'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Aaah the sea devils ,now that would be good....
    It's true though what you say Major,there is so much choice out there,its endless.

I know the Daleks and Cybermen are the favourites but,as the old saying goes : if you eat steak every day then where is the fun in steak .
  • Is there anything in the rumour that the BBC have to use the Daleks at least once a season? Something to do with the Terry Nation Estate.

If there is some technicality that they are held to, I suppose a brief view of a dalek (even in a flashback) would tick that box. A bit like the brief glimpse of our pepperpot friends in the first episode this year, The Pilot. It got them out of the way early.

I'd like the Meddling Monk to return.
    Is there anything in the rumour that the BBC have to use the Daleks at least once a season? Something to do with the Terry Nation Estate.

If there is some technicality that they are held to, I suppose a brief view of a dalek (even in a flashback) would tick that box. A bit like the brief glimpse of our pepperpot friends in the first episode this year, The Pilot. It got them out of the way early.

That's something I've never thought of,you could well be right,hence,as you say,the quick glimpse and that's it done for this series.
    I hope so anyway.

I get the feeling that:
    Simm will come back for a brief appearance, possibly in a flashback. Missy, or at least the Michelle Gomez version will be leaving, and the next timethat The Master/Missy shows up, it will be a new version.
    That's possible and thinking back the Master has taken long breaks from the show in the past, though I would be in favour of a Pertwee/Delgado situation where the Master was omnipresent for a long period. I liked Missy though felt they did not exploit her potential... Yet!

She's leaving, so not much exploiting of potential left. And not really in favour of the Master being in too many stories.

I just meant that the episodes Missy has left to do could be her best.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Is there anything in the rumour that the BBC have to use the Daleks at least once a season? Something to do with the Terry Nation Estate.

I doubt it. They weren't used in a large number of the classic series', and in the modern show, I don't remember them being used in series 6. I think they're only used so much because of their popularity.
    I'd like the Meddling Monk to return.

Yes, a good suggestion for a villain that hasn't been seen since, what... 1965(?). Would save using the Daleks.
  • It's probably rubbish, you're right. All sorts of rumours sprout up. However, the Daleks did appear in Season 6 in The Wedding of River Song - a brief appearance by a damaged Dalek Supreme. They've appeared in every series of the new show. The rumour doesn't apply to the classic series, as it is apparently an arrangement with the Terry Nation Estate (Nation died in 1997).

I loved The Monk. I think Big Finish have used him, but he would be a great addition on TV. Something a bit different. Not really evil, but a man who couldn't help meddling with time. Peter Butterworth was superb back in the day.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2017 Posts: 13,894
    It's probably rubbish, you're right. All sorts of rumours sprout up. However, the Daleks did appear in Season 6 in The Wedding of River Song - a brief appearance by a damaged Dalek Supreme. They've appeared in every series of the new show. The rumour doesn't apply to the classic series, as it is apparently an arrangement with the Terry Nation Estate (Nation died in 1997).

I'm a little surprised about this rumour, though, as I was under the impression that Nation tended to be more on the uncooperative side, when it came to allowing the showrunners to use the Daleks in the classic series. Then come the modern show, and they are required to use them in each series. It's the first that I have heard about this rumour, i'm interested to know more about this.
    I loved The Monk. I think Big Finish have used him, but he would be a great addition on TV. Something a bit different. Not really evil, but a man who couldn't help meddling with time. Peter Butterworth was superb back in the day.

I wasn't aware that The Monk had made so many appearances:
    http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/The_Monk_-_list_of_appearances

I think The Monk is overdue for a return too (as well as The Sea Devils). She's not a hugely popular character, but i'd like to see The Rani make a comback, I had hopped that Gomez would be playing her (minus the manic pantomime routine of Missy).

• Well, there you go then. Let's hope Chibnall is brave enough to bench them for a bit. The more they have appeared, the more diluted has been their menace, in my opinion.
    Yep...that's what I've been saying for a while.
    I'm not the biggest fan of The Daleks (I think The Cybermen are far more intimidating), so I would be all for The Daleks taking a break. But I can't see it happening. How many times has an actor that they didn't feel like the Doctor until they had faced The Daleks?
    I'm not the biggest fan of The Daleks (I think The Cybermen are far more intimidating), so I would be all for The Daleks taking a break. But I can't see it happening. How many times has an actor that they didn't feel like the Doctor until they had faced The Daleks?

I agree actually....I will even say I feel quite sad for a Dalek if one dies,compared to a Cyberman,who genuinely is a frightening entity.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    barryt007 wrote: »

I agree actually....I will even say I feel quite sad for a Dalek if one dies,compared to a Cyberman,who genuinely is a frightening entity.

And the most frightening version (Mondasian Cybermen) are back for the last two episodes this series. Can't wait.
    I find the Daleks are more for fan service nowadays. In their current form I really don't find them intimidating.

I think they'd definitely benefit from a break and a design overhaul.

And the most frightening version (Mondasian Cybermen) are back for the last two episodes this series. Can't wait.

Same here..i hope they do them justice !!
    This just in ,from the Huffington Post :

‘Doctor Who’: Richard Ayoade Named As Contender To Replace Peter Capaldi

Richard Ayoade’s has entered the race to replace Peter Capaldi in ‘Doctor Who’, according to reports.

The ‘IT Crowd’ star has been named as a surprise contender to be the next Doctor, in a report in The Sun.

591d7ebe270000520090ea6c.jpeg?cache=jxx76venqr

They have claimed he has caught the eye of bosses, who believe he could bring something different to the role after Peter departs at the end of the current series.

A source told the paper: “Richard is very highly thought of in the industry and is well liked.

“Beeb bosses have discussed him as an option to replace Peter as they think he would bring something different to the role.

“The final decision is still some way off and it’s all to play for. He’s very much seen as a Channel 4 poster boy so tempting him away would be something of a coup.”

A BBC spokesperson declined to comment on the reports.

Richard was previously linked to the ‘Great British Bake Off’ hosting role, prior to Noel Fielding and Sandi Toksvig being announced as Mel and Sue’s replacements.

He was later announced as the new host of ‘The Crystal Maze’, which is returning for a new series on Channel 4 later this year.

Meanwhile, many stars from Doctor Who’s past have spoken out in favour of a woman getting the role.

However, it seems this could still be a long way off, with recent reports claiming that show bosses were hoping to cast a younger man, in keeping with David Tennant’s successful time in the lead role.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Now that you mention it, Travel Man, in which Richard Ayoade rushes a companion around a strange city while frantically explaining things, is pretty Whovian.
    I have all of the I.T. Crowd boxsets great show, Richard Ayoade would be a good choice he does odd well which is a element that suits the Doctor.
    I get the impression from Ayoade, that he might be wary of the fame of being cast as The Doctor.
    He was my pick when Matt Smith left. Perfect choice if true, imo.
    I get the impression from Ayoade, that he might be wary of the fame of being cast as The Doctor.

That's a shame Ayoade would be a good fit...

I agree, he'd be a great choice, but it's the impression I get from him. Like Bond, there's a fair amount of baggage and publicity that goes with the role.

When Smith was cast, I wanted to see David Morrisey for the Doctor (properly this time), but 3 episodes in to Smiths first series, had me convinced that Smith was the right man for the role. Then when Capaldi was cast, I had no particular choice in mind. This time, Ayoade would be my top choice.
    I agree, he'd be a great choice, but it's the impression I get from him. Like Bond, there's a fair amount of baggage and publicity that goes with the role.

When Smith was cast, I wanted to see David Morrisey for the Doctor (properly this time), but 3 episodes in to Smiths first series, had me convinced that Smith was the right man for the role. Then when Capaldi was cast, I had no particular choice in mind. This time, Ayoade would be my top choice.

Very true the media commitments beyond filming the show is immense, I recall the travelling and appearances Capaldi did for promotion of his new Doctor. If I were a actor I would definitely choose low key roles that's for sure,
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I think Ayoade would be almost too Whovian for the role. I think the Beeb realise they need to get the casual fans back again and I'm not sure he would have the mass appeal. I'm expecting somebody around 30 who can sell posters and merchandise. I'm not saying that is what I want - Ayoade would probably be great - but it is what I expect.
    Ayoade is also firmly in the pocket of Channel 4...it would cost the BBC a lot of money to even borrow him for a series,and the BBC do not pay for ANYTHING,unless its throwing money away on shite.
    gumbolt wrote: »
    I think Ayoade would be almost too Whovian for the role. I think the Beeb realise they need to get the casual fans back again and I'm not sure he would have the mass appeal. I'm expecting somebody around 30 who can sell posters and merchandise. I'm not saying that is what I want - Ayoade would probably be great - but it is what I expect.

My gut feeling a while ago was BBC may go for a Tennant type to get the broader audience.
    Someone told me that Tennant is coming back for another 'special' again...it wouldnt surprise me if BBC bent over backwards to get him back in role..anything is possible in the land of 'Who' !!

Very true the media commitments beyond filming the show is immense, I recall the travelling and appearances Capaldi did for promotion of his new Doctor. If I were a actor I would definitely choose low key roles that's for sure,

I'd be exactly the same, i'm far too introverted to live in the goldfish bowl that some roles require.

I'd be exactly the same, i'm far too introverted to live in the goldfish bowl that some roles require.

The older I have got the less interested I have become with the general public, I value a simple life.
    Someone told me that Tennant is coming back for another 'special' again...it wouldnt surprise me if BBC bent over backwards to get him back in role..anything is possible in the land of 'Who' !!

I am all for one of appearances by Smith and Tennant for multi Doctor episodes, it was a shame Eccleston was not interested in the 50th Anniversary.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    A very tense episode. Kept me glued to the screen and an excellent set up for next week.
    Missy in the vault - I don't it's not gonna be her in there. I do think there could well be some promise​ with the thought of Missy being an earlier version of the Master & Simm's version is in there.