Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Ludovico wrote: »
    jobo wrote: »
    Don't know if it is controversial, it's not even directly related to Bond, but my mother-in-law said this recently: "Sean Bean can do no wrong."

Honestly I think he did much wrong as Trevelyan. He never really felt natural and genuin in the part for me.

I thought he was great in it, although too young for the role. The character had some flaws but this was no fault of Bean. And of all the villains of the Brosnan era he is by far the most menacing and it's mainly due to Bean's presence.
    Bean was easily the Brosnan era's best villain. In the theatre in 1995 I recall thinking that they seemed to be going for a slightly updated version of the LTK *"This time it's personal"* approach with GE, but with younger participants than Dalton/Davi. Bean was age appropriate for Brosnan, and had recently come off an excellent performance as the villain in Patriot Games, where he made quite an impression.
    Don't know if it is controversial, it's not even directly related to Bond, but my mother-in-law said this recently: "Sean Bean can do no wrong."

Honestly I think he did much wrong as Trevelyan. He never really felt natural and genuin in the part for me.

I thought he was great in it, although too young for the role. The character had some flaws but this was no fault of Bean. And of all the villains of the Brosnan era he is by far the most menacing and it's mainly due to Bean's presence.

It might not be Bean but the dialogue that is to blame, but he comes off as very theatrical during his many lectures through out the film. It should never feel like the actor is reading from a script during a movie, but with Trevelyan it does.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    In my humble opinion I would prefer if we could stop ending every opinion stated with pointing out it is a personal humble opinion. In my humble opinion every opinion regarding Bond, and in my humble opinion, infact any film in general, will be subjective anyway. So in my humble opinion there is really no need to state what is in my humble opinion pretty obvious, namely that all the opinions I share here are indeed my own. In my humble opinion it is both redundant and tiresome having to see 'my humble opinion' being reiterated again and again.

Humbly noted. :)
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I think people give TMWTGG not enough credit. The film looks a lot better than the previous two. Maybe Ted Moore was getting a bit long in the teeth and was the inclusion of Oswald Morris TMWTGG's blessing. It had a lot more colour and a more exotic feel.

Also, the excellent production design by Peter Murton is regretfully forgotten by many. The MI6 offices in the stranded ship is the forerunner of Adam's improvised MI6 HQ's abroad in the following episodes.

Furthermore, I absolutely love Scaramanga's funhouse. It's one-third German Expressionism, one third Italian giallo and one third House of Wax. As a horror fan, it is obviously one of my favourite villain lairs.

The ship was good but I wasn't overly impressed with Scaramanga's funhouse. The only reason I like it at all is because it set a tense duel between Bond and Scaramanga; the design itself wins points for its eccentricity but not much else. Some of the shots of the walls make it look like an aquarium.

It might've also been the transports used, like the AMC cars. I don't mind it myself, but you can see what I mean when you compare them to the more "traditional" Bond cars.

But you might be right in saying that TMWTGG looked better than the last two. My complaints with TMWTGG do involve the aesthetic, but to a much lesser degree. It's mostly the plotline which falls into total disarray, and the excessive cheap humour. There's a huge segment of the film where the plot doesn't really move and it feels thrown in just to pass the time with a few laughs for the sake of it.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    SF seemed to be an attempt to balance elements of the formula with the approach the Craig films had been taking. SP went even further towards classic Bond, yet the the personal Craig era elements seem really forced.

@ToTheRight Exactly. That's because those personal elements stand in stark contrast to what classic screen Bond historically was; escapist fantasy starring an untouchable hero with relatively flat character-a bit of jovial fun. Save for a few deviations like OHMSS, which were special because they were brief, momentary deviations, we didn't know or give a toss about Bond's personal issues. The two styles don't mix, and the current emotional style is not Bondian IMO.

Well said. In many ways I find the character more 3-dimensional pre-Craig simply because the character was so well established in the first three films, even without a backstory. We knew exactly who he was, what he was, his tastes and attitudes as well as skills.
    Connery and Moore, both in particular, gave Bond personality, and maintained it even as the films progressed more into fantasy. The personal elements were subtle, yet, at least to me, all the more effective for it. Connery's reaction when finding Jill, or Roger's when Anya brings up Tracy and so forth.

SF seemed to be an attempt to balance elements of the formula with the approach the Craig films had been taking. SP went even further towards classic Bond, yet the the personal Craig era elements seem really forced.

@ToTheRight Exactly. That's because those personal elements stand in stark contrast to what classic screen Bond historically was; escapist fantasy starring an untouchable hero with relatively flat character-a bit of jovial fun. Save for a few deviations like OHMSS, which were special because they were brief, momentary deviations, we didn't know or give a toss about Bond's personal issues. The two styles don't mix, and the current emotional style is not Bondian IMO.

If you give the Bond character some depth once in a while that's fine but just don't overdo it.

It worked in OHMSS and LTK because it came unexpectedly. There is a 20 year gap between these films as well which makes a more emotional Bond feel fresh.

Do it four films in a row and it becomes tiresome to the point that the film loses its energy.

Exactly. It almost becomes a soap opera and is no longer fresh. It's likely for the filmmakers to write themselves into a corner and become baffled as where to take the character next............which is where I think the series is at now.

Well said. In many ways I find the character more 3-dimensional pre-Craig simply because the character was so well established in the first three films, even without a backstory. We knew exactly who he was, what he was, his tastes and attitudes as well as skills.
    Connery and Moore, both in particular, gave Bond personality, and maintained it even as the films progressed more into fantasy. The personal elements were subtle, yet, at least to me, all the more effective for it. Connery's reaction when finding Jill, or Roger's when Anya brings up Tracy and so forth.

If you give the Bond character some depth once in a while that's fine but just don't overdo it.

It worked in OHMSS and LTK because it came unexpectedly. There is a 20 year gap between these films as well which makes a more emotional Bond feel fresh.

Do it four films in a row and it becomes tiresome to the point that the film loses its energy.

Exactly. It almost becomes a soap opera and is no longer fresh. It's likely for the filmmakers to write themselves into a corner and become baffled as where to take the character next............which is where I think the series is at now.
    Regrettably I must agree wholeheartedly with both your observations @ToTheRight .
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I seem to be the only one but I think Craig's last two weren't that serious at all. Perhaps it's because of that 'personal' angle and family theme people get so serious about it, but for me these are the lighter two. In CR Bond falls in love and is betrayed. In QoS he finds redemtion (for me, still excellently done, one of the best films). SF and SP are just missions in a layer of personal connections. SF was just a vehicle to honour M, and especially Dench's M, which I think was very nicely done. The plot could've been a bit lass Batman, but still. SP Bond is just going after a lunatic who connects everything and makes himself bigger then he is. Madeleine's nothing more then a fleeting interest, a beautiful girl to ride off into the sunset with, as Bond has done so many times before.

So where's all the drama? I'm somehow not too fond of SP, as it's a bit of a mess story wise, but I don't see it as 'Neighbours - the battle' series or anything like that.
    @CommanderRoss, I agree with you to an extent. Yes, the first two are more about Craig's personal journey and emotional effects of love.

SF is more about M's comeuppance than it is about Bond (which is why I enjoy it so much).

SP is ostensibly about Spectre, but sadly they tied in the personal angle. Sure, Craig tries to brush it off (like he did the Vesper interrogation tape) and appear unfazed by it all, but the fact remains that Blofeld has a childhood connection to his Bond, and Smith's whiny title song suggests that he is torn inside about his life and Madeliene's effect on him, despite attempts by Craig Bond to not show any emotional connection to her ("you're leaving"?). So ultimately I think that is what is impacting some (including my own) perceptions of where we stand.
    bondjames wrote: »

Bean was easily the Brosnan era's best villain. In the theatre in 1995 I recall thinking that they seemed to be going for a slightly updated version of the LTK *"This time it's personal"* approach with GE, but with younger participants than Dalton/Davi. Bean was age appropriate for Brosnan, and had recently come off an excellent performance as the villain in Patriot Games, where he made quite an impression.

And Brosnan's youthful actually serves him here. A mature looking Bond would have come off as an amateur. Bean just has enough authority and maturity to pass as a seasoned villain.

@jobo I don't mind at all a theatrical villain in Bond movies, in fact larger than life villains work better and are very Fleming. There's such hatred in Trevelyan's tone of voice, such venom. He never comes off as petulant or comedic.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    @Bondjames Perhaps. I never really listen to the lyrics of the theme songs at all, as they most often at best distort the film's story. I agree on the family angle which I dislike, it makes both Bond and Blofeld weaker for it, but I don't think it should be as important as it's made out to be here. We'll see though, the next film will either reference to it (then it IS important) or it won't (then it isn't that important).
    People have to remember that Bond didn't go looking for Madeleine at the end,it was Blofeld who brought Bond to Madeleine.

If that didn't happen then she would have walked off and Bond would shrug and get on with mission ,as indeed he did.

So,he isn't that bothered about her,which is why she doesn't need to be in the film or even mentioned.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    People have to remember that Bond didn't go looking for Madeleine at the end,it was Blofeld who brought Bond to Madeleine.

If that didn't happen then she would have walked off and Bond would shrug and get on with mission ,as indeed he did.

So,he isn't that bothered about her,which is why she doesn't need to be in the film or even mentioned.

But he did choose to not shoot Blofeld for her, to prove that he wasn't like her father. As much as I'd like for the next film to make no mention of her or the disastrous ending of SP, I fear we'll get just the opposite.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I just think they have pushed Craig's Bond so far into a corner now. Even more than Brosnan's Bond was.

I honestly cant wait to see a change of actor, and what will hopefully bring a fresh approach. This is no fault of Craig's. It's the producers, who let a so called auteur loose on the last two films.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

And Brosnan's youthful actually serves him here. A mature looking Bond would have come off as an amateur. Bean just has enough authority and maturity to pass as a seasoned villain.

Exactly, no need for a Bond Begins and yet his youth still works, would have been the same in CR.

@Roadphill I agree!
    Roadphill wrote: »
    I just think they have pushed Craig's Bond so far into a corner now. Even more than Brosnan's Bond was.

I honestly cant wait to see a change of actor, and what will hopefully bring a fresh approach. This is no fault of Craig's. It's the producers, who let a so called auteur loose on the last two films.

This is why we need workman directors who treat the film like a job that they are doing for the Bond series, rather than their own work to do with as they please.

This is why we need workman directors who treat the film like a job that they are doing for the Bond series, rather than their own work to do with as they please.

Both yes and no. It's a balance thing. A director with zero drive or creative output is not good either
    I do have one controversial opinion. Lewis Gilbert and his second unit had, at least visually, the strongest direction of any in the series.

The vehicular action scenes in his movies particularly, where wonderfully shot.
    Absolutely agree. Second best Bond director after Young in my book. I believe it was Gilbert who compared directing a Bond to being the general of an army, and this he did extremely well. Bringing in and working with the best was part of that (the extraordinary 3 DPs that shot his films, along with having Ken Adam on board).

I've mentioned it before, but I'd have loved him to say yes to coming back for FYEO. Each of his three were larger-than-life, and I think it could've been really interesting seeing what he did with a small scale film.
    Furthermore, I absolutely love Scaramanga's funhouse. It's one-third German Expressionism, one third Italian giallo and one third House of Wax. As a horror fan, it is obviously one of my favourite villain lairs.
    I've never thought of it that way, but you're right.

I've never really paused to appreciate the production design in that film, but now you mention it, it is very good.

Both yes and no. It's a balance thing. A director with zero drive or creative output is not good either

True. When writing my post I had a particular workman in mind; Martin Campbell.

Campbell has allegedly been high on the priority list ever since Goldeneye. However he is repetedly turning the job down. It's a shame.

Exactly, no need for a Bond Begins and yet his youth still works, would have been the same in CR.

@Roadphill I agree!

Not sure what you mean by that. Brosnan still youthful when CR was made? Or they could have done away with Bond being new in CR, whoever played Bond? Either way I don't think so.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 15,850

True. I think the A-list directors of their time: Forster, Mendes, in a way have done more damage to the franchise in that now it seems it has set a new standard for EON. I fear we may only be getting current A listers with their own agendas from now on. With the Blade Runner director being a front runner of names touted I can almost rest my case.
    This is why I far prefer Cubby's method of promoting from within. Hunt knew Bond inside and out formula wise, yet could deviate by making a faithful adaptation of OHMSS that still very much felt like a Bond film. It's a Bond masterpiece IMO. Likewise, John Glen paid his dues and directed some of my most watched Bonds. By comparison, I rarely pop in QoS or the Mendes films.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain

Campbell has allegedly been high on the priority list ever since Goldeneye. However he is repetedly turning the job down. It's a shame.

He is? I had no idea!

True. I think the A-list directors of their time: Forster, Mendes, in a way have done more damage to the franchise in that now it seems it has set a new standard for EON. I fear we may only getting current A listers with their own agendas from now on. With the Blade Runner director being a front runner of names touted I can almost rest my case.

But do you think they will ever go back to workman directors? Personally, I suppose they will, but first, audiences will have to grow tired of the more artsy, introspective vibe of the recent films. I figure if it's already happening in a place like this, it will eventually happen with your average moviegoer. And as someone pointed out somewhere else, there is a disconnect between the tone of the recent Bond films and the tone of certain ads made to promote them, which clearly present a lighter, funnier take on Bond, akin to the Bond of yesteryear. Perhaps that hints at a longing-- an acknowledgment that there is, on some level, a need for a less dramatic type of film, closer to the style of the 1962-2002 era, and closer to the quintessential type of Bond film.
    They'll change it up once they recast. Where we are now is a function of Craig. The next actor may have a different approach. Having said that, Cubby was more hands on and more regimented in his approach. More disciplined & in control. It appears to me that Babs has given Craig quite a long leash and is to some extent now dependent on his involvement. She will have to recalibrate once he moves on, or else beg him back for one more after B25, which I'm quite certain will also be artsy to some degree,
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I agree on Forster, but when I watch SF and particuarly SP I get the impression that they're made by someone who was excited to be making a Bond film. He put his own stamp on it sure but I think the directors should do that. Glen is probably my favourite Bond director, he made some great Bond films and was unmatched when it came to action scenes, but I don't think that same journeyman approach would work well nowadays simply because films are different. Glen's films are straightforward, to the point action thrillers but they're really a product of their time. I don't know what it is, maybe this is all in my head and I'm just talking bollocks, but a lot of straightforward action films today always feel blander imo compared to the 80s/90s. That charm isn't there, look at the Marvel movies for example. There are exceptions but a lot of those are straight to DVD or even the ones that are released in the cinema tend to be fairly low budget, and Bond is a big studio production and I don't really have faith that a production as big as Bond could deliver old fashioned straight forward action film like Glen's Bonds anymore. Instead I think we'd end up with something more akin to the superhero films that are being churned out. So I'd prefer directors who take risks with it because if they got a workman like director today I think we'd end up with something dull and lacking a real sense of energy or memorability.

We can get something more straightforward without a workman like director though. Look at the John Wick movies or Atomic Blonde for example. High budget straightforward (by that I mean focus on story on action instead of any deeper themes or character drama) action films and thrillers are still out there but nowadays the good ones are usually made by more controlling (not sure what the best word to use is, individual?) directors. Journeyman were fine back in the 80s but you don't get directors like Glen anymore imo. If we got a journeyman director now I think it'd be a bad move because the current aesthetic/formula for blockbusters just isn't the same as it was back then, so best to get someone who will deviate from it or at least do it stylishly and differently.
    mattjoes wrote: »

He is? I had no idea!

True. I think the A-list directors of their time: Forster, Mendes, in a way have done more damage to the franchise in that now it seems it has set a new standard for EON. I fear we may only getting current A listers with their own agendas from now on. With the Blade Runner director being a front runner of names touted I can almost rest my case.

But do you think they will ever go back to workman directors? Personally, I suppose they will, but first, audiences will have to grow tired of the more artsy, introspective vibe of the recent films. I figure if it's already happening in a place like this, it will eventually happen with your average moviegoer. And as someone pointed out somewhere else, there is a disconnect between the tone of the recent Bond films and the tone of certain ads made to promote them, which clearly present a lighter, funnier take on Bond, akin to the Bond of yesteryear. Perhaps that hints at a longing-- an acknowledgment that there is, on some level, a need for a less dramatic type of film, closer to the style of the 1962-2002 era, and closer to the quintessential type of Bond film.

I do hope so. At this point a workman director could really re-energize the series and bring back a level of classic Bond excitement. I'd love a return to pure entertainment with a fun Bond film that includes some dramatic tension, thrills, true stunt work, a solid caper for the villain, and interesting characters for Bond to interact with. Glen and Gilbert both were masters at bringing those elements to Bond. A workman director along those lines I'd be thrilled with.
    I do like the Craig films, and at the time seemed like an interesting direction, but now (all these years and gaps later), I really do miss the 1962-2002 period.
    I suppose if EON hires another prestigious name to direct B25, it will give an indication on either the series' future or finish. I speculate what workman directors are out there currently who might be right for Bond.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Forster rocked Bond. Bring him back!
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    That would actually be awesome, @chrisisall. Minus a writers' strike and dropped action sequences.
    Just add David Arnold.
    That would actually be awesome, @chrisisall. Minus a writers' strike and dropped action sequences.
    Just add David Arnold.

Sadly, the die is cast, and neither Forster nor Arnold will be involved. This might be the end of good Bond movies... or it might be a fantastic last Craig Bond... no knowing at this point.

• echoecho 007 in New York
    In my humble opinion I would prefer if we could stop ending every opinion stated with pointing out it is a personal humble opinion. In my humble opinion every opinion regarding Bond, and in my humble opinion, infact any film in general, will be subjective anyway. So in my humble opinion there is really no need to state what is in my humble opinion pretty obvious, namely that all the opinions I share here are indeed my own. In my humble opinion it is both redundant and tiresome having to see 'my humble opinion' being reiterated again and again.

Humbly noted. :)
    I think people give TMWTGG not enough credit. The film looks a lot better than the previous two. Maybe Ted Moore was getting a bit long in the teeth and was the inclusion of Oswald Morris TMWTGG's blessing. It had a lot more colour and a more exotic feel.

Also, the excellent production design by Peter Murton is regretfully forgotten by many. The MI6 offices in the stranded ship is the forerunner of Adam's improvised MI6 HQ's abroad in the following episodes.

The ship was good but I wasn't overly impressed with Scaramanga's funhouse. The only reason I like it at all is because it set a tense duel between Bond and Scaramanga; the design itself wins points for its eccentricity but not much else. Some of the shots of the walls make it look like an aquarium.

It might've also been the transports used, like the AMC cars. I don't mind it myself, but you can see what I mean when you compare them to the more "traditional" Bond cars.

But you might be right in saying that TMWTGG looked better than the last two. My complaints with TMWTGG do involve the aesthetic, but to a much lesser degree. It's mostly the plotline which falls into total disarray, and the excessive cheap humour. There's a huge segment of the film where the plot doesn't really move and it feels thrown in just to pass the time with a few laughs for the sake of it.

I find the photography in TMWTGG so flat. Compare Thailand in this movie with Thailand in TND. Or the fun house with the interiors of Piz Gloria or even Williard Whyte's penthouse. Visually, the film is just boring.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Why is Arnold a sure no?

I was wondering the same.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Why is Arnold a sure no?

I was wondering the same.

Because I want him to... ;)