The PIERCE BROSNAN Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Pierce Brosnan returns in a crime thriller, but this time as part of the supporting roles and as per request, not as the victim, but as a detective working for the FBI, investigating the case of a professor accused of murdering a young student of his own when revelations bring his background forward as to having had numerous affairs with his students on previous occasions. Titled Spinning Man. The film also stars Guy Pearce as the professor, Minnie Driver (a Bond alumni from GoldenEye) as his wife, and Alexandra Shipp as one of the college students Pearce's character had an affair with.

18199536_10154461909897091_4590421185245696677_n.jpg?oh=0a1a7339528b0ac1a3609431febfd53b&oe=59914F7B

http://deadline.com/2017/04/alexandra-shipp-spinning-man-simon-kaijers-1202077013/
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Pierce is going for a Sean Connery GF look there, with a suit that looks similar to the slightly mismatched browns he wears after the golf game.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Pierce is going for a Sean Connery GF look there, with a suit that looks similar to the slightly mismatched browns he wears after the golf game.

That's probably my favorite outfit of Bond's throughout the entire series.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote: »

That's probably my favorite outfit of Bond's throughout the entire series.

I really dig it, as do I the similar look Dan wears in SP for the Morocco section. It's something that would be great for anyone to have in their wardrobe, as it's just essentially khaki pants or slacks with a suit jacket and tie, very simple to pull off. Seems very comfy, and not overly formal too. In tailoring speak, suits of browns are for visiting the countryside (you wear "brown out of town") and that look was perfect for the lush greens of Switzerland in GF and the dusty desert of Morocco in SP, where Bond almost blends in.

A bit off topic, but my favorite suit will always be the gray three-piece in GF. Holy moly.

I look forward to seeing Pierce sport it in this film. It seems he'll be playing a somewhat rugged detective with a morally gray history.
    Braders, when I referred to that Connery outfit as a "suit", some suit connoisseur badmouthed me for saying so. ;)

Apparently, blending a tweed blazer and trousers of stiff military cut fabric is not a suit. Something that resembles one, but apparently isn't. I was lost myself. :))
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    I'm having a hard time with that beard, though. No reflection on Pierce - it just reminds me of a colleague I particularly despise.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Braders, when I referred to that Connery outfit as a "suit", some suit connoisseur badmouthed me for saying so. ;)

Apparently, blending a tweed blazer and trousers of stiff military cut fabric is not a suit. Something that resembles one, but apparently isn't. I was lost myself. :))
    I'm afraid your critic is correct @ClarkDevlin. Nevertheless, it's a great smart casual look.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'm afraid your critic is correct @ClarkDevlin. Nevertheless, it's a great smart casual look.
    I've learned my lesson, @bondjames. If it weren't for critics one would never learn, wouldn't you say? ;)
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883

I've learned my lesson, @bondjames. If it weren't for critics one would never learn, wouldn't you say? ;)
    Indeed @ClarkDevlin, as an aspiring connoisseur (ever since I saw Connery as Bond comment on the vintage on which a sherry was based) of the finer things in life, I have never dismissed advice from sartorial enthusiasts.

Indeed @ClarkDevlin, as an aspiring connoisseur (ever since I saw Connery as Bond comment on the vintage on which a sherry was based) of the finer things in life, I have never dismissed advice from sartorial enthusiasts.
    Hope you stick around then, as a mentor. I might need your advice for type of sophisticated cocktails, their recipes and how to blend them. Both for research and entertainment purposes. :D
    After completing work on Spinning Man, Brosnan is set to appear in a suspense thriller film based on the true events of the Maze Prison Escape that took place in 1983 titled H-Block, to be directed by Jim Sheridan. The cast is led by Jamie Dornan (of the Fifty Shades fame) alongside Cillian Murphy as members of the prisoners, and Brosnan will be playing the warden who is the main antagonist of the film.

Is it me or whenever somebody plays "the prison warden" I quickly flash back to Patrick McGoohan in Escape From Alcatraz?

Full story here:
    http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-maze-h-block-prison-break-movie-jim-sheridan-jamie-dornan-cillian-murphy-pierce-brosnan-1202052248/
    After completing work on Spinning Man, Brosnan is set to appear in a suspense thriller film based on the true events of the Maze Prison Escape that took place in 1983 titled H-Block, to be directed by Jim Sheridan. The cast is led by Jamie Dornan (of the Fifty Shades fame) alongside Cillian Murphy as members of the prisoners, and Brosnan will be playing the warden who is the main antagonist of the film.

Is it me or whenever somebody plays "the prison warden" I quickly flash back to Patrick McGoohan in Escape From Alcatraz?

Full story here:
    http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-maze-h-block-prison-break-movie-jim-sheridan-jamie-dornan-cillian-murphy-pierce-brosnan-1202052248/

Sweet! It's shaping up to be an all Irish production, from Sheridan all the way down. I can't wait to hear the native tongues of the actors let loose, as all of them usually have to silence them for their major movie roles inside the states.
    Off the set of Spinning Man with Minnie Driver.

18161720_803297699820738_1173445293593591808_n.jpg

Strangling the cat, no more. ;)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited May 2017 Posts: 5,131
    I watched Mrs. Doubtfire on TV the other day. Brosnan looked great and an obvious Bond in that film.
    These two look very good for 22 years on from GE.
    Come to think of it, Operation: Doubtfire would be a pretty interesting name for a mission Bond is on in the films. Almost has a Fleming or Gardner ring to it...
    edited May 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Although the word Doubt makes it sound a bit of a parody when you'd think of it. Carry On Spying comes to mind.
    When I think of Doubtfire, I just think of someone being unable to doubt a growing fire, or to doubt oncoming gunfire, as in a wartime conflict. Just had a sort of Bondian ring to it is all.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Come to think of it, Operation: Doubtfire would be a pretty interesting name for a mission Bond is on in the films. Almost has a Fleming or Gardner ring to it...

It actually kind of does! Although I would drop the "Operation" part and just call it Doubtfire. It's funny how Bondian it sounds.
    It was a missed opportunity to call it that. Could've had Robin Williams play the cross dressing villain and Sally Field as a Bond girl. Oh what could have been.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    'Doubtfire' sounds so Bondian to me, in part because it immediately makes me think of 'Nightfire,' or even 'Agent Under Fire.'
    Well, we had a SeaFire and a Nightfire. ;)

The point being, there's fire everywhere, I guess. ;)
  • MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.

Stan by your man !.

The point being, there's fire everywhere, I guess. ;)
    Fire Fire Everywhere. ;)
  • RareJamesBondFanRareJamesBondFan Touch it. You can touch it if you want.
    Euphegenia Doubtfire, dear
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Stan by your man !.

If only Zukovsky could see them now!
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

Stan by your man !.

Lovely photo of the two of them ...good to see them both looking so happy,they have both had their share of pain in life.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Happy 64th, Pierce!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Happy birthday Pierce Brosnan.