Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

• On the topic of Spectre, I may have an odd opinion: I agree with very nearly every criticism of the film (brother nonsense, goofy Judi Dench cameo, unconvincing love declaration, etc) but I absolutely love it and consider it a top ten Bond. I have no idea exactly why.

I agree. I find myself criticising it a lot on here but I do love it. It's top five for me. They finally seemed to realise that you can still have a fleshed out human Bond in a fun OTT film and it had pretty much everything I'd been asking for since CR. It's way more flawed than my other favourites, so I think it's probably just a case of the good stuff being so good I can forgive those flaws.
    On the topic of Spectre, I may have an odd opinion: I agree with very nearly every criticism of the film (brother nonsense, goofy Judi Dench cameo, unconvincing love declaration, etc) but I absolutely love it and consider it a top ten Bond. I have no idea exactly why.

I agree. I find myself criticising it a lot on here but I do love it. It's top five for me. They finally seemed to realise that you can still have a fleshed out human Bond in a fun OTT film and it had pretty much everything I'd been asking for since CR. It's way more flawed than my other favourites, so I think it's probably just a case of the good stuff being so good I can forgive those flaws.

Well the answer is purely that you both are Bond fans,and everyone likes different films,so good luck to you...i dont mind it ,its #12 in my rankings...
    On the topic of Spectre, I may have an odd opinion: I agree with very nearly every criticism of the film (brother nonsense, goofy Judi Dench cameo, unconvincing love declaration, etc) but I absolutely love it and consider it a top ten Bond. I have no idea exactly why.

Make that three. I think I forgive its flaws merely because Spectre and Blofeld are back.

On the topic of Blofeld with all his flaws and the stepbrother notwithstanding I find Waltz's incarnation to be better than all of the ones that show their face and yes this includes Savalas'.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    @GoldenGun Completely agree. DAD knew what it was, and rolled with the punches, so to speak.

SP on the other hand is a sheep dressed in wolves clothing. It manages to be both pretentious and goofy at the same time. A rare feat indeed. It combined the worst of DAD and SF together.

Babs and co now have one more chance to salvage Craig's tenure, CR not withstanding.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 11,189
    But im not entirely sure DAD did know what film it wanted to be. By the end, it's almost a completely different film to how it started.

SP does try to be a bit of everything and yes gets too sllly at times. But it doesn't reach the spectacularly ridiculous levels of DAD.

However, I do think It's done quite a lot of damage to Craig's run.
    To be honest Craig's run has been damaged since QOS. CR was a great, top 7 effort, but I haven't enjoyed any of the others particularly.

Far too much 'Navel gazing'. Way too pretentious. Constantly going back and forth from an action scene to Mi6 Hq, where either one of the M's, Moneypenny or Q are talking Bond through something or surveying the scene. Weak climaxes. Sub par motivations for the villains.

It really hit home to me how far things have dropped since CR when we got the Randall(Bond) and Hopkirk deceased(Dench's M) scene from SP.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    But im not entirely sure DAD did know what film it wanted to be. By the end, it's almost a completely different film to how it started.

SP does try to be a bit of everything and yes gets too sllly at times. But it doesn't reach the spectacularly ridiculous levels of DAD.

I'm sorry but nothing has ever been as terrible as revealing Blofeld as Bond's foster brother. I would take an invisible Vanquish over that any time.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Constantly going back and forth from an action scene to Mi6 Hq, where either one of the M's, Moneypenny or Q are talking Bond through something or surveying the scene.
    It's a good point about the 'scene cuts' to MI6 HQ, with some clown/bureaucrat looking at a screen or set of screens. This thing has become a huge cliche since the Bourne days, although arguably it began with Brosnan in GE/TND.

I was just thinking the other day that I really would appreciate if we don't get scenes like that in B25.
    --
    I find it just as ridiculous, but not in an in your face cartoonish manner. The difference is it thinks it's being smart. I don't think that the Craig universe works well with the tropes or the OTT elements of the old days for one, but additionally some of the scenes in the latest film just take me out of it every time. Mads/Bond jumping each other post-Hinx fight, the threat to leave in London (bloody cringeworthy acting and line delivery by both), the building collapse and of course 'Superman' post-drill.
    --
    Babs and co now have one more chance to salvage Craig's tenure, CR not withstanding.
    From my perspective at least, the damage has been irreparable to his iteration's credibility, which was pretty much all he had as a gritty reboot take - hence my enthusiasm for B26 and a soft-reboot.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Far too much 'Navel gazing'. Way too pretentious. Constantly going back and forth from an action scene to Mi6 Hq, where either one of the M's, Moneypenny or Q are talking Bond through something or surveying the scene. Weak climaxes. Sub par motivations for the villains.

You could write that on the Craig era tombstone.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think how large or small a misstep SP was, will be judged appropriately only after B25 is released and assessed as an individual film, and a film that will close off the Craig era.

As it stands, I'm personally very happy with this era, especially from CR-SF... If Bond 25 proves to be a gritty and organic ending to DC's run, SP will look like the hiccup it was-- the crazy-artsy-pseudo-Freudian and, one-helluva sexy-looking-lit-and-costumed misfire that it is.

If B25 is crap and fails in all of its efforts (to be a kick ass Bond film, a kick ass action film, a great piece of character work for DC and, being able to tie all threads together (and brush under the carpet the blunders of the previous film)), then I will re-assess the era.

I may be an optimist, but I think all the players in this know how important this film is; how risky it was, creatively, bringing back DC and; the baggage of the last film, but they did it anyways. Why?

Because they think they can do better. DC himself hinted as much!

So, I will (blindly) not judge this era until it's over; at present, I have three, top eight films that have come out of DC's run (one of them is a top one, or two, or three film, depending on my mood; the other is top three to five, depending on my mood)), and one, that probably, and magically, and undeservedly, somehow sits in my top twelve or fifteen. But looking at those first three films, I am happy to say it's the best since the Connery era-- and he had a misfire or two as well (although looked upon with fonder glasses as time passes by (I am guilty of this as well)).

Moore had TMWGG mis-fire (although I have always enjoyed it, "moore-so" now), and recovered with TSWLM...

I've got to believe that DC and Co will bounce back out of necessity-- they know they have to!!
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Not sure if this is the right thread for it but I realised why the comedy jars me in TMWTGG moreso than it does in Moore's other entries (save some of MR). The issue with TMWTGG is that it's comedy happens to be central to moving the plot along, which I don't like. Something like the pigeon double-take in MR is harmless because it's just an extra layer after the scene's essentially been already finished. Hip driving off with his nieces actually alters the plot, which is why I find it a bit more grating. I prefer it when Bond's comedy is superfluous; for me the line between "too much" and "alright" is whether or not it impacts on the story itself.
    @peter, it won't be difficult to do better than the last effort, I think most objective parties would agree. Ultimately for me this is a question of credibility. This era established that early on and then went out of its way to debase and ruin it (in my view). Due to the interconnected nature of the stories, it's unlikely they can recover that for me to extent that they had it before the last outing.

However, they're not incompetent and they have a decent (if aging) lead who has one more in him. So I'm quite certain I'll be able to enjoy the film (it is Bond, my favourite franchise after all!), but from my perspective at least, this era's position in the pantheon has been irreparably harmed on account of B24. I enjoyed the first 3 and have 2 in my top 10, but it hasn't been worth the waits for me.

After a decade, I look forward anxiously to the new take (hopefully in 2021 but most likely 2022).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @bondjames, I do not want "good" for the next film. I don't want the idea that "crap + 1= better than SP"-- Nor am I expecting it...

--Out of necessity, to make this franchise viable in a crowded market, B25 has to be a powerhouse.

I'm not saying it has to be CR 2.0.

But it has to have the same effort as CR.

It has to be so strong, a tsunami that thunders and crashes into us, to rectify the mistakes of the last film.

I think they realize this. They're smarter and richer than me, and they know the last film, with a great leading man, wasn't a success-- no matter what the box-office said.

I think, as an ignorant fan, they know better than me; that the stakes, and bringing DC back (the only viable Bond at the moment), was a risk , but; also words of anticipation: we're gonna get the last one right.

Not crap + 1... But... something more, because they need something more. And every time this company needed more, they have always done it....

... IMHO...

P

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Tsunami. Careful, there.

surfboard-perfect-hi.png
  • OK then, along the lines of the above discussion, here's one for you:

SP - regardless of how you feel about the finished product - assembles the most talent (on both sides of the camera) that a Bond film has ever had.

runner-up? OHMSS.
  • edited September 2017 Posts: 1,469
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    I'm sorry but nothing has ever been as terrible as revealing Blofeld as Bond's foster brother. I would take an invisible Vanquish over that any time.
    You make a good point, one that I hadn't thought about before, because I like SP a lot, though I'm guessing it's been discussed here a lot before. It's quite a coincidence, their being related. I say this is the fault of the writers, who couldn't come up with a better script, and many of us have discussed other faults of theirs before. And that's why I wish they weren't returning for the next film or any future Bond films. But this is another case where suspension of disbelief has its value.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited September 2017 Posts: 6,730
    Die Another Day is the most video game-like film of the entire series, but I don't think that's a problem; it would only be one if they had stuck to that style in successive entries. I don't mind the invisible car, because the film, once it reaches Iceland, becomes over-the-top and exaggerated enough that the car does not seem out of place. For comparison's sake, if you had had Craig escaping from Hinx with it --or even Brosnan himself using it in the car park in TND-- it would've felt a bit ridiculous, but in DAD, with ice palaces, DNA modification, etc., it feels at home. The film has its share of weaknesses --an inconsistent tone, comparatively uninteresting second half, some unconvincing plot points--, but I don't think the car --a clearly unlikely, but nevertheless possible concept-- is one of them.

The foster brother idea is definitely a more harmful one. It affects several films and makes the plot of the Craig era all about Bond himself, instead of the mission. Now Bond is part of the mission, in the craziest, most unlikely way! Not good. I'm not closely familiar with Spectre's production history, but this was Mendes' idea, right? (And therefore not the primary fault of the screenwriters.) If that is the case, I must say that, listening to Sam Mendes talking about it, for me it's not that difficult to see how he got everybody on board with the concept, since he describes it in such a way that it almost seems like some sort of allegorical, in-depth, profound exploration of Bond's past. (Which it's not, of course.)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    One of the problems with SP is, it messes up the 'givens'.

- the relationship between Mallory and Bond. In SF it's Mallory covering Bond whilst he 'kidnaps' M (finlly beeing 'the worm on the hook'herself) but we start out with Bond not trusting M(allory) at all. Why wouldn't he show that video to him? Instead making an offensive quip?

- M's position, from head of MI6 now, after a merger, down to head of the 00-section (eh, programme????). With C as a new top boss? So what happened to everybody else at MI6? And yes, C may have been introduced as 'connected to the PM', but he seems in no way the top civil servant you'd expect. Instead, it's a worm of a guy who'd never survive in any civil service.

These two I find far more frustrating then stepbrothergate. They make a mess of the story and of the thread. Indeed, with Mallory beeing the bad guy it would've made more sense, at least the film and Bond's behaviour would've, but they made that as good as impossible at the end of the previous film.

Th worst thing is, the writers of DAD and SP are back.....
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The foster brother idea is definitely a more harmful one. It affects several films and makes the plot of the Craig era all about Bond himself, instead of the mission. Now Bond is part of the mission, in the craziest, most unlikely way! Not good. I'm not closely familiar with Spectre's production history, but this was Mendes' idea, right? (And therefore not the primary fault of the screenwriters.) If that is the case, I must say that, listening to Sam Mendes talking about it, for me it's not that difficult to see how he got everybody on board with the concept, since he describes it in such a way that it almost seems like some sort of allegorical, in-depth, profound exploration of Bond's past. (Which it's not, of course.)
    Actually, Mendes could have intended for it to be far more profound. I posted this link on the "Will SP Be More Appreciated" thread last week. It's a discussion between two 'popmatters' contributors, one who dislikes SP immensely and another who loves it.

The 'lover' suggests that Blofeld's connection to Bond exists on a character level as much as it does on a plot level. He further suggests that Mendes intended for Blofeld to be Bond's mirror image. According to him, the tonal tension between 'camp' and 'serious' Bond which many of us experienced is 'intentional', and there to reconcile reboot Bond with old school Bond. A sort of wrenching shift. When Bond doesn't kill Blofeld on the bridge, the transformation is complete. Old Bond is back. Gritty, grumpy Bond is dead.

It's a fascinating read, but it works better if one looks at SP as Craig's last.

http://www.popmatters.com/feature/the-flipside-6-spectre/
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I'll give it a read, though of course, any thematic significance the concept may have doesn't redeem, on a plot level, the idea of Bond and Blofeld being foster brothers. A plot --a Bond plot-- shouldn't be built on this big a coincidence merely to support the theme of the film. As I said in another thread, my impression of the Mendes films is that the story is built around the themes, instead of the other way around, which is best for Bond, in my opinion. Lucky me that despite such a big misstep I find Spectre to be so much fun.
  • Watching Goldfinger...I'm not sure I can picture anyone but Connery kissing that dancer and then immediately using her as a shield to take the hit from the club. I think the same applies to Volpe's death in TB. Connery makes the moment in GF and TB, both in body language and in line delivery.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I agree with you, although I know it's not the popular opinion. Fiennes only has one more film in him most likely, so it's not like he's going to be a Lee like continuing figure in the series.
    Why only one more film for Fiennes? Dench stayed in the role for nearly 20 years.
    Milovy wrote: »
    I agree with you, although I know it's not the popular opinion. Fiennes only has one more film in him most likely, so it's not like he's going to be a Lee like continuing figure in the series.
    Why only one more film for Fiennes? Dench stayed in the role for nearly 20 years.
    Fiennes stays if Craig stays from what I read somewhere. They'll likely soft-boot it post B25 and I'm quite certain most of this gang will be gone. For them to stay they have to really stand out and so far I'd say only Whishaw has (even if he too is a little predictable as the geek).
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    I think he said something about only coming back once or twice if Craig did?

Still, I wouldn't mind if he stayed on. Great actor.
    Milovy wrote: »
    Fiennes stays if Craig stays from what I read somewhere. They'll likely soft-boot it post B25 and I'm quite certain most of this gang will be gone. For them to stay they have to really stand out and so far I'd say only Whishaw has (even if he too is a little predictable as the geek).
    Ugh, I hope the MI6 team stays on into the next Bond's tenure. I doubt EON will want to "soft-boot" anything anymore - with popular cinema's current obsession with origin stories, continuities, movie universes, etc., I bet a new MI6 team would be introduced in the stories. I don't want to see that again. (I also expect the next Bond will be introduced as a "new" Bond again - I hope I'm wrong.)

Fiennes is a Bond fan, and M is a good part. I hope he changes his mind when the next Bond comes around.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Yeah, history says M generally carries forward across Bond actor changes. Continues their brand, sometimes across reboots, even.
    Fiennes especially I hope is around for a long, long time.
    I couldn't agree more with the above posters.

The foster brother debacle is the single most damaging thing in the history of the series.

A couple of years on and I still can't believe they did it.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    peter wrote: »
    I agree-- Dalton has far darker features. Very intimidating. Fleming would have approved, I think...

+1.
  • Roadphill wrote: »

The foster brother debacle is the single most damaging thing in the history of the series.

I know so well how you feel. I can't get over it myself. I wish we could sent Arnie back in time to correct it Terminator style.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà

I know so well how you feel. I can't get over it myself. I wish we could sent Arnie back in time to correct it Terminator style.

It almost ruins You Only Live Twice for me. Thankfully it's at least an alternate timeline.