"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

• Irish007Irish007 Dublin
    Thomas Tuchel sacked by Dortmund. Bit surprising. Wonder if there's Arsenal board members now having second thoughts about Wenger's new deal
    Arsene staying on for another 2 years
    Waiting for the statement from the club, but it looks like it. As I'm neither a Wenger out or a Wenger in, I hope the next two years is all about building up the club again - as I don't think Arsenal is a club completely ready for change. Short term issues has to be addressed too. Transfer market and contracts for key players. This will be an important transfer window for us Arsenal fans.
    If Wenger stays I think Ozil and Sanchez will.

Özil probably, but not at all sure that Sánchez will. Will not be surprised if he ends up signing for Bayern München - but who knows.
    I see Lambert got the sack from Wolves too!

Özil probably, but not at all sure that Sánchez will. Will not be surprised if he ends up signing for Bayern München - but who knows.

Sanchez on his day is a match winner the Gunners will struggle to replace, as a football fan I hope he stays in the Premiership. I think Arsenal could slip further back if they lose Sanchez, if they do sell they will make some profit for sure they got a bargain when they bought him for just north of £31 million.
    Spalletti gone from Roma too. Difficult job whomever takes over given Juve's financial might.

Sanchez on his day is a match winner the Gunners will struggle to replace, as a football fan I hope he stays in the Premiership. I think Arsenal could slip further back if they lose Sanchez, if they do sell they will make some profit for sure they got a bargain when they bought him for just north of £31 million.

Arsenal will slip further if they got rid of wenger,like man u suffered with fergie retiring. 7 FA cups as manager is incredible.
    001 wrote: »

Arsenal will slip further if they got rid of wenger,like man u suffered with fergie retiring. 7 FA cups as manager is incredible.

Agree I am a United supporter though getting rid of Wenger the next man is not guaranteed to be successful, the media is over the top with so many ex player pundits harping on about if you don't win this or that then it's a failure. There are coach's and players that never got near winning a F.A. Cup and that includes many pundits that are ex players, 7 F.A. Cups is an amazing achievement.
  • edited May 2017 Posts: 17,279
    Irish007 wrote: »
    Spalletti gone from Roma too. Difficult job whomever takes over given Juve's financial might.

Indeed. A bit overshadowed by Totti retiring, which is not surprising. What a player! There is something about players playing for their club throughout their entire career; Can't see many players doing the same thing - and on that level in football, anymore.

001 wrote: »

Agree I am a United supporter though getting rid of Wenger the next man is not guaranteed to be successful, the media is over the top with so many ex player pundits harping on about if you don't win this or that then it's a failure. There are coach's and players that never got near winning a F.A. Cup and that includes many pundits that are ex players, 7 F.A. Cups is an amazing achievement.

The numbers speak for themselves, really. The trouble with Wenger, is probably his many roles within Arsenal. Would love to see him not working on contracts with players, and just focus on the way the team play. But, as we well know, a director of football isn't something Wenger cares to much about.
    It is not that unusual really. In Barca they had Puyol and Xavi not long ago, and Iniesta and Messi are soon to follow...
    Well, that's only a few name in Europe's top leagues.

In other news, Wenger is confirmed for another two years. I feel divided about this, but given the overall problems within the club, one can totally understand the decision too. Arseblog's article on the contract extension had a great note at the end, which sums up what many Arsenal fans may feel: «I’d like to say I’m cautiously optimistic, but that’s not where I am. It’d be fairer to say I’m vaguely hopeful of being pleasantly surprised.»
    The Dutch national team went to Morocco and played their national team. We did sent in the B-team with our interim coach and won fairly easy even if we played the national team and the referee who made some strange choices. A surprising win with a very unfamiliar Dutch side.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    The Dutch national team went to Morocco and played their national team. We did sent in the B-team with our interim coach and won fairly easy even if we played the national team and the referee who made some strange choices. A surprising win with a very unfamiliar Dutch side.

Who's the interim coach right now, and who'll be likely to become manager?
    'Hand of God' assistant dies, aged 80

Bulgarian Bogdan Dochev, the assistant referee who failed to notice Diego Maradona's infamous 'Hand of God' goal during the 1986 World Cup match between Argentina and England, has died at the age of 80, the Bulgarian Football Union said.

Argentina won the quarter-final 2-1, with Maradona producing two of the most talked about goals in the history of football - the first a handballed effort, the second dribbling past five England players in a brilliant solo effort.

Following the handball, TV images showed Tunisian referee Ali Bin Nasser running slowly backwards towards the centre of the pitch and looking at Dochev.

The Bulgarian, however, did not wave his flag.

"Although I felt immediately there was something irregular, back in that time Fifa didn't allow the assistants to discuss the decisions with the referee," Dochev told Bulgarian media a few years ago.

nintchdbpict0002463812021.jpg?w=960&strip=all

I'm going to miss you pal.............................................NOT !!!!
  • Imagine a Bond version of ArsenalFan TV? I feel for Claude - he acts how I acted when Judi Dench was still in the franchise
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Imagine a Bond version of ArsenalFan TV? I feel for Claude - he acts how I acted when Judi Dench was still in the franchise

But the more important question is - who is Troopz on here blud?
    Imagine a Bond version of ArsenalFan TV? I feel for Claude - he acts how I acted when Judi Dench was still in the franchise

Bond Fan TV, you mean? I'll watch that!

The interim coach is Fred Grim , a keepers trainer, our new coach wil be Advocaat for the time being until somebody offers him better money {ask the Belgians}. He is a bit of a dick.

The interim coach is Fred Grim , a keepers trainer, our new coach wil be Advocaat for the time being until somebody offers him better money {ask the Belgians}. He is a bit of a dick.

Haha! Good one!
    Thought Advocaat was still with Fenerbahçe, but I guess things change quickly in football - as his managerial track record shows, as well. Do you think he'll do better than Danny Blind?
    barryt007 wrote: »
    'Hand of God' assistant dies, aged 80

Bulgarian Bogdan Dochev, the assistant referee who failed to notice Diego Maradona's infamous 'Hand of God' goal during the 1986 World Cup match between Argentina and England, has died at the age of 80, the Bulgarian Football Union said.

Argentina won the quarter-final 2-1, with Maradona producing two of the most talked about goals in the history of football - the first a handballed effort, the second dribbling past five England players in a brilliant solo effort.

Following the handball, TV images showed Tunisian referee Ali Bin Nasser running slowly backwards towards the centre of the pitch and looking at Dochev.

The Bulgarian, however, did not wave his flag.

"Although I felt immediately there was something irregular, back in that time Fifa didn't allow the assistants to discuss the decisions with the referee," Dochev told Bulgarian media a few years ago.

nintchdbpict0002463812021.jpg?w=960&strip=all

Jump Shilton!!!

Haha! Good one!
    Thought Advocaat was still with Fenerbahçe, but I guess things change quickly in football - as his managerial track record shows, as well. Do you think he'll do better than Danny Blind?

Anybody would be better than Danny Blind he really did live up to his name.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,279

Haha! Good one!

Anybody would be better than Danny Blind he really did live up to his name.

Do hope they get the national team going again. The Netherlands has always been a team to watch in international competitions.

Our national team, on the other hand... News today was that Norway's down to 87th in the FIFA ranking. Do believe Lagerbäck is the right man for the job, but there is much work to be done with the squad in the years to come.
    Champions league final in less than a hour, first CL final I have watched on 4K and I think with the heavy weights involved it's going to be a classic. I think Real fire power will be too much, Real to win my prediction.
    Champions league final in less than a hour, first CL final I have watched on 4K and I think with the heavy weights involved it's going to be a classic. I think Real fire power will be too much, Real to win my prediction.

No 4K, but I predict a good game. Would love for Juventus and Gianluigi Buffon to lift the trophy tonight. He deserve it.

No 4K, but I predict a good game. Would love for Juventus and Gianluigi Buffon to lift the trophy tonight. He deserve it.

Would be a great send off for Buffon I heard he may be retiring? Italian sides are often bogey teams for the Spanish though Real and Juve have 8 wins each and 2 draws from previous meetings. Really looking forward to the game

Would be a great send off for Buffon I heard he may be retiring? Italian sides are often bogey teams for the Spanish though Real and Juve have 8 wins each and 2 draws from previous meetings. Really looking forward to the game

Last I heard, is that he want to play the 2018 FIFA World Cup. That would mean another season. Do hope that is true.

Last I heard, is that he want to play the 2018 FIFA World Cup. That would mean another season. Do hope that is true.

Makes sense with a World Cup so close no player would want to miss that.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,279

Makes sense with a World Cup so close no player would want to miss that.

On top of that, the 2018 FIFA World Cup would be worth watching only for Buffon's singing during Italy's national anthem. The passion!