The Living Daylights Appreciation

Comments

Always wondered why some hate Daltons delivery of the "Bond.." line. To me it made perfect sense. He wasnt making a big issue of it and was anxious to report back to base!
    Unlike Brossa deeply laboured reading of the line in GE which made me groan!
    Obviously not too anxious as he delayed the reporting to have some unconvincing fun time with a wooden bint. The only part of the PTS I don't like.
    He didnt delay. He was waiting for them to answer!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Always wondered why some hate Daltons delivery of the "Bond.." line. To me it made perfect sense. He wasnt making a big issue of it and was anxious to report back to base!
    Unlike Brossa deeply laboured reading of the line in GE which made me groan!

I get that - it comes at the very end of a grand action sequence, and as you say, he's in a rush to report in, so it's a mix of haste and exhaustion, but I still don't care for the hurried delivery of it.
    Fair enough. I suppose he wasnt given a proper chance to do the line unlike Connery and Craig, though i like Rogers twinkle in his eye doing the line in LALD!
    I don't really have any feeling regarding Dalton's delivery. It's just...ok. Fits the scenario fine but doesn't make me smile or anything.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited July 2017 Posts: 17,687
    I loved his delivery because it was just a guy saying his name. Unlike anything before or since. Who am I? isall. chrisisall. See? Plain & simple. ;)
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    visited Gibraltar the other day. Managed to do a Daylights moment at (what hope was) the right gate.

I wondered if you'd had a nice time. Get a photo?
    I did but am struggling to upload it via my phone. Will do it when bk home.
  • Major_BoothroydMajor_Boothroyd Republic of Isthmus
    it was TLD that kickstarted my Bond obsession.

It's my favourite PTS and climax of the series, with the film sitting 4th in my Bond ratings.

It never gets old no matter how many viewings and it also has one of my favourite scores.

Love it!

All of these are exactly my feelings!

By the way - did anyone listen to the latest Dan Gale episode celebrating TLD with an 'alternate commentary' on the latest James Bond Radio podcast? It was pretty special. That guy is excellent and hilarious.
    It's my third favorite of the series behind OHMSS and FRWL for me, and a "template" Bond film that I think in general other entries in the series should try to emulate.

Amongst the many really good things about it we have-

A twist filled true espionage story, with a little bit of a "ripped from the headlines" nature, plus the classic defection scene early on hitting home the "spy film" point even more.

One of the best performances from Dalton and really good chemistry between Bond and Kara.

Great action, with the big battle in Afghanistan, the fight on the plane, and of course who could forget Green Four.

An elegant European atmosphere, which I think is fitting for nearly any Bond film.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    It's also a Bond film that has Bond working alone, acting on his instincts and using detective work to get to the bottom of Koskov's fake defection.

It was definitely the best Bond film since the sixties at that time.
  • GBFGBF
    Yes it is a great film. True espionage. Maybe the last we have had.
  • edited July 2017 Posts: 11,189
    DELETE
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Think it's very memorable in that it's the last true Cold War thriller.
    Oh God, I miss the cold war!
    Funny thing is, we have one running right now but somehow no spy thriller writer seems up to the challenge. Everything revolves around explosions and jihad.
  • RC7RC7
    it was TLD that kickstarted my Bond obsession.

It's my favourite PTS and climax of the series, with the film sitting 4th in my Bond ratings.

It never gets old no matter how many viewings and it also has one of my favourite scores.

Love it!

All of these are exactly my feelings!

By the way - did anyone listen to the latest Dan Gale episode celebrating TLD with an 'alternate commentary' on the latest James Bond Radio podcast? It was pretty special. That guy is excellent and hilarious.

Indeed. I've had drinks with Dan and he's both a lovely and very talented bloke. Don't think I've ever met a bigger Dalton fan.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I'm listening to it now. It is like listening to a review by Alan Partidge, what with all the little pellets of trivia.

"Stop getting Bond wrong."

Definitely Alan.

I'm listening to it now. It is like listening to a review by Alan Partidge, what with all the little pellets of trivia.

"Stop getting Bond wrong."

Definitely Alan.

"It's Bond...Jones de Bond "
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    edited July 2017 Posts: 3,262
    Hey, welcome back @PrinceKamalKhan. :)

Thanks, @MajorDSmythe :) The lure of celebrating the 30th anniversary of our mutual favorite post-1960s Bond film and the start of the all-too-brief tenure of our mutual favorite post-1960s Bond actor was too much for me to resist. In looking over the forums we need to keep up the fanbase appreication for the wonderful 1987 Bond adventure, wonderful 1987 Bond actor and wonderful 1987 Bond leading lady.
    I got to see both Dalton films on the big screen back in 2015, but such an experience doesn't compare to seeing them in 1987 and 1989.

I can't really dispute anything in that review. "Dalton brought an edge and a tangible sense of danger to the role." That one sentence sums up Dalton's take on Bond.

Agreed. One thing I would dispute in the review is that I think TLD is more successful than FYEO on being a conscious attempt to return the series to its more serious roots and was a grand success
    The film itself is full of wonderful scenes and set pieces and Dalton is a compelling Bond!
    Oh and Kara is a wonderful leading lady with genuine chemistry with Tim!! (Sorry barry007!)

Agree on your points, @Mathis1 . No need to apologize to anyone. You speak the truth. As @timmer put it once, Dalton Bond and Kara are the Bogie and Bacall of the series.
    Umm...I think if ANY Bond couple can be compared to Bogie and Bacall it HAS to be Connery and Blackman.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Umm...I think if ANY Bond couple can be compared to Bogie and Becall it HAS to be Connery and Blackman.
    +1
    Have to say, i never found Honor Blackman very alluring! Shirley Eaton on the other hand.......!
    Eaton was stunning agreed, but I'm not sure they weren't really a "couple" in GF. More a hook-up that went wrong.
    Have to say, i never found Honor Blackman very alluring! Shirley Eaton on the other hand.......!
    Same here. But as a Bond Girl character, Honor Blackman's Pussy Galore is sensational. Now, if that had been played by Shirley Eaton... I'd have invented time travelling machine by now.
    Blackman/Galore is the lead female character, not Eaton.
    I didn't say the otherwise, did I?
    I didn't say the otherwise, did I?

No, I was responding more to @Mathis1
    Umm...I think if ANY Bond couple can be compared to Bogie and Bacall it HAS to be Connery and Blackman.

They'd be a good candidate for that description too. So would Moore/Adams in OP IMHO.

I also like to think of Dalton/d'Abo as the Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers of the series:

ead00a167be0cb403ad8923d10037bcf.jpg
    CountJohn wrote: »
    It's my third favorite of the series behind OHMSS and FRWL for me, and a "template" Bond film that I think in general other entries in the series should try to emulate.

Add CR'06 to those 3 and you've got my top 004 picks for faithful-to-Fleming "template" Bond films.

CountJohn wrote: »
    Amongst the many really good things about it we have-

A twist filled true espionage story, with a little bit of a "ripped from the headlines" nature, plus the classic defection scene early on hitting home the "spy film" point even more.

One of the best performances from Dalton and really good chemistry between Bond and Kara.

Great action, with the big battle in Afghanistan, the fight on the plane, and of course who could forget Green Four.

An elegant European atmosphere, which I think is fitting for nearly any Bond film.

Well put.