No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited July 2017 Posts: 23,883
    I know it's been mentioned here a lot since that film came out, but I really don't want to see a Logan style Bond film. It's one of my biggest concerns for B25.
  • SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,138
    bondjames wrote: »
    I know it's been mentioned here a lot since that film came out, but I really don't want to see a Logan style Bond film. It's one of my biggest concerns for B25.

I think his tenure ended with Mendes, I feel that as Purvis and Wade had to come to the rescue the last time, the Bond 25 story will be theirs and theirs alone. I think Neil Purvis also gave an interview last year in which he said, doing Bond films in the style of Spectre are a thing of the past.

Speaking to The Telegraph in February, the writers suggested the new film would be “quite different” to 2015’s “Spectre,” especially in the light of the rise of President Donald Trump and Brexit.

“I’m just not sure how you would go about writing a James Bond film now,” Wade said. “Each time, you’ve got to say something about Bond’s place in the world, which is Britain’s place in the world. But things are moving so quickly now, that becomes tricky. With people like Trump, the Bond villain has become a reality. So when they do another one, it will be interesting to see how they deal with the fact that the world has become a fantasy.”

I think his tenure ended with Mendes, I feel that as Purvis and Wade had to come to the rescue the last time, the Bond 25 story will be theirs and theirs alone.
    I don't mean John Logan though. I meant Wolverine Logan.

I think his tenure ended with Mendes, I feel that as Purvis and Wade had to come to the rescue the last time, the Bond 25 story will be theirs and theirs alone.

LOL!!!!

Why is it a concern to you?

I didn't really enjoy the film to be honest. It was too emotionally dark and depressing for me.

Unlike some, I'm not wed to 'Craig's story arc' as Bond. I'm wed to Bond (mainly the film character). After the past decade I want something uplifting and entirely mission driven. Bond being the best he can be. I'm not interested in any more character peel backs or 'resolution' for the next one.

That's just me though.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It's also a concern to me, because they'll give us a miserable Bond film.

Skyfall 2

Logan? Didn't Haggis write that one? I don't mean Paul Haggis though. I mean Haggis the traditional Scottish food.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Skyfall 2

Exactly. An ageing Bond holed up using his wits to defeat a band of assailants while protecting a woman. That's the third act of SF and we've seen it.

“I’m just not sure how you would go about writing a James Bond film now,” Wade said. “Each time, you’ve got to say something about Bond’s place in the world, which is Britain’s place in the world.

Is that true, though? How about just sending Bond on a mission without introspection and without personal stakes? It's not like it's not possible. Just have Bond stop the villain from doing bad things and save the day. You'd be saying Bond's place in the world is simply in the entertainment department.

Skyfall 2

Exactly. An ageing Bond holed up using his wits to defeat a band of assailants while protecting a woman. That's the third act of SF and we've seen it.

It's more than the third act of just skyfall. Really don't understand the drive to replace Craig. He is the best bond since Connery, his performances in CR and SP in particular rank among the best bond portrayals ever. Leave the mdeline/spectre plot behind, do a one off sendoff for Craig. Reboot spectre at a later time with a different cast and over the course of at least 3 films.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    mattjoes wrote: »

“I’m just not sure how you would go about writing a James Bond film now,” Wade said. “Each time, you’ve got to say something about Bond’s place in the world, which is Britain’s place in the world.

Is that true, though? How about just sending Bond on a mission without introspection and without personal stakes? It's not like it's not possible. Just have Bond stop the villain from doing bad things and save the day. You'd be saying Bond's place in the world is simply in the entertainment department.

Bingo.

Skyfall 2

Worryingly, there does seem to be a section of members here that would be quite happy to see another retread of SF all over again. I'm with you on this @Wiz. Seen it and don't want to see it again, thank you.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 2,138

Skyfall 2

Craig is a guaranteed return for me, I can only see a story that does not repeat what has been done. And what hasn't Craig done already?

Hasn't done is been far detached from MI6 and actually under cover on a job.

Furthermore he hasn't yet done a story that doesn't touch on back story or rely upon vengeance of a loved one.

A Solo mission required that is about his job rather than his personal life, CR to Spectre wrapped up the back story. As I said in another post, no need to reference them now, no need to speak of them, let Bond be Bond off the leash globe trotting and digging in to something that opens cans of worms.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2017 Posts: 4,043
    If Craig comes back I wouldn't mind a retired Bond as a reluctant hero forced to help someone plot. Madeline can already be dead (killed by a Spectre agent), but Blofeld is still in prison. Bond isn't out for revenge. He's living quietly in isolation, meets someone who needs his help, has to come out of retirement and do some James Bond stuff to save the day and in his own head earn redemption for failing to protect Madeline.

I know, not great, but I'd rather that than a revenge film with him going up against Spectre/Blofeld again. I just really don't want Craig to come back at this point. I can't think of a single route for them to take that'd be a completely satisfying story for me. All the options would either feel tacked on or boring. It really feels like time for a fresh start but I have a bad feeling that Craig is going to return after all. And maybe they could surprise me pull off something special with a straight SP sequel but Purvis and Wade doing the script is a red flag straight away. I feel that in terms of themes, tone, etc, it's just going to be more of the same and the plot will be a by the numbers one last mission to get Blofeld and avenge Madeline film.

I know I'm being very pesimistic but I really can't get behind the idea of Craig returning at all and I say that as a fan of him and SP. If he does though then of course I'll be rooting for them to surprise me and pull it off. I'll be hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

We already had the worst with SPECTRE, I know you liked it but that film is why we are where we are now.
    Dennison wrote: »
    I am not familiar with Demange or Mackenzie (though I've seen Hell or High Water), but know Villeneuve's work quite well. The latter can scale up or down, do realistic or high art grand.

If these three really are the finalists for the director's chair, can we glean what direction EON is headed in with the next film? I'm surmising that it will be more down to earth and gritty. Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. I think they'll be looking to do something very similar to 'Logan', the last Wolverine movie i.e. a stripped-down story about an old gunfighter making one last stand. This approach will please Craig as minimal locations will mean a less punishing schedule and really allow his acting to shine.

Straight adaptation of TSWLM?

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. It would be perfect if they go down the Logan route, please us book fans too to get an adaptation of one of the few bits of Fleming left.

Awful. They're aiming for a billion dollar box office. What's the word of mouth going to be like on that?

'Have you seen the new Bond film yet? Bet it's packed full of stunts and excitement?'

'Not exactly. First half is like the letters page from Jackie about some bird's first adolescent sexual fumblings. Then it's like an episode of Crossroads with Bond instead of Benny. There's a bit of a fight at the end.'

'That sounds rubbish mate.'

'Tell me about it. I only went and dropped £20 on BFI IMAX tickets didn't I.'

'Don't think I'll bother frankly.'

Good God, I wasn't for a minute suggesting they adapt the first half of the book

So what are you suggesting? 'The Hateful Four' with them all having a chinwag in the motel for 90 mins before a big fight and shootout for the last half hour?

Some people want a Tarantino Bond so I suppose given the schlocky American setting he'd be ideal for this ill conceived project.

Samuel L Jackson & Michael Madsen as Sluggsy and Horror and Uma Thurman as Vivienne?

I'll pass thanks.

If I dream bad tonight, it will be because of you.

Wasn't me who started this mate!

People clamour for more Fleming but ignore the fact he said TSWLM shouldn't be made into a film. I'm prepared to have faith in the great man that he knew what he was talking about.

What next? People suggesting we film the scrambled eggs recipe from 007 in New York?

Could be a winner. Have Ainsley Harriot as the next Bond too to tick the diversity box.

Wizard you kill me.
    At the risk of offending his die hard fans, after SP I've felt that Craig's iteration has to some extent hijacked Bond. It's too much about him and his iteration's troubles & history. I find that distracting when I go back and watch the earlier films (which I much prefer).

Moreover, the whole thing doesn't jive for me due to the poor execution in the last film. I find it 'shoehorned' in to accommodate his sensibilities and reboot iteration. It doesn't help that I grew up with Blofeld and Bond.

These are the primary reasons I want a new Bond actor, and not because I have any dislike against Craig's portrayal (although I didn't like how he played it in SP). It's more on account of it all being about him these days. Even the 'wrist slash', 'money' and 'will he won't he' thing all revolves around him. It's becoming a bit tiresome.

Again, sorry to offend.
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Dennison wrote: »
    I am not familiar with Demange or Mackenzie (though I've seen Hell or High Water), but know Villeneuve's work quite well. The latter can scale up or down, do realistic or high art grand.

If these three really are the finalists for the director's chair, can we glean what direction EON is headed in with the next film? I'm surmising that it will be more down to earth and gritty. Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. I think they'll be looking to do something very similar to 'Logan', the last Wolverine movie i.e. a stripped-down story about an old gunfighter making one last stand. This approach will please Craig as minimal locations will mean a less punishing schedule and really allow his acting to shine.

Straight adaptation of TSWLM?

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. It would be perfect if they go down the Logan route, please us book fans too to get an adaptation of one of the few bits of Fleming left.

Awful. They're aiming for a billion dollar box office. What's the word of mouth going to be like on that?

'Have you seen the new Bond film yet? Bet it's packed full of stunts and excitement?'

'Not exactly. First half is like the letters page from Jackie about some bird's first adolescent sexual fumblings. Then it's like an episode of Crossroads with Bond instead of Benny. There's a bit of a fight at the end.'

'That sounds rubbish mate.'

'Tell me about it. I only went and dropped £20 on BFI IMAX tickets didn't I.'

'Don't think I'll bother frankly.'

Good God, I wasn't for a minute suggesting they adapt the first half of the book

So what are you suggesting? 'The Hateful Four' with them all having a chinwag in the motel for 90 mins before a big fight and shootout for the last half hour?

Some people want a Tarantino Bond so I suppose given the schlocky American setting he'd be ideal for this ill conceived project.

Samuel L Jackson & Michael Madsen as Sluggsy and Horror and Uma Thurman as Vivienne?

I'll pass thanks.

If I dream bad tonight, it will be because of you.

Wasn't me who started this mate!

People clamour for more Fleming but ignore the fact he said TSWLM shouldn't be made into a film. I'm prepared to have faith in the great man that he knew what he was talking about.

What next? People suggesting we film the scrambled eggs recipe from 007 in New York?

Could be a winner. Have Ainsley Harriot as the next Bond too to tick the diversity box.

Wizard you kill me.

I'm sure there was someone suggesting Ainsley Harriot should be the next Bond in the Who Could Be Bond thread.
    bondsum wrote: »

Skyfall 2

Worryingly, there does seem to be a section of members here that would be quite happy to see another retread of SF all over again. I'm with you on this @Wiz. Seen it and don't want to see it again, thank you.

I loved SF but I don't want to see a re-tread of it.
    Just had a thought - Lee Smith and Hoyte van Hoytema both worked on Spectre - paving the way for Christopher Nolan to join his editor and cinematographer?
    SF was painful enough for me to stir me up around galaxies with anger and anxiety for years, the way the Brosnan years did to some, here, so another SF will definitely eliminate my whole interest in the film.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited July 2017 Posts: 1,165
    A compromise I'd suggest would be to keep DC on for two more films, one-stand alone (maybe for B25, as a refresher from SP), and finish with B26 to wrap up the Spectre/Blofeld plotline. We could even use B25 as our movie to explain Swann's absence, leaving B26 as pure Bond vs Blofeld. Oh, oh, oh! And we could also use that gap to avoid the obligatory prison break sequence, and instead explain in one line that Blofeld escaped between B24 and B26.

All that said, I'm not convinced Craig is up for two more pictures if the rumors are true.

I didn't really enjoy the film to be honest. It was too emotionally dark and depressing for me.

Unlike some, I'm not wed to 'Craig's story arc' as Bond. I'm wed to Bond (mainly the film character). After the past decade I want something uplifting and entirely mission driven. Bond being the best he can be. I'm not interested in any more character peel backs or 'resolution' for the next one.

That's just me though.

Well, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Yet, it also depends on Neal Purvis & Robert Wade.....
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 386
    Agree with the calls to ditch the angst and just bloody put 007 on a mission.

I'd rather see the writers draw inspiration from Logan's Run than Logan.

Bond comes across a society where everyone dies at 30, so he shags himself stupid before remembering to put a bullet through Blofeld's skull.

Anything would be better than another existential crisis.

That's just me though.

Right now at this very moment I really want to hug you!

Skyfall 2

No, don't worry. Not that bad.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    I'm not saying that I would particularly welcome EON going down the Logan route, just that it wouldn't surprise me if they did, as they've often looked to other successful formulas in the past (Blaxploitation=LALD, Bruce lee =TMWTGG, Star Wars=MR, Miami vice=LTK, Dark Knight=SF etc.). If so, wouldn't be the worse idea IMO to use some appropriate Fleming material as a source.

There's nothing more I'd like then a straight Commander Bond on mission, no personal angles, no navel-gazing movie but i don't think with Craig, particularly at this stage of his tenure, we're going to get it. Let him have his emotional send-off and then all guns blazing for a fresh reimagining with the new guys (hopefully Nolan and Hardy).
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm not saying that I would particularly welcome EON going down the Logan route, just that it wouldn't surprise me if they did, as they've often looked to other successful formulas in the past (Blaxploitation=LALD, Bruce lee =TMWTGG, Star Wars=MR, Miami vice=LTK, Dark Knight=SF etc.). If so, wouldn't be the worse idea IMO to use some appropriate Fleming material as a source.

There's nothing more I'd like then a straight Commander Bond on mission, no personal angles, no navel-gazing movie but i don't think with Craig, particularly at this stage of his tenure, we're going to get it. Let him have his emotional send-off and then all guns blazing for a fresh reimagining with the new guys (hopefully Nolan and Hardy).

I would be very surprised if that wasn't the route they take if Craig is back.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Nolan and Hardy won't be any different from the Craig extravaganza of the emotional parade.