No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    its storylne was initially developed as a two-parter
    Wrong. Read the Sony leaks. It's all there.
    Care to show me the way?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited October 2017 Posts: 1,756
    Well, to be fair to Dan, he does have a say in a Bond film if you're going to be shooting and going off location, etc, for lengthy periods of time, especially back to back.

It's not really Daniel's fault EON couldn't come up with a competent script. Although he did have creative control it in. So what could have been two good movies in half the time, we got one bad one and maybe one amazing one if Villeneuve on board.

Then again Dan's absence of foresight on his Bond career certainly hasn't helped.

If Villeneuve is truly directing the next one, maybe it would be all worth it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited October 2017 Posts: 23,883
    The key from my perspective is the fact that they felt compelled to cram too much into SP (including a pseudo tidy resolution) in order to accommodate Craig's reluctance to commit to one more at the time (let alone a back to back).

Somebody decided to have Blofeld back for B24, and it was always going to be foolish to try to 'bring him in' and 'close him out' in one film. Ultimately that's where the mess lies. They should have held him back for the next actor and rolled him out in stages rather than the retro back fit.
    And I'm still waiting for the evidence @PanchitoPistoles was going to offer me from the leaks.
    bondjames wrote: »
    The key from my perspective is the fact that they felt compelled to cram too much into SP (including a pseudo tidy resolution) in order to accommodate Craig's reluctance to commit to one more at the time (let alone a back to back).

Somebody decided to have Blofeld back for B24, and it was always going to be foolish to try to 'bring him in' and 'close him out' in one film. Ultimately that's where the mess lies. They should have held him back for the next actor and rolled him out in stages rather than the retro back fit.

Yep, I have to agree with you.

What it came down to was Craig's inability to commit, which crammed SP, then he had the nerve to come back for another. Now we have the mess which is Spectre and a Bond movie delayed 4 years after. And Babs begged for him back. Not a very professional movie making process at all.

What it came down to was Craig's inability to commit, which crammed SP, then he had the nerve to come back for another. Now we have the mess which is Spectre and a Bond movie delayed 4 years after. And Babs begged for him back. Not a very professional movie making process at all.
    Some rumours indicated out there that Tom Hardy was approached briefly before Craig's confirmation. And because Craig hates him, apparently, he decided to jump back in order to preclude Hardy's succeeding in his shoes.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited October 2017 Posts: 10,588
    I wouldn't believe everything you read, gents. There are a lot of assumptions going on at the moment.

Some rumours indicated out there that Tom Hardy was approached briefly before Craig's confirmation. And because Craig hates him, apparently, he decided to jump back in order to preclude Hardy's succeeding in his shoes.

If true, very disappointed.

Hardy + Villeneuve could have been marvelous.

I doubt that is the case..where does it say he hates Hardy ?..im curious.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    jake24 wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe everything you read, gents. There are a lot of assumptions going on at the moment.

Like how I keep telling everyone I'm playing Moneypenny in the next one and nobody believes me. Just wait and see.
    edited October 2017 Posts: 15,423
    barryt007 wrote: »

Somebody posted a link to an article as such not too long ago on this thread.

I believe this is a variant of that article. However, @barryt007, it's heavily recommended that you approach it with a pinch of salt. I had to read it myself and it's all just assumptions like Jake said.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/841378/James-Bond-007-Daniel-Craig-Bond-25-Tom-Hardy-Christopher-Nolan
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Like how I keep telling everyone I'm playing Moneypenny in the next one and nobody believes me. Just wait and see.
    No, that is 100% fact.

Somebody posted a link to an article as such not too long ago on this thread.

I believe this is a variant of that article. However, @barryt007, it's heavily recommended that you approach it with a pinch of salt. I had to read it myself and it's all just assumptions like Jake said.

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/841378/James-Bond-007-Daniel-Craig-Bond-25-Tom-Hardy-Christopher-Nolan

Thanks for that @ClarkDevlin ,I will have a little look.
  • edited October 2017 Posts: 4,619
    And I'm still waiting for the evidence @PanchitoPistoles was going to offer me from the leaks.

We know from the leaks that Logan started writing Bond 24 as one movie. So while initially they planned to do Bond 24 and 25 back-to-back, that idea was scrapped before the screenwriting stage. Do you want me to send you all the relevant e-mails in a personal message?

We know from the leaks that Logan started writing Bond 24 as one movie. So while initially they planned to do Bond 24 and 25 back-to-back, that idea was scrapped before the screenwriting stage. Do you want me to send you all the relevant e-mails in a personal message?
    Yes, please. I'd be obliged.
  • Prior to the start of Spectre's filming there was the threat that Eon would be again subject to finding a new backing studio,flipping and flopping for upstart capital without knowing who the distributor would be. Other incidentals were that Purvis & Wade wouldn't come back as script polishers and that Craig would become so disgruntled that he wouldn't commit to the shooting, etc. etc. So, for a while the idea was tossed about that 24 & 25 would be shot back to back securing both Craig & Mendes for the double header. A great incentive, selling point for investors and distributors.
    Shooting Bond films back to back would be tremendously hard work,they aren't the same as the 'average' film.
    Prior to the start of Spectre's filming there was the threat that Eon would be again subject to finding a new backing studio,flipping and flopping for upstart capital without knowing who the distributor would be. Other incidentals were that Purvis & Wade wouldn't come back as script polishers and that Craig would become so disgruntled that he wouldn't commit to the shooting, etc. etc. So, for a while the idea was tossed about that 24 & 25 would be shot back to back securing both Craig & Mendes for the double header. A great incentive, selling point for investors and distributors.
    If I'm reading this correctly, someone was quite prescient in predicting the sorry state of affairs over the past few years a while back (prior to SP's filming). A pity they didn't follow through.
    I just wish these setbacks didn't push the next film away. Otherwise, we would've been having Bond 25 released by early next month.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

Yes, please. I'd be obliged.

Me too please.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited October 2017 Posts: 4,554
    Shooting Bond films back to back would be tremendously hard work,they aren't the same as the 'average' film.

True. But there was almost enough footage shot on SP for two films. I'm not saying SP should have been split in two and released that way--it wasn't structured for it. But I am saying that the time and energy put into SP was enough for two films.

That said...if SP and Bond 25 were meant to be two films, it certainly would explain why the script was a mess. Perhaps it was intended to be two films, and it had to be truncated.
  • There were so many issues that SP faced. Apparently for the principal shoot, the scheduling issues were enormously stressful, several locations had to be dropped. Of course, as we're all aware, in film production time is literally money. I disagree with the previous point that shooting two films back to back would have been more difficult. Look at how Marvel has scheduled two Avengers films back to back, with significantly higher budgets and a huge cast. There's been nary a hiccup. It's all in the organization of logistics, scheduling. As it has been said, "god is in the details."
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I also don't think filming two Bond movies back-to-back would be more difficult than the Lord of the Rings or Marvel movies ... it's just that they do not WANT to do it ... for whatever reasons that may be totally understandable. I am no movie insider at all - just saying that big productions can be done back-to-back and sometimes it's even saving money (see Back To The Future Parts II + III where they said they did it for money reasons)
    I read it and feel none the wiser.
    ColonelSun wrote: »

I feel wiser though. The Guardian perfectly sums up why Denis Villeneuve would be a good choice to direct the next Bond film. I would like to add that this would also make the producers and Daniel Craig happy, which could be a good thing for the overall atmosphere on set.

Add to that Villeneuve's orgasmic remarks from this week, and you shouldn't be surprised that EON is able to succesfully kidnap the man ;-):
    I can’t comment on that,” says Villeneuve. “I know they are talking to a lot of directors.” To take on such a challenge, of course, he would have to succumb to commercial formula for the first time in his career. But it’s a prospect that clearly tempts him. “The thing is, Bond is an old, old wet dream for me,” he admits. “How can you describe it otherwise? It would be an opportunity to approach filmmaking in a pure, playful way. It would be like playing with massive toys. But it all depends on the schedule.

Still, let'ss not forget that a good Bond film always starts with a damn good story. I am longing for the days when the actual screenplay writers get applauded tremendously by the Academy and get an Oscar nomination for that. I think it would be beneficial for the overall finalized product.
  • SkyfallCraigSkyfallCraig Rome, Italy

I feel wiser though. The Guardian perfectly sums up why Denis Villeneuve would be a good choice to direct the next Bond film. I would like to add that this would also make the producers and Daniel Craig happy, which could be a good thing for the overall atmosphere on set.

Add to that Villeneuve's orgasmic remarks from this week, and you shouldn't be surprised that EON is able to succesfully kidnap the man ;-):
    I can’t comment on that,” says Villeneuve. “I know they are talking to a lot of directors.” To take on such a challenge, of course, he would have to succumb to commercial formula for the first time in his career. But it’s a prospect that clearly tempts him. “The thing is, Bond is an old, old wet dream for me,” he admits. “How can you describe it otherwise? It would be an opportunity to approach filmmaking in a pure, playful way. It would be like playing with massive toys. But it all depends on the schedule.

Still, let'ss not forget that a good Bond film always starts with a damn good story. I am longing for the days when the actual screenplay writers get applauded tremendously by the Academy and get an Oscar nomination for that. I think it would be beneficial for the overall finalized product.

Problem for the Academy side is not that the screenplay is not good or the movie is not Oscar-worthy, but that, a part from some very little exeptions, they don't take action films in account.

Problem for the Academy side is not that the screenplay is not good or the movie is not Oscar-worthy, but that, a part from some very little exeptions, they don't take action films in account.

Well, we have the Critics Choise Awards and People's Choice Awards for that no? Also, if action movies are being taken into account full-blown, then what's next? Nominating "Furious 8"? The way I see it is this: You have the critics, Academy members and press.........and you have the people.

Sad thing however is the fact that nowadays critics, media, reviewers, press, the Academy, writers and news outlets....are being treated like dirt. As if every human being on this planet really knows everything, and the 'media' knows nothing. Which by default is not true.

So I don't see the problem really.
    Has Villeneuve seen the more recent films? From his comments here, it appears he is referring to the 70s, which is understandable given his age and what he likely grew up with. "pure, playful" and "massive toys" are not what I would associate with the current iteration.
    It's an interesting article.

The visuals on SF and BR2049 are down to Roger Deakins' genius. He is the link between the two and the key participant to bring on board if they want to recapture SF's box office magic in my view.

Also, while it's true that Villeneuve and Nolan are both visionary film makers, only the latter has delivered box office smashes while being visionary. As I mentioned here some weeks back, Villeneuve is not in that league yet. He is more like Mendes, who struck gold with a captivating conflict at the core of SF. If Villeneuve gets it, I suspect we will have an interesting moral conflict at the centre of B25.
    Has Villeneuve seen the more recent films? From his comments here, it appears he is referring to the 70s, which is understandable given his age and what he likely grew up with. "pure, playful" and "massive toys" are not what I would associate with the current iteration.

I'm not sure. I think in general the Bond franchise is this "pure, playful, massive toy". Regardless of the seriousness of the Craig films, there's still plentiful larger-than-life narrative approach to it. Infused by both Mendes and Campbell. A larger-than-life Silva (with his obsession for caressing Bond's body), a larger-than-life Le Chiffre who's addicted to his benzedrine inhaler, a larger-than-life Blofeld/Oberhauser who likes torturing for the sake of finding analogies with cuckoo birds. And then there's Daniel Craig himself who occasionally still gives us a good laugh when he belittles a villain ("To the right! To the right!). So probably Villeneuve is referring to that.

I have studied Villeneuve's behaviour/body language a bit during interviews, and to me he comes across as a bit nerdy. Like he indeed is a happy little kid playing with 'toys', and speaking a bit too soon before thinking. Sam Mendes however comes across as more serious :-).

So having said that, it's only positive to me that 'little kid' Denis Villeneuve is raving about Bond the way he does. And I think he needs to back off a bit from too dark, dystopian sci-fi projects to find renewed creativity, motivation and vision. Bond #25 could therefore be the perfect project for the man.....and for Her Majesty's Secret Agent James Bond 007 :-).