'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

No spoilers, but now I'm more convinced than ever that Murray Gold should do the music for the next James Bond
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Gerard wrote: »
    No spoilers, but now I'm more convinced than ever that Murray Gold should do the music for the next James Bond

That's a great idea.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Well that was Awesome really enjoyed that episode.

Theory
    The Doctor will go back to The Masters previous regeneration for his help.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    A little slow for the most part (which isn't necessarily a bad thing), but it picked up towards the end. Extremis would be my least favourite story this series so far, which shows how good this series has been. Those Monk like creatures are quite a good invention, maybe not a classic, but still. I take it then, that this was the first of the 3 parter?
    I had the feeling it was a two parter from the start, I have not looked at the episode list or synopses so not sure if it's a three parter. I just like the atmosphere and themes in the episode though the ending felt abrupt, the writing could have been tighter, Extremis felt like it needed another part to flesh it out.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Interesting they have three different writers for each part, kind of happy in a way Moffat has great ideas though his writing can be muddled and have zero exposition at times.
    Roll on next week! Really enjoyed this today as was out last night!
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Pyramid at the end of the world felt the script was poor for this episode, worst episode of season 10, this felt like a weak Russel T Davies episode.
    I found it quite enjoyable setting the trilogy of episodes up for a changed game..
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Pyramid At The End Of The World was a little better than last weeks story, but still I think this series has been Capaldis best, on the whole.
    Though I could have done without the Trump being orange jibe (if I were American, I wouldn't have supported him, nor Clinton for that matter), but he is such an easy target for jibes like this, it lacks imagination.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I thought it Great fun, can't wait until next week !
    This is by some way Capaldi's best season.

Real shame it is his last!
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Real shame it is his last!

I thought the same taken three seasons for me to warm to his Doctor, though material is much better in Season 10.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 12,837
    Something I loved about the first series was how grounded it felt despite being a fantasy show. There were lots of clever, inventive plots that made use of the idea of "what if this, the time travel and aliens and everything, actually happened in our universe" (e.g. the conspiracy theorist in the first episode, the police investigation into Rose's disappearance and her boyfriend being blamed because the doctor took her home a year too late, and if you had a time machine wouldn't your first thought be to save a lost loved one?). As the show went on the budget got bigger, they could actually afford to have good looking sets instead of filming on council estates, and it sort of lost that feeling imo. It was still good but it became pretty much pure sci fi/fantasy: much more time spent on other planets, big alien story arcs, etc.

This series has bought that feeling back for me, particularly the last episode (have we ever seen UN troops in Doctor Who before?). There's also much more of a sense of danger and consequences.
    The sidekick's love interest didn't become a recurring character like they usually do, she died in the first episode, and even the Doctor has lost his eyesight and taken a bullet.

I lost interest over series 8 and 9 to the point where I wasn't even properly watching it but they've really redeemed themselves this year imo. It's such a shame that this is the only series we're going to get with Capaldi/Moffat/Mackie/Lucas because I'm loving this so far. It feels like the show has really hit its stride and everyone involved is doing a brilliant job. This is basically what I wanted series 8 to be.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 13,894
    I'm calling it now. The Doctor regenerates tonight, but at the end of the episode, it's revealed to be another simulation, the 12th Doctor shows up and saves the day. Then at the end of the christmas special the Doctor regenerates into the Doctor that what we saw in the simulation.
    That way, not only is it different, and technically, it comes sooner, but the next actor doesn't take over fully until christmas.

Or it could be just be along the lines of the fake 10th Doctor regeneration (the one with the hand).
    I'm calling it now. The Doctor regenerates tonight, but at the end of the episode, it's revealed to be another simulation, the 12th Doctor shows up and saves the day. Then at the end of the christmas special the Doctor regenerates into the Doctor that what we saw in the simulation.
    That way, not only is it different, and technically, it comes sooner, but the next actor doesn't take over fully until christmas.

Or it could be just be along the lines of the fake 10th Doctor regeneration (the one with the hand).

I had the thought it may be
    a simulation though with real people this time, not holograms.
    I heard a interesting theory
    possible backward regeneration
    Into Smith? Tennant? Or McGann for the latter half of this series? A backwards regeneration would be more likely than an early appearance of the next Doctor. The Lie Of The Land is written by Toby Whithouse, so my new Who standards, it would be odd for the new showrunner not to write the debut story of their new Doctor.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Into Smith? Tennant? Or McGann for the latter half of this series? A backwards regeneration would be more likely than an early appearance of the next Doctor. The Lie Of The Land is written by Toby Whithouse, so my new Who standards, it would be odd for the new showrunner not to write the debut story of their new Doctor.
    Smith... I am doubtful it will happen though if it was a backward then forward regeneration I would love that, being the first regeneration since the new cycle of regenerations it would be pretty cool. This being Moffat's last series I am expecting at least one outlandish thing before his tenure ends. Chris Chibnal is the new showrunner, I had to Google I keep getting the names mixed up.
    Very true, Moffat isn't known for his straightfoward ideas.

This season has been great so far though surprisingly it's not been as convoluted, Moffat has been almost reserved in his writing compared to some previous years.

This season has been great so far though surprisingly it's not been as convoluted, Moffat has been almost reserved in his writing compared to some previous years.

While this series has been an improvement over the last two, I still wouldn't put it past Moffat to be overly clever.

While this series has been an improvement over the last two, I still wouldn't put it past Moffat to be overly clever.

True we are only half way through season 10, a curve ball will be lingering somewhere like Damocles Sword ready to drop. lol
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Another solid episode I thought. Yes,very familiar to a story we've see before but was still a good one.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 5,802
    Two things that came to my mind when watching the episode :

1) Radio Caroline

2) Spock

But all in all, good episode, even if the ending felt clichéed.

Oh, and the "Next Time" reminded me of the time I played tabletop Role Playing Games. Specifically "Space 1889".
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    Rubbish overall I think the three episodes ark on the Monks was a waste, the episodes in the trilogy got progressively worse.
    Love the line at the end... 7 billion... Someone like you I can put up with the rest of them.
    Well I got that wrong. I don't think anyone has misjudged anything since Michael "don't worry, it'll be a slight breeze" Fish. On the whole, I think it was an ok episode (my least favourite this series so far).
    Well I got that wrong. I don't think anyone has misjudged anything since Michael "don't worry, it'll be a slight breeze" Fish. On the whole, I think it was an ok episode (my least favourite this series so far).

The monk three episodes ark has dragged the season down, surprised how poor they were.
    Going to give last night's episode another go, was tired when I watched it will see if it's any better.