Controversial opinions about Bond films

Comments

BAIN123 wrote: »
    I remember the audience I was with in the first screening I saw of SP applauded after the fight.

I'd lay a sizeable wager they didn't applaud after that?

You'd be right.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    To me the Hinx fight was focused, intense, and brutal in a compelling way. Its best element is communicating a fit and capable Bond simply running out of steam against an unstoppable freight train of an opponent. It's actually pretty humorless until the final moments.
    Perfect for a Bond film. But they should mix it up over time, sure.

Yeah can't really fault the Hinx fight to be honest.

I'd have it top 5, maybe top 3. Grant v Bond obviously number 1 but after that it's up for grabs. Off the top of my head there's only Green 4 v Necros, Alec v Bond, Slate v Bond and CR toilet and stairwell fights to challenge it from breaking into the top 5.

I wouldn't be dismayed if it made the podium in that field.
    Bernard Lee steals Roger's first scene in LALD.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @BAIN123 , not controversial, friend!
    LTK is easily, easily, the best 80s Bond and top five overall.

The action sequence on the water is the best showcase of bravura editing since Peter Hunt scorched the screen in OHMSS.

John Glen was hitting his straps right at the end. A top three Bond director.
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    @GetCarter

Yeah! I think that LTK is amazing!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    It's very good, but behind TLD for me.
    I much much prefer it over TLD......but I think y'all know that ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Just because you're not willing to be open about your love for Kara, yes we know...
    Just because you're not willing to be open about your love for Kara, yes we know...

Bah....foiled again....

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    By this point I'm not sure how controversial this might be, but anyway... I prefer the Brosnan era to the Craig era. There, I said it.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    mattjoes wrote: »
    By this point I'm not sure how controversial this might be, but anyway... I prefer the Brosnan era to the Craig era. There, I said it.

Agreed. In fact, I prefer the Brosnan era to all other eras.
  • GetCarter wrote: »
    LTK is easily, easily, the best 80s Bond and top five overall.

The action sequence on the water is the best showcase of bravura editing since Peter Hunt scorched the screen in OHMSS.

John Glen was hitting his straps right at the end. A top three Bond director.

The waterski sequence is indeed breathtaking. One of the best Bond moments ever, as far as I am concerned.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mattjoes wrote: »

So do I. ;)
    QOS is a great title. Seems it's still controversial.
    Other controversial opinion: The Hildebrand Rarity would be great as a title.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    No Fleming title should be controversial the way I see it. Though many seem to disagree with me in regards to 007 IN NEW YORK. i think it's powerful and evocative of '30s -'50s crime films. Which I consider a positive.
    I don't think many on here would disagree with you about THE HILDEBRAND RARITY.

007 in New York is the only title that wouldn't work for a movie.
    For you.

Well of course that's my opinion. I think many would share it about 007 in NY but not so many regarding QOS or THR.
  • RC7RC7
    Ludovico wrote: »
    For you.

Well of course that's my opinion. I think many would share it about 007 in NY but not so many regarding QOS or THR.

I have no desire to see '007 in New York' - next to LALD, MR, DAF... and so on it's poor. I don't blame Fleming given the context of the piece, but I imagine even he would have reservations about its use as a cinematic title - in much the same way he vetoed the use of TSWLM plot. 'The Death Collector', as SP was initially called, seems like much better use of Fleming imo. I also think it's entirely possible to channel the great man. SF always struck me as a brilliantly Flemingian title.
    No Fleming title should be controversial the way I see it. Though many seem to disagree with me in regards to 007 IN NEW YORK. i think it's powerful and evocative of '30s -'50s crime films. Which I consider a positive.

Very 1930's a'la CHARLIE CHAN IN LONDON, SHERLOCK HOLMES IN WASHINGTON. I've actually warmed to the idea of 007 IN NEW YORK as a title. Still, I'd prefer any of the other short stories titles- all of which I wish would eventually be used.
    RC7 wrote: »
    For you.

I have no desire to see '007 in New York' - next to LALD, MR, DAF... and so on it's poor. I don't blame Fleming given the context of the piece, but I imagine even he would have reservations about its use as a cinematic title - in much the same way he vetoed the use of TSWLM plot. 'The Death Collector', as SP was initially called, seems like much better use of Fleming imo. I also think it's entirely possible to channel the great man. SF always struck me as a brilliantly Flemingian title.

I'm glad they didn't use it yet, they should use it for something set in Japan.
    The Death Collector is a far more intriguing title than Spectre.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited August 2017 Posts: 5,979
    royale65 wrote: »
    I've said it before, but we have many new people, I don't believe any of us "Originals" (members that saw their first film in the theatre or drive-in with Connery or Lazenby upon release) were fond of MR at the time. Horrified. Easy to enjoy to as a one-off in retrospect.

Indeed. We all have the "benefit" of coming to MR as one of many Bond films, so we can just enjoy MR's space age hi-jinks as one of Mr. Bond's more outlandish adventures. Had I seen MR when it was first released, my reaction most probably would be like @Birdleson .

I had the same reaction when I saw AVTAK in the theater. But needless to say, James Bond always returns!

007 in New York is the only title that wouldn't work for a movie.

I could see it working if something very significant (say, Bond's "death") happened in NY.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 7,500
    Come on. 007 in NY is a horrible title! Sounds like a cartoon, not a Bond Film. Then I'd actually prefer Birds og the West Indies...
    Not a controversial opinion as much as a controversial feeling: when I first watched OHMSS as a child (well, from the assault on Piz Gloria to the end) I was happy or at least relieved that Tracy got killed. So Bond could keep on bedding other women.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    007 in New York has a nice Pulp Noir sound to it. I wouldn't mind it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    jobo wrote: »
    Come on. 007 in NY is a horrible title! Sounds like a cartoon, not a Bond Film. Then I'd actually prefer Birds og the West Indies...
    Birds of the West Indies. Nice. Naturally I love the double-entrendre.
    jobo wrote: »
    Birds of the West Indies. Nice. Naturally I love the double-entrendre.

"James Bond and The Birds of the West Indies". Hm... ;)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited August 2017 Posts: 9,117
    007 in New York is utterly unusable and anyone advocating it is out of their tree.

Thank Christ they had all the Fleming titles to use back in the day or if some of you people had been in charge we would've been treated to these poetic and imaginative titles:

007 in Jamaica
    007 in Istanbul and Venice
    007 in Switzerland and Kentucky
    007 in the Bahamas
    007 in Japan
    007 in Switzerland
    007 in Amsterdam and Vegas
    007 in New York, the Bayou and San Monique (Jamaica again)
    007 in Beirut, Macau and Thailand
    007 in Austria, Egypt and Sardinia
    007 in California, Venice, Rio and Space
    007 in Beckton, Cortina and Greece
    007 in somewhere in Latin America (possibly meant to be Cuba), India and Germany
    007 in Siberia (just somewhere with snow as we couldn't really film in Russia), Paris and San Francisco
    007 in Gibraltar, Austria, Tangier and Afghanistan
    007 in Florida and Isthmus (Mexico)
    007 in Russia (for real this time! The iron curtain had fallen by now) and Cuba (but here it was still up so this was Puerto Rica)
    007 in Hamburg and Vietnam (Thailand actually)
    007 in London, Azerbaijan and Istanbul
    007 in North Korea (Pinewood backlot. Obviously there's no way we were going to actually film in North Korea), Cuba (Castro still going so actually Spain but maybe next time) and Iceland
    007 in Prague, Madagascar (cheaper to fake it in the Bahamas), the Bahamas, Miami, Montenegro (Czech republic. Economically it just made more sense) and Venice
    007 in Italy, Austria, Haiti, Bolivia (all these Latin countries look the same so we were able to pass this off by using Panama and Chile)
    007 in Istanbul, London, Shanghai (although only for a few 2nd unit establishing shots as we were skint on this film), London some more, Scotland
    007 in Mexico, Italy, Austria, Morocco, London again

Just because something is a Fleming title doesn't automatically mean it's a winner. Perhaps we should also consider Thrilling Cities, The Diamond Smugglers and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (actually all of those are probably preferable to 007 in NY)?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited August 2017 Posts: 16,331
    Get out of my tree. ;)
    grantorino01.jpg