No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited August 2017 Posts: 11,425
    Great news DC is back. It's been the most likely outcome all along, as if DC wanted out he'd have made it public long ago and made a clean break.

Now the speculation can start about whether he does a 6th!

Unless they kill off Bond (lord help us) it doesn't matter how B25 ends - DC can always return.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Now we just need to know who will direct and most importantly compose the film. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    P&W are still writing it and the narrative still needs digging out of an abyss.

Sorry to piss on everyone's cornflakes but nothing's really changed. Craig coming back was always more likely than not and my faith in EON has only ever been lower after DAD and still is.

The proof will be in the pudding and nothing less than a pudding with strawberries and salted caramel chunks on top and dripping in an indulgent chocolate sauce will do this time round.

If they deliver a CR rivalling film DC stands a very good chance of going down as the best Bond of all or at least with a tenure on a par with Sean's - but that's a monumentally big if.

It's a bit like Liverpool's result last night. It's all there if they keep their heads but history tells us not to underestimate their capacity to royally fuck it up.

I don't think anyone would be foolish enough to say that EON have an easy job ahead, but they certainly have my support and I'm excited to see what the next two years bring in announcements. That all the speculation can end is a gift on its own, separate from the prize of the reveal for me. An incessant and childish chirping into my ear was quieted just hours ago, and the feeling is magnificent.
    Well, we can hopefully rest easy knowing Newman is highly unlikely to come back.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Getafix wrote: »
    Well, we can hopefully rest easy knowing Newman is highly unlikely to come back.

Well there is still that underlying worry... :O

Wonder if David Arnold will be back.
    Terrific news that Craig is back. Loved every one of his performances as 007, finally Bond 25 is on its way.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    RC7 wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    So when can we expect official news about Waltz. If he is in or out?

It has been my understanding for some time (as far back as I heard about Craig) that Waltz is also back.

I recall an interview in which he stated, if Craig came back, then so would he.

So a clean slate with Bond#26 (which I now can't see happening in 2022), then? *sighs* Fine. But please, could we finally have a straightforward film, that doesn't disappear up it's own arse. I won't hold my breath, but it would make a nice change to have a full on proper Bond film.

60th Anniversary. New Bond actor. OO7...number 7.
    I hope EON pull out a GE or CR style film. Masses of hype.
    They've delivered in the past on such things. No reason to think B26 would be any different. Especially considering it will be the start of a new Bond actors tenure.
    Benny wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    So when can we expect official news about Waltz. If he is in or out?

It has been my understanding for some time (as far back as I heard about Craig) that Waltz is also back.

I recall an interview in which he stated, if Craig came back, then so would he.

So a clean slate with Bond#26 (which I now can't see happening in 2022), then? *sighs* Fine. But please, could we finally have a straightforward film, that doesn't disappear up it's own arse. I won't hold my breath, but it would make a nice change to have a full on proper Bond film.

They've delivered in the past on such things. No reason to think B26 would be any different. Especially considering it will be the start of a new Bond actors tenure.

My understanding was the Waltz would only want to return if Craig returned - that doesn't necessarily mean he is returning, only that he would agree to return only if Craig is in it.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited August 2017 Posts: 8,073
    Well, I'm glad Craig is back from the point of view that he will take one for the team and prevent P+W from infecting yet another era. I expect a clean slate with Bond 26.

I know your all partying it up right now, and justifiably so since you got what you wanted, but what does this really mean, and what gets you so excited about this? All we know is Craig is back, P+W is writing and it'll come out in 2019. If I were you I wouldn't be excited, but deeply nervous. No tenure has ever ended on a high, and Craig simply stating that it's their intention to do so doesn't exactly make it happen. I mean, I expect it was their intention for SP to become as beloved as SF, and that didn't happen did it?

Regardless, I want it on record - this film (Bond 25) will be mediocre at best. I'm not the least bit optimistic about them ending on a high. I'm glad for the Craigites they will get to see their man in a tux once more. Just temper that hype a bit, as there's a good chance you won't get the film you were expecting, just like I haven't.

The one bit of news that would make me happy now is if WB won the rights. Bond 26 is the best chance we'll get of a clean slate, so bring on the Nolan trilogy, and fill in that 3 film tenure spot.
    I think a lot of us would like a standalone film. But that's highly unlikely. I assume that as long as Mendes isn't back (as Waltz and Mendes didn't get along that well I don't think) then Waltz will return to play Brofeld.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

A new Bond actor in the 60th anniversary year... that would be good publicity. But doing both at once would add pressure to an already tense time for them. Assuming that EON intend on releasing another film in an anniversary year, this is one of the reasons why I wanted Bond#25 to be a clean slate. Debut the new Bond in 2019, and then release his second film to mark the Diamond anniversary.
    I think a lot of us would like a standalone film. But that's highly unlikely. I assume that as long as Mendes isn't back (as Waltz and Mendes didn't get along that well I don't think) then Waltz will return to play Brofeld.

I think it's inevitable that Bond 25 will pick up sometime after the events of Spectre and will, as Craig's last film, wrap up loose ends. I suspect, as RC7 says, Blofeld will be back for a showdown with Bond, and whether that means Shatterhand or not, we'll just have to wait and see.

A new Bond actor in the 60th anniversary year... that would be good publicity. But doing both at once would add pressure to an already tense time for them. Assuming that EON intend on releasing another film in an anniversary year, this is one of the reasons why I wanted Bond#25 to be a clean slate. Debut the new Bond in 2019, and then release his second film to mark the Diamond anniversary.

I think it's the perfect time to launch OO7th actor as OO7.
    Diamond anniversary. Do a straight, no holds barred Bond film. Every Bond actors debut film has been generally well received by audiences. DN, OHMSS, LALD, TLD,GE, CR.
    Cast Bond #7 right, give him a good director and script, and it's looking good. EON have thankfully done this several times already, so I would have faith in them.
    Who knows, even Turner might be perfectly capable of taking on the role then. ;)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Diamond anniversary. Do a straight, no holds barred Bond film. Every Bond actors debut film has been generally well received by audiences. DN, OHMSS, LALD, TLD,GE, CR.
    Cast Bond #7 right, give him a good director and script, and it's looking good. EON have thankfully done this several times already, so I would have faith in them.
    Who knows, even Turner might be perfectly capable of taking on the role then. ;)

I'm thinking about the added pressure. But Turner for twenty two has a nice ring to it.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Thank you guys for that. Let's hope he does go out on a high.
    "Daniel Craig will become the longest serving James Bond actor when Bond 25 is released in cinemas. On the day of the US release, he will have been 007 for 5,139+ days, pipping the late Sir Roger Moore's 5,118 days in the role."

I don't really think that these stats are anything to write home about. Roger Moore may have been Bond for a shorter time but he did 7 films within his tenure.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    I mean, I expect it was their intention for SP to become as beloved as SF, and that didn't happen did it
    Because they tried to copy everything essential from Skyfall (Director, Music, family ties ...) and it just did not work out.

• BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    edited August 2017 Posts: 1,884
    I don't know if someone's already mentioned this, but I noticed that Craig was wearing the (monstrosity imo) "Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Commander’s Watch" on the show. The relationship between the Omega brand and Bond is as healthy as ever.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/diver-300-m/commanders-watch/product/

I'm thinking about the added pressure. But Turner for twenty two has a nice ring to it.

Puts him at 39 for his debut. Some would argue that he's possibly too old for his first film. ;)
    I have to say, I'd rather Turner for #26, than Tom Hardy.
    but we're looking way, way into the future there. Bond 25 hasn't started...anything aside from the obvious. Release date, lead, writers.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    I mean, I expect it was their intention for SP to become as beloved as SF, and that didn't happen did it
    Because they tried to copy everything essential from Skyfall (Director, Music, family ties ...) and it just did not work out.

And if certain members are to be believed Waltz is back. So that's Babs and Mike, Craig, P+W and Waltz all returning and presumably the MI6 crew too. Seems like they are doing the same again minus Mendes.
    I don't know if someone's already mentioned this, but I noticed that Craig was wearing the (monstrosity imo) "Omega Seamaster Diver 300M Commander’s Watch" on the show. The relationship between the Omega brand and Bond is as healthy as ever.

https://www.omegawatches.com/watches/seamaster/diver-300-m/commanders-watch/product/

SE_Diver300M_CommandersWatch_21232412004001_VueC_large.jpg

Ugly looking watch.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,598
    Who's going to start up the Bond 26 production thread today? ;)

I'm happy that Craig is back but I am perhaps foolishly hoping he will return to his darker, grittier portrayal of the character perhaps because he suffered another misfortune in his life. If he pulls another Spectre Bond then I just won't enjoy Bond 25 as much. Of course there are a million other things that they could stuff up too to hinder my enjoyment of the movie. Let's hope this time around they'll pull out a good one... :)
    Bounine wrote: »
    Who's going to start up the Bond 26 production thread today? ;)

I have it on good authority that it wont last long. ;)

I was hoping a staff member would respond to this comment. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Well, I'm glad Craig is back from the point of view that he will take one for the team and prevent P+W from infecting yet another era. I expect a clean slate with Bond 26.

I know your all partying it up right now, and justifiably so since you got what you wanted, but what does this really mean, and what gets you so excited about this? All we know is Craig is back, P+W is writing and it'll come out in 2019. If I were you I wouldn't be excited, but deeply nervous. No tenure has ever ended on a high, and Craig simply stating that it's their intention to do so doesn't exactly make it happen. I mean, I expect it was their intention for SP to become as beloved as SF, and that didn't happen did it?

Regardless, I want it on record - this film (Bond 25) will be mediocre at best. I'm not the least bit optimistic about them ending on a high. I'm glad for the Craigites they will get to see their man in a tux once more. Just temper that hype a bit, as there's a good chance you won't get the film you were expecting, just like I haven't.

The one bit of news that would make me happy now is if WB won the rights. Bond 26 is the best chance we'll get of a clean slate, so bring on the Nolan trilogy, and fill in that 3 film tenure spot.

@Mendes4Lyfe, don't be such a spoilsport. Speaking for myself, I am excited by the simple idea that I hopefully won't have to hear Turner's name suggested for the role again until at least 2020, if even that soon (Fleming preserve me). That peace alone is quite rewarding, and dare I say triumphant.

As for everything else, I love how the era has gone and overall find it exactly to my liking, so why wouldn't I be positive about this? Hard to be deeply nervous when a team I enjoy and love is continuing again, and things are finally set in stone for it to go on for one more. I wouldn't call it hyping things up just because I choose not to be negative or bitter about the news, the same attitude that has been cancerous to this place for so long. Perhaps one should suck it up, realize what has happened and try to look positively at it, hoping for the best? At the very least save the damnation and judgments for when the trailer finally drops or you see the movie, instead of criticizing things blindly and assuming. Overall, I challenge your postulation that Bond 25 will be a poor film, an argument supported by your past misreads of so much related to Bond 25, least of which being Dan's involvement.

I understand you've gotten a bitter taste now and are feeling disappointed. You aren't alone in this, trust me. This footage was taken while a special someone was viewing the Colbert interview, reacting live to Dan's big announcement:

tumblr_mp8cltThAY1rehpo5o3_250.gif

One day, maybe. One day.
    SeanCraig wrote: »

It's traditional in Bond for the director, composer etc. to return. That's not in itself an indication they were trying to make another SF.

The Brofeld dimension was unfortunate.
  • RC7RC7
    edited August 2017 Posts: 10,512
    Bounine wrote: »
    "Daniel Craig will become the longest serving James Bond actor when Bond 25 is released in cinemas. On the day of the US release, he will have been 007 for 5,139+ days, pipping the late Sir Roger Moore's 5,118 days in the role."

I don't really think that these stats are anything to write home about. Roger Moore may have been Bond for a shorter time but he did 7 films within his tenure.

Actually I think it's pretty incredible. If you'd asked a bookie for odds on Craig lasting longer than Moore on the day he was announced I bet you'd now be cashing in some serious money.
    Whilst it's a long way off, and mere speculation. I would like to think that the foster brother angle and many of the issues that people had with SP have been noted by EON and Craig. After all he is a producer now. With that in mind, and Craig's comments about going out on a high, maybe they can give him the send off that he wants.
    Even if it is a mediocre film, it wont matter to him in the long run as it's his last. Of course no-one sets out to make a mediocre film. It's not like they started SP and said, 'Ok guys, lets make a half assed Bond film.'
    They still have lots of time to flesh out a decent story, and hopefully a decent director.
    Get the story right, and you're half way there.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Hmm... Megan Ellison re-tweeted The Late Show's Breaking News tweet on this (pretty soon, too)...

@Tuulia, interesting. I wonder when we'll get proper details on distribution. Dan has been on the same terms with EON for months now and knew he'd be back, so they finally reached a deal with someone. I'm honestly surprised we haven't heard more rumblings on the distribution side, which was the real tangible issue with the production not firing up and not these faux bets on who will replace Dan, which were always smoke and mirror click-bait.

ME retweets everything tbh, doesn't necessarily mean Annapurna have the rights (I doubt it, if anything being involved in the bid raised her profile but they're too small and disparate distribution wise to do Bond. EON will want a big major studio.)

No, she doesn't re-tweet everything, but of-course that re-tweet doesn't "necessarily mean" Annapurna's involvement, either. I don't know if being involved in the bid would have raised her profile, it's very high already.

yeah what I meant by 'everything' was stuff she's interested in - not just stuff she's involved in herself. It def raised Annapurna's profile as a fledging studio/distributor as opposed to just a production company and that's probably what this was all about. ME never expected to actually win the rights.

I hope/expect director and studio confirmations to follow suit...and then hopefully the cast. Awesome to hear re: Waltz, as controversial as it is also hope Seydoux is back. and what I really hope is that they really hype this one as Craig's final one - the end of an era.

Yes, of course stuff she's interested in - that's what people generally do with Twitter. It's not only movie or tv stuff in her twitter, but when it is, then it mostly actually is stuff she/Annapurna is involved in, not just tons of any movie stuff (which is what your comment about "everything" seemed to suggest).

I didn't say it means Annapurna has distribution, but I found it interesting that she re-tweeted that news, which is why I mentioned it.