember him calling Britt Eckland a silly cow at one of his stage shows in 2008.

• edited May 2018 Posts: 616
    Unlike Moore, Connery has a history of domestic violence. His first wife Diane Cilento revealed in her autobiography that Connery beat her into unconsciousness, and Connery got into trouble (at least, in the States) for his comments about slapping women around to TV interviewer Barbara Walters.

In a MeToo society, expect Connery's reputation to be tarnished after his passing. As it should be.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    Unlike Moore, Connery has a history of domestic violence.

Moore also had that, but as the victim.

... which I was unaware of until recently, after seeing an interview with Moore conducted by Piers Morgan. Apparently Moore's first wife was abusive on a regular basis.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

... which I was unaware of until recently, after seeing an interview with Moore conducted by Piers Morgan. Apparently Moore's first wife was abusive on a regular basis.

Was Moore married to Connery?

Was Moore married to Connery?
    Now there's a thought!

- I see you're a man of very few words.
    - What ish there to shay?

(Apologies for any mental images caused)
    To all those that have added more thoughts to my own, I do want to repeat my first line again just for clarity: Not sure how you two can measure it. It certainly can't be measured now as Connery is still alive.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,189
    Well somehow I don't think you could imagine Connery doing something like this:

I think it's fair to say that Roger was more playful towards his audience of admirers in a way that Connery just wasn't.
    The Bond series has been wildly successful for almost fifty years since Connery's exit, and it will continue to be successful for many years to come.

Sure, Connery had quite an effect on teenagers who never emotionally recovered when he retired from playing the character. Most people, however, didn't give a sh*t and continued to support the movies. That's a testament to the popularity of James Bond, not Connery.

And yes, I'm old enough to have seen him play the role on the big screen. It didn't change my life.
  • edited May 2018 Posts: 11,189
    I'm going to be honest: my late grandfather (who was in his 40s during the 1960s) used to say to me he was never that impressed with Connery back then and preferred him when he was older.
    The Bond series has been wildly successful for almost fifty years since Connery's exit, and it will continue to be successful for many years to come.

Sure, Connery had quite an effect on teenagers who never emotionally recovered when he retired from playing the character. Most people, however, didn't give a sh*t and continued to support the movies. That's a testament to the popularity of James Bond, not Connery.

And yes, I'm old enough to have seen him play the role on the big screen. It didn't change my life.
    No offense @Escalus5. But wasn't it you that said: "My parents took me to see A VIEW TO A KILL at the Penn-Can Mall in Cicero, just north of Syracuse. I was 6 years old" on the At What Point in Your Life did You First see Each Bond Film thread!!! By your own admission, the only Connery movie that you saw at the cinema was NEVER SAY NEVER AGAIN aged 4. How is that someone "old enough to have seen him play the role on the big screen"? Your jejune comments giveaway the fact that you're not old enough to remember Connery in his pomp.
    Obviously I am one of Sir Roger’s biggest defenders on here,sometimes too much as some members know, but to even compare him to Connery in real life is insulting to the great man : Sir Roger I mean .
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    As much as I love Connery, in real life nobody compares to Sir Rog.
    Unlike Moore, Connery has a history of domestic violence. His first wife Diane Cilento revealed in her autobiography that Connery beat her into unconsciousness, and Connery got into trouble (at least, in the States) for his comments about slapping women around to TV interviewer Barbara Walters.

In a MeToo society, expect Connery's reputation to be tarnished after his passing. As it should be.

MeToo?? Sorry but very few normal people take that crap seriously. It's a joke! Something for Hollywood to drudge up so that they can feel better about themselves. Those same enablers of abuse are now wearing MeToo badges. What a sham!
    How is that someone "old enough to have seen him play the role on the big screen"?

I was alive, cognizant, and already a fan of Bond. Old enough.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Just sharing this here, lovely Roger Moore ~
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    I didn't know where to ask, but is anyone else reading his Live and Let Die diary? I'm digging every word. So great.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I didn't know where to ask, but is anyone else reading his Live and Let Die diary? I'm digging every word. So great.

Is it still in print?
    royale65 wrote: »

Is it still in print?

It's back in print.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Nice. Will have to get that.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Just sharing this here, lovely Roger Moore ~

That IS lovely!
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

I hope to spend some time reading it this weekend. Look forward too it. :)
    Keeping it for my vacation, but I already bought it on re-release the 1st of Jun.
    It’s surprisingly candid.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I must dig out my old copy, haven't read it in years.
    I have a little extra money at the moment so I just bought these 2 hardbacks (You cant put Sir Roger on Kindle ! ) :

41hxS2MJQ6L._AC_US218_.jpg

41S1YCfYNnL._AC_US218_.jpg
    (This is a best seller on Amazon,and I thought I better grab it before it becomes impossible to get again ! )

And this on Kindle :

51BlfO941gL._AC_US218_.jpg
This discussion has been closed.