Bond Movie A vs. Bond Movie B (Diamonds Are Forever vs. The World Is Not Enough)

Comments

• I like TSWLM but my vote goes to OHMSS.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    For once, one that's a no-brainer.

OHMSS
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    OHMSS by far.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    OHMSS.
    Oh dear, this is not going well.

Contrary to most of the votes, my vote goes to the outstanding The Spy Who Loved Me, a 1977 masterpiece! The locations are exotic and very Bond-worthy, the action is pumping and explosive at every corner, Roger Moore is in top form in his third go-around, the music is funky and very '70s epic, and Jaws was actually a good villain before MR ruined him! TSWLM absolutely owns OHMSS and pummels it into the ground. I do not enjoy OHMSS very much, let it be said. Lazenby isn't that great, the locations get boring, the villains are weak, the pacing is terrible, and the first half drags on forever!
    Albert R. Broccoli and Harry Saltzman presents James Bond 007 in
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service!
    I concur with you ;)

7. On Her Majesty’s Secret Service (1969) - 8.5/10
    8. GoldenEye (1995) - 8/10
    9. You Only Live Twice (1967) - 7.5/10
    10. License to Kill (1989) - 7.5/10
    11. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) - 7/10
    12. Octopussy (1983) - 7/10
    13. For Your Eyes Only (1981) - 7/10
    14. Live and Let Die (1973) - 7/10
    15. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) - 7/10
  • The Spy Who Loved Me, without any hesitation

It has Barbara Bach, some really exotic locations, Jaws is best first time around, Roger Moore is tangible as 007, some fine action scenes, lots to get involved in, all the peripheral figures get involved, it has Barbara Bach again, OK, Kurt Jurgens is pretty banal as the main adversary and instantly forgettable but there's so much to gt involved in. The Pyramids, submarine car, fight on train, Jaws battles, opening teaser off the mountain, Did I mention it has Barbara Bach in it, one of my all time favorite Bond girls, Yes all said It's a clear winner here for this contest

OHMSS is not a bad film, Lazenby is not a bad Bond, it's merely that on this occasion it loses out to it's challenger
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    00Beast wrote:
    I do not enjoy OHMSS very much, let it be said. Lazenby isn't that great, the locations get boring, the villains are weak, the pacing is terrible, and the first half drags on forever!

We do not discuss the rules of the clinic.
  • OHMSS
    OHMSS, not because it's so much better than TSWLM, but because it happens to be my personal favorite of the entire Bond series. TSWLM is a pretty awesome Bond film, and because it was the first Bond film that I ever saw in the theater at 5 years of age. TSWL is probably Moore's best realized effort as Bond, and is a highly enjoyable masterpiece. OHMSS is just an epic Bond film though, and as a one time Bond, Lazenby kicks ass in the role.
    On Her Majesty's Secret Service:
    1.Talented Actors and Actresses
    2.Beautiful Locations
    3.Better musics
    4.Awesome actions scenes
  • The Spy Who Loved Me. When Bond clicks, it really clicks. Bond at its most epic. Stuffed full of wonderful moments: "what a helpful chap", the Lotus, Bond in Egypt (tour guides at Karnak still mention TSWLM in their spiel, much to my delight), the climactic battle on THAT Ken Adam set, the Union Flag leap off a mountain, there is so much to admire here.

I also vastly prefer Moore to Lazenby, and Moore was really hitting his stride in Spy.

Sir Ken Adam loved this film, and his work is breathtakingly displayed here.
    This looks like a bit of a thrashing but TSWLM for me!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    OHMSS, though TSWLM is a classic Bond film, and the film that started my interest in all things Bondian.
    Majesty's is just a mighty force that I enjoy more with each viewing. I watched it recently and enjoyed it as if I were watching it for the first time.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Oh, the hell with this. I'm not even voting. This is almost unanimously OHMSS.
    Both are high class Bond films and seeing Spy as a 8 year old back in 1977 cemented my Bond love for life.

But OHMSS feeds the brain and emotions more - so a vote for it.
    actonsteve wrote:
    8 year old back in 1977 cemented my Bond love for life.

it.

Hopefully you can understand why I'm quite fond of GE then ;)
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    00Beast wrote:

Contrary to most of the votes, my vote goes to the outstanding The Spy Who Loved Me, a 1977 masterpiece! The locations are exotic and very Bond-worthy, the action is pumping and explosive at every corner, Roger Moore is in top form in his third go-around, the music is funky and very '70s epic, and Jaws was actually a good villain before MR ruined him! TSWLM absolutely owns OHMSS and pummels it into the ground. I do not enjoy OHMSS very much, let it be said. Lazenby isn't that great, the locations get boring, the villains are weak, the pacing is terrible, and the first half drags on forever!

Just curious, have you read the OHMSS novel 00Beast? I think it would increase your appreciation for OHMSS. Anyhow, when I was younger I would've ranked TSWLM higher with its greater emphasis on gadgetry and the fact that the Bond/Bond girl romance and the main villain's plot are better integrated in TSWLM than in OHMSS. But as I've gotten older, I find myself preferring OHMSS so it gets my vote. Plus, I rank OHMSS as my favorite Fleming Bond novel.

The Spy Who Loved Me. It's got some hi-tec, best Moore's performance and good Cold War theme. Also, TSWLM wins because I don't feel Lazenby as real Bond, and OHMSS have got too much love and too less action.
    Barbra Bach is really hot and unfairly bashed on this forum (i'd argue she is the hotest moore bond girl) But I can't go against Ohmss...

Ohmss for me
    Risico007 wrote:
    Barbra Bach is really hot and unfairly bashed on this forum (i'd argue she is the hotest moore bond girl) But I can't go against Ohmss...

Ohmss for me

Hmm, the "hottest" Moore Bond girls IMO are Fiona Fullititon, Maud Adams, Jane Seymour or Kristina Wayborn
    W_PPK wrote:
    The Spy Who Loved Me. It's got some hi-tec, best Moore's performance and good Cold War theme. Also, TSWLM wins because I don't feel Lazenby as real Bond, and OHMSS have got too much love and too less action.

Exactly! TSWLM keeps things going, while OHMSS lets you sit and wait until something big happens.
    00Beast wrote:

Just curious, have you read the OHMSS novel 00Beast? I think it would increase your appreciation for OHMSS. Anyhow, when I was younger I would've ranked TSWLM higher with its greater emphasis on gadgetry and the fact that the Bond/Bond girl romance and the main villain's plot are better integrated in TSWLM than in OHMSS. But as I've gotten older, I find myself preferring OHMSS so it gets my vote. Plus, I rank OHMSS as my favorite Fleming Bond novel.

No, I haven't read any of the novels actually. I started Moonraker sometime back, but lost my flow and still haven't gotten back to it.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Risico007 wrote:
    Barbra Bach is really hot and unfairly bashed on this forum (i'd argue she is the hotest moore bond girl)

Give me Naomi, the Log Cabin Girl and the receptionist over ET Bach any day.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    OHMSS
  • OHMSS.

Really easy choice for me.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    00Beast wrote:
    00Beast wrote:

No, I haven't read any of the novels actually. I started Moonraker sometime back, but lost my flow and still haven't gotten back to it.

I'd recommend either TB or OHMSS as a first Bond novel. Those were the first two I read and they're pretty similar for the most part to their respective film adaptations. I also recommend the short stories TLD(very similar to the film) and "From A View To A Kill", not like AVTAK at all except for the Paris setting and vastly superior to the 1985 Bond film.

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I'm not a fan of either, but if I had to choose... TSWLM.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    The Spy Who Loved Me! :)
    OHMSS is kicking butt!
  • I would've thought TSWLM would've been more popular here. GF isn't that popular here either.