The Orville (Fox TV, 2017- Present)

MurdockMurdock The minus world
edited September 2017 in General Movies & TV Posts: 16,328
HxJnuR7l.jpg

The Orville is a sci fi show heavily inspired by the likes of Star Trek with humorous flourishes like Galaxy Quest. It's set in the 25th century aboard the Planetary Union ship the USS Orville. Starring Seth MacFarlane as Ed Mercer, Captain of the Orville. Adrianne Palicki as Commander Kelly Grayson, the first officer of the Orville and Ed Mercer's ex-wife. Former Star Trek: Deep Space Nine actress Penny Johnson Jerald as Dr. Claire Finn, as the Chief Medical Officer on the Orville. Scott Grimes as Lt. Gordon Malloy, the helmsman of the Orville and Mercer's best friend. Peter Macon as Lt. Commander Bortus, the second officer aboard the U.S.S. Orville. Halston Sage as Lt. Alara Kitan, the Orville's 23-year-old Chief of Security. J. Lee as Lt. John LaMarr, the navigator of the Orville. And Mark Jackson as the voice of Isaac, the Orville's Science and Engineering Officer.

As I've mentioned in other threads, This series is essentially a more lighthearted humorous spin on the classic Star Trek formula however It's also not afraid to take risks and discuss topical issues like Star Trek does. So it's nice to see The Orville is more than just a comedic spin on Star Trek tropes and shows it's more than willing to sink it's teeth into something a little more serious without having to sacrifice much. I highly recommend the the show to anyone who hasn't watched it yet or people on the fence about watching it.

It's on Thursdays on Fox at 9:00 P.M.

Happy Arbor Day. ;)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    The first ep did not wow me, but I liked it enough to see the second. The second I actually liked a lot, so I watched the third, and THAT wowed me.
    I like that they explore issues, I like that it's not just space battle after space battle, and I like the general positive energy I get from the show.
    Thumbs up.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well said @chrisisall, I liked the first episode but I wasn't really a fan of the jokes. I enjoyed Episode 2 much better and was very surprised with episode 3 with it's moral tale it told. Very well done. I really enjoyed episode 4 as well. It was a nice homage to The original series episode. "For the World is hollow and I have touched the sky." I'm really looking forward to next week's episode with Charlize Theron. :-bd

Also I really have to point out, The music for this show is great. It's got that classic 90's Trek bombastic and sweeping orchestral score. I love it. Last night's episode evoked Jerry Goldsmith's music for Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I really hope a soundtrack for this series gets released. I'd listen to it in a heartbeat. :)
    I like that I can come away from an episode with a smile. Think back to Trek TOS- sometimes it was happy, sometimes serious, and occasionally hilarious.
    Relentless dark stuff is the disease; Orville is the cure. ;)
    YES! That's it exactly! Every episode has left me smiling ear to ear, It just brings me joy seeing this formula being updated and keeping the optimistic spirit of Star Trek. Dark and gritty can be fine once in a blue moon but It's just worn me out so much lately that I'm happy to see the brightly lit space ships and the bright colored uniforms of different colors. The optimistic fun future is back. :D
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    It has to be said that Seth is a HUGE Star Trek fan known and loved in the Trek Community.

It's his love letter to ST.

Alone for this I love this show. I love Seth anyway.
    I haven't been a fan of Seth MacFarlane's brand of humor in recent years so it was very refreshing to go into the Orville. I am hooked. Jonathan Frakes will be directing next week's episode and it was announced that Patrick Stewart will be having a guest spot on the show soon. Looking forward to that.
    Orville's going great, and it's only getting' better... It's doing all right, getting great grades-
    Orville's future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
    Agreed. It is getting better every episode. The production levels are fantastic, I love the Orville's interior set design, I love the colors of it all. Great looking show. The CGI is also fantastic. It's cinema quality. I hope we get to see an engine room set soon.
    You must have read that for beauty shots of the Orville they use an actual model- Seth insisted on it. So cool.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    You must have read that for beauty shots of the Orville they use an actual model- Seth insisted on it. So cool.

Oh yes! I read that recently, It blew my mind so I'm happy they are using practical effects as well as digital. It looks flawless. :-bd
    I want that model now. ;)
    Me too and a model of the shuttle, It's a beautiful design.
  • Going to watch episode 3 and 4 tonight!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I'm really enjoying it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I'm really enjoying it.

Are you from the UK mate?
    You can also stream episodes of The Orville On Hulu. https://www.hulu.com/the-orville
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Unfortunately I can't get Hulu in the UK, checked Amazon Instant video The Orville not on that to buy yet. Sky Fox channel will get it though still no air date I suspect it will be next year now.
  • I'm at 30 mins out 43 mins of episode 3. I.....find it difficult to watch.
    In a good or bad way?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Episode 4, is pure old school Star Trek
    Seth obviously loves ST.
    Just watched ep 4. Agree with @Thunderpussy- it's golden. The really great thing about The Orville is that since it's not officially 'Trek', it can re-explore some of the same ideas in its own way. With humour, of course. I'm lovin' it. I'm a dick (a compliment to myself). ;)
    edited September 2017 Posts: 16,328
    Spoilers related to Episode 4.
    How about that Liam Neeson cameo? It took me by surprise. :O
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited September 2017 Posts: 9,020
    Seth understands ST. He loves it obsessively.
    Orville knocks STD out on all levels.

This is already becoming my favourite show of this decade.

Archer started 2009 he he....

Just had the craziest though! They have to make an Orville Archer episode!!!
    Murdock wrote: »

Yeah, I almost fell off my sofa... ;)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »

Yeah, I almost fell off my sofa... ;)

I haven't been that surprised by TV in a long time. :))
    Yeah, biggest Wait, WHAT? moment for me in quite a while. ;)
    I admit I even geeked out a bit. It was so awesome. As short and sweet as it was. :D
    Will this be a trend? Like on the 60's Batman?
    It looks like it's going to be. :-bd
    My Son & I are about to watch the first ep to see what he thinks.