No Time To Die: Production Diary

1110111021104110611072585

Comments

  • I keep repeating this though I want Bond 25 to be a fun one off mission not linked in a contrived manner to previous DC films.
    One off? Yes, absolutely! Fun? Noooo! I want a deadly serious thriller. Not drama, thriller.

    A deadly serious thriller can also be fun
    jake24 wrote: »
    I keep repeating this though I want Bond 25 to be a fun one off mission not linked in a contrived manner to previous DC films.
    It won't happen this time.

    I suspect you are right based on the previous four movies, they have arguably backed themselves into a corner with DC
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The so called 'cheese era' was put out of its misery (thankfully for many) after 7 years. Perhaps it's time for the 'pretentious drama era' to meet a siimilar fate. Unfortunately however, it seems that it will linger for 13 years.

    As I said a few days back, it's the length of this era without tonal change which is a legitimate concern. And no, the Bond at the end of SF is not the same cool, suave, carefree one from the early years and can never be. We know too much about this version's troubles, backgound and history for him to ever be credible in that capacity. He is no longer an enigma.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Posts: 10,488
    A serious thriller would be ideal!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    Maybe they should hire Warren Ellis as a writer.
  • Posts: 11,119
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Be careful @ClarkDevlin, the thought police are after you. ;)

    Be careful @Murdock? Nah, boring. Let's take risks every now and then ;-)

    A fifth drama in a row doesn't sound very risky @Gustav_Graves. In fact it sounds safe.

    What makes you believe/assume all that. I also find it pretty short-sighted to name all previous four Bond films in retrospect "drama" films.

    It's what I said before in here: we assume too much in this overpopulated topic. Actually, to annoy certain people in here, I wouldn't mind to continue this so called 'formula of drama movies', just like we had this 'formula of comedy cheese' in another era. And then again, you can't make all people happy :-).

    PS: Hence I create the new betting odds game/topic ;-)

    The last for films have been dramas. 2 less so than the others. I don't mind Dramas, I'm just tired of the boring melodrama and delving into Bond's past and these nonsensical connections to make Bond and Blofeld related through childhood.

    Your opinions are quite known. Which era had comedy cheese because in the entire 50+ years this franchise has existed no Bond film has ever stuped to having Comedy cheese as you say. And you assume I haven't been happy well you're wrong on that mark. I've enjoyed all of Craig's films. I just want his fifth to steer away from the melodrama and contrived plot twists Mendes thought were clever.

    God. But me too. Why would I go into great lengths to write a story treatment that exactly has that fun. Have you actually.....read it?

    But I also know very well that we probably won't get such a film. I can't be bothered so much. Let the new Bond film surprise us a bit more, instead of already turning the Bond 25 event into a lousy negative tour-de-force, further enhanced by comparisons with other franchises that supposedly know it better. Ughhh, so easy to say.....especially when you're not a 55 year old franchise.

    I'm a bit fed up with the 'I am a director as well' mentality over here. It's not something personal pointed at you @Murdock. And I know you're a happy chap. Seeing you in that mustard yellow Starfleet pullover makes me happy :-).
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,036
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Be careful @ClarkDevlin, the thought police are after you. ;)

    Be careful @Murdock? Nah, boring. Let's take risks every now and then ;-)

    A fifth drama in a row doesn't sound very risky @Gustav_Graves. In fact it sounds safe.

    What makes you believe/assume all that. I also find it pretty short-sighted to name all previous four Bond films in retrospect "drama" films.

    It's what I said before in here: we assume too much in this overpopulated topic. Actually, to annoy certain people in here, I wouldn't mind to continue this so called 'formula of drama movies', just like we had this 'formula of comedy cheese' in another era. And then again, you can't make all people happy :-).

    PS: Hence I create the new betting odds game/topic ;-)

    The last for films have been dramas. 2 less so than the others. I don't mind Dramas, I'm just tired of the boring melodrama and delving into Bond's past and these nonsensical connections to make Bond and Blofeld related through childhood.

    Your opinions are quite known. Which era had comedy cheese because in the entire 50+ years this franchise has existed no Bond film has ever stuped to having Comedy cheese as you say. And you assume I haven't been happy well you're wrong on that mark. I've enjoyed all of Craig's films. I just want his fifth to steer away from the melodrama and contrived plot twists Mendes thought were clever.

    God. But me too. Why would I go into great lengths to write a story treatment that exactly has that fun. Have you actually.....read it?

    But I also know very well that we probably won't get such a film. I can't be bothered so much. Let the new Bond film surprise us a bit more, instead of already turning the Bond 25 event into a lousy negative tour-de-force, further enhanced by comparisons with other franchises that supposedly know it better. Ughhh, so easy to say.....especially when you're not a 55 year old franchise.

    I'm a bit fed up with the 'I am a director as well' mentality over here. It's not something personal pointed at you @Murdock. And I know you're a happy chap. Seeing you in that mustard yellow Starfleet pullover makes me happy :-).

    I haven't had the time to get around to reading your treatment. Been much too busy lately. I've also got a backlog of Early draft scripts of Bond films I need to get to as well. So much content, so little time. :))

    But I'm positive Bond 25 will be a step in the right direction. Craig is back, that's one thing I wanted. To have it end with the death of Blofeld and the collapse of Spectre would be a nice shiny red bow.
    XxvZf3Jl.jpg
  • Posts: 1,678
    I really would rather not see DV helm Craigs final film. Prisoners was the only decent film IMO, the rest are pretentious with some good scenes in them.

    He cant bring his style of filmaking to Bond, even EON wont let it happen, Villenueve's films are too much of a slog to sit through.

    Ill be suprised if he is hired, I think Mendes was asked repeatedly again & EON are scrambling.
  • Posts: 5,767
    @Murdock -- great poster. Honestly, my man, I can see the movie in the poster. Or at least feeding me the expectation of what's in the movie.

    Well done. Always love your creativity.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,036
    Thanks, @peter. :-bd
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 352
    Rumors floating around online that Elon Musk has been pitching script/plot ideas to EON for Bond 25, and includes some sort of space rocket, or even outer space as a location. Apparently our new Moonraker?

    Also, DC wants Monica Bellucci back in the next film to have a fuller, longer role.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Posts: 205
    There you go! Even Forster was allowed to pick a new production designer! It is extremely unlikely that now, in 2017, EON would hire the production designer before they have a director. I would bet 1000 US dollars with anyone that they've already hired a director.
    Well, I guess that's one conclusion you could jump to. The flip-side might be they hired Lamont for QOS before Forster came on-board and replaced him. Not convinced this means a great deal - but it's nice to hear *some* Bond news.
  • Walecs wrote: »
    Ok, they 100% have their director now. There is NO way BB and MGW would hire the production designer before hiring the director. (They may have done it in the past, I'm not sure, but there is no way something like this would happen in the Craig era.)

    I'm unclear how Gassner was hired for Quantum (was he Forster's guy or not?). Mendes specified Gassner (at least that's what Mendes said in interviews), but Gassner was already in the fold so that wasn't such a big deal.

    Mendes even claimed he cast Kinnear as Tanner.

    He also seems to be convinced, that it was him who brought back the DB5. To me this man is completely full of himself and not much else.

    Understood. I am just remembering in his early interviews when asked why he'd do a Bond film, Mendes said he "had" to have three people: Deakins as DOP, Newman as composer and Gassner as production designer.
  • Satorious wrote: »
    I'm unclear how Gassner was hired for Quantum (was he Forster's guy or not?)
    Yes he was (in part at least). I spoke with Peter Lamont at a Bond event in Pinewood during 2007 and he told me that he was no longer working on Bond 22 (as it was known then) because the director wanted a different style and had picked a new production designer (who turned out to be Gassner). I remember being somewhat surprised by the news at the time.

    Thanks.
  • CASINOROYALECASINOROYALE Somewhere hot
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,003
    Well I asked the costume designer from Skyfall and Spectre (Jany Temime), if she would be coming back. She didn’t reply but she followed me on Instagram haha. Still a win.

    Gassner confirmed for Bond 25 and he has worked with.. Guess who Denis Villeneuve...
  • Posts: 830
    Well I asked the costume designer from Skyfall and Spectre (Jany Temime), if she would be coming back. She didn’t reply but she followed me on Instagram haha. Still a win.

    Gassner confirmed for Bond 25 and he has worked with.. Guess who Denis Villeneuve...

    on blade runner, no less
  • Posts: 6,601
    Temime? Please not.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Eve Stavro Blofeld
    Posts: 4,314
    jake24 wrote: »
    I keep repeating this though I want Bond 25 to be a fun one off mission not linked in a contrived manner to previous DC films.
    It won't happen this time.

    For a change, at least they could make the film dramatic but not "artsy", CR-style. Though I have little faith that'll happen either.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Posts: 856
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Temime? Please not.

    I'm not keen about her coming back, but I think she's a certainty.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Posts: 3,557
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Temime? Please not.

    I'm not keen about her coming back, but I think she's a certainty.

    Why do you think so?
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Posts: 856
    I believe they are all happy with her, Craig especially.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Posts: 3,557
    I'd sorta like Louise Frogley back.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    Posts: 856
    Me too. Best suits in the Craig era.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    I believe they are all happy with her, Craig especially.
    I agree. No changes on this front until B26 imho.
  • Posts: 684
    Also, DC wants Monica Bellucci back in the next film to have a fuller, longer role.
    I doubt this enormously, and I've never considered it before now, but seeing as how we're bound to get continuity in some fashion with B25, I'd actually really like to have Bellucci back as the main girl. Way preferable to bringing back Madeline. It might not right the wrong of her all-to-brief appearance in SP, but it's a start.
  • Posts: 11,119
    Let's not 'demand' too much, shall we? A bit more laissez-faire mentality. Again, not asking for less criticism! But what about new ways of adding positive criticism? For example: What should Sam Mendes do/improve IF the man returns? What friendly advice would you give Janny Temime for Bond #25? Or what realistic.....REALISTIC......story ideas do you have for the next film? For the latter I even created an entire topic! Which is pretty much positive spirited, yet critical as well :-).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    In other words, with all the dog whistle you're putting up there, you could simply say you want things to stay more of the same as the last two ones. Saves you trouble and time.
  • Posts: 11,425
    Loving the new Star Wars poster. https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/oct/17/the-last-jedi-luke-skywalker-goes-to-the-dark-side

    If Star Wars can go all retro with their poster art, then why not Bond? It really is long overdue that EON brought back the traditional expansive illustrated posters. Even if they are just there for collectors. A crying shame.
  • Posts: 11,119
    In other words, with all the dog whistle you're putting up there, you could simply say you want things to stay more of the same as the last two ones. Saves you trouble and time.

    No, that's not what I am saying. And if you took some time in what topics I have been posting in here and what stories I have written, you OUGHT to know that what you're saying is pretty much.....wrong.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Posts: 15,423
    In other words, with all the dog whistle you're putting up there, you could simply say you want things to stay more of the same as the last two ones. Saves you trouble and time.

    No, that's not what I am saying. And if you took some time in what topics I have been posting in here and what stories I have written, you OUGHT to know that what you're saying is pretty much.....wrong.
    Whatever floats your boat, pal.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Posts: 16,036
    In other words, with all the dog whistle you're putting up there, you could simply say you want things to stay more of the same as the last two ones. Saves you trouble and time.

    No, that's not what I am saying. And if you took some time in what topics I have been posting in here and what stories I have written, you OUGHT to know that what you're saying is pretty much.....wrong.

    Not everyone is going to be interested in those topics. You can't force people to contribute to them no matter how red in the face you get. He has his opinions and you have yours. Just accept that and move on.
Sign In or Register to comment.