*General Actor/Actress Discussion*

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    If this thread is going to go anywhere as I have been requested to continue, I will need some participation here.

For me, Kate is best(from what I've seen) in Titanic. Much like Jack I fell in love with her and it is a great love story that everyone should witness. I love The Holiday as well. It is a warm and nicely presented tale involving Jude Law, Cameron Diaz, Jack Black, and of course, Kate. I love to watch the film around Christmas(naturally), and it is a prime example that Jack Black can be great at serious acting, much like Will Ferrell in Stranger Than Fiction, another film I recommend.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    LAST CALL! IF ANYONE IS STILL BREATHING. (:|
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Might as well move onto the next actor.
    edited February 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Alright, I'll move on. Hopefully this thread can stay above water as the next actor is:

Tom Hanks
    tom-hanks-pose-c35e5.jpg

You all know the drill.
  • Maybe people just don't like Winslet or appreciate her work

Hanks for me is good in a way, that as a 'celebrity' :-< , he doesn't make a song and dance about it, he realizes he is a fine actor and keeps it to himself and goes about his business quietly. Not really a fan of his films, saw releases like Big and Forrest Gump when they came out as well as other work such as that lost at sea adventure and I can't remember the name of it, he was stuck on a desert island after a 'plane crash

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan I can honestly say that, just didn't want to that's all

Hanks is one of those Hollywood names where you could sit down and talk about his work and starring roles and feel comfortable with it, he'd be a good conversationalist one would imagine
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool
    Tom hanks is great in cast away, catch me if you can , as woody in toy story and great in the green mile.
    Really like him as an actor and comes across very well on shows and in interviews.
    Maybe people just don't like Winslet or appreciate her work

Hanks for me is good in a way, that as a 'celebrity' :-< , he doesn't make a song and dance about it, he realizes he is a fine actor and keeps it to himself and goes about his business quietly. Not really a fan of his films, saw releases like Big and Forrest Gump when they came out as well as other work such as that lost at sea adventure and I can't remember the name of it, he was stuck on a desert island after a 'plane crash

I've never seen Saving Private Ryan I can honestly say that, just didn't want to that's all

Hanks is one of those Hollywood names where you could sit down and talk about his work and starring roles and feel comfortable with it, he'd be a good conversationalist one would imagine

You haven't seen Saving Private Ryan?!?!?! How have you survived on Mars?! On a serious note, it is by far my favorite film of his next to Forrest Gump, and it really can't be missed. A true war film classic in its own right. As Forrest Gump he gave a brilliant performance of a mentally disabled man akin to Dustin Hoffman's role as Raymond. Tom is not only a stellar actor, but also a caring man outside his acting efforts including politics and being the spokesman for war memorial and his contribution to NASA and many of it affiliates. He is an honorary member of the United States Army Rangers, and a member of the National Space Society. And the man has an asteroid named after him. Now THAT is cool.
  • I've seen war epics like The Deer Hunter and Platoon but it's a genre that doesn't really interest me, maybe once upon a time I could take an interest but as other films and areas have come along I seem to feel indifferent about it, it's one main reason why I never bothered to watch Ryan, I realize it is a film of epic proportions and highly regarded but I just didn't fancy it as a theater release or thereafter for home purchase

I forgot to mention Splash with Hanks, saw it on it's release in 1984 but can't recall much about it, don't think I ever saw it again, was I a Daryl Hannah fan at the time?, or maybe there was nothing else on at the time of release. It's one role Hanks never seems to get noted for, most likely because of the greater success he endured thereafter
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited February 2012 Posts: 13,904
    Hanks is one of those actors, that though they may not appear on my favourite list, I can't in all honestly call them a bad actor. Of the Hanks films i've seen...

Toy Story 1, 2 & 3
    Big
    Road To Perdition
    Castaway
    The Money Pit
    The Da Vinci Code
    Angels & Demons
    The Green Mile
    Forrest Gump
    Turner & Hooch
    Splash
    Dragnet
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Burbs

... my favourite has to be The Money Pit.
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    Wow, Hanks' a bit old :/
  • All those titles we so easily forget about-

Turner and Hooch was a sort of K9 variation with James Belushi

Money Pit and I've seen it before was OK, Probably at a time (1986) when Hanks had yet to fully establish himself as a big time actor, I think Big was his main breakthrough in that department

Castaway - that was the title I forgot about - Wilson!

The Green Mile was huge at the time, a supernatural masterpiece some call it

Add to this The Burbs and Joe vs The Volcano, some other Hanks work that maybe doesn't get the recognition they deserve
  • X3MSonicXX3MSonicX https://www.behance.net/gallery/86760163/Fa-Posteres-de-007-No-Time-To-Die
    edited February 2012 Posts: 2,635
    "WIIILSOOON!!!!" Epic.

Also, K9 was a great movie... i saw it like 2 weeks ago, it is an awesome movie.
    Hanks is one of those actors, that though they may not appear on my favourite list, I can't in all honestly call them a bad actor. Of the Hanks films i've seen...

Toy Story 1, 2 & 3
    Big
    Road To Perdition
    Castaway
    The Money Pit
    The Da Vinci Code
    Angels & Demons
    The Green Mile
    Forrest Gump
    Turner & Hooch
    Splash
    Dragnet

You haven't seen Saving Private Ryan either?!?!?!?!

Toy Story 1, 2 & 3
    Big
    Road To Perdition
    Castaway
    The Money Pit
    The Da Vinci Code
    Angels & Demons
    The Green Mile
    Forrest Gump
    Turner & Hooch
    Splash
    Dragnet

You haven't seen Saving Private Ryan either?!?!?!?!

Ah, yes i've seen Saving Private Ryan and The Burbs too. Thank you for reminding me. Now i'm looking at the list of films, i've seen more films from Hanks' career than I thought.
    Stuff your oscar winning, deep and meaningful nonsense, The Burbs is my all time favrouite Tom Hanks film!!
    What a fantastic actor, seen most of his movies! Have enjoyed all of them! Personal favourites would have to be The Burbs, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, his voice over work for Toy Story 1,2,3 and ofcourse The Green Mile.

A down to earth person as far as i am aware? Nice guy!
    Are we forgetting:

You've got Mail & Sleepless in Seatle??
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Forrest Gump!
    Just remembered him as Robert Langdon in the Dan Brown novel adaptations for The Davinci Code and Angels And Demons! I am certainly hoping for a movie for The Lost Symbol?!!!
    Never really thought he was right as Robert Langdon, anybody think Kurt Russell would have been a better choice, at least he already had the hair?
  • Personally I didn't enjoy The Lost Symbol as much as the first two books, especially Angels and Demons which the film really didn't do justice to
    Personally I didn't enjoy The Lost Symbol as much as the first two books, especially Angels and Demons which the film really didn't do justice to

When I read the Da Vinci tale I was annoyed how similar it read to one book I had already in my cupboard (No plagerism but stealing a very detailed idea), Angels and Demons was nice beachfodder. The Lost Symbol was the one were I could not get past a certain page twice and gave up. Googled the ending and was glad I stopped.
    Tried to sell my copy on line and found out that nobody wanted to pay me more than €0,50. So I still have it taking up space.

I found Mr. Hanks version in both movies a lot more fun than the books.

Last call if anyone has anything to add.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I'd love a film of The Lost Symbol, that's all. Sorry @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7!

Who's next?
    The next actress is...

Angelina Jolie
    angelina-jolie.jpg
    :x :-B :-O :)] :-bd
    Useless.
    Personally I can't stand Jolie. I don't think she's a good actress at all. And don't get me started on Tomb Raider, they should have cast Rhona Mitra instead.
    Idk why u guys think all that of her. She is one of the best actress i've ever seen. Saw her at 60 Seconds, both Tomb Raiders, Mr. & Mrs. Smith... And now I need to see her in Salt.
  • edited March 2012 Posts: 7,653
    She is weird but does hold some attraction for me. As an actress she is good and bad, you'll never know what you'll get.