No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    jake24 wrote: »
    Quick question regarding the thread:

I'm attempting to give the front page a bit of a facelift by color coding. Any thoughts on how I should go about doing this? I've started by bolding each piece of "official" news (you'll notice the single bolded news item under July 2017).

Green-official
    Yellow or orange-uncertain
    Red-debunked
    Do you think previous comments from the regulars/Mendes should be separate?

Not sure what to do with items like this:

"Daniel Craig confirms in an interview he has no plans for the next 2 years, but is considering some theater work in NY, opening up the possibility for another 3 year gap."

I wouldn't count it as official news since actors and the like don't often give useful information in interviews, and are usually very nonspecific and vague. I wouldn't necessarily class it as uncertain either. I say leave such info in plain text.
    How about lighter green for "confirmed" and darker green for "official"?
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Is there a date for the Kings premiere? I'll probably go just to see Barbara (insert heart face)
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited July 2017 Posts: 10,588
    Is there a date for the Kings premiere? I'll probably go just to see Barbara (insert heart face)
    Trying to find that out, @dominicgreene. Planning on going myself.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Trying to find that out, @dominicgreene. Planning on going myself.

I'm not sure if Tiff would post a schedule or not.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Quick question regarding the thread:

I'm attempting to give the front page a bit of a facelift by color coding. Any thoughts on how I should go about doing this? I've started by bolding each piece of "official" news (you'll notice the single bolded news item under July 2017).

Green-official
    Yellow or orange-uncertain
    Red-debunked
    Do you think previous comments from the regulars/Mendes should be separate?

Not sure what to do with items like this:

"Daniel Craig confirms in an interview he has no plans for the next 2 years, but is considering some theater work in NY, opening up the possibility for another 3 year gap."

I wouldn't count it as official news since actors and the like don't often give useful information in interviews, and are usually very nonspecific and vague. I wouldn't necessarily class it as uncertain either. I say leave such info in plain text.
    How about lighter green for "confirmed" and darker green for "official"?

I suppose that would work well.
    From when is that quite?
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Any of the 3 directors mentioned would be good choices, they are solid talents!

David Holmes scoring a Bond would make me so, so happy! Such an underrated composer, his 3 Ocean's scores are some of my favourite ever. The man is pure class.
  • DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast
    bondjames wrote: »
    I am not familiar with Demange or Mackenzie (though I've seen Hell or High Water), but know Villeneuve's work quite well. The latter can scale up or down, do realistic or high art grand.

If these three really are the finalists for the director's chair, can we glean what direction EON is headed in with the next film? I'm surmising that it will be more down to earth and gritty. Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. I think they'll be looking to do something very similar to 'Logan', the last Wolverine movie i.e. a stripped-down story about an old gunfighter making one last stand. This approach will please Craig as minimal locations will mean a less punishing schedule and really allow his acting to shine.

I am not familiar with Demange or Mackenzie (though I've seen Hell or High Water), but know Villeneuve's work quite well. The latter can scale up or down, do realistic or high art grand.

If these three really are the finalists for the director's chair, can we glean what direction EON is headed in with the next film? I'm surmising that it will be more down to earth and gritty. Thoughts?

My thoughts exactly. I think they'll be looking to do something very similar to 'Logan', the last Wolverine movie i.e. a stripped-down story about an old gunfighter making one last stand. This approach will please Craig as minimal locations will mean a less punishing schedule and really allow his acting to shine.

Straight adaptation of TSWLM?
    The Logan comparisons have given me a thought. If Craig is out and they want to take their time casting Bond no 7, why not bring Brosnan out of retirement for a one off self contained Unforgiven esque old man Bond film to tide us over until they get the new era sorted out.

Not that I think this will ever happen in a million years but y'know, a man can dream.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I wouldn't complain. ;)
    The Logan comparisons have given me a thought. If Craig is out and they want to take their time casting Bond no 7, why not bring Brosnan out of retirement for a one off self contained Unforgiven esque old man Bond film to tide us over until they get the new era sorted out.

Not that I think this will ever happen in a million years but y'know, a man can dream.

No, bad idea.
    It'd be a dream come true for me. EON focus all their time and attention on Bond 26/Bond no 7 but in the mean time give Tarantino or someone free reign to make a one off film to tide us over. Doesn't even really have to be a Brosnan film in theory, but if Craig is out and you want a film out but they haven't found a suitable replacement then may as well bring back someone who's proven themselves to be a good Bond for a one off, and Brosnan was brilliant. Plus imagine the risks they could take with a one off self contained film like that. I want Unforgiven with spies starring Pierce Brosnan as James Bond now please EON.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I wouldn't complain. ;)

Thought you'd like the idea @Murdock xD
    Dennison wrote: »

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. It would be perfect if they go down the Logan route, please us book fans too to get an adaptation of one of the few bits of Fleming left.

Wow, I hadn't even thought about that. It would be perfect if they go down the Logan route, please us book fans too to get an adaptation of one of the few bits of Fleming left.
    Didn't Fleming stipulate that Eon could only use the title of TSWLM for the movie and not the actual content? My only gripe about another "old man Bond" story is that we've already been there with Skyfall.

Personally, I don't want to see another Shane-inspired western movie, regardless of how good some people thought Logan was. Let Logan be what is was, and let Bond be what it should be, that is something not influenced by other recent movie trends.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Awful. They're aiming for a billion dollar box office. What's the word of mouth going to be like on that?

'Have you seen the new Bond film yet? Bet it's packed full of stunts and excitement?'

'Not exactly. First half is like the letters page from Jackie about some bird's first adolescent sexual fumblings. Then it's like an episode of Crossroads with Bond instead of Benny. There's a bit of a fight at the end.'

'That sounds rubbish mate.'

'Tell me about it. I only went and dropped £20 on BFI IMAX tickets didn't I.'

'Don't think I'll bother frankly.'

As horrifying the thought is, given the enormous lack of creativity at EON, I wouldn't put it past them.

As horrifying the thought is, given the enormous lack of creativity at EON, I wouldn't put it past them.

Could at least tie up a product placement deal with Travel Tavern.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 805

Awful. They're aiming for a billion dollar box office. What's the word of mouth going to be like on that?

'Have you seen the new Bond film yet? Bet it's packed full of stunts and excitement?'

'Not exactly. First half is like the letters page from Jackie about some bird's first adolescent sexual fumblings. Then it's like an episode of Crossroads with Bond instead of Benny. There's a bit of a fight at the end.'

Good God, I wasn't for a minute suggesting they adapt the first half of the book
    edited July 2017 Posts: 9,117

Good God, I wasn't for a minute suggesting they adapt the first half of the book

So what are you suggesting? 'The Hateful Four' with them all having a chinwag in the motel for 90 mins before a big fight and shootout for the last half hour?

Some people want a Tarantino Bond so I suppose given the schlocky American setting he'd be ideal for this ill conceived project.

Samuel L Jackson & Michael Madsen as Sluggsy and Horror and Uma Thurman as Vivienne?

I'll pass thanks.

So what are you suggesting? 'The Hateful Four' with them all having a chinwag in the motel for 90 mins before a big fight and shootout for the last half hour?

Some people want a Tarantino Bond so I suppose given the schlocky American setting he'd be ideal for this ill conceived project.

Samuel L Jackson & Michael Madsen as Sluggsy and Horror and Uma Thurman as Vivienne?

I'll pass thanks.

Me too.
    If Craig comes back I wouldn't mind a retired Bond as a reluctant hero forced to help someone plot. Madeline can already be dead (killed by a Spectre agent), but Blofeld is still in prison. Bond isn't out for revenge. He's living quietly in isolation, meets someone who needs his help, has to come out of retirement and do some James Bond stuff to save the day and in his own head earn redemption for failing to protect Madeline.

I know, not great, but I'd rather that than a revenge film with him going up against Spectre/Blofeld again. I just really don't want Craig to come back at this point. I can't think of a single route for them to take that'd be a completely satisfying story for me. All the options would either feel tacked on or boring. It really feels like time for a fresh start but I have a bad feeling that Craig is going to return after all. And maybe they could surprise me pull off something special with a straight SP sequel but Purvis and Wade doing the script is a red flag straight away. I feel that in terms of themes, tone, etc, it's just going to be more of the same and the plot will be a by the numbers one last mission to get Blofeld and avenge Madeline film.

I know I'm being very pesimistic but I really can't get behind the idea of Craig returning at all and I say that as a fan of him and SP. If he does though then of course I'll be rooting for them to surprise me and pull it off. I'll be hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

I'll pass thanks.

If I dream bad tonight, it will be because of you.
    If Craig comes back I wouldn't mind a retired Bond as a reluctant hero forced to help someone plot. Madeline can already be dead (killed by a Spectre agent), but Blofeld is still in prison. Bond isn't out for revenge. He's living quietly in isolation, meets someone who needs his help, has to come out of retirement and do some James Bond stuff to save the day and in his own head earn redemption for failing to protect Madeline.

I know, not great, but I'd rather that than a revenge film with him going up against Spectre/Blofeld again. I just really don't want Craig to come back at this point. I can't think of a single route for them to take that'd be a completely satisfying story for me. All the options would either feel tacked on or boring. It really feels like time for a fresh start but I have a bad feeling that Craig is going to return after all. And maybe they could surprise me pull off something special with a straight SP sequel but Purvis and Wade doing the script is a red flag straight away. I feel that in terms of themes, tone, etc, it's just going to be more of the same and the plot will be a by the numbers one last mission to get Blofeld and avenge Madeline film.

I know I'm being very pesimistic but I really can't get behind the idea of Craig returning at all and I say that as a fan of him and SP. If he does though then of course I'll be rooting for them to surprise me and pull it off. I'll be hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

All this thinking is heading in the very wrong direction.

I'll pass thanks.

If I dream bad tonight, it will be because of you.

Wasn't me who started this mate!

People clamour for more Fleming but ignore the fact he said TSWLM shouldn't be made into a film. I'm prepared to have faith in the great man that he knew what he was talking about.

What next? People suggesting we film the scrambled eggs recipe from 007 in New York?

Could be a winner. Have Ainsley Harriot as the next Bond too to tick the diversity box.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    From when is that quite?
    Back in August 2015.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 805

I'll pass thanks.

The rest of my post disappeared for some reason so I'll try again...

I think the second half of the book could be used as the basis of a section of Bond 25 if they decided to go down the Logan route, i.e. Bond holed up, using his wits to defeat a small group of assailants. This could be book-ended with other scenes that expand on the story. I actually think a loose adaptation of the FYEO short story could work here too. So film starts with Bond, now out of the service, being tracked down by M and asked to do one more job. Bond then stakes out the villains in the woods and eliminates them but not before taking some damage himself (alternatively, another double 0 could track an escaped Blofeld down, with Bond taking the role of the rogue assassin with the crossbow). Bloodied and battered, Bond then holes up to recover but is tracked down himself for a final showdown.

Done right this could be great. Wolverine fans didn't seem to mind a new approach to seeing that character in something different to the usual CGI fest of the X-Men movies if the $600m and counting box office shows. EON went for spectacular last time out and were we left with a hollow, unsatisfying imitation of a Bond movie.

Time for something different...
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    QuantumArt wrote: »
    Hoping Arnold would make a come back, A Bond score in all its glory .

I wouldn't be mad if Arnold came back but this is kind of the problem I have with EoN and many Bond fans for the most part, the inability to move on. It's always bring Brosnan back, bring Arnold back and EoN keep bringing back P + W despite them having supposedly "moved on" after SF only to be brought back again for the SP. Things will never progress creatively if more effort isn't put into looking at new people. Fortunately the apparent director shortlist imo is the best piece of news for a Bond film in years which as exciting as it is, is also quite sad. In any case the Bond films going forward are in desperate need of being overhauled. Respect the legacy and make worthy successor films that remind audiences why Bond is THE business in the first place.
    Agreed. We'll get there when they finally decide to shake this up, reportedly with B26.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I got the kind of Bond film you were suggesting straight off, @DrShatterhand.
    A good one.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 1,162

I'll pass thanks.

The rest of my post disappeared for some reason so I'll try again...

I think the second half of the book could be used as the basis of a section of Bond 25 if they decided to go down the Logan route, i.e. Bond holed up, using his wits to defeat a small group of assailants. This could be book-ended with other scenes that expand on the story. I actually think a loose adaptation of the FYEO short story could work here too. So film starts with Bond, now out of the service, being tracked down by M and asked to do one more job. Bond then stakes out the villains in the woods and eliminates them but not before taking some damage himself (alternatively, another double 0 could track an escaped Blofeld down, with Bond taking the role of the rogue assassin with the crossbow). Bloodied and battered, Bond then holes up to recover but is tracked down himself for a final showdown.

Done right this could be great. Wolverine fans didn't seem to mind a new approach to seeing that character in something different to the usual CGI fest of the X-Men movies if the $600m and counting box office shows. EON went for spectacular last time out and were we left with a hollow, unsatisfying imitation of a Bond movie.

Time for something different...

Yeah. For something different that's already been done by other franchises, let alone standalone movies.