"Back of the net!": The Football Thread

Comments

jobo wrote: »
    Uh, oh, when people start saying CR is better than Messi, one knows it's time to call it quits and stop discussing football.

Disagree

We'll have to agree to disagree

:) it's difficult to compare though over a period of time Ronny has surpassed Messi at this point.
    Uh, oh, when people start saying CR is better than Messi, one knows it's time to call it quits and stop discussing football.

Disagree

We'll have to agree to disagree

:) it's difficult to compare though over a period of time Ronny has surpassed Messi at this point.

And you base that on... what exactly? The fact that you are a United fan perhaps?

United fan... Oh and ability

Oh, @fire_and_ice, you rascal you. If only I knew you were a United fan beforehand...
    United need to step it up
    United need to step it up

You're on the way. Mou may be a jerk, but he's no fool. He knows his footie.
    Oh, @fire_and_ice, you rascal you. If only I knew you were a United fan beforehand...

There are a lot of them here... And most og them have a peculiar, heated hatred for Argentine football as well, so the Messi/CR-discussion is basically pointless.

Nice to know there are some others here who actually watch Spanish football. The rest tend to have very strong opinions about it without actually watching it... ;)
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    What a load of BS
    Happy birthday to Liverpool Football Club - 125 years old today!

There are a lot of them here... And most og them have a peculiar, heated hatred for Argentine football as well, so the Messi/CR-discussion is basically pointless.

Nice to know there are some others here who actually watch Spanish football. The rest tend to have very strong opinions about it without actually watching it... ;)

Well, I'm Spanish, so no wonder ;)
  • RC7RC7
    You don't have to be a United fan to see just how good Ronnie is.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 1,009
    RC7 wrote: »
    You don't have to be a United fan to see just how good Ronnie is.

It's just that Messi is better. That said, I'm not gonna discuss football here anymore. Back to good ol' Jimmy.
    Good turn out for Carrick testimonial on ITV
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 6,432
    http://messivsronaldo.net

Interesting stats to be reasonable you can't separate them, though I would chose Ronaldo over Messi.

Balague: Ronaldo best in history
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10903927/balague-ronaldo-best-in-history
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 17,297
    Rosenborg with a comfortable 3-1 victory today over Strømsgodset with Bendtner not playing due to a yellow card-suspension. First game in quite a while where the team played a solid match - not counting the 10 minutes where Strømsgodset got their goal. Do hope they use this as a motivation for the next games.
    http://messivsronaldo.net

Interesting stats to be reasonable you can't separate them, though I would chose Ronaldo over Messi.

Balague: Ronaldo best in history
    http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10903927/balague-ronaldo-best-in-history

"The best goal scorer"...

Even if it was true (which is highly debatable as Messi has a higher goal ratio including the period they've played in Spain) it only amounts for one specific area of what football is about. Og you include other specifics into the equation, like assists, key passes, dribbles etc. Messi blows Ronaldo off the park.

If you wan't to find footballing personalities who have claimed Messi is the best ever (or at the very last currently best) the list is endless. Take some time on google or youtube and have a field day. But of course this one journalist, who happens to be an Espanyol supporter and who claims Ronaldo is the "best goal scorer", not the best 'footballer', is all the proof you need...
    I would still chose Ronaldo that's my choice, and I watch Spanish football so I am familiar with La Liga.
  • RC7RC7
    I've seen both live and they're fantastic players, astonishing in fact. My personal preference is Ronaldo. He is an incredible athlete. I like direct, explosive football and he's the grand master.
    Tomato, tomato...
    Personally, I would place Maradona above both of them, but there you go. Football has so many elements to it, that people can argue as much as they like. I prefer Bergkamp to those two as well, but that 's based on how many games I've seen him play compared to Messi/Ronaldo.
    Congratulations to Real Madrid on their victory last night.
  • RC7RC7
    Tomato, tomato...
    Personally, I would place Maradona above both of them, but there you go. Football has so many elements to them, that people can argue as much as they like. I prefer Bergkamp to those two as well, but that 's based on how many games I've seen him play compared to Messi/Ronaldo.

Quite. It's all personal taste. Putting aside my personal appreciation of Ronaldo, I am, however, astonished by his stats.
    Tomato, tomato...
    Personally, I would place Maradona above both of them, but there you go. Football has so many elements to them, that people can argue as much as they like. I prefer Bergkamp to those two as well, but that 's based on how many games I've seen him play compared to Messi/Ronaldo.

Quite. It's all personal taste. Putting aside my personal appreciation of Ronaldo, I am, however, astonished by his stats.

That's my problem with him, really. When they talk of him as the greatest ever, it's always about the stats. Not that they don't matter. Everyone knows there usually are some good stats behind the best footballers. Other elements in the game counts as well; movement with and without the ball. The way an individual works with his (or her) teammates on the field, etc.

Usually I prefer an holding or attacking midfielder when talking about the most talented footballers. A defender doesn't always need to be as attacking minded, and a striker/forward doesn't always have to be the first defender, which an attacking midfielder often can find himself/herself to be. Not taking anything away from other positions on the field, though. It's a team sport, football.
  • RC7RC7
    Tomato, tomato...

That's my problem with him, really. When they talk of him as the greatest ever, it's always about the stats. Not that they don't matter. Everyone knows there usually are some good stats behind the best footballers. Other elements in the game counts as well; movement with and without the ball. The way an individual works with his (or her) teammates on the field, etc.

Usually I prefer an holding or attacking midfielder when talking about the most talented footballers. A defender doesn't always need to be as attacking minded, and a striker/forward doesn't always have to be the first defender, which an attacking midfielder often can find himself/herself to be. Not taking anything away from other positions on the field, though. It's a team sport, football.

Stats or no stats he's one of the greatest to ever play the game.
    Watching the Sweden-France game right now. Wonderful goals by Giroud and Durmaz in the first half. As an Arsenal fan it will also be fun to see if Lacazette or Mbappé comes on in the second half; do hope one of those players sign for Arsenal during the summer.

Update: What an ending to that match! Horrible mistake by Lloris, clearing the ball straight into Toivonen's feet. Toivonen in his own half, sends the ball into the empty net. Did not see that coming!
    Watching the Sweden-France game right now. Wonderful goals by Giroud and Durmaz in the first half. As an Arsenal fan it will also be fun to see if Lacazette or Mbappé comes on in the second half; do hope one of those players sign for Arsenal during the summer.

Update: What an ending to that match! Horrible mistake by Lloris, clearing the ball straight into Toivonen's feet. Toivonen in his own half, sends the ball into the empty net. Did not see that coming!

You want Mbappe to Arsenal? Good luck with that... ;)

Don't think Arsenal has a chance of getting him unless the likes of Real Madrid cool their interest, which I doubt they will. Still, you have to have hope! :D

Don't think Arsenal has a chance of getting him unless the likes of Real Madrid cool their interest, which I doubt they will. Still, you have to have hope! :D

Who know ;)
    Wonder if England V Scotland will be a bore fest? Who knows or cares? I am off for my dinner! Lol!
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Wonder if England V Scotland will be a bore fest? Who knows or cares? I am off for my dinner! Lol!

An early yellow card for Scotland; will be interesting to see if that can have an impact on the game. I predict that Norway - Czech Republic will be more of a borefest, given the way Norway plays these days.

An early yellow card for Scotland; will be interesting to see if that can have an impact on the game. I predict that Norway - Czech Republic will be more of a borefest, given the way Norway plays these days.

Have just ducked back in! Have I missed much? Lol!

Have just ducked back in! Have I missed much? Lol!

No, hahah! Some shots by England, but nothing much to write about.

Update: Did not expect a 2-2 game out of this. Really good effort by Leigh Griffiths, scoring two brilliant free kicks under five minutes apart!
    Norway - Czech Republic - 1-1.
    A good start by Norway in the start of the game, before the Czech Republic came more into the game as the first half progressed. Better defending could have avoided the 0-1 lead to the Czech Republic before half time. Second half started the same way, resulting in a clear penalty. With 1-1, Norway pressed for the second goal, allowing the Czech Republic few chances. Still, no more goals before the final whistle, in a game which Norway should have won. Good periods during the 90+ minutes, but the players need to be more clinical in the box.