Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Keeping up with the Joneses no idea what happened in this film I zoned out, though I am in love with Gal Gadot.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A SCANNER DARKLY (2006)
    darkly-posterjpg.jpeg

I haven t read the original story by Philip K. Dick, so cannot compare, but as usual this deals with philosophy, mind and identity in a very clever way. I dig how the filmmakers have experimented with the medium itself here, too. One of the best and most original movies I have seen. Don t understand how this can have passed under the radar for all these years.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    A SCANNER DARKLY (2006)
    darkly-posterjpg.jpeg

I haven t read the original story by Philip K. Dick, so cannot compare, but as usual this deals with philosophy, mind and identity in a very clever way. I dig how the filmmakers have experimented with the medium itself here, too. One of the best and most original movies I have seen. Don t understand how this can have passed under the radar for all these years.

I have it on dvd it's one of my favourite science fiction films, agreed very original the way the film was made a comic book come to life with excellent performances.
    Good to see some love for Young Sherlock Holmes. Incidentally, I visited the street set in Elstree Studios when it was being filmed. Also starred an old mate of mine, Earl Rhodes who played Dudley - he also had a large role in The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea. The details on the set were phenomenal, right down to painted rust on the iron railings. Invisible to the audience, but beautifully rendered to anyone who walked on set. I also remember visiting the other movie which had overtaken all the soundstages at the time at Elstree: Labyrinth. After seeing all the sets for Labyrinth it kind of spoiled it for me, as I can still picture how they looked with the painted backdrops and aligned models that had to be shot at a certain perspective to look like infinity. That was also the day I found out for the very first time from Terry Ackland-Snow, who I talked to on Labyrinth, that he was art directing the Alien sequel with James Cameron, which up until that moment had not been reported in the press.
    220px-The_Three_Must_get_Theres.jpg

The Three Must-Get-Theres (1922)
    This was enjoyable and pretty hilarious.

Nosferatuposter.jpg

Nosferatu (1922)
    Sunrise: A Song Of Two Humans (1927)
    both by F. W. Murnau
    The cinephiles here have surely either seen these already or are planning to? Yeah, though so. :)

sunrise-obrien.jpg?w=600&h=410
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    @mattjoes, glad you enjoyed it. I always find the atmosphere to be the most gripping thing: a snowy London, warm and rich prep school, spooky graveyard, heated and macabre temples; it really has it all.
    For me, it's one of those films I like to call "warm and cozy".
    I really wish there had been sequels, as Rowe and Cox were brilliant together and I'd have taken them as youngsters or even now as grown men. I know they played Holmes and Watson again for a one and done stage event not long ago, but I want a feature film, dammit.
    I didn't know that; great to see that they got together after all those years! I'd definitely watch more films with them. Hopefully a filmmaker that grew in the eighties will feel interested enough to pursue such a project. This film seems to have a cult status, after all.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    A SCANNER DARKLY (2006)
    darkly-posterjpg.jpeg

Great movie, glad you enjoyed it. I haven't seen it since 2006/2007, so it's due for a rewatch. As you said, one of the more original movies to pop up in the last couple of decades.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 684
    @Birdleson Did a search, went back, and had a read through that. I always forget the rich backlog of discussion available on these forums. ;) So happy the passionate discussion around here extends to all cinema, not just Bond.

Having slept on it, TESTAMENT was just so great. Its purveying sense of some omnipresent danger, wrapped up in layers of disguise and delusion, is in many ways exactly what shot in the arm the Bond films could use right now. Instead of looking to Bond's past viz. SP, I'd love to see them look to the Mabuse stuff, Lang in general, and Hitch to a degree. Some of the material on which Fleming cut his teeth.

@Lancaster007 Thanks for the rec! I have a couple more watches ahead of it, but SPIONE is coming up for me shortly, and I shall most definitely follow up with you on it. ;)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694
    mattjoes wrote: »
    @mattjoes, glad you enjoyed it. I always find the atmosphere to be the most gripping thing: a snowy London, warm and rich prep school, spooky graveyard, heated and macabre temples; it really has it all.
    For me, it's one of those films I like to call "warm and cozy".
    I really wish there had been sequels, as Rowe and Cox were brilliant together and I'd have taken them as youngsters or even now as grown men. I know they played Holmes and Watson again for a one and done stage event not long ago, but I want a feature film, dammit.
    I didn't know that; great to see that they got together after all those years! I'd definitely watch more films with them. Hopefully a filmmaker that grew in the eighties will feel interested enough to pursue such a project. This film seems to have a cult status, after all.

@mattjoes, Chris Columbus just has that style as a filmmaker that is really special, and all the movies of his I've seen have had that kind of rich, vast, warm and imaginative feeling. In many ways Young Sherlock Holmes was like his audition tape for the Harry Potter films (of which his are probably my favorites) because he managed a crew that performed amazing stunts and effects and built sets very much in tune with how Hogwarts needed to look with its stony architecture and overall magical mood. All the feelings I get from Young Sherlock are in the first two Potter, and I saw them as a kid around the same exact time without knowing that they shared a director. But that feeling, that was always powerful and evident.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Tuulia
    I have seen all those films, own a few of them on DVD in fact. NOSFERATU is an epic that mustn't ever be forgotten. It's that important.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Tuulia
    I have seen all those films, own a few of them on DVD in fact. NOSFERATU is an epic that mustn't ever be forgotten. It's that important.

First time I ever caught 'Nosferatu' was around 1 AM when I couldn't sleep. Probably the last movie I should've chosen, as I lay there scanning the dark corners of my room, waiting for something to come crawling out.
  • edited August 2017 Posts: 2,081
    @Tuulia

I hope you like Herzog's remake, too? I know I do.

Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Tuulia

First time I ever caught 'Nosferatu' was around 1 AM when I couldn't sleep. Probably the last movie I should've chosen, as I lay there scanning the dark corners of my room, waiting for something to come crawling out.

So... did anything crawl out or...? - I do wish you wen't left disappointed, you know... ;)

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Tuulia
    My good friend, I make it my business to watch anything and everything Dracula or remotely connected I can get my hands on. As soon as I had seen NOSFERATU, I went after the Hertzog film and found myself surprised by how strong a film that is. Its haunting score is never not the perfect "mood" setter when I'm reading the Stoker original, which I tend to do once every two or so winters. I even like SHADOW OF THE VAMPIRE if you'll believe it. ;-)
    Tuulia wrote: »
    @Tuulia

@Tuulia

So... did anything crawl out or...? - I do wish you wen't left disappointed, you know... ;)

Thankfully not! The film was terrific, though. Incredibly atmospheric and creepy.
    I see. Well glad you liked it, Dimi. The score is indeed great.
    Tuulia wrote: »
    @Tuulia

@Tuulia

Thankfully not! The film was terrific, though. Incredibly atmospheric and creepy.

It's almost a pity there wasn't even a teeny weeny spider... :P
    But yeah, the movie was atmospheric.
    Foreign Correspondent (1940)
    Directed by Alfred Hitchcock. It has its moments. On the whole I did't care for it that much.

foreign-correspondent.jpg

Murder, My Sweet (Farewell, My Lovely) (1944)
    A stylish noir film based on Raymond Chandler's novel, directed by Edward Dmytryk. Dick Powell as Philip Marlowe here. (I had previously seen the 1975 remake with Robert Mitchum. Long ago, though; should re-watch.)

murder-my-sweet-window.jpg

Leave Her to Heaven (1945)
    A Technicolor film noir - I expected black and white and it took a bit to adjust. Gene Tierney was great as the femme fatale lead. Some of the rest of the cast less so - I found Cornel Wilde a bit meh and Vincent Price too theatrical. But on the whole this was good.

Evil+Gene+Tierney+Leave+Her+to+Heaven.JPG

It's A Wonderful Life (1946)
    Frank Capra's classic that presumably everyone has seen (at least everyone should have) that can apparently just as well be enjoyed in the summer. ;)

o0640051213589726770.jpg?caw=800

Nightmare Alley (1947)
    A rise and fall story that got mixed reviews on release, but has been appreciated much more later on. I liked it.

alley11.jpg

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
    Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. Gene Tierney as Mrs. Muir, Rex Harrison as the ghost who lives in the house she rents (his old house), George Sanders as a slimy suitor. Natalie Wood as Mrs. Muir's daughter. It was okay.

il-fantasma.jpg?w=540&h=423

The Brasher Doubloon (1947)
    A weak Philip Marlowe actor and a boring movie. Can't recommend.

brasher_doubloon_ver2.jpg

Red River (1948)
    A western classic by Howard Hawks, with John Wayne, Montgomery Clift in his first role, and the always wonderful Walter Brennan.

red.jpg

The Big Clock (1948)
    Ray Milland, Maureen O'Sullivan, Charles Laughton. The lead character is framed for a murder and hired to investigate it. This was good. (Btw, the 1987 film No Way Out starring Kevin Costner is a remake of this story, set in different environment and time.)

bigcloc3.jpg

The Heiress (1949)
    A drama about an heiress, her emotionally abusive father, and a handsome suitor the father immediately mistrusts. Directed by William Wyler. Olivia de Havilland as the title character (she won an Oscar for it) and Montgomery Clift.

2ffee362c523b76fc22127dada53d0e8.jpg

A Letter To Three Wives (1949)
    Directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz. I know it got praise and awards, but I can't say I enjoyed this one, the story and several characters irritated me too much.

MV5BNDc3Mjk2ZjMtNGM2Ni00ZjE5LWE2NTktMzg5MzFhZWE4NmY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjk3NTUyOTc@._V1_.jpg

ThirdManUSPoster.jpg

The Third Man (1949)
    A British film noir classic, set in Vienna after WW2. An absolutely beautiful movie that needs to be seen more than once even just to admire the direction, cinematography and use of locations. My goodness. It's good otherwise as well, story, acting and all. And an interesting score composed and played on zither.

But daaaamn this movie looks seriously gorgeous.

8924697_orig.jpg

the-third-man-298.jpg?w=700&h=

the-third-man-472.jpg?w=700&h=

060taxi7.gif

064stairs.gif

066martinsflee-arches.gif

070martinsflee-car.gif

110trap-baloonshadow.gif

133sewer-grate-out2.gif

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited August 2017 Posts: 28,694
    @Tuulia, always a danger to watch The Third Man, if only because every other film looks like garbage afterward. :))

But seriously, this is why I love noirs. They have never and will never be matched as atmospheric film experiences.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    If only Bond could imbrace it's suspense and atmospheric roots rather than the melodrama of Craig and the bombast of Brosnan.
    @Tuulia, always a danger to watch The Third Man, if only because every other film looks like garbage afterward. :))

But seriously, this is why I love noirs. They have never and will never be matched as atmospheric film experiences.

Yeah, that is a danger. :P It's a superbly beautiful masterpiece.
    If only Bond could imbrace it's suspense and atmospheric roots rather than the melodrama of Craig and the bombast of Brosnan.

Short holiday.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,883
    American Hustle (2013)
    mF2cQF0.jpg

First viewing of this David O. Russell directed dark comedy since its release in the theatre. I loved it then and really had a good time with it tonight as well. It’s interesting, funny and has brilliant performances by nearly all of the leads. Set in the late 70s the film focuses on two con artists (Irving Rosenfeld and Sydney Prosser, played by Christian Bale and Amy Adams respectively) who share a love of Duke Ellington. Irving & Sydney are made for each other. She (an ex-stripper with a knack for a scam) completes and inspires him. However, Irving is still married to his unpredictable, needy and somewhat volatile young wife Rosalyn (Jennifer Lawrence), who he is fearful of leaving because he may lose contact with his adopted son. This complicates matters.

During one of their scams they are apprehended by ambitious & aggressive rogue FBI agent Richie DiMaso (Bradley Cooper). DiMaso offers the pair a deal in exchange for immunity. They have to assist law enforcement to bring down a series of corrupt politicians in an elaborate sting operation. Targets of the plan include New Jersey Mayor Carmine Polito (Jeremy Renner). Irving objects, as he has become friends with Polito and thinks him an honourable man who is doing the best for the residents of New Jersey, but DiMaso insists. When the mafia (including notorious enforcer Victor Tellegio, played brilliantly by Robert DeNiro in a small part) gets involved, Irving realizes he has to find a way to turn the tables on DiMaso, for the sake of his life.

This is a great film. It's quirky, humorous and colourful in that 70’s way. The performances are all quite superb. Bale is almost unrecognizable as the portly balding Irving (this guy was Batman?). Adams is intoxicating, sultry and alluring as his crafty accomplice Sydney. Cooper is outstanding as the hot tempered & unhinged DiMaso. Renner is credible and sympathetic as the hapless Polito and DeNiro is chilling as Mafioso Tellegio. Finally, Lawrence is absolutely mesmerizing as the emotional, boisterous trouble maker Rosalyn (this is the first film I ever saw her in and I realized straight away what the big deal was. I couldn't take my eyes of her whenever she was in a scene, and that's saying something because everyone is at the top of their game here).

Recommended. Great fun.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Oceans eleven
    Great, original, and fun

Oceans twelve
    Can only be described as one of the worst films I have ever seen.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I actually prefer oceans twelve to the other two. The first one is great though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Twelve isn't the kind of film you'd grasp on first view. I also thought it was nonsensical and bad at first, but after a couple of more times of viewings, it grew on me a lot. I like it well enough.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I didn't like Twelve myself either. It's very stylish but a bit pretentious (especially the Bruce Willis/Julia Roberts doppelganger thing).
    edited August 2017 Posts: 23,530
    I prefer the Rat Pack version of Danny Ocean and Co, never got into the Soderbergh films thought they were over stylised and pretentious admittedly I never revisited them since there releases.
    Ok,im throwing this out there.

I have been offered a free film ,one of these :

KONG SKULL ISLAND
    JOHN WICK 2
    LOGAN (AND THE BLACK & WHITE VERSION,LOGAN NOIR)
    FREEFIRE
    TRAINSPOTTING 2
    ARRIVAL
    THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN.

I haven't seen any of them so I would like your advice on which one to get,free ?!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Probably Trainspotting 2
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Logan.

Arrival is also good.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Dead of Night (1945) Although I've know about this film for most of my adult life, I've never had the chance to see it…until last night that is when it was shown on Talking Pictures TV. This is a great Ealing anthology film, five creepy stories (and one silly one) that show Ealing could do much more than make unfunny comedies! (Sacrilege! Hang the bastard!). Each of these stories had spine tingling moments and of course saves the best till last. A great British movie that anyone interested in film should see. Glad I did, just a shame it took so long.