'Anyone for a jelly baby ? ' - Doctor Who discussion thread.

Comments

Excellent episode, and nice reference to the classic series. Hope everyone caught the special guest star. Plus, I love Victorin Science-fiction, so I was happy.
    Special guest star ?
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Very good episode on Saturday. Reminiscent of the Pertwee era, with a nice nod to the Tomb Of The Cybermen story. And, loved the little cameo as above.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Well that was a hoot and a half.
    Morale of tonight's episode : don't release forces you can't control.

Something the Master should have learned by now.
    I don't know why but this series with the introduction of Bill Potts, seems to be throwing the concept of sexuality in our faces more than ever compared to previous series. Do not have an issue with this but for kids I think it could pose unnecessary confusion instead of just enjoying the show for what it is.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I think I'm officially sold on my response to this series already. Before the series started, I thought the series looked a bit cheap, drab and not that exciting. When the first few episodes aired, I was pleasently surrpised and really enjoyed the episodes, but now after seeing the rest of the series and we're nearly at the last two episodes, I'm unfortunately back to being disappoint. I can't put my finger on it too much but I just think not only is the writing weak, but it feels like someone who has never written for DW before has come in and just gone here's a series and then left. It feels lazy, cheap and a real shame because Bill Potts could be a great character, and she's a good actress but the stories and the execution is just weak especially compared to Series 9's darkness and cinematic style. Shame really :/

Let's just say I hope Chris does some wonders...
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited June 2017 Posts: 7,570
    I do wonder if they are going to introduce the actor playing the next Doctor at the actual point of regeneration. That hasn't been done before, but I suspect it may be the case this time.
    That would be interesting....has it been confirmed then that Capaldi will not be the Doctor for the Xmas Special ?
    I think he will be the Dr at Xmas, but they are making weird noises about it being different to the usual regeneration. Don't know what that means, but normally when the change is expected at Xmas the new Dr has already been introduced by now
    Good point....looks like a Xmas Regeneration then.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The christmas special is due to being production this month, the new series will begin production in November. We should be finding out who the next Doctor is anytime now.
    Allegedly I heard Kris Marshall is going to be the next Dr Who? Putting it out there now? So we will see but if true it may have happened already at the end of this series? If I am right? I will reveal my source when the time comes?
    Hmmm Kris Marshall....how do we feel about that ?
    Yes, I have heard it may be him - a lot of rumours to that effect. Began around the time he quit Death In Paradise, and has persisted because they are looking for a younger, more dashing Dr to bring the kids back and of course the young girls. David Tenant is their model Doctor.
    He's been my favourite candidate for quite a while now. I love "Death in paradise", and as that show has had a lot of Whovian actors in it already (including at least one Doctor), maybe it's time now for a little quid pro quo.
    I'm not much of a fan of him myself, but I can see the appeal. It would be a sensible choice
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't have much to say on Marshall. I have only seen him acting in clips of My Family (I never religiously watch it, and it came off as a copy of 2 Point 4 Children to me). While I guess you can say he has a Doctor-ish look, casting a David Tennant type is defeating the point of regeneration. When they cast Patrick Troughton, they didn't look for a William Hartnell type.
    I think he is a 'safe' option only,i would prefer someone else to be honest.
    I agree with the Major, that they need to change the Doctor, offer something different. Peter Capaldi, in my view was inspired, but there seems to be a certain demographic missing. The young people who loved Tennant. The show had its biggest audience during his tenure, so in this ratings driven age, they want to recreate those viewing figures.

I imagine Marshall will be a sort of cross between Matt Smith (a bit fuddy and fumbly ) and Tennant (twinkly and flirty). However, Marshall is older than both of them were at the time (in his 40s).

I can also see them maybe going for a non-white actor as well. No idea who. It would work ok, as long as it's a male. Should they bow to current trends and cast a woman I'd be out.
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Richard Ayoade would get my vote. Different and quirky. I like different; Noel Fielding (I know not poss due to Bake off), Stephen Fry, Ross Noble, Bill Nighy, Hugh Laurie - could all do off the wall, alien type doctor. Be brave not safe. Although they must have already cast someone by now, keeping it very hush hush.
    @cwl007 - Agreed on Ayoade. I think he'd be a superb choice. But my impression of him is that he wouldn't like the fame that the role would bring. Looking at the announcements of both Capaldi and Smith, I would be very surprised if the new Doctor had not already been cast.
    @cwl007 - Agreed on Ayoade. I think he'd be a superb choice. But my impression of him is that he wouldn't like the fame that the role would bring. Looking at the announcements of both Capaldi and Smith, I would be very surprised if the new Doctor had not already been cast.

Major,you are an experienced 'Whovian' (is that correct ?) ..who do u think has been cast ?
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    What do you think of my other suggestions?
    barryt007 wrote: »

Major,you are an experienced 'Whovian' (is that correct ?) ..who do u think has been cast ?

Oh hardly. I only really started watching the show in 2007, and buying the classic era dvds at the same time. It's just what I have pick up, that's all.
    cwl007 wrote: »
    What do you think of my other suggestions?

Noel Fielding and Ross Noble I could as possible choices. Fry and Laurie are about the same age as Capaldi, and Nighy is closer to 70 than to 60, so I can't see them being cast.
  • gumboltgumbolt Now with in-office photocopier
    I have seen rumours online in the last 12 hours about Tom Rosenthal being cast. He would bring youth and quirkiness but I'm not sure about depth. My own view is that the BBC will want to cast a Poldark-type leading man to get the ladies watching again, which is apparently the biggest demographic deserting the show since Capaldi took over. I'm not sure if either Marshall or Rosenthal tick that particular box but they could both do quirky. Of course if the new showrunner is planning single story arcs for a season as has been rumoured, then the supporting cast would be very important and they may cast both male and female eye candy there. If it is not Kris Marshall or Tom Rosenthal, then my wild cards would be Luke Pasqaulino or Rob Kazinsky, but I think both are committed to US TV shows.
    Tom Rosenthal would be a perfect choice if you are looking for a Matt Smith rather than a David Tennant.

I would prefer him over Marshall any day.