'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

• NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    On his twitter feed he has made a joke about being the next Doctor, which suggests he isn't.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 5,772
    Meanwhile :

119911.jpg

mr-men-2.jpg

image.php?pid=25057&w=400

I've bought and read the first four, and found them to be cute. An ideal gift for the young Whovian in your family.
    I didn't know they were real,i thought it was just fan art !!!
    NicNac wrote: »
    Yes, I have heard it may be him - a lot of rumours to that effect. Began around the time he quit Death In Paradise, and has persisted because they are looking for a younger, more dashing Dr to bring the kids back and of course the young girls. David Tenant is their model Doctor.

Yeah definitely think that's the direction they'll go in, another Tennant type (I bet they'd actually have him back if he wanted, he was that popular). I think they're worried about the ratings which is why they've given away so much of this series, to try and drum up a bit of hype. Why else would they ruin John Simm's return in the trailers?
    I think Alan Davies would be a fun quirky Dr Who?! Never watched Jonathan Creek but have seen a lot of him in other things like QI.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    My dream signings would be Sir Ian McKellen, Bill Nighy or Tim Minchin. I know there is nooooo chance of any of them but it's a bit like a new Bond, the fun is in playing fantasy casting.

• Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Ever since The Curse of Fatal Death, I've wished Rowan Atkinson could get the gig for real:

(I'd also accept Joanna Lumley.)
    Just watched last nights and while I thought it was brilliant (loved how bleak it was), it would have been even better if the BBC hadn't decided to spoil the John Simm reveal.

Still really good though.
    Judging from how grim things looked in the flash forward at the start, him dying alone, can we assume that Bill is gonna stay dead? I think judging from the snow that scene is definitely from Christmas rather than next week, so this seems like a three part story? But then if it is next week and they actually manage to keep the identity of the new actor a secret, that'd be a brilliant twist. Right now I'm predicting that the Master kills Matt Lucas next week but Missy eventually sacrifices herself to kill the Master and save the day somehow, but the events of that episode lead directly into Christmas. Very excited to see how things play out.
    Not the BBC, The Sun. If not for them, we wouldn't have known anything till yesterday. What a bunch of.... Daleks !
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    A great episode of Doctor Who. Even with the spoilers we had seen, I was still glued to my seat. Cracking stuff.
    Indeed. Everything was practically perfect in any way. (cross fingers, touch wood) My God, may Moffat not screw this up.

Oh yes, and I think the Cybermen are the most horrific monsters in the series. After all, the only thing Daleks do is exterminate you. Better than what the Cybermen will do to you if they get their mitts on you, right ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,882
    They reeeeeeeeeeeeeely want to cast a female Doctor, what with the gender discussion. Seeing Simm's Master, reminded me why I can't bear the writing of the show at times. It is like watching Johnny Depp playing Jack Sparrow, via Liberace, in a film written/directed by Uwe Boll. It could be argued that the Master has always been a little pantomime, but Delgado and Ainley still managed to pull of a sinister side.
    It wasn't all bad, the first time the vintage Cyberman voice is heard, was a chilling moment (given how his first encounter with them cost him a life, I would have thought that the Doctor would have figured it out the moment he heard that voice). And Bill continues to be by far the best companion of the modern show.And even if I can't stand his take on the character, Simm with a goatee is a nice call back to the Delgado & Ainley Masters.
    Best episode of the series! That was classic Who from years past for me!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Great episode and the cybermen are so frightening
    I've always loved Simm in the role. He's a really good actor in general and he just oozes charisma as the master and I think the show never really used him to his full potential. So while Michelle Gomez has been brilliant I'm really glad they've bought him back, it was something I wasn't expecting to ever happen but I'm glad it did. I'd love to see Simm as a Bond villain actually. Simm in particular is just the sort of actor they'd have gone for back in the Brosnan era but nowadays they seem to want bigger names.

Actually, since Gomez has said she's leaving, can we expect to be seeing more of him? It's a nice thought but I think the next showrunner will want to cast their own version.
    Gerard wrote: »
    Not the BBC, The Sun. If not for them, we wouldn't have known anything till yesterday. What a bunch of.... Daleks !

Ah so the bit in the trailer was just added after it was leaked then? Fair enough, my mistake.

Just read a very plausible sounding theory about the finale
    The next episode is set over the course of a few years, it turns into a big war and the cybermen grow more and more advanced as the episode goes on (which is why there glimpses of the new ones in the trailer). Bill stays dead, Nardole dies too, Missy ends up sacrificing herself to take out The Master. The Doctor is injured but because he's just seen all his friends die refuses to regenerate (that's why he screamed no in the flashforward, he's holding it back) instead deciding to let himself die. Then the Christmas special is an It's a Wonderful Life sort of thing, him being inspired to regenerate and carry on.
    A terrific episode. The hint of a future female Doctor was there because it's only fair to let a woman have the part.

After all apart from Olivia Coleman, Maxine Peake, Sheridan Smith, Gillian Anderson, Suranne Jones, Vicky McClure, Helen McCrory, Joanne Froggatt, Sarah Lancashire, Keeley Hawes, Jessie Wallace, Thandie Newton, Morven Christie, Ruth Wilson, Michelle Dockery, Lily James and a couple of dozen others there simply are no roles for British women on TV.

So why shouldn't one of the few good roles for men be given to a woman?
    A terrific episode. The hint of a future female Doctor was there because it's only fair to let a woman have the part.

After all apart from Olivia Coleman, Maxine Peake, Sheridan Smith, Gillian Anderson, Suranne Jones, Vicky McClure, Helen McCrory, Joanne Froggatt, Sarah Lancashire, Keeley Hawes, Jessie Wallace, Thandie Newton, Morven Christie, Ruth Wilson, Michelle Dockery, Lily James and a couple of dozen others there simply are no roles for British women on TV.

So why shouldn't one of the few good roles for men be given to a woman?

As they make a lot of money from selling this show I am sure the hard currency does keep the job a male one. They already nearly lost Top Gear because some rightwing papers never stopped trying to slaughter the BEEBS golden goose.
    I hope you are right @SaintMark.

Just started a nuWho Bluray collection. Bought series 2 which introduces David Tenant. I will get them in a random order, depending on good deals I can pick up.

When I realised I spent a lot of time watching Dr Who on Sky Gold I realised I may as well buy them all and have the bonus stuff as well.
    I hope you are right @SaintMark.

Just started a nuWho Bluray collection. Bought series 2 which introduces David Tenant. I will get them in a random order, depending on good deals I can pick up.

When I realised I spent a lot of time watching Dr Who on Sky Gold I realised I may as well buy them all and have the bonus stuff as well.

I had the same thought about The Sweeney and Minder...I watch them all the time so I thought 'sod it' and bought them.

The episode mentioned is indeed very very good,the idea to bring back the original cybermen is a masterstroke,seriously scary..and Capaldi seems to have just found his feet IMO and is leaving,such a shame.

And as for Billy,she is one of my all time favourite companions already !!

BTW,where do some of you chaps get the hint/feeling of a female doctor,i'm not picking that up ?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,882
    barryt007 wrote: »
    BTW,where do some of you chaps get the hint/feeling of a female doctor,i'm not picking that up ?

It's just like the black Bond or female Bond nonsense. It started from somewhere, and the internet has run with it. You can't see an article on who could follow Capaldi, without the obligatory actress(es) being suggested. Names like Olivia Colmen, Phoebe Waller-Bridge (who?), and i'm sure that I have seen Helen Mirrens name included at some point as well.

Also, the Master becoming Missy makes it a lot easier for who ever is the showrunner at the time to cast an actress. "Well, if the Master can change gender, so can the Doctor." Not to mention the discussion on the Doctors gender last Saturday. The Doctor wasn't sure if he was female when he first met the Master. It feels like the ground work is being laid ready for it to happen.
    In the last episode the Doctor and Bill sat down and had a chat. The Doctor spoke about his friendship with the Master when they were young. He made a speech about the human race not being suitably evolved to put gender bias aside, and Time Lords can regenerate into any gender they like (The Master has after all).

It's the biggest clue yet that we could have a future female Doctor. It would be a gamble though. I have loved |Michelle Gomez as Missy and would almost accept her in the role if she brought the same spark. But on the whole a female Dr would be there for no other reason than to shut the whining feminists up.

Toby Jones for Miss Marple I say!!
    Daniel Radcliffe for Lara Croft!!

Make it happen.

Boy Power!!
    Thanks chaps,that just brought back a memory,i remember that now.

And as you say,Missie being female,and the Master being a Time Lord,gives a reason and carte blanche on bringing in a female Doctor.
    Phoebe Waller-Bridge (who?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoebe_Waller-Bridge

And I've seen Tilda Swinton's name too. Personnally, I wouldn't mind seeing a female Doctor, provided that they get the right actress for that, just like they managed to get Michele Gomez to play the Master (and an inspired casting that was ; IMHO, she's the best since Delgado).

For now, I'm really impatient to watch the last episode of the season. Pray Moffat doesn't screw it up. And pray that whatever I use to watch it (either iPlayer with a proxy / VPN or TV Catchup) doesn't fail.

And I've seen Tilda Swinton's name too. Personnally, I wouldn't mind seeing a female Doctor, provided that they get the right actress for that, just like they managed to get Michele Gomez to play the Master (and an inspired casting that was ; IMHO, she's the best since Delgado).

For now, I'm really impatient to watch the last episode of the season. Pray Moffat doesn't screw it up. And pray that whatever I use to watch it (either iPlayer with a proxy / VPN or TV Catchup) doesn't fail.

I'm looking forward to the season finale. Moffat has set it up nicely with the strong penultimate episode, so no reason to think he will screw it up.

I think he can hold his head up, having written some great episodes over the years. His plotting may have been convoluted at times - but his legacy is sound overall.
    Really looking forward to the finale tomorrow! Obviously sad it is Capaldi's swan song episode but he had a great run! Especially this final series of adventures!

I haven't seen anything on her CV. Colman is different, but still, no.

I though Gomez was wonderful in Green Wing. She was off the wall mental, but I preferred Sue Whites brand of lunacy to that of Missy.

I'm in the minority of possibly single figures that think Michelle Gomez should have been The Rani.
    I enjoyed the finale very much. The best bits were the scenes John Simm and Michelle Gomez had together. My favourite was when they were contemplating how to kill him at the start.

"Well we were gonna chuck you off the roof but we weren't really sure how many regenerations you had left. We'd be up and down the stairs all night".
    If that's it for both of them it's a shame but I thought it was a really fitting ending.

Hit all the right beats for me. Funny, emotional, and Capaldi was the best he's been yet. It took me ages to warm to him but I'm really going to miss him now, I feel like he's just hit his stride and now he's going. I also liked how
    His "death" wasn't as played out and dramatic as Ecclestone's, Tennant's and Smith's. Just got electrocuted, shot a few times and eventually blown up in the process of saving everyone. Died in battle.

This series has by far been the best since the first for me. And just like the first, I'm sad but sort of glad it ended when it did. You can have too much of a good thing and the show can be fairly inconsistent with quality so I'm happy that we got this one, great, semi self contained series which really didn't need any more time to tell that story.
    edited July 2017 Posts: 13,882
    Mixed feeling on this one as well. I'll start with the negative, Missy changing sides, really? Ok, ok. This series has been especially social crusade-y, so let me put it in a way that the series would understand. If it were a discussion about sexuality, the show would preach that you can't hide from yourself what you really area. The Master in all his forms, be it Delgado, Beevers, Ainley, Roberts etc... just is evil. The same way that while The Doctor might regenerate, certain characteristics don't change, as they make his overall being. I also though that the regeneration was a little too drawn out. It also brought back memories of Tennants "I don't want to go".

On to the positive, I actually did like Simm this time. As someone who has a goatee, I am pleased to see the Master now rocking one again. It adds to his overall air of villainy. The way he was dressed was also more in line with the classic Masters like Delgado and Ainley, which I also approve of.

"See this face, this is the face of someone who didn't hear a word of what you just said *side steps The Doctor and walks away*"

I didn't quite get the ending with Bill, might need to watch that bit again. Hopefully Chibnall will bring her back, if it is just for one more series to help the new Doctor.
    The 1st Doctor showing up, and in the snow no less, leads me to wonder if that scene is set during the events of The Tenth Planet. Afterall, both Doctors have died following an encounter with The Cybermen
  • DrNoDrNo North Hollywood, California, USA
    The Masters wound up being a bit pointless. Why could Missy not regenerate? Because plot and showrunner change? Bleh.

The ending with Bill...meh. I'd like a companion without a magic reset button. It would've been more interesting had she continued on as a Cyberman. Maybe the Doctor could've installed a perception filter that glitched at inopportune moments.

The Doctor rigged an explosion that blew an army of Cybermen apart but left him looking like he'd opened one of Jokey Smurf's surprise boxes.

I had always hoped they'd use David Bradley as the First Doctor in the anniversary special, so I'm elated they brought him in for the Christmas special. Looking forward to that.

That all said, this has been Capaldi's best season. Every episode a treat, except for the two multi-parters, which were kinda lame.

Another of my favourite scenes was when the master got into the spaceship and casually said (while doing his seatbelt) "the doctor's dead and he told me to tell you he always hated you". Also the shot of him casually practising makeup in preparation for his sex change. I'm so glad they bough Simm back. I think for his first couple of series Moffat felt the need to do his own thing to set his era apart but as time's gone on he's seemed more and more comfortable to reference and follow up the Russell T Davies episodes.

I don't think Missy turning good was anything to do with her gender, I think it was more to do with the time she'd spent locked up and the last couple of episodes where she worked with the Doctor having an effect on her, because she was still pretty evil before this series.

A little thing I liked was the short fight scene at the start of the episode. I know the point of the character is non violent but it does seem a bit silly how the doctor rarely just goes for the bad guy. I feel it added to the menace of the two masters too, the shots of them dancing intercut with that scene where the doctor ended up with a head wound. Refreshing actually seeing him bleed. This is the kind of darkness I wanted from series 8 instead of keeping the same tone but turning him into a callous dick who hates soldiers for no particular reason.

Bill's ending I didn't mind because it was at least foreshadowed early on. Having her just die as a cyberman would have been a great ballsy move but I think the BBC probably have rules in place about killing main cast members off because of it being a family show.

@MajorDSmythe I thought it was a little different to Tennant's because with that it was more the sense that his version of the character didn't want to change into someone else because he liked being him. With Capaldi I felt it was more he didn't want to change because he didn't feel like he could go on at all. I think that's why they had the shots of all the different cast members right back to Billie Piper, even though Capaldi never met most of them, because he wants to die in general so his whole life to that point was relevant.