Well here comes the UK General Election!

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    peter wrote: »
    After this third terror attack, is Corbyn still viewed as an alternative?

Good question.
    T May was home secretary since 2010 so its hard for her to say "enough is enough" when, for 7 years, she watched over our security and policing. She must take some of the responsibility for the situation we find oursleves today.

"enough is enough" shows a policy stance purely based on being reactive rather than being proactive. Many of the policies she is now talking about could have been on the agenda in 2010 but, clearly, she did not think that enough people had died but, now, we seem to have crossed some form of line. As it the terrorists have used up their credits. Its just a horrible lack of strategy IMHO
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    peter wrote: »
    After this third terror attack, is Corbyn still viewed as an alternative?

I'm certain that ISIS and others view him as the only choice for Prime Minister.
    I dont think ISIS really care who will be the next PM.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Corbyn's the one vowing to put more police on our streets. That's something? What's Cruella and her gang pledging?
    patb wrote: »
    I dont think ISIS really care who will be the next PM.

But they would prefer one who is weak on terrorism and defence I'm sure...
    But how can you say that when the very woman who is leading our country was also the Home Secretary going on for 6 years and the problem has only exacerbated?
    But how can you say that when the very woman who is leading our country was also the Home Secretary going on for 6 years and the problem has only exacerbated?

To be fair there have been many foiled attacks and on the whole they have done a good job of keeping us safe since the 7/7 bombings. That is not to belittle the three attacks we have had this year in the UK, but I think our intelligence services are working hard to stop attacks such as these.
    Undoubtedly, but I don't see how a Corbyn Prime Ministership would stop the security services from doing the jobs they do. I think it would be scare-mongering to suggest otherwise.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Speaking from afar, but Corbyn seems to not take seriously the Islamic threat. He'll give lip service, but his past (cozy relations with Iran and Hamas), will speak where his heart lay.

He seems quite devious.
    Hmm, I have a hard time picturing Corbyn doing multi-million pound arms deals with Saudi Arabia.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Undoubtedly, but I don't see how a Corbyn Prime Ministership would stop the security services from doing the jobs they do. I think it would be scare-mongering to suggest otherwise.

Great shout. Teresa May is shit to be sure so the best solution is to vote in an IRA apologist who once said the only way to solve this is to sit round a table with ISIS.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He also called Bin laden's death "a tragedy".

http://www.express.co.uk/comment/columnists/leo-mckinstry/804545/jeremy-corbyn-ira-terrorist-connections-friend

The more I read about this bitter, apologist, the more sickened I become.
    Jeremy Corbyn is a terrorist appeasing, nuclear abolitionist buffoon.
    So what its boiled down to is a chap who's said some stuff in the past (not condoning any of the remarks fyi) and a woman who's in bed with the very country who funds the form of extremism that drives these lowlifes to commit these atrocities?
    So what its boiled down to is a chap who's said some stuff in the past (not condoning any of the remarks fyi) and a woman who's in bed with the very country who funds the form of extremism that drives these lowlifes to commit these atrocities?

That will be for the British people to decide on 8 June. To win is the ultimate tribute to party leadership.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited June 2017 Posts: 23,883
    What do people think the impact of these recent attacks will have on appetite for expediting Brexit? Will it make people more interested in separating from the rest of Europe or staying? Does the UK see its decision as more of an error now, on account of Macron's win?

Yep that's about the size of it. You could always go for religious nutter Tim Farron if you don't like those options. Ain't democracy great?

Still better than a medieval theocracy I suppose.

Yep that's about the size of it. You could always go for religious nutter Tim Farron if you don't like those options. Ain't democracy great?

How the hell did we get to this?
    Dragonpol for PM!
    edited June 2017 Posts: 9,117

Decades of apathy?
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    Dragonpol for PM!

I'd still prefer Clarkson or Partridge over the turgid options on the table but if they prove unavailable you're next on the short list Draggers.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    According to a speech Theresa May made in April 2016, she said '''the UK had to stand tall and lead in Europe rather than leaving the EU, and that membership made the UK "more secure from crime and terrorism". So why would anyone vote for her?

I would say that years of dishonest and uncompromising political discussion eventually leads to two outcomes, both polarized and both unacceptable to the majority of voters. One is a big business globalist/military apologist and the other is the complete opposite. A similar thing happened in the US with Sanders.
    According to a speech Theresa May made in April 2016, she said '''the UK had to stand tall and lead in Europe rather than leaving the EU, and that membership made the UK "more secure from crime and terrorism". So why would anyone vote for her?
    Exactly why I asked the question @DaltonCraig007. I wonder if these recent attacks make Brexit more or less likely eventually. I'm thinking the latter.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @bondjames we more of less asked the same question, but I focusing on why would Leave voters would vote for May after she said word for word ''EU membership made the UK "more secure from crime and terrorism", which is precisely what all the Leavers didn't vote for, and why would any Remainers vote for her as the person in charge of leaving the EU, which is precisely what they didn't vote for.
    Political opportunism would cover it I would say.
    @DaltonCraig007, I would assume it's because for each side (Leave or Remain), the alternative as they see it is far worse. Dishonesty & politics sadly go hand in hand, and it's all a matter of defining one's opponent in more unattractive ways, rather than dealing honestly with realities.
    edited June 2017 Posts: 15,686
    Theresa May's political opportunism could be seen as treason in this case. Saying the UK would be "more secure from crime and terrorism"' by remaining in the EU, and 1 year later that very same politician is now the very person that will lead the Brexit after 3 major attacks in the UK in as many months, seems not only contradictory, but borderline criminal.
    Which is why, I suspect, Brexit may very well not happen now that Macron is firmly installed in France and Merkel looks like she could win later this year.

What better way to 'protect' Londoners (the majority of whom voted overwhelmingly to 'Remain') than to stay a full part of the European security apparatus.
    That will never happen though. The Brexit train has left the station and is steaming down the track towards their faces.