Sir Roger Moore (1927 - 2017)

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    How is that significant?
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    His final appearance as Bond, and in life. A day (and 32 years) apart.
  • RIP Roger. I thought he would always be here as he was still making public appearances. He had some great roles outside of Bond, and I loved his James Bond films which are great escapist adventures which I have watched many times.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    This is awful news. Rest in Peace Sir Roger. I'm thankful we've had the pleasure of having you here for 89 wonderful years. Thanks for the great memories.
  • In my local library today I noticed a table arrangement of various Flemings and in the center a black-and-white photograph of Roger Moore with the sentiment, "THE SPY WE LOVED." Very touching seeing that tribute come from such an unexpected place. It's also the first time I've seen an RIP tribute like this at the library. Somebody there was clearly a fan.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    In my local library today I noticed a table arrangement of various Flemings and in the center a black-and-white photograph of Roger Moore with the sentiment, "THE SPY WE LOVED."

That's really lovely! Libraries are a force for good and we should cherish them.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    Vey nice story @Some_Kind_Of_Hero

Whenever a well-known celebrity dies, my local funeral directors always puts a picture up in their window. They've done the same with Roger.
  • Agent_99 wrote: »
    In my local library today I noticed a table arrangement of various Flemings and in the center a black-and-white photograph of Roger Moore with the sentiment, "THE SPY WE LOVED."

That's really lovely! Libraries are a force for good and we should cherish them.

Yes, I greatly value libraries. So much information and literature for the benefit of everyone.
    Agent_99 wrote: »

Yes, I greatly value libraries. So much information and literature for the benefit of everyone.
    Indeed! If it weren't for my local library who knows if I would have ever become a Bond fan? It was in the summer of 2001 when I began renting the Bond films from my local library on VHS. I was lucky that my local library had almost all of them in stock. Most other libraries didnt carry them for some reason. I began at the very beginning with DR. NO and was instantly hooked! Connery immediately became my Bond! I followed this with GF, YOLT, and DAF. The next 2 were Roger's films - TMWTGG and TSWLM, and Roger quickly won me over. TSWLM immediately became my favorite Bond film (along with LALD shortly thereafter) and before I knew it I had 2 favorite Bonds - Sir Sean and Sir Roger. In due time I saw all the Bond films but those Connery and Moore ones remain my favorite.
    Just left the FYEO/TSWLM double feature. I'd only seen Craig's films in theatre so it was great to get to see two of Roger's best. It was definitely bittersweet when Spy's end credits rolled by. Roger absolutely owns the role in both films.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Indeed! If it weren't for my local library who knows if I would have ever become a Bond fan? It was in the summer of 2001 when I began renting the Bond films from my local library on VHS. I was lucky that my local library had almost all of them in stock. Most other libraries didnt carry them for some reason. I began at the very beginning with DR. NO and was instantly hooked! Connery immediately became my Bond! I followed this with GF, YOLT, and DAF. The next 2 were Roger's films - TMWTGG and TSWLM, and Roger quickly won me over. TSWLM immediately became my favorite Bond film (along with LALD shortly thereafter) and before I knew it I had 2 favorite Bonds - Sir Sean and Sir Roger. In due time I saw all the Bond films but those Connery and Moore ones remain my favorite.
    Makes me wish I could remember more of how I became a Bond fan. I was so young, and a good part of it is all a blur now.

I'm really eager to see the Moore films on a big screen, but sadly, it seems like they're not coming to my country any time soon. I'll still hold up hope, though.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I didn't get the double bill near me either, which I'm quite peeved about. Hopefully I'll get a chance to see the great man on the big screen in the future, if the cinema chain does a 4K release of all the films (I'll be lobbying them to do it).
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    Matinee double feature was well attended in my area, with a total of 41 viewers that I counted.

They played FYEO first in our theater which was quite interesting. Did they do this for anyone else? Continuity didn't really matter here, but it would have been nice to see James Bond will return in FYEO, and for it to be actually true this time!

The action sequences and landscape shots were so magical on the big screen. Specifically, the bobsled chase in FYEO, the PTS in spy, the cityscape of Cairo, and mountain view from FYEO ski lodge. As others have said before, these movies were meant for the big screen and this taste finally gave me a glimpse into what I've been so jealous of others who grew up in the 60s, 70s,and 80s
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    They don t show them here.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    edited June 2017 Posts: 308
    Saw FYEO tonight, around 60 people attended, pretty good turn out I believe.
    It was a great experience and indeed, the film really shines on the big screen. I had a little moment when I saw the gun barrel sequence, I felt excited but also realised the reason for the showing of the film.
    The audience laughter (loudly even at the Thatcher-scene) and reactions where a great addition to the experience.
    I'm glad I was able to attend, I will never forget it.
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    Saw FYEO tonight, around 60 people attended, pretty good turn out I believe.
    It was a great experience and indeed, the film really shines on the big screen. I had a little moment when I saw the gun barrel sequence, I felt excited but also realised the reason for the showing of the film.
    The audience laughter (loudly even at the Thatcher-scene) and reactions where a great addition to the experience.
    I'm glad I was able to attend, I will never forget it.

Did see it as well tonight and took my oldest daughter who did enjoy herself as well, I wanted her to see Roger Moore on the big screen and she really enjoyed it.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    It's great to see everyone who managed to go had a good time. I can only imagine how amazing the Cortina sequences in FYEO & the Sardinia/Egypt sequences in TSWLM must have looked in 4K. It was a nice touch from EON and seems to have gone down well.
    Bring the films to Norway!
    I'm still a wreck; just kinda holding things in as I have for the last couple weeks. It hasn't hit me fully and I haven't watched a single film of his since his passing, although I own many in addition to his 7 Bond films. It's too painful to do it. Maybe after the shock wears off. Man, it just sucks.
    The_Reaper wrote: »
    I'm still a wreck; just kinda holding things in as I have for the last couple weeks. It hasn't hit me fully and I haven't watched a single film of his since his passing, although I own many in addition to his 7 Bond films. It's too painful to do it. Maybe after the shock wears off. Man, it just sucks.

You will find that watching things actually makes it a little easier..it shows he is still around on film and TV at least.
    The_Reaper wrote: »

If the dead of an almost 90 year old man hits you that hard you should really reconsider your name. Somehow seems to be the wrong kind of business for you.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 11,189
    I've watched most of Roger's Bond films again in the last two weeks and I've still been able to enjoy them like I did before. I liked the bits I've always liked and cringed at the bits I've always cringed at. Though there are a couple of new moments here and there that leave me a little misty-eyed (the endings of MR and OP).
    The first ever episode of IVANHHHOOOOEEEE.

Looks rather naff now to be honest.

• royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Is that Anthony Daswon from 2.46?
    royale65 wrote: »
    Is that Anthony Daswon from 2.46?

It does look like him and sound like him actually.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Third part of his memoirs. September:

CED7VUR.jpg

A bientot, Rog
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Third part of his memoirs. September:

CED7VUR.jpg

A bientot, Rog

Certainly a purchase for me that is for sure!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Pointing out the obvious, perhaps, but that's a meaningful title. An emotive image, that.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    I suspect there's more than a pinch of salt required when reading this story about Roger, but it's fun nonetheless:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40172977
  • MooseWithFleasMooseWithFleas Philadelphia
    That book will be certainly be a pre-order, day 1 purchase for me.
This discussion has been closed.