Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

Anyone ever see ESCAPE TO ATHENA (1979)?

So I was going to watch THE WILD GEESE which is available on YouTube (it's been a while since I've seen it) when I noticed the lesser known ESCAPE TO ATHENA available for viewing on YouTube. Since I've never seen it I decided to watch it instead. It's definitely not as good as THE WILD GEESE but it wasn't bad either. I'd call it an okay movie. I see lots of negative comments for the film on IMDB (many calling it the worst WWII movie ever) and while it's not a very believable movie if you don't take it too seriously you might have some fun with it. It's basically an adventure in the spirit of those great 60s WWII adventure films like THE GUNS OF NAVARONE or THE GREAT ESCAPE. In fact it's probably a combination of those 2 films. There's an escape from a POW camp as well as an assault on a monastery/secret rocket base on some Greek mountaintop. No, it's nowhere near as good as those 2 films - the acting isn't as good, script is a bit messy at times, not enough suspense, a bit too jokey, etc. But for some nice Greek locales and old school fun it's not all that bad. It's not great, it's not bad. It's just okay. THE SEA WOLVES is another such film that springs to mind. Nothing outstanding. Just okay. Roger Moore and David Niven are in both. Speaking of Rog, I must say that to see him play a German (actually Austrian) SS Major is a bit jarring and he himself felt he was miscast in the role. I found myself chuckling watching Rog play a Nazi (even if a somewhat benevolent one) and he even lets a German accent slip in every now and then, which only makes it more amusing. But essentially it's Roger Moore playing Roger Moore, with an occasional German accent. Basically a charming Nazi. Also the casting of Elliott Gould and Sonny Bono don't help with the authenticity. Their looks and dialogue make you think WWII took place in the 70s.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I need to rewatch both of those. Plus GOLD. I think I know where to start. Birds and all.

joan-armatrading-flight-of-the-wild-geese-am-2.jpg
    ac43d4cef200911567647c0b6ed15fac.jpg
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

I saw that one in the cinema, and rather enjoyed it. Mostly because of the cast.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883

I saw that one in the cinema, and rather enjoyed it. Mostly because of the cast.
    I watched it recently. It was a bit slow going for my tastes but very scenic with great location photography and yes, a great cast.

The Wild Geese is a much watch. Great film (how can it not be with Burton, Moore & Harris in the frame) and I recommend Gold as well (Ray Milland is a hoot).
    Joan Collins posted earlier:

One last drink. Goodbye, dear @sirrogermoore - a beautiful and loving service for one of the great Saints, Knights and Gents of our time

DB-PhaHXUAA8IPO.jpg
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    For anyone in Hamburg: there will be one screening of Spy Who Loved Me on the 26.06 in the Savoy Theatre.
    Watch LALD for the first time since Moores passing. It just didn't feel the same watching it. I plan to watch the rest of Moores Bond films through out the summer.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I really liked Escape to Athena. Maybe even my favourite Moore film outside Bond. Great to see him and Niv together having fun. And do I remember correctly that the lovely Claudia Cardinale is in it? Should have been a Bond girl at some point.
    I'll definitely be rewatching THE WILD GEESE soon. That film as well as FORCE 10 FROM NAVARONE are among my 2 favorites from 1978. CAPRICORN ONE is my favorite that year!

There are 4 Roger Moore films that I have a difficult time getting my hands on (without having to purchase them) -- THE MAN WHO HAUNTED HIMSELF, GOLD, SHOUT AT THE DEVIL, and THE NAKED FACE. I've never seen them - I only have some very vague memories of bits and pieces of THE NAKED FACE.
    Moore was a class act, and he will be missed.
  • Missed this because I've been absent from the forum for so long, but it's difficult for me to express my sentiments on a man that I've admired ever since I saw him back in 1973. This is very sad news and my condolences are with Sir Roger's family and friends.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 19,339
    This just in :

Friends and family of Sir Roger Moore celebrate life of 007 star

Close friends and family celebrated the life of James Bond actor Sir Roger Moore at a service in Monte Carlo on Saturday (10 June).

The veteran star died in Switzerland last month aged 89 after a 'short but brave battle with cancer'.

The private service took place at 11am at Saint Paul's Church Mail Online reports. Sir Roger's manager and biographer Gareth Owen posted a photo of the order of service on the actor's official Twitter account on Sunday.

"Yesterday we said our goodbyes in a beautiful service and celebrated a wonderful life. (Gareth)" he wrote.
    Writing on Twitter actress Dame Joan Collins who had been a long-time friend of the star said the funeral was a 'beautiful and loving service for one of the great Saints, Knights and Gents of our time'.

"One last drink. Goodbye, dear @sirrogermoore," she said.

The actor's three children, Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian, announced his death via a statement on social media on May 23 confirming that a private funeral would be held in Monaco in 'accordance with our father's wishes'

A statement posted on the actor's official social media accounts read: "With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated."

"The love with which he was surrounded in his final days was so great it cannot be quantified with words alone," the statement continued.

"We know our own love and admiration will be magnified many times over, across the world, by people who knew him for his films, his television shows and his passionate work for UNICEF which he considered to be his greatest achievement.

Remembering the 89-year-old icon, his fellow 007s Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig paid their tributes on social media.

"Dear Sir Roger Moore, It is indeed with a heavy heart that I hear the news of your passing this morning. You were a big part of my life, from The Saint to James Bond," Brosnan wrote on his Facebook page. "You were a magnificent James Bond and one that led the way for me, the world will miss you and your unique sense of humour for years to come. My sincerest condolences to your family and children. RIP."

Sir Sean Connery said he will 'miss' the actor, with whom he enjoyed a long friendship 'filled with jokes and laughter' while Daniel Craig simply wrote 'Nobody Does It Better', in reference to the theme song of The Spy Who Loved Me.

Moore rose to prominence after playing 007 in seven Bond films including Live and Let Die and the Spy Who Loved Me. Having played the spy for 12 years, he remains the longest-serving actor in the role.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    An announcement on James Bond Radio the other day said that Pinewood will be naming a soundstage "The Sir Roger Moore stage" in tribute to him.
    That is a nice tribute.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Great to see the continued love for Sir Rog.

I must admit a few tears finally came after listening to these - especially the second one.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    A nice tribute indeed.
    That was a great tribute. Hard to believe it's been over three weeks since we lost Sir Roger.
  • It's amazing how the series was able to continue without Connery.

Back during a time when Lazenby's last movie ended on a cliff-hanging sad note and when Connery seemed like he would never play the role again or acknowledge it, Moore did the job and he would later be acknowledged and befriended by past and future Bonds. The role of Bond is such that it usually fits a lesser-known actor to define their era in the role. Mr. Moore earned his respect, despite having had much acting experience.

From the very beginning of LALD in the credits sequence, the music slows down in a somber way on the cello and the lyrics "You used to say live and let live...." it's acknowledged and accepted that although the former star won't be carrying the torch, Mr. Moore is indeed adaptive to fitting his own brand to the role and also one that was appropriate for its decade or two.

Plus, until his death, Mr. Moore was the most-visibly active humanitarian of the former Bonds. Good job in setting the example.

Thank you, Mr. Moore. A man of class.
    I contributed. Was very glad to have had the platform to pay my respects like that.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    An announcement on James Bond Radio the other day said that Pinewood will be naming a soundstage "The Sir Roger Moore stage" in tribute to him.

Did you guys catch my little call in blurb on the Roger Tribute episode? Anyone else contribute?

I did one too but it was a few days after they announced the podcast. Listened to a few of the messages but not all of them.
    BAIN123 wrote: »

I must admit a few tears finally came after listening to these - especially the second one.

That was wonderful to watch! Thanks for posting!

40 yrs ago , a trip down memory lane.......
  • Thunderball007Thunderball007 United States
    edited July 2017 Posts: 306
    I miss Sir Roger Moore. Always classy and highly entertaining. Love all of his 007 films!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

(not my video)
    mattjoes wrote: »

(not my video)

Great video. Have to say their is something about hearing the "Nobody Does It Better" melody on the piano. Get's me every time!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

Sorry to keep bumping this months later; it's just that I run into these great videos that haven't been posted here. And what I can say, I love Roger Moore.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Sorry to keep bumping this months later; it's just that I run into these great videos that haven't been posted here. And what I can say, I love Roger Moore.

No need to apologise Mattjoes! Moore was my Bond and that little video I thought was quite moving.
    That is a great montage.
    We will never tire of Sir Roger @mattjoes ...well done !!
This discussion has been closed.